PDA

View Full Version : Read this.

Rainecloud
12-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Chances are, if you're a regular poster here at EoFF, you enjoy reading. Well, at least to a certain extent. But, if there's one thing I've noticed about kids these days (goodness, I sound like a pensioner), it's that they don't enjoy reading any more. If you ask someone what their favourite book is, chances are they'll say "Books? Pah! I don't read books!" or something along those lines.

Do you enjoy reading Books, or do you just read magazines, newspapers and threads here at EoFF? Do you read often, or do you read as little as humanly possible?

Captain Maxx Power
12-11-2004, 02:38 PM
I used to read books an awful lot at college as opposed to revising. While everyone was smoking or drinking or taking drugs, I was emersed in the wonders of Randland. Yes I am a geek, and damn proud. New Spring's a coming for chrimbo. Looking forward to it.

Cz
12-11-2004, 02:56 PM
Heh, I just asked this same question to another member in a PM. They'll think I'm a thief now. :)

Anyway, a good book is as entertaining as any other medium, and can sometimes be even more involving than a TV show or film, since it has a direct connection with your imagination. The trouble is finding a good book in the first place, since the majority of things I read nowadays are rather disappointing. That's why most of the titles on my bookshelf are worn out through repeated reads. Still, Christmas is normally a good time for new reading material, so there should be a lot to read over the coming weeks.

Rainecloud
12-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Heh, I just asked this same question to another member in a PM. They'll think I'm a thief now. :)

What makes you think I didn't steal the idea from your PM?

Cz
12-11-2004, 03:09 PM
I'd suspected, but then I reasoned that you aren't a thieving jerk. :D

Anyway Raine, if you're such a high and mighty intellectual, what are you reading right now? :)

Rainecloud
12-11-2004, 03:11 PM
Anyway Raine, if you're such a high and mighty intellectual, what are you reading right now? :)

Castles of England, Scotland and Wales - Paul Johnson (Weidenfeld Nicolson Illustrated).

On a side-note, I didn't actually say anything about being intellectual, but thanks for the compliment. ;)

Faris
12-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Chances are, if you're a regular poster here at EoFF, you enjoy reading. Well, at least to a certain extent. But, if there's one thing I've noticed about kids these days (goodness, I sound like a pensioner), it's that they don't enjoy reading any more. If you ask someone what their favourite book is, chances are they'll say "Books? Pah! I don't read books!" or something along those lines.

Do you enjoy reading Books, or do you just read magazines, newspapers and threads here at EoFF? Do you read often, or do you read as little as humanly possible?
i love leading books :love:. i'm currently working on a 450 paged book(in my own spare time), and Yazoo'squeen's oblivion befor death (i think that's what it's called)

kikimm
12-11-2004, 03:36 PM
I love reading, and have been doing it since I could read. I'd take books over movies or tv anyday.There's something about a really good book that's different than you an excellent movie. It is more involving---they're much logner than movies, so there's more to absorb.

But out of all my friends, only one or two really read. The others just call me lame. BAH!

:D

Ultima Shadow
12-11-2004, 04:30 PM
Well... I read pretty much... but only fantasy and science-fiction stuff. :cool:

Del Murder
12-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I read lots of books. I think with the whole Harry Potter craze, more kids are reading again, which is a good thing.

Breine
12-11-2004, 06:11 PM
I love to read all kind of texts. Books, short stories, poems etc etc. All kinds of literature is a good read to me.

It's right, the thing about kids not reading anymore. Time has changed. These days kids and youngsters have found entertainment in Computer Games, Movies and other modern stuff. If kids read today then it's probably only homework, magazines or comic books. It's kinda sad. On the other hand, I really think that Harry Potter has had a big influence on kids reading today. Many children have started reading just because of a magical boy with glasses... That's pretty nice actually o_O

Kirobaito
12-11-2004, 06:15 PM
I used to read books a lot. But now my reading materials are down to school, EoFF, the paper, and Sports Illustrated. Well, and my Bible.

Yamaneko
12-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Along with the textbooks I have to read for school, I'm always reading something for pleasure. Reading is probably the best thing anyone can do to improve themselves.

Jojee
12-11-2004, 07:55 PM
I used to read so much ^^But when I got to college... I'm too lazy to get my arse down to the library and I have no books.

Plus the internet contributes to my lack of reading time... unless it's fanfiction or something. :tongue:

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-11-2004, 08:38 PM
I read mostly fantasy, but I read Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley, Sopie's World (forgot the author), and Otherland by Tad Williams, and I read LOTR and Harry Potter.

Strider
12-11-2004, 08:43 PM
I'm actually in the middle of reading The Bourne Supermacy right now. Good book, for the record.

Rainecloud
12-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Reading is probably the best thing anyone can do to improve themselves.

Most definitely.

I'm glad to see that we have so many avid readers here at the forums.

DMKA
12-11-2004, 10:50 PM
No. Reading is just as bad if not worse than television.

Shattered Chest
12-11-2004, 10:59 PM
I read.

I'm studying literature at uni, and they force me to read.

