PDA

View Full Version : Subcultures.

Doc Sark
12-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Do you think that Subcultures still exist? Does anyone think that they belong to some kind of subculture, like Goth, Mod, Skater etc?

Personally, I have never belonged to any particular subculture. I find that my fashion, my musical tastes and ultimately my identity have all been influenced by various subcultures but I have never belonged.

I WANT TO BELONG!!!!!

I don't really.

Anyway. What do you think?

Behold the Void
12-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Eh, they probably do to some extent. I don't really care, I am what I am.

I think people label me as a "goth" because I always wear black, but I always find the concept extremely amusing and don't consider myself to be "goth" so I don't really care.

Cz
12-07-2004, 04:35 PM
I would probably be referred to as a geek, though I've never known anyone to actually say it.

Stereotypes have always existed and always will exist. Some of them are truer than others, but that won't stop people from being grouped under a certain heading, just for the sake of classification. Someone wearing glasses might be called a geek, despite being a star sports player. Someone who wears black might be called goth when in fact they're simply wearing what they consider stylish/comfortable.

It's best not to let this stuff bother you, really. Keeping up with the latest trends is too much work, so people should just go with what they like, rather than what they think others will like.

Pure Strife
12-07-2004, 04:43 PM
If you belong to this one (http://chavscum.co.uk/) you're 70% less likely to get attacked in the street. Seriously.

Psychotic
12-07-2004, 04:46 PM
If you belong to this one (http://chavscum.co.uk/) you're 70% less likely to get attacked in the street. Seriously.Watch a football riot and come back and say that.

Captain Maxx Power
12-07-2004, 04:48 PM
Holy crudd, bang on there! Boy I freakin' HATE charvers.

funny you should mention this. I did a study on this very phenomena, and figured out on a very basic level we fit into three groups, A, B and C. A's being people like myself and most people on this forum, B's being the majority of people, and C's being primarily charver scum. It's all facinating stuff.

Pure Strife
12-07-2004, 04:48 PM
That's like a free for all though, it doesn't count.

Anaisa
12-07-2004, 04:51 PM
If you belong to this one (http://chavscum.co.uk/) you're 70% less likely to get attacked in the street. Seriously.
Thats because there the ones that do the attacking.

Psychotic
12-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Thats because there the ones that do the attacking.Except for gangstas.

Pure Strife
12-07-2004, 04:56 PM
Ali G gangsters or Italian gangsters?

Psychotic
12-07-2004, 04:57 PM
The Black and Asian ones. Basically Chavs are white versions of them, but with more burberry.

Pure Strife
12-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Complete with "bling" and oddly angled hats, of course.

Psychotic
12-07-2004, 05:00 PM
Not to mention an inexplicable love of <s>c</s>rap music.

Pure Strife
12-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Well of course, being shot 9 times automatically makes the music good "coz ee's ard mate". You never know, with Busted and McFly taking off soon you could get beaten up for NOT listening to Iron Maiden in a few years.

fire_of_avalon
12-07-2004, 05:08 PM
ALL OF YOU, STOP BEING ENGLISH AND TALKING ABOUT ENGLISH THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

:greenie:

Eö Telrúnya
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
I think they're just stereotypes. Being a "goth" or a "punk" doesn't mean that much any more, because there are so many different types of ... people expressing their own individuality through the clothes they wear and the styles they sport.

Cz
12-07-2004, 05:12 PM
ALL OF YOU, STOP BEING ENGLISH AND TALKING ABOUT ENGLISH THINGS I DON'T UNDERSTAND.

So...how 'bout them tea and scones? :p

Psychotic
12-07-2004, 05:13 PM
So...how 'bout them tea and scones? :pBloody hell, that Shaun Wright-Phillips, eh? :joey:

Pure Strife
12-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Stop being foreign then and we will.

Cz
12-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Bloody hell, that Shaun-Wright Phillips, eh?
Not to mention Stuart Downing. Soon we'll be able to make probing movements from both sides.

