PDA

View Full Version : Dreams And Aspirations

The Captain
12-12-2004, 08:18 AM
What are your dreams and aspirations in life? Are they broad and sweeping, or are they very specific and planned out already?

Take care all.

Rainecloud
12-12-2004, 09:21 AM
What are your dreams and aspirations in life? Are they broad and sweeping, or are they very specific and planned out already?

Half 'n' half, really. ;)

I someday hope to be married, and I'd like to have children. I'm not quite sure why, so I can only presume it's instinctual. I've thought long and hard about the pros and cons, but I still haven't come to a conclusion on whether or not it's a good idea. Part of me doesn't want to have children, and that's the part of me that went through so many horrible things at school - physical and verbal abuse (bullying, basically). That part of me doesn't want to see my offspring have to go through those things. That part of me also doesn't want to see my child/children suffer any sort of hardship that this world springs upon them. Having said that, the other part of me wants to have children, regardless of what bad might come of it. After all, the happiness, love and friendship shared by a family is worth all the heartache...isn't it?

Those are the only main aspirations I have in my life at the moment. Aside from those, I just want to be a better person. Instead of putting on an act for my friends in order to try to gain acceptance, I want to be myself for a change. I can't see it working, as I don't think I'm a very nice person when it comes to social situations, but I'll try my best and see what happens.

In a nutshell, I want to be a better person. Well, don't we all?

nik0tine
12-12-2004, 10:40 AM
My dreams eh? I want to love, and I want to become a great writer and a great musician from both an instrumental standpoint and from a compositional standpoint. I want to be happy, and stay happy, and I want to be remembered by many. I also want to win the Nobel Prize for peace, and my stretch goal would be to win more than one Nobel Prize, praticularily for literature, but the other prizes will suffice.

This is one of the few times that I will not say that this "probably won't happen" Yes, the odds are slim for me to do all of this, but nobody has ever accomplished anything through doubt.

Shlup
12-12-2004, 12:12 PM
I want to be barefoot and pregnant.

Xander
12-12-2004, 12:53 PM
I don't really have any big or important dreams or aspirations. I just want to be happy, successful in what I do. I want to make a relationship last, get married and eventually have a family of my own. And I want to help people and make myself a better person. That's it really.

SquallKicksAss
12-12-2004, 01:09 PM
I want to have a wife and kids (preferably two) before I turn 30. I want to have kids young so I don't have a huge generation gap. I also want to visit Ireland. And I hope to one day find a good job which I'm happy doing and gets me lots of the dough ($$$)!

Chris
12-12-2004, 03:27 PM
I don't have any dreams and this is why:

"Nothing comes during a sleep above a dream,
You better wake up and face reality,
You never get ahead just laying around in bed,
What you can see you really can achieve.

Dream means a sleepless fulfillment though I wonder why,
You wake up out of the darkness and let life begin,
Oh dream means a sleepless fulfillment oh I wonder when,
Wake up out of the darkness and let life begin.

Some people are living only on hopes and dreams,
But you've got to wake up to the plans and scenes,
The journey of life is only one step ahead,
But you never get there tossing and turning in bed,
You're facing the world with no plans for tomorrow,
And now you're wondering what's waiting around the bend.

Dream means a sleepless fulfillment unless you try,
Sleepers, they hold on t dreams while the world passes by,
Dream means a sleepless fulfillment (though) unless you try,
Sleepers, they hold on to dreams while the world passes by"

YunaGirl05
12-12-2004, 03:32 PM
myself and my friends have decided we are gonna save our money and buy an island by Asia and make it into Spira! Anyone want to join us? Oh yeah and i have to go on some big adventure and meet my true love. but i could do that on the island if i haven't found that person before i get the island. I'm hungary i'm gonna eat a cookie.

Denmark
12-12-2004, 03:35 PM
broad and sweeping. ^_^

go to college. maybe go to grad school afterwards. get a job, hopefully something to do with computer engineering. get a residence of my own (at first this will probably be an apartment, then I'll move out to the 'burbs). make lotsa money. get married and have a kid at some point. retire. eat pie.