I just finished Jean Rhys' Wide Sargasso Sea, the sequel to Jane Eyre, kind of, and it impressed me.

I also enjoy Diana Gabaldon's Jamie and Claire books.

Yamaneko
12-11-2004, 11:06 PM
According to a survey performed by a group of Generation Y'ers.

Dking'squeen
12-12-2004, 12:01 AM
I enjoy reading books that interest me, which are mostly fantasy, science fiction, anything with something abnormal going on. I'll read anything. The longest book i've ever read was over 1000 pages and it was SO interesting. I finished it in about a week

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 01:38 AM
Are you on drugs or something?

Reading is just about the best thing you can do with your free time. Yes, I read a lot.

Ryth
12-12-2004, 02:02 AM
I'm one of the few "young peoples" nowadays you read I've read all the Harry Potter books, The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician"s Nephew, The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe, Horse & His Boy, and I just finished Prince Caspian, and I'm now reading Merceds Lackey's Joust, also I read the Manga novels like Rave Master, Dragon Knights, Seargent Frog, and Naruto (I read others of course). I also plan on reading Dracula when I'm a little older and I'm going to start the Fellowship. So yes I love to read and oh I plan on reading the Godfather book(s) one day as well. I als olike reading the stuff here on Eoff and in magazines and I read this great book in English class called "Belle Prater's Boy" I really enjoyed the book the ending is sadly a little disappointing :( but everything else was great!

fire_of_avalon
12-12-2004, 02:15 AM
I don't read a lot at the moment, cause of work and finals. The last thing I really got into was a book of short stories by Sherman Alexie. Sherman Alexie am win.

DMKA
12-12-2004, 02:27 AM
Reading is just about the best thing you can do with your free time.
No, doing something constructive is the best thing to do with your free time. Reading just takes atleast a tad of insight/imagination and thought, and literacy, unlike television.

Other than that it's about the same. I don't buy that reading is this "great thing" but tv is horrible.

YunaGirl05
12-12-2004, 02:31 AM
I read quite a bit. My faverite kind to read is fantasy books. they are so awesome. but if i don't find a book insteresting i can't read it. it drives me crazy to read a book i don't like.

Dr Unne
12-12-2004, 02:33 AM
I read. Books. Programming Perl is a good read. I'm going to start reading Sword of Truth again so I'm ready when the next book comes out early next year.

eestlinc
12-12-2004, 02:36 AM
reading triggers your imagination and stimulates your verbal abilities, whereas tv gives you canned images and does not encourage imagination or verbal ability. Still, exercising is probably better for you than reading. Both together are necessary to be complete.

Right now I'm reading <i>Gravity's Rainbow</i> by Thomas Pynchon, which is really damn good. And long.

Yamaneko
12-12-2004, 02:56 AM
And long.

I'm reading <i>Fathers and Sons</i> by Ivan Turgenev.

eestlinc
12-12-2004, 02:58 AM
long is an understatement.

nik0tine
12-12-2004, 03:11 AM
I don't really like reading but it's not bad. Im currently reading the Bhagivad-Gita. 3 cheers for anybody educated enough to know what that is. (in other words see The Captain or Big D )

The Man
12-12-2004, 03:16 AM
I'm currently reading, all at the same time, Bush's Brain by James Moore and Wayne Slater, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling, and Dragon Wing by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. I'm rereading the latter two; there's a bunch of plot details I'm fuzzy about now that I want to remember, and the Potter movie's coming out sometime next year anyway, so I hear, so I might as well have the story fresh in my mind.

Anyone who doesn't think reading is mind-expanding either isn't reading the right books, or isn't reading them the right way.

meowwl
12-12-2004, 03:20 AM
I have been reading since I was two years old. When I was younger I would devour any type of reading material..to the point of reading cereal boxes if deprived(yes, obsessed as if you haven't figured that out :p )! As I've gotten older my tastes mostly run to sci-fi and fantasy, and National Geographics(I have 3 of the holographic covers ;) ). I'm at the moment reading Phoenix and Ashes by Mercedes Lackey, and I just got done with "To Light a Candle; book 2 of the Obsidian trilogy by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. A few of my favorite authors are Mercedes Lackey, Anne Mccaffrey, Andre Norton(She's a scifi goddess!), Robert Jordan, Larry Niven, David Brin, Piers Anthony(insert pun here), Holly Lisle..I could go on but this post will eat the world if I list them all...and yes, if you sit still to read or watch Tv it is bad for you. If you just do some isometrics and stretches, its a lot less unhealthy.

Meat Puppet
12-12-2004, 03:36 AM
I read them just for the articles. ;)

eestlinc
12-12-2004, 03:53 AM
I don't really like reading but it's not bad. Im currently reading the Bhagivad-Gita. 3 cheers for anybody educated enough to know what that is. (in other words see The Captain or Big D )

yes

Raistlin
12-12-2004, 05:10 AM
No, doing something constructive is the best thing to do with your free time. Reading just takes atleast a tad of insight/imagination and thought, and literacy, unlike television.
What you say quite literally scares me. Reading is one of the most constructive things you can do. It helps develop you intellectually and verbally. All of the people I've ever known who are good thinkers are also very avid readers. The vast majority of the more intelligent people that I know are also readers. Connection?