My, that was carefully worded. :D

Misfit
12-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Eh, they probably do to some extent. I don't really care, I am what I am.
Yeah p_q

OH! And this morning I ate tiny muffins for breakfast. *nods*

Cz
12-07-2004, 05:23 PM
This topic is making some very irritating ads appear at the top of the page. :mad:

EDIT: Or at least it was. Now it's advertising Final Fantasy Tactics. :p

Misfit
12-07-2004, 05:25 PM
I see... "Goth Love"

Eww EoFF, you weirdo site.

Psychotic
12-07-2004, 05:26 PM
This topic is making some very irritating ads appear at the top of the page. :mad:
Cheap Final Fantasy Gil? :confused:

http://www.abc.net.au/soccer/galleries/eplwk9/images/04_shaun.jpg

I think what we need is a picture of Shaun Wright-Phillips slaying the evil Finn, Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Anyway, all these groups exist, but when people get older they just don't care about it anymore. It takes chavs longer to realise though.

Pure Strife
12-07-2004, 05:27 PM
"Gothic Store", "Goth Punk Style" and "Gothic Store"....

Odd adds indeed. Like goatse in disguise....

Cz
12-07-2004, 05:30 PM

I think what we need is a picture of Shaun Wright-Phillips slaying the evil Finn, Jussi Jaaskelainen.There's nothing wrong with Juicy Jaaskelainen. :cool:

Anyway, all these groups exist, but when people get older they just don't care about it anymore. It takes chavs longer to realise though.Agreed. It seems that older people (either through being more sensible or just plain boring) tend to divide themselves into cliques much less than the impressionable youth of today. :D

Maxico
12-07-2004, 05:42 PM

I think what we need is a picture of Shaun Wright-Phillips slaying the evil Finn, Jussi Jaaskelainen.

Slaying? Hes obviously floating sideways with arms outstretched to avoid the ball that Jaaskelainen is propelling towards him with his unholy powers.

Doc Sark
12-07-2004, 06:45 PM
OMG!!!

I can't bloody believe it!!! The one thread that I make NOT about football, ends up relating back to football!!!!!!

Getting back on topic.

Agreed. It seems that older people (either through being more sensible or just plain boring) tend to divide themselves into cliques much less than the impressionable youth of today.

I think that is very true. Younger people, especially kids in their late preteens and early teens feel the need to identify much more closely with a subculture than those that are older. A sense of belonging is desperately important at a young age.

Mindflare
12-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Yes, yes. Among us young, subcultures exist, and in a strong way. At least from what I tell. There are many who don't fall into them, or fall into many different groups. But for the most part, there are clear dividing lines between these groups. I never really meshed with any of the standard groups, but, I associated among certain groups. That was in high school. Now, being in college, I don't see it as much. To an extent, yes, but nobody seems to care anymore.

Doc Sark
12-07-2004, 09:53 PM
Is it that nobody cares or that people of your own age don't care though? As you get older you define your own identity and the notions of belonging to subculture become far less important.

DMKA
12-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Seriously though, I have no clue what a "chav" is. XD

Subcultures do still exsist, without a doubt. I however don't belong to any, and never have...and been aware of it anyway.

Doc Sark
12-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Seriously though, I have no clue what a "chav" is. XD

A chav is part of a group of chavs who are all social degenerates and have single handedly given burberry caps and fcuk t-shirts a bad name with their wanton acts of violence and criminal damage. They truly are a plague on society.

I imagine the Chav to be the english equivalent of the American Inbred Hillbilly. Like Cletus the slack jawed yokel.

SomethingBig
12-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Do you mean if they exist in school? If so, they do. The 5 major ones are goth, punk, prep, jock, and geek. Not everyone fits into one category, as I don't consider myself any of those. Each phase(I don't consider them subcultures) comes with their own stereotypes. Know, however, that I've created these observations from 4 different schools. Note how I used the word "stereotype". No one say something like, "Oh, man, you have disgraced my subculture, you dirty smileheart! I EFFING HATE YOU!" because I already said that these are only stereotypes wrought on by observations.