SomethingBig
12-12-2004, 03:44 PM
I once dreamed of being a psychologist. I loved studying how people thought and what they did and why they did those things. I heard about how it takes 9+ years of college and a whole mess of tests to be a successful psychologist, but I pushed myself forward. I struggled through high school just to get into a good college to get a good psychological education. I was completely determined to becoming something that I'd enjoy.

All of that, however, changed with my father. "Do you know how long it takes to become a psychologist?" he asked. "I know, father, I know! But I'm ready to take the trials and tribulations!" I replied. "You don't know what you're getting into! You're only 16! You need a job as soon as you graduate from college!" he said. My mother defended me, bless her, but to no avail. And with that conversation, the plummet of my dream of 4 years started. I soon started to think, "What if my father is right? What if I end up not being able to go through all those years of college?" What makes it worse is that this year, I'm taking Human Behaviors 1(Intro to Psych) and I'm loving it. Despite how hard it is, I am filled with glee every time I step foot into that class. Most of the time, I seem to be the only person that's able to stay awake. But alas, I must drop this dream of mine.

Now I'm working towards Computer Programming. I still dream of having a wife,t hough.

Erdrick Holmes
12-12-2004, 04:39 PM
My dream is to get the hell out of America and move to Canada to make it on my own and away from a country that's al about war. Then I'll work, make my own money, and write sci-fi novels. After saving up enough money I'll retire and change my last name.

fire_of_avalon
12-12-2004, 04:43 PM
I've always told myself all I wanted out of life was happiness, but through the past several months I've realized I'm a very adaptable person. Maybe it's how I grew up or maybe it's something I trained myself to be, but even with being out of school now, taking on part of the strain of my families debt and dealing with the movement of several people out of my life for a considerable time, I'm still very happy and very grateful, most of the time. So I think maybe my biggest aspiration is to give this idea to people, that at their worst, things aren't all that bad. I think what I'd most like to do with my life is inspire hope in people.

Man, I'm all mushy today. xD

Rainecloud
12-12-2004, 04:51 PM
myself and my friends have decided we are gonna save our money and buy an island by Asia and make it into Spira!

That's the most sensible idea I've read so far. :p

Faris
12-12-2004, 05:00 PM
I don't really have any big or important dreams or aspirations. I just want to be happy, successful in what I do. I want to make a relationship last, get married and eventually have a family of my own. And I want to help people and make myself a better person. That's it really.
:cookie:

SomethingBig
12-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Y'know what I really want? A Japanese wife. With noodles for eyes.

Logan
12-12-2004, 05:40 PM
I want to graduate from college while having an okay job. Being happy with a boy would be nice, too. Then when I'm old I want to die.

Crazy the Clown
12-12-2004, 05:57 PM
I wanna join the wrestling organization, JCW. That way, I could hang with some of the dopest musicians, alive. The ICP, Twiztid, Esham, Blaze, ABK, and others. That, and fighting like a psychotic nutjob is what I do best. :joker:

Jojee
12-12-2004, 06:26 PM
I remember this thread... XD *says the same thing*

I would like to graduate from college and find a good job, get married with the man of my dreams and just settle down somewhere and be happy <3

Yamaneko
12-12-2004, 06:34 PM
I want to become stinking rich and forget all my friends and family, make unwise business decisions with the help of a crooked stock broker, loose all my money on Christmas Eve, learn the true meaning of life before Christmas Day, regain touch with friends and family, and live modestly, but happy until the end of my days. All this will hopefully happen in the next ten to fifteen years.

Necronopticous
12-12-2004, 07:40 PM
<B>What I would like to happen:</B> Graduate from Cal Poly Pomona majoring in Computer Science focused on Programming minoring in Japanese, get a good programming job to fund a side project where I program an independent video game engine and form a team of inspired guys/gals like myself to produce a game demo on my free time over a couple of years while saving excess money for my trip to Japan after it's completed where I land an awesome job in a Japanese video game company, get a beautiful Japanese wife, raise genius Japanese children, eat an ungodly amount of traditional Japanese Shabu Shabu and live forever with the social integration of nanobot injections.

