PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of Souls Discussion

Camthalion
12-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Grr...i just spent like 15 minutes explaining stuff here and my account cut out.So i'll have to sum this up quickly.

This game is dear to me, and its been 13 years since ive played it. It had a huge impact on the types of games i would come to like lator on in life. Im going to buy a DS soon based on this game ( i want the DS for other games as well, FF1 just solidified it) But i Theres some things i need to know...

Graphics
I know FF1 has been totally revamped ( i didnt know about the ps1 revamp untill today) I must say i was kind of disapointed this. I pictured myself playing this game i loved so much as a child on a Ds just the way i had left it. But i guess as long as the soul of the game is maintained then all is well. How far off is it from the original

Levels,exp,
I heard that magic is based off of MP now and that its alot easier to beat the game at lower levels. While its ben so long since ive played this game i dont know if these would effect mee too much but i dont know if i like the idea of beaing able to beat the game easily. It just dosnt make sense to have the same difficulty playing at lower levels as higher levels. I mean its nice to HAVE to explore around to get your exp high enough to combat new foes. Does this take away from it ?

Music, Sound
PLEASE GOD LET THE MUSIC BE THE SAME! heh, thats the soul of the game i was talking about right there. The original music is so important to me here...i mean i expect it to be revamped as well...but please dont tell me its all new music. Is there much of a difference?

Anyway please reply...this is alot shorter than my original post so i'm up for further discussion.

Necronopticous
12-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Some may disagree but I really liked this release of it, I think it is the most solid version of Final Fantasy 1 yet. Least buggy, prettiest, most delicious translation, and the MP is (in my opinion) much better than the old "use spells from this level, this many times" thing. Yes, the game is definately easier because of the MP change but to compensate new areas have been added with tough boss enemies like Ahriman and Echidna. I personally don't think you'll be dissapointed if you go into the game with an open mind. The music is slightly remastered but not at all changed, all the tunes you grew up with you'll be grooving to again. I also suggest Dawn of Souls over Origins on playstation because it's portable, fast loading, and very handy to be able to save anywhere so you don't have to worry about playing it in any situation.

I am very happy with Dawn of Souls and I think anyone in their right mind would be too.

Camthalion
12-08-2004, 01:54 AM
WEll ill probably buy it anyway and force feed it to myself if i dont like it. But as i was searching i found this:

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/nes/index-af.html?

Look under FF1...i'm assuming these are the revamped tunes done for ps1? Is it safe to assume that these will be in the DS version? If so i wont be disapointed.

abrojtm
12-08-2004, 02:24 AM
Well the new game is for GBA, not DS. So it has midi sound quality. Good game though, the extra dungeons are real fun (I haven't replayed the FFII yet, but it seems to have a totally revamped game).

DJZen
12-08-2004, 02:31 AM
FFI for PSX also had MIDI sound quality.

Camthalion
12-08-2004, 03:15 AM
Yeah i'm an idiot...i keep saying Ds cas thats the system i'm gona play it on.....but are those midi's what i can expect for Dawn of souls?

Captain Maxx Power
12-08-2004, 11:44 AM
FFI for PSX also had MIDI sound quality.

Rather high quality MIDI to my ears. Certainly sounded better than say FF7's soundtrack in MIDI format.

DJZen
12-08-2004, 06:48 PM
That's 'cause they used better MIDI voices. Understandable given the 6 year difference in the releases.

Dignified Pauper
12-08-2004, 10:15 PM
I thought the difficulty was incredibly dubbed down. From going through the extra dungeous, i was level 74 when facing Chaos. The MP system made it INCREDIBLY easy, which was ok to rush through and see the changes, but i liked the PS normal version. Though this translation was better.

I haven't had a chance to play through FF2

Anyone know what is benefitted from new game+mode on FF1?

Captain Maxx Power
12-09-2004, 12:18 AM
In the PSX version it was used to fill out your omake section by doing the opposite difficulty than the one you'd completed e.g. If you'd done normal, you now had to do easy etc. This includes fighting every monster and finding every treasure chest. As for the GBA version I can't imagine, apart from starting either with your levels/equipement or an already partially completed omake, incase you missed anything first time around.

Necronopticous
12-09-2004, 12:29 AM
I played Final Fantasy II for a couple hours yesterday and found that the leveling system has been "dealt with". There is no more cheating by doing the select/cancel trick to raise attacks, spells, etc. The group seems to gain HP and MP on a fair basis even if you don't get to critical health in battle and everything seems to level up a lot more reasonably. It should play more like a regular game now where you don't have to worry about beating yourself up and tricking the game into making it think you're attacking 100 times just to get to decent stats. I'll let you guys know when I progress further into it, I'm still working on Final Fantasy 1 and I'm playing it on the actual cartridge and now using the speed up emulator button so give me awhile :D

Captain Maxx Power
12-09-2004, 11:11 AM
From what I've heard in FF2 it's near impossible to get 16 weapon skills, but there is an even sneakier trick where you can train with one lower skill, then change your equipped weapon before the end of the battle, and the currently equipped weapon will gain the full experience rather than the other one. So for example if you had staves at level 1, and swords at level 10, and you gain enough stave experience to get a level, and then switched to a sword before the battle ended, then you'd gain the level in sword rather than staves.

Very cheap, and not something I'd do. I'll stick to beating up flans.