PDA

View Full Version : The spawn of your favorite position.

theundeadhero
12-08-2004, 03:47 AM
I was thinking about the "Whats your favorite position" post the other day while I was driving my truck. Then I started thinking about how people like to drive. This poll came to mind and I decided to give it the gusto. (You have no idea how many ideas I let slide in the name of moderation) While driving your vehicle, how do you hold your steering wheel?

Martyr
12-08-2004, 03:58 AM
Always hold your left hand on the wheel unless you must make a hand signal.

I wrote an entire report on the inadequesies and consequences of misusing your left hand while driving.

Two of my points include:

- Holding your left hand out the window promotes the ignorance to hand signals, which some people really need sometimes and some people sometimes get into crashes because the rule has been forgotten among the masses.

- Many people think that tapping their left hand is cool. Especially in a hot rod. But only a stick driver has any kind of speed (Assuming the vehicle doesn't have a wratchet shifter, which most don't.). So an inability to drive stick is a hit against a person's worth as a driver. And a poser is immediately found out when that left gives away that a fast looking car is an automatic.

-----------

Left hand is preferred. Both hand is fine too. You don't have to put on a show like you're shifting when you're not. That's goofy and unsafe and unnecessary.

But never only right hand. It isn't even cool. It looks a lot cooler to have only your left hand on the wheel (If coolness is what you're going for...)

Edit/Note: If you don't stick your left hand out the window and if you don't own a street racer (Nor want to), then my arguments fall sort of flat. I guess. But my oipinion still stands where it counts!

fire_of_avalon
12-08-2004, 04:02 AM
My right hand or sometimes both if it's raining or snowing really hard, or I'm nervous about traffic. I'm all cool and laid back like that.

Logan
12-08-2004, 04:14 AM
My dad uses his hands. I don't drive. I don't pay attention when he drives.

Necronopticous
12-08-2004, 04:23 AM
http://demented3d.com/ffiv/images/meincar.jpg

Logan
12-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Necronopticous:
The first thing I thought was, "Wtf is proni?"
And then I realized I'm stupid :D

Shlup
12-08-2004, 04:33 AM
I prefer to drive from the passenger seat.

Kirobaito
12-08-2004, 04:35 AM
I have two hands at 5 and 7. No bother what I'm simultaneously doing.

Leeza
12-08-2004, 05:14 AM
Either both or just my left because my right is usually on the stick.

Del Murder
12-08-2004, 05:27 AM
Exactly like necro's pic except without the left hand at all.

Sacred Phoenix
12-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Left on the wheel, cause the right usually has a coffee, bagel or smoke in it. I usually only use two if the road conditions suck (like yesterday, anyone from Toronto would know), meaning lots of snow and/or freezing rain and alot of wind.

escobert
12-08-2004, 05:36 AM
Depends on if I'm smoking a cigarette or if I'm driving standard. Always one handed though.

Eö Telrúnya
12-08-2004, 07:13 AM
I always use both hands, because I'm a really nervous driver and I hate driving. If I don't have both hands on the wheel at all times, I feel really insecure and dangerous. Something inside is telling me that I really shouldn't have a driving license!

Samuraid
12-08-2004, 07:24 AM
Manual trans = left hand on wheel, right hand on shifter
Automatic trans = right or left hand...depending upon...a sudden whim.

SeeDRankLou
12-08-2004, 07:34 AM
I usually drive with my left hand because I very often have a drink of some kind (not alcoholic of course) when I'm driving.

Meat Puppet
12-08-2004, 07:47 AM
I can drive and automatic with my left foot on the steering wheel and right foot on the pedals. :love:

And when I can't, I drive with one or two hands on the steering wheel.

theundeadhero
12-08-2004, 12:49 PM
My little ranger is a stick so it's the left hand but my monster truck goes off a whim. Mostly left.

m4tt
12-08-2004, 03:03 PM
When driving on city streets I usually have my left hand on the wheel and right hand on the stick.

When on the freeway I hardly ever touch the stick (unless there is traffic), and I drive with my right hand. My left hand sits on the arm rest or wherever.

Faris
12-08-2004, 04:32 PM
i'm not aloud to drive yet :(
but i have driven before, my mom's car stalled not to far from the house, my dad wasn't home but his car was still there. So my mom pushed her car using my dads car, and i steered her car using BOTH hands; i was paranoid :(

:cookie:

Jebus
12-08-2004, 04:40 PM
I don't have a license!

Before my permit expired two years ago, I drove with both hands on the wheel, as I had never driven before and was nervous.

bennator
12-08-2004, 08:49 PM
My car is so tiny, I actually drive with my knees on the bottom of the wheel, and have my knees steer, unless I'm turing a sharp corner or something.

LH
12-09-2004, 12:30 AM
When I was learning how to drive I always used both hands because it felt safer. Now that I am past that learning phase, I find it impossible to use both hands. I prefer to use my right arm, but I can bust out the left if I need to.

Many people think that tapping their left hand is cool. Especially in a hot rod. But only a stick driver has any kind of speed (Assuming the vehicle doesn't have a wratchet shifter, which most don't.).

You silly little man. Having a manual transmission doesn't add any speed whatsoever from a dead stop, which is the true measure of a car's acceleration. If you have a larger engine, which generally is the higher end of the speed spectrum, the higher RPM's that are allowed by a manual transmission are irrelevant anyway because most of a V8's torque (acceleration) occurs in the low RPM range. So basically, the only time you would need a manual transmission is in the instance where you need to downshift in order to pass another car (which is in no way representative of one car's speed over another... the manual car is in a lower gear which allows for drawing more power from the engine whereas the automatic is stuck in a higher cruising gear), or if you have a puny 4-cylinder that needs to climb to 6 or 7 thousand RPM in order to achieve any real power.

I challenge anyone with a manual transmission and smaller engine to try to stack up against an automatic muscle car from the 60's in a drag race. Unless you're driving a Ferrari or a Lambo you're going to get rocked. All that low-end torque makes a manual transmission pointless. I've absolutely roasted a bunch of manual cars in my automatic Trans Am, and I have a third generation (1987), which isn't exactly the peak of their performance.

Fuzakeru
12-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Necronopticous:
The first thing I thought was, "Wtf is proni?"
And then I realized I'm stupid :D
You aren't alone there, trust me. =D

meowwl
12-12-2004, 07:29 AM
With both hands most of the time, on rar occasions with my knee. But NEVER while talking on my cell phone :mad2: ..one of my pet peeves