<B>What will happen:</B> Graduate from Cal Poly Pomona majoring in Computer Science with a focus on Programming, get a job teaching programming at a community college, play video games on my spare time, die single at a young age due to cholesterol intake and lack of exercise.

theundeadhero
12-12-2004, 10:50 PM
I wanna get married, have some kids, and live a good life.

Chris
12-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I want to become stinking rich and forget all my friends and family, make unwise business decisions with the help of a crooked stock broker, loose all my money on Christmas Eve, learn the true meaning of life before Christmas Day, regain touch with friends and family, and live modestly, but happy until the end of my days. All this will hopefully happen in the next ten to fifteen years.

Sounds familiar :shifty:

Psychotic
12-12-2004, 10:59 PM
I want to be barefoot and pregnant.Again? Just like my Daddy!

(Please tell me you were referring to K-Rose :elk: )

But me? I think this quote from Scarface sums it up.

Tony Montana: Me, I want what's coming to me.
Manny: Oh, well what's coming to you?
Tony Montana: The world, Chico, and everything in it.

The Captain
12-13-2004, 07:50 AM
Very fascinating to hear what everyone hopes and dreams for their futures are. What struck me most was that more or less, everyone kept it simple: a nice comfortable life, a good solid marriage and a family to love them. In a way, perhaps that really is the best possible dream to have, one that will always give you strength and will be a foundation for everything to spring up from.

Take care all.

nik0tine
12-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Very fascinating to hear what everyone hopes and dreams for their futures are. What struck me most was that more or less, everyone kept it simple: a nice comfortable life, a good solid marriage and a family to love them. In a way, perhaps that really is the best possible dream to have, one that will always give you strength and will be a foundation for everything to spring up from.

Take care all.

That sort of surprised me as well. I was expecting more people to have aspirations similar to mine. It's funny though, I was one of the few who didnt feel that settling down was much of a priority at all.

The Captain
12-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Agreed Nik0tine, one must also be willing to dream big, and to hope for the brightest possible future they can. In my opinion, our world would not survive without the dreamers, those who seek to be more and do more, those who want to suck the very marrow out of life and live an extraordinary life. I think, combining grand dreams with realistic intentions and hopes as well as determination and a great deal of will and effort one can often find profound and very fruitful success down the line.

Take care all.

escobert
12-13-2004, 08:33 AM
I hope to graduate form PSU (Plymouth State University) in a few years and work in a crappy job in the states and save some money. Then I hope to move to England and work in a musuem somewhere. I'd liek to have a wife and kids alsp. I don't care if I'm rich or not.

nik0tine
12-13-2004, 08:33 AM
As usual, we see eye to eye. I admire people with big dreams. However, sometimes I get sort of sad when I think about how I might not end up accomplishing any of this at all. However, if I try, than I give myself a chance, and a chance is the most important thing we can hope for.

And now, here is the question that everybody really wants to know: What are you're hopes and dreams, Captain?

EDIT: Also I would like to say that any person who has failed at happiness has also failed at life.

Miriel
12-13-2004, 08:56 AM
My long term goals are pretty vague, I just want to be fairly happy, have a job that I enjoy, and surround myself with people I love and who love me back.

I guess my current goal right now is to graduate from USC, and put that "Trojan network" to good use. My main goal for the last 18 years of my life has been to get into the college of my dreams, and having achieved that, I'm sorta in a "what now?" phase. :confused:

The Captain
12-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Well, let's see, I like everyone else, hope to someday have a chance to find a good job, for me, being a director/actor, be it someplace low key or more intense. I would very much enjoy to be able to devote my life to creating art, recreating life and exploring the imagination to see how far we really can push ourselves, how deep we are willing to search within our souls and perhaps find some deeper truth, all of which I think art can accomplish.

I hope to marry my girlfriend of nearly two years sometime down the line and start a family and travel the world together, seeing all there is to see, marveling at the wonders each culture has to offer. If I do have children, I'd hope to share this world with them and watch them develop their own hopes and dreams and do my very best to give them ample opportunity to let them imagine and find their way.

