PDA

View Full Version : Heisman Trophy 2004

Strider
12-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Even though we all know that the Heisman Trophy is nothing more than who garners the most propoganda, it's something we might as well talk about, anyway. I mean, you don't really think it goes to the best college football player in the nation, do you?

Anyway, the race this year still appears to be interesting. Four of the five finalists, though, hail from two schools. Hmm. From USC, there's quarterback Matt Leinart and running back Reggie Bush. I can see where Leinart makes the cut, but Bush? This is something I don't understand. His big game against UCLA aside, Bush's numbers aren't overly impressive against fellow back like Cal's J.J. Arrington or Texas' Cedric Benson.

From Oklahoma, there's quarterback Jason White and running back Adrian Peterson. White is looking to become the second player in history to win two Heismans, but his stats pale in comparison to his monster 2003 campaign. I have a feeling that the Sooners' romp over Colorado in the Big 12 title game had something to do with his appearance here. Peterson, on the other hand, had a pretty good season for a freshman. There wasn't a single game I watched this year that he didn't impress me, and I saw a lot of 'em. He definitely belongs.

And then there's Alex Smith. He's Utah's quarterback, the leader of a non-BCS team that crashed the big-time party and earned himself a spot in the Heisman finals. As both a passing and running threat, Smith had a combined 38 touchdowns while helming the Utes to their best season ever. Not bad at all, I'd say.

Now, two questions. If it were up to you, who would have been the five finalists? Personally, I would've taken Peterson, Smith, Cal's Arrington, Michigan WR Braylon Edwards and Toledo QB Bruce Gradkowski. Secondly, since it wasn't up to you, who do you think deserves the trophy?

The Captain
12-09-2004, 10:05 PM
I think Peterson or Bush should take the hardware, but I have a feeling Leinart will.

I'm not sure who I'd nominate, but Bush and Peterson would certainly be among them. I'm usually not a big fan of QB's in college as some can put up stats but really aren't all that great in reality. It's more about the systems in college, though that can be true in the NFL as well.

Take care all.

muchacho
12-09-2004, 11:18 PM
i think jason white is a great QB, but when you put his stats this year with last years i dont think is cuts out. plus i think hes going to suck in the NFL.

im gonna say reggie bush, just cause USC has lined him up everywhere and he has put up great numbers in each of them. plus he only has 1 or 2 TDs within 17 yards, so that says he makes the big play.

matt leinart, i think will be a good draft pick and a above average QB in the NFL. i think hes gonna be like chad pennington(dont ask me why i just do)

adrian peterson is gonna win the heisman.......... next year