PDA

View Full Version : FFVIII PC Bug Help (disc 3 spoiler)

Omicron
12-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Getting straight to the point...

I believe I have encountered a game-stopping bug near the end of Disc 3 of Final Fantasy VIII for the PC (although it may apply to the PSX version too), and was wondering if anybody here could help me.

I have just received the mission briefing for the final assault on the Lunatic Pandora from Laguna and co. at the Esthar Presidential Palace. As far as I can see from the numerous FAQs dotted around the internet, in order to progress the story I have to make contact using the Ragnarok with the Lunatic Pandora hovering over Tears Point on the world map. I have attempted to bash into the LP from just about every possible angle, but no cutscene or scene transition occurs.

Am I missing something really obvious here?

Or, as I suspect, have I encountered a major bug preventing me from completing the game? If this is the case, does anybody know of a way around it?

As a last resort, does anybody know of any sites with downloads of the game save files? Or is anybody willing to e-mail me save files of their own at around this point in the game?

Many thanks for your time.

Auronhart
12-09-2004, 07:13 PM
I have just received the mission briefing for the final assault on the Lunatic Pandora from Laguna and co. at the Esthar Presidential Palace. As far as I can see from the numerous FAQs dotted around the internet, in order to progress the story I have to make contact using the Ragnarok with the Lunatic Pandora hovering over Tears Point on the world map. I have attempted to bash into the LP from just about every possible angle, but no cutscene or scene transition occurs.
That doesn't sound like your typical bug. Maybe you had talked to Laguna and then loaded a save from before the next time you played? (in other words, check if he is in the ragnarok)

Omicron
12-09-2004, 07:23 PM
He is very definately in the Ragnarok, along with Kiros and Ward. Believe me, I spoke to them again and again in the hopes of triggering some kind of event.

I even tried reloading a save from Squall and Rinoa on the Ragnarok, just before the 'Eyes on Me' scene, played through to the same point again with exactly the same results.

Auronhart
12-09-2004, 07:55 PM
I haven't had any problem with this on my computer, so it is either your disk or your computer that is causing the problem. (the PC version isn't exactly bugproof, my brother thinks they got a couple of co-op students to port it from the PSX) I have some save files around that part, but I will have to check their exact status.

Xxiawakin
12-09-2004, 08:07 PM
I never had a problem...
Try talking to everyone?

Omicron
12-09-2004, 08:14 PM
I hear ya about the crappy conversion - thing is, being at University it's rather dificult to hook up a PS2 to a TV in a tiny room, so this was pretty much my only option. At least we get better FMVs than the FFVII port.

Apart from just being annoying, this bug is baffling the hell out of me - the discs are brand new (literally not a scratch), and my comp is about 4x the recommended spec. Even weirder is a bug that seems to crop upoccaisionally in some of my latest saves - a random section of text from the 'Obel Lake Mystery' sidequest crops up and when I get back in the Ragnarok it prompts me on the controls like I was driving it for the first time. Ah well.

If you could get me those save files, it would be absolutely wonderful. I've been tearing my hair out over this all day. Many, many thanks.

Oh, and Xia - I have talked to just about everyone plot related that I can think of, although if you have someone specific in mind then I'd be glad to hear about it.

Auronhart
12-09-2004, 08:26 PM
Hmm, do you want me to try to get a similar setup to what you have, if so, I will need to know what you have. Maybe you should just e-mail me your save and then I will send you one back as soon as possible.

Omicron
12-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Just sent the e-mail, although I can't attach files using the board's system.

Auronhart
12-09-2004, 09:06 PM
You should get the e-mail in a second, I hope it was something that messed up in your save, not your game.