Goth - These kids are most significant for wearing all dark clothing, leather collars, and spikey everything. Every once in a while, however, they'll wear unnecessarily flashy clothing. They wear these clothes to make an impression on our conformist world. They listen to angry music with screaming people. They constantly look angry and look as if they've hated the entire world and everyone within it since they were little zygotes. Other than people of their own clique, they tend to stick to themselves. Because of how they shun society, society tends to shun them. The breeding ground for goths is Hot Topic.

Punk - These people wear tight jeans and flambouyant clothing. They like to skateboard, some get into mischief, and they do unusual things. They listen to punk music(ex: Avril Lavigne).

Jock - Jocks are the athletes of the school. Regardless of what people seem to think, they're actually quite intelligent. I've met many of them and probably only 3 out of every 10 jocks seem "unintelligent". There's not much else to say about them.

Prep - These guys are the bigshots of the schools. They wear really fancy-shmancy stuff, like sunglasses, gold/silver necklaces, gold watches, etc. They never wear t-shirts and are usually very diligent students.

Geek - "Geeks"/"Nerds" have sort of diminished throughout the years. However, there are still some people that are considered nerds. These are the people who put school over anything and everything else. During the weekends, they spend 80% of their time in their books. These people enjoy shows such as Star Trek and obsess over Star Wars. When they need/want new clothing, they make their mothers go out to buy them.

I have not even begun to touch the phases of teenage life. There are, at least, 10 more.

Psychotic
12-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Nah, Chavs are urban. It's like...urban muggers and thugs but with the intelligence of hillbillies. They're also racist and pick on people who don't fit in with how they dress. You can find them working at McDonalds, probably! That about sums it up.

Mindflare
12-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Is it that nobody cares or that people of your own age don't care though? As you get older you define your own identity and the notions of belonging to subculture become far less important.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear there. I meant that those of my age don't seem to care about their categories and groups anymore.

Chaos
12-07-2004, 10:33 PM
Chav...hehe, I'm doing my art project on them in school Rawk.

If I had to label myself I'd say I'm more of a punk kid. But I mean, in each so called subculture there are subsubcultures. Punk - Hardcore Punkers, Gutter Punkers, Oi-Punkers, New-Punkers, Old School - Punkers Blah blah blah. People in subgroups want to differentiate themselves more so they make up more subgroups and more subgroups to the extent that you have Emo-hardcore-punk-oi-skater-with-a-bit-of-indie-kids. There comes a point when your like "noo moooore".

But yeah, as much as I'd prefer just to say 'I'm me...deal with it...' I think I'd fall more under the punk classification.

But meh, what do I know? I'm not judging me..

Chaos

Doc Sark
12-07-2004, 10:47 PM
Well SomethingBig, You have actively defined 5 subcultures present within American national culture. Some people never grow out of a subculture and for them it is more than just a phase, it is a "subculture" ie a social group within a national culture that has distinctive patterns of behaviour and beliefs. This can relate to clothes, music places of consumption etc.

Subcultural theory is based heavily on stereotypes which is why it is often viewed as a problematic study, nevertheless a stereotype is a caricature of a subculture. The stereotype would never have existed without the subculture.

Chaos
12-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Punk - These people wear tight jeans and flambouyant clothing. They like to skateboard, some get into mischief, and they do unusual things. They listen to punk music(ex: Avril Lavigne).

As a 'Punk' I really REALLY have to disagree with your example of Avril Lavingne.

She makes pop records. End of story.

*shakes head sadly*

Maybe I'll stretch to punk-ultra-lite to discribe her. ;)

Chaos

gokufusionss1
12-07-2004, 11:15 PM
i'm a generation x'er i don't belong to a subculture
I AM AN INDIVIDUAL ect...........

shaun wright phillips is overrated, anyone who plays for man city can look good. Even me

P.s i think my little brother is turning into a chav he's 15 and spent friday night drinking cider in the park and listens to gansta music, please help me cure him without the aid of a cricket bat.

