PDA

View Full Version : Have any of you tried assigning "classes" to your characters?

robfinalfantasy
12-12-2004, 07:23 PM
For example:
All attack-magic materia to one character thus imitating a black mage
Summon-magic materia to create a summoner
Cover and HP+XX% materia to make a knight
etc.

If so, how did it go? Did you regret it and just make everyone a general character?

DJZen
12-12-2004, 09:51 PM
I tried making Cloud a paladin, Tifa a monk and Red XIII a black mage. It's really not all that good. Basically Red XIII deals all the damage.

Raistlin
12-13-2004, 01:10 AM
I do it every game. Cid's my Summoner, Cloud's my black mage, and Tifa's my healer, with some flip-flopping(i.e, Cid won't have all the summon materia). They all eventually get mastered Magic Plus materia, so magic ability is not a problem.

UltimateSpamGrover
12-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Cloud = "Warrior/Fighter/Knight/Paladin"
Vincent = "White Mage"
Cid = "Dragoon"

Erdrick Holmes
12-13-2004, 01:52 AM
Some of the characters already resemble traits of FF classes. Clouds a Knight, Barret's a Gunner, Tifa's a sexy monk/blackbelt, Aeris is a whitemage, Cait Sith is a Theif, Yuffie is a Ninja, Vincent is a Gunner, Cid is a cross between a machinist and a dragoon. I can't give one to Red XIII tho'.

robfinalfantasy
12-13-2004, 01:56 AM
I tried making Cloud a paladin, Tifa a monk and Red XIII a black mage. It's really not all that good. Basically Red XIII deals all the damage.Then what do Cloud and Tifa do during the battles? :mad2:

DJZen
12-13-2004, 02:56 AM
Cloud heals and Tifa gets tons of status ailments.

Also

Some of the characters already resemble traits of FF classes. Clouds a Knight, Barret's a Gunner

Gunner is a FF class?

Cait Sith is a Theif

He's a WHAT? Since when do theives get slot machines?

Cid is a cross between a machinist and a dragoon

Huh?

Erdrick Holmes
12-13-2004, 03:11 AM
Ever played FF Tactics advance?

UltimateSpamGrover
12-13-2004, 03:48 AM
Gunner is also in FFX-2, but I dont count that (mainly because it is too crappy to be a FF!)

SeeDRankLou
12-13-2004, 04:05 AM
Gunner is also in FFX-2, but I dont count that (mainly because it is too crappy to be a FF!)
:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

The Gunner has been in several FFs.

The only one I've ever done is made Aeris a White Mage because her Limit Breaks heal and she usually does crappy damage.

SquallKicksAss
12-13-2004, 06:39 AM
The only gunners I know are in FFTA and FFX-2. They're quite recent.

But to answer the original question, I usually make Aeris a White Mage. Then she dies. So I get angry and go "Screw you! She was my best character other than Cloud!" and start throwing random pieces of furniture at the TV. I also make Red XIII a Black Mage cuz his physical attacks are kinda crap. Barret is always full physical. No magic for him. I usually stick my summoning materia on Cloud (Cuz he's groovy). The others (That I use) have a bit of everything.

Xander
12-13-2004, 02:00 PM
When I restarted FFVII I tried doing this,

Cloud was my fighter (no materia except the pink and yellows (I forget what they're called now, sooo long ago xD) I think they didn't decrease HP anyway, something like that.

Aeris as the Black Mage, with all attack materia equipped.

Red XIII as my White Mage/support - Healing, Stealing and stuff.

Although I never carried on replaying it for long so I can't remember how it worked out. I liked having something of a structure though, I decided to do it after playing FFIX because I liked how all the characters had particular jobs.

robfinalfantasy
12-13-2004, 04:20 PM
I liked having something of a structure though, I decided to do it after playing FFIX because I liked how all the characters had particular jobs.I'd like to do the same thing in FFVIII, but I know it will be a pain. It's kind of hard to get a white mage to have a high magic attack if you have no attack-magic to junction. :mad2:

Raistlin
12-14-2004, 02:35 AM
I liked having something of a structure though, I decided to do it after playing FFIX because I liked how all the characters had particular jobs.
Play FFT.

Del Murder
12-18-2004, 06:35 AM
I have always kept everyone even, with Cloud getting the slightly better spells.

Perducci
03-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Cloud - Knight (Cover, Hp + etc.)
Vincent - Red Mage (Some Healing and Some Offensive Materia)
Aerith/Cait Sith - White Mage (Healing Materia)
Cid - Dragoon ('Cause of his spear...)
Barret - Either Monk (With Hp+ and Counte, etc.) Or Black Mage (Offensive Magic), depends on the other characters.
Yuffie - Thief/Ninja (Throw and steal materia)
Red XIII - Summoner (Summon Materia)
Tifa - Monk (Hp+, Counter, etc.)

Those are the classes I try to keep my characters as, though sometimes I add Different magic or summons to other characters.

Masamune·1600
04-01-2005, 12:08 AM
The whole point of the materia system was to allow for complete customization. If you want to assign classes, so to speak, that's fine. It is, however, a restriction on the characters.

SnoopyG
04-01-2005, 04:50 AM
Just wondering, besides having a spear, what materia makes Cid more of a dragoon?

Masamune·1600
04-01-2005, 05:38 AM
Just wondering, besides having a spear, what materia makes Cid more of a dragoon?

Cid's Limit Breaks are similar to Dragoon techniques. Boost Jump and Hyper Jump are obviously expansions