PDA

View Full Version : Eye health

DeBlayde
12-10-2004, 12:35 AM
the Eyes on EoFF thread made me think of this one.

I'm planning on getting lazer surgery on my eyes because I'm so active that glasses are much more of a pain than they are worth.

I heard, though, that some people get the surgery and then a couple years later need glasses again.

has anybody heard of somebody who had lazer surgery and then a few years later was back where they started?

Shlup
12-10-2004, 01:11 AM
My uncle had laser eye surgery and now he's blind.

MoonsEcho
12-10-2004, 01:22 AM
I've heard lots of cases like that. It's been a couple years since I've been to my eye doctor, but when asking him about it, he told me about people who had it done with bad results. I can't remember now if it was LASIK surgery or not, though. People would end up years later with their eyes almost destroyed. He advised me to wait until more time goes by and more things are perfected and more results seen before deciding if I want it or not. I know I sound vague, but it's been awhile since I've talked to anyone about it. I can find out more current results for you, though, and post them later.

EDIT: How bad is your vision? I would love to be able to get my vision corrected without wearing contacts, but my vision is so bad that even with the surgery I'd still need to wear them. A weaker prescription, of course, though. And I've been wearing them for so long that I would rather just keep on wearing them rather than have my eyes laser-cut and still have to wear them. Just do a lot of research before you decide on this. :spin:

Logan
12-10-2004, 01:24 AM
My mother had that and they messed up and made her vision worse than before. Haha! :D

Chris
12-10-2004, 01:42 AM
the Eyes on EoFF thread made me think of this one.

I'm planning on getting lazer surgery on my eyes because I'm so active that glasses are much more of a pain than they are worth.

I heard, though, that some people get the surgery and then a couple years later need glasses again.

has anybody heard of somebody who had lazer surgery and then a few years later was back where they started?

<!--Who gives a f$#! about your f#$#!NG eyes :mad2:-->
No. If you have nothing useful to add...just don't. ~ Leeza

escobert
12-10-2004, 01:47 AM
I only need glasses for reading :D. My uncle has glocoma (spelling?) and his glasses are really thick. I hope I dont ahve to wear glasses when I get old and wrinkly like PG :D

Carnage
12-10-2004, 03:15 AM
The only way you can get eye surgery is if your over 18 and your prescription hasnt changed in 8 years. There are exceptions like your going blind or something.

No. If you have nothing useful to add...just don't. ~ Leeza

I wanna know what he said :( (PM me)

Meat Puppet
12-10-2004, 03:27 AM
I don't wear glasses at all. I got scared when I was doing an eye examination for my drivers licence, because I couldn't read the letters, but it turned out my eye balls fogged up or something.

I'm pretty sure (although don't quote me on this) that eye lazer surgery makes you go blind. Or blinder then you are already. It might be a temporary solution. But I don't know!

Del Murder
12-10-2004, 04:14 AM
The lazer eye thing scares me. I'd much rather just go get a new perscription every couple of years. In fact, I'm due for one. I've been getting headaches recently and I hope eye strain is the cause, because that is easy to fix.

DeBlayde
12-10-2004, 04:16 AM
I hope I dont ahve to wear glasses when I get old and wrinkly like PG :D

:( God. if PG's old, then I'd best be bustin out the Grampa shawl and the little old person walker thing. but, the plus side is I can start whackin people with my cane and talkin about "back in my day...":twak:

most of the people I've spoken with that have had lazer surgery done it's been recent or within the last several years. I've not spoken to anybody about really long term effects.

though, since it's a fairly new thing, I don't suppose I'd be able to talk to somebody who had it done 15 years ago because it wasn't done 15 years ago, and if it was, technology is orders of magnitude better nowadays.

Sacred Phoenix
12-10-2004, 04:58 AM
I had a friend that had it done, and her eysight ended up being perfect, even at night. However, she was playing with her dog and accidently hit herself in the eye, and now her vision is really messed up. The only way to fix it is to have the surgery again. Personally I would never do that, cause i wouldnt ever do anything that would comprimise my eye sight. (the surgury, not playing with my dog :P)

MoonsEcho
12-10-2004, 05:07 AM
That is what the biggest risk is. There is no long term data. And with all the bad things I've heard so far, I think I'd wait a good number of years until they fix some bugs, so to speak. It also varies for each person, so until it's been on the market longer and there IS long term data to look at.

Miriel
12-10-2004, 05:17 AM
My parents both did it a couple years ago, they have 20/20 vision now. I really want to get it done, contacts piss me off. Especially when you accidentally sleep with them on and then they cling to your eyeballs and hurt like hell when you peel them off.

Yamaneko
12-10-2004, 05:29 AM
It's recommended you do the surgery only once your prescriptions stabilizes. For most people that happens in their late twenties, early thirties. I'm going to do it. I hate contacts, but not as much as glasses, though.

MoonsEcho
12-10-2004, 05:36 AM
I'm so used to my contacts I don't even really notice them anymore. Except when putting them on and taking them off, of course. I've been wearing them since I was nine and it's just another part of me now, really. I don't like soft lenses though, I've had to wear them on a few occasions and I couldn't stand them. And yes, falling asleep with contacts in is usually not an ideal thing. It's happened to me more than a few times, and it makes your eyes so dry the next morning.

Glasses irritate the mess out of me. Which is why I don't wear them. I suppose I should get a cheap pair as backup, though. .-.

Yamaneko
12-10-2004, 05:51 AM
You wear hard lenses? I couldn't imagine ever wearing those.

Del Murder
12-10-2004, 06:07 AM
For some reason I feel more comfortable with my glasses on. I guess I like having something to hide behind.

MoonsEcho
12-10-2004, 06:13 AM
I have rigid gas permeable lenses. They're not as hard as the hard lenses, not near as soft as the soft lenses, and they're small like the hard ones. I remember it was a bit uncomfortable when I first got them, but it didn't take long at all to get used to them. I wouldn't ever want to have to wear glasses instead of contacts.

Del Murder
12-10-2004, 06:17 AM
Girls become 10X more attractive when they wear glasses. Not sure why I find this to be true.

Rydia of Mist
12-10-2004, 06:24 AM
As far as I know, simple LASIK couldn't cure my vision problem, since much of it actually involves the musculature that controls my vision's alignment. This is also why I can't consider contact lenses. I'm bespectacled for life.

Good thing I like how I look in glasses. ^^;; Got some spiffay new almost-rimless frames now too.

DeBlayde
12-10-2004, 07:47 AM
well, I guess another 5 years or so won't kill anybody. I can wait that long to get zapped.

I had a good buddy in highschool who wore hard lenses. he got in a fight with his brother one night, and the brother hucked a spoon at him. hit him right in the eye and shattered the lense. Pj said he never remembered saying as many swear words in front of his mother before or since. :D his eyes are ok now, though, far as I know. haven't seen him in 4 years, though.

my good friend Jamie says I look much better without my glasses. my wife agrees with her. as does my little sister. 3 people whose opinions I trust agree.

apparantly, one doctor thinks I have a slight astigmatism. the other one doesn't, but this one does. so he says contacts would be exceeding expensive.

and I'm poor.:(
but not for long! :D

Samuraid
12-10-2004, 02:49 PM
One of my profs had it done and he said he can see better and doesn't need glasses anymore but his night vision has degraded.

One of my friends had it done and had a little trouble seeing for the few weeks after the surgery; after that he could see excellently.