Psychotic
12-07-2004, 11:38 PM
shaun wright phillips is overrated, anyone who plays for man city can look good.HE'S SEXY AND YOU KNOW IT! :mad2:

Shoeberto
12-08-2004, 12:24 AM
Do you mean if they exist in school? If so, they do. The 5 major ones are goth, punk, prep, jock, and geek. Not everyone fits into one category, as I don't consider myself any of those. Each phase(I don't consider them subcultures) comes with their own stereotypes. Know, however, that I've created these observations from 4 different schools. Note how I used the word "stereotype". No one say something like, "Oh, man, you have disgraced my subculture, you dirty smileheart! I EFFING HATE YOU!" because I already said that these are only stereotypes wrought on by observations.

Goth - These kids are most significant for wearing all dark clothing, leather collars, and spikey everything. Every once in a while, however, they'll wear unnecessarily flashy clothing. They wear these clothes to make an impression on our conformist world. They listen to angry music with screaming people. They constantly look angry and look as if they've hated the entire world and everyone within it since they were little zygotes. Other than people of their own clique, they tend to stick to themselves. Because of how they shun society, society tends to shun them. The breeding ground for goths is Hot Topic.

Jock - Jocks are the athletes of the school. Regardless of what people seem to think, they're actually quite intelligent. I've met many of them and probably only 3 out of every 10 jocks seem "unintelligent". There's not much else to say about them.

Prep - These guys are the bigshots of the schools. They wear really fancy-shmancy stuff, like sunglasses, gold/silver necklaces, gold watches, etc. They never wear t-shirts and are usually very diligent students.

Geek - "Geeks"/"Nerds" have sort of diminished throughout the years. However, there are still some people that are considered nerds. These are the people who put school over anything and everything else. During the weekends, they spend 80% of their time in their books. These people enjoy shows such as Star Trek and obsess over Star Wars. When they need/want new clothing, they make their mothers go out to buy them.

I have not even begun to touch the phases of teenage life. There are, at least, 10 more.
I have to disagree with you on a few points, based more on my experience in high school.

Goth - You hit the nail mostly on the head, though some of them do exhibit kindness and intelligence to non-authorities and people who aren't in the popular cliques.
Punks - In my school, punks are the biggest assholes. That's it. They're musical elitists and overall assholes. End of story.
Prep - No arguments here.
Jock - I agree on some of the points of them being intelligent, book-wise, but they can be some of the biggest dumbasses in every other topic. Most think they're above other people.
Geeks - Okay, hold UP. Maybe the '50s stereotype of a geek is one who stays home studying, but that isn't true anymore. New geeks are internet or video game addicts. Many abide by "I'm smart I'm just too lazy to do the work" (which is complete bullhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/lovesmile.gif, but so many follow it by heart.) But yeah, I consider myself part of this group, and while I do try to achieve scholarly, I don't freely spend my time doing this. Computers are the new geek thing.

Also, a lot of people may not have experienced this group, but at my school we call them the Farmers. Basically, they're all FFA members who always wear wranglers and boots, and there's two classes of them - momma's boys and degenerates. Momma's boys always have their shirts tucked in and are usually nice guys, though very naive about things outside the farm. Degenerates are smokers and drinkers who follow the same redneck foundations from their parents. Mostly all farmers are sexist, racist, and completely naive of anything outside of our small town.

Turk
12-08-2004, 12:52 AM
The only "subculture" I discriminate against are goths and drug-heavy people.

theundeadhero
12-08-2004, 01:03 AM
I belong to this little sub-culture called EOFF. Avy Bigbush (as me and a friend has grown to call her, don't ask) loosly fits in with this new, whiney "emo punk" group, along with story of the year, blink 182, and so on. Whiney emo punk *shudder*!

Shlup
12-08-2004, 02:53 AM
WARNING: Attempting to impose labels on Shlup may result in serious injury or death.

theundeadhero
12-08-2004, 03:07 AM
Your such a Shluppy! ( To me this isn't offensive, sorry if it is to anyone else)

SomethingBig
12-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Whoops, my mistake, Hsu. There are just so many types of "geeks" that it's hard to give a universal definition of them.

Kirobaito
12-08-2004, 05:35 AM
From Rowell's definition, I'm none of those. However, I have always considered myself a nerd, but I don't play video games that much and I never study for anything. I don't do my homework unless I can't copy it.

I make fun of non-conformists because of their many paradoxes. I wrote a research paper on them. :)