I dream of a world that is free of the constrains of pain and hatred without cause. I long to be able to walk down any street in the world and be able to smile at someone, exchange that brief moment in time with them and know that they too are happy with themselves, where they are and where they will be.

Perhaps, to see a world where hunger is no longer an problem, or where religion is the cause of great unity and not harsh division and animosity. To wake up in the morning to a brilliant blue sky and fill my lungs with air and not have to worry about the hazards of air pollution or the potential for the icebergs to melt, but rather to know that this sacred planet is safe and will continue to create life.

More or less, I dream that the dreams of everyone do indeed come true and that happiness is not exclusive to some, but becomes a universal truth for all. I think that this is within our power and grasp and with every smile, embrace, act of kindness, of dignity, of grace, and of peace, we move closer to this moment.

Take care all.

Silmaril
12-13-2004, 08:52 PM
I'd like to become a famour writer and a manga artist. I'd like to have a loving husband and great kids and lead happy life...

guardbreak
12-14-2004, 02:21 AM
A society based on 3 fundamental principles:
FREEDOM
RESPECT
JUSTICE

Crazy the Clown
12-14-2004, 02:33 AM
A society based on 3 fundamental principles:
FREEDOM
RESPECT
JUSTICE

2 out of 3 ain't bad. But respect is also needed.

Cless
12-14-2004, 02:45 AM
As they say in some song "If you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?" :)

But seriously, all you dreamers keep working at it! Don't give up on your dreams, no matter what people say. If you believe in yourself, you will succeed.

Kirobaito
12-14-2004, 05:07 AM
I want to somehow end up as a sports broadcaster (color or play-by-play), or perhaps coach football. Right now I'm not really sure. Either way, I'd like to get married, stay here in North Texas and have kids. I don't want an elaborate, rich lifestyle. I wouldn't mind being rich, but I wouldn't want to spend it extravagantly. I try to be as traditional as possible.

The Captain
12-15-2004, 07:05 AM
Well, with so many dreams and hopes now defined more concretely, I now pose a new question:

Do you think, honestly, truthfully that you can achieve these dreams, or do you think you'll have to settle for something less? Why or why not?

Take care all.

theundeadhero
12-15-2004, 11:53 AM
My aspirations being what they are I think I can meet mine. I have this girl back home, Cher, and we've been special friends for 5 years now. We never dated but hung out a lot. The little time I get to go home on leave I always see her and it's becoming more and more likely we'll be together when I finally get to go home one last time in 2 years. If I wasn't away I think it would happen now. As for kids, I don't think much will stop me there. The rest is just life. Find a good job and live away...

Baloki
12-15-2004, 12:39 PM
:greenie: You may never know

nik0tine
12-16-2004, 06:20 AM
No, I personally do not think I am going to be able to acheive my goals, unfortunately. However, it's still worth a try!

The Captain
12-16-2004, 06:29 AM
I think, there's nothing more important for oneself, than to try to fulfill their dreams and do what they enjoy most of all. Even if you don't succeed in the end, the mere fact that you gave it your best shot is cause for celebration. Though in my opinion, if you do indeed give it your very best shot and also continue to try even after any initial failures, and don't let these things deter you, you will ultimately make your dreams come true.

Take care all.

nik0tine
12-16-2004, 08:52 AM
The problem is, Cap'n, getting motivated enough to actually get anything done. Especially when you are as young as I am and there are virtually no kids who might want to contribute theirtime helping me out. I have no desire to travel this road alone, that's for sure.

The Captain
12-17-2004, 06:51 AM
Well, the best advice I can give is to stay positive and always moving forward. Don't dwell on any failures or obstacles that come up, but take everything in stride and learn and grow from whatever you come into conact with.

Even if you don't find people your age to help guide you or connect with you, reach out to people older than you, people who have your best intentions at heart and allow yourself the chance to be taught from those with some experience. More than anything else, the key making your dreams come true come from within: have a strong will, a firm belief in yourself and be ready for whatever challenges appear and you'll win out in the end.

Take care all.