Silmaril
12-12-2004, 05:23 AM
I love to read. and I mean LOVE!

MoonsEcho
12-12-2004, 05:27 AM
Books are wonderful. I love reading, and I always have. Right now I'm starting Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind. Good stuff, the Sword of Truth series. I also adore Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, especially the Death Gate Cycle.

I remember reading a book called Tathea once, that was insanely compelling, but I can't remember who the author was. Does anyone else know of this book? .-.

Edit:
What you say quite literally scares me. Reading is one of the most constructive things you can do. It helps develop you intellectually and verbally. All of the people I've ever known who are good thinkers are also very avid readers. The vast majority of the more intelligent people that I know are also readers. Connection?

Completely true. :love:

Auronhart
12-12-2004, 05:32 AM
I generally just read fantasy books.

Good stuff, the Sword of Truth series

Kirkpatrick
12-12-2004, 06:13 AM
I enjoy reading a great deal, but unfortunately I haven't been able to find much time recently. The last book I read was Brave New World, and that was a few week ago :(. Maybe I'll get a chance to pick something up over the Christmas break.

Rainecloud
12-12-2004, 09:29 AM

Absolutely. Without books, important information would have been lost over time. Where would we be without our dictionaries? What would we do if we had no user-manuals for our computers, cars and electrical appliances? How could we have taken in so much knowledge at school without the aid of textbooks? How could we have improved our verbal skills without help from the books at our libraries?

If nobody read books, we'd all be about as intelligent as dogs. :p

MistaCloudStrife
12-12-2004, 09:31 AM
I only read books that really catch my interest... And magazines are good... and Manga... Reading the subtitles on my anime is really good enough foe me... and RPGs require reading so i dont need books... unless its a must read book...

Oh and books i have to read for Lit classes... and other books from school... =P

SquallKicksAss
12-12-2004, 09:31 AM
I love reading! I've read since an early age, and I haven't stopped since. I have a few friends who enjoy reading, but most don't even think about it. I especially love Fantasy books (LOTR, Wheel of Time, Song of Ice and Fire, etc.).

Shlup
12-12-2004, 12:16 PM
I like reading. I'm fairly picky about what I read though. It has to really stir my interests.

They say that while you do nothing you burn about 60 calories an hour, but while reading you burn 150, so its decent exercise. ^_^

SquallKicksAss
12-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Wow! Reading is exercise too? I was happy to read just for the entertainment and extended vocabulary, but now I find out it's good for you as well? Even better...

Rusty
12-12-2004, 12:48 PM
I really love to read :) At the moment I am reading 'The other side of Dawn' by John Marsden.

The Man
12-12-2004, 08:30 PM
What you say quite literally scares me. Reading is one of the most constructive things you can do. It helps develop you intellectually and verbally. All of the people I've ever known who are good thinkers are also very avid readers. The vast majority of the more intelligent people that I know are also readers. Connection?LMAO, if it weren't for the anti-flaming rules here I'd have placed a much more strongly worded response to that post than you did, but I'm a bit too blunt for this board these days, I think. ;) I approve of your post.

meowwl
12-14-2004, 01:56 PM
:thumb: :beer: Yay for the art of diplomacy!..Now if the rest of the world would speak so politely.... :p

Lindy
12-14-2004, 02:26 PM
I play RO and go to uni, I don't have time to do ANYTHING, let alone read a book that isn't related to my course.

But damn me if I don't want to read The Thirteen and a Half Lives of Captain Blueheart by Walter Moers, shame I can't find it, anywhere.

Citizen Bleys
12-14-2004, 02:42 PM
Reading helps keep me sane. As sane as I get, anyways.

My favorites are anything by Stephen R. Donaldson, or Dennis L. McKiernan's Mithgar series, especially The Eye of the Hunter and Silver Wolf, Black Falcon. The latter two contain Cursed Ones, a concept that I truly find fascinating for the thought he's put into it. Most people who write shapeshifters make it too easy, but not McKiernan:

...but the Bear was not a Man in the shape of a Bear, but a Bear wild and untameable, a Bear who sometimes had thoughts similar to those of a Man, perhaps even a Man named Urus. The danger always existed that the Man might never again become the Bear, and that the Bear might never again become a Man. The Man, Urus, was aware of this danger. The Bear, however, was not.

(Paraphrased, of course; I've very recently finished re-reading Eye and Silver Wolf, so I don't exactly have my books on me at the moment)

Ki Ki
12-14-2004, 03:42 PM
+Do I read books?
No. I haven't finished reading one whole book in 3 years. :}

+Do I enjoy reading?
Yes. I do. But it depends on what I'm reading. If I'm not interested in the storyline I just toss the book aside. But I do read alot on the forum and at school for english lesson.

"POW".

Crazy the Clown
12-14-2004, 03:43 PM
Sometimes, a good book and a good cigar are all I need.