PDA

View Full Version : Say my name!!!!!!!!!!

redxiiii
12-11-2004, 09:46 PM
:D HI people i just made a discovery i `ve compleated this game twice now and it might be just me but can you recall any1 sayin tidus` name through out the whole of the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :D

Necronopticous
12-11-2004, 09:47 PM
no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because you get the option to name him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! his name is not in the script!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so he's constantly referred to as things such as::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: """""""""""""""""""""""You know who""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""'

TheSpoonyBard
12-11-2004, 10:04 PM
How do you expect the people to record the voices for every single name in the world? It'd be impossible, or they would have to retract the option to rename him. His name is mentioned, however, but not in speech. I don't recall where exactly, but I definitely know his name came up in a speech box.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-11-2004, 10:41 PM
That's probably why they never say his name in FF X-2, right?? But they say it in KH, what the heck???

Dking'squeen
12-11-2004, 10:45 PM
They didn;t say his name. That might have been because you could rename him and how wierd would that look if you renamed him and since the game didn't knowhow to say the name you out in, there'd be a long pause. "Oh, lets go get Yuna *long screeching noise* from Seymour"

TheAbominatrix
12-11-2004, 11:01 PM
That's probably why they never say his name in FF X-2, right?? But they say it in KH, what the heck???

Because you dont rename him in KH. X-2 is the continuation of the story you followed in X. KH is completly unrelated, just random FF characters thrown in to random places.

VincentcerebruS
12-12-2004, 01:14 AM
no he's refered as "the new guardian" or just good old "he" but in the macalania part after the spring part when yuna addresses everybody she refers tidus as "everyone" after saying everybody's name, or in the sphere he is "the new guardian"

Auronhart
12-12-2004, 05:18 AM
or "the star player of the Zanarkand Abes", how is that for a short name. :)

Old Manus
12-12-2004, 11:03 AM
The only time his name is mentioned is at the start in Zanarkand, though it is not a speaking part. Talk to various people on the bridge and they will say stuff such as "You're the best, Tidus!" or if you guarantee the girl running around tickets, she will say "They'll let me in if i say Tidus and I are buds, right?"

Nobody would say his name in Spira because they don't know his name. He is famous in Zanarkand, so everyone knows him.

Red Skull
12-12-2004, 11:53 AM
In Kingdom Hearts they pronounce it 'Teedus' but I think the real Japanese pronunciation is 'Tee-dah' or something like that.

UltimateSpamGrover
12-12-2004, 08:39 PM
before KH, I tohught his name wad "Tide-us" as in Tidal Wave...

one of the 15600 reasons I hate KH

ShivaBlizzard8
12-12-2004, 09:15 PM
In interviews with the American voice actors who played Tidus and Yuna, they refer to the character as "Tee-dus," which makes me grateful that no one did say his name. It's laughable, since in English, the correct pronounciation of the name Tidus is "Tie-dus," such as in Shakespeare's Tidus Andronicus.

Although I did hear someone say some time ago that his name is spoken briefly in FFX, during the Luca blitzball game by one of the Besaid players. I've never witnessed it myself, however.

TheAbominatrix
12-12-2004, 09:31 PM
They'll say his name in text, because that doesnt require voice acting. But during VA scenes, they'll use something else.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-13-2004, 01:36 AM
one of the 15600 reasons I hate KH

You do! *cries* j/k Yeah, BTW in FF X-2 is Yuna doing a sphere for Tidus or what?

Ryth
12-19-2004, 02:18 AM
I found that out right away Yuna fell in love with a guy she doesn't even know the name of.....

TheAbominatrix
12-19-2004, 06:33 AM
I found that out right away Yuna fell in love with a guy she doesn't even know the name of.....

They'll say his name in text, because that doesnt require voice acting. But during VA scenes, they'll use something else.

feioncastor
12-19-2004, 06:48 AM
The only time his name is mentioned is at the start in Zanarkand, though it is not a speaking part. Talk to various people on the bridge and they will say stuff such as "You're the best, Tidus!" or if you guarantee the girl running around tickets, she will say "They'll let me in if i say Tidus and I are buds, right?"

Nobody would say his name in Spira because they don't know his name. He is famous in Zanarkand, so everyone knows him.
I think you're missing the point. The point is that they never speak the name "Tidus" because since you're givent he option to rename him, the voice actors would've had to record pronunciations of every possible combination of letters. What if I named him "Feion" at the start of the game, then Yuna called him "Tidus" later (in a voice, not text, dialogue)? That wouldn't make much sense, so they found ways around actually saying his name by using terms like "Star player of the Zanarkand Abes" and "the New guardian" and so forth.

Feion

Barney
12-19-2004, 10:19 PM
wouldnt it have been possible to say his name if you choose not to change it and then if it was change not say it, I guess that would have required a lot more extra script though, but could be possible for future FF games

bakabakabaka
12-19-2004, 11:12 PM
i never really change the name of characters...i get too confused when trying to talk about them!!!
wouldnt it be cool if you could record you sying the new name??? or can you do that anyway???

TheAbominatrix
12-19-2004, 11:16 PM
i never really change the name of characters...i get too confused when trying to talk about them!!!
wouldnt it be cool if you could record you sying the new name??? or can you do that anyway???

You cant, and I dont think it'd be cool. It's sound very out of place if, everytime the other charatcers said the name, it switched to a different voice. Especially when the speaker is a different sex than the player.

bakabakabaka
12-19-2004, 11:32 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:
i think i would be cool. it'd put your own personal touch to it.

TheAbominatrix
12-19-2004, 11:41 PM
:cry: :cry: :cry:
i think i would be cool. it'd put your own personal touch to it.

I never said you werent entitled to your opinion, did I?

kikimm
12-20-2004, 12:24 AM
Bah. That was one of the things that really bothered me. It's different with text, since it doesn't matter what you name you're character, but with voice acting....it was just annoying. Although I'll admit, it was sort of entertaining to see how many ways they could avoid saying his name. I'm glad that in 12, they actually say "Vaan".

You know....typing all that up made me realize that this isn't really a big deal. :) Feh.

:D

XxSephirothxX
12-20-2004, 02:57 AM
This is the reason I think we should do away with the naming of characters altogether. They come up with the names for a reason--why not leave them that way? In FFIX, one of my friends played through the game after changing Vivi's name to "Slick." :cry:

ShivaBlizzard8
12-20-2004, 04:27 AM
I agree - I think renaming the characters, especially after yourself, is egocentric, and just. . . dumb. They should have forced everyone to call him Tidus. And not pronouce it Teedus. lol :p

Sephex
12-20-2004, 04:49 AM
I saw his coming as soon as I learned that you would be able to name Tidus. It didn't bother me though. It's as funny to me as watching the "silent protagonist" in other RPGs. I like to see how writers get around stuff like that.

Old Manus
12-20-2004, 10:08 AM
I think you're missing the point. The point is that they never speak the name "Tidus" because since you're givent he option to rename him, the voice actors would've had to record pronunciations of every possible combination of letters. What if I named him "Feion" at the start of the game, then Yuna called him "Tidus" later (in a voice, not text, dialogue)? That wouldn't make much sense, so they found ways around actually saying his name by using terms like "Star player of the Zanarkand Abes" and "the New guardian" and so forth.

I think you're missing my point. My point was that you only hear Tidus' name being said by NPCs in Zanarkand because he was famous. Then you never hear it being said by random NPCs in Spira because they don't know his name. I was just bringing up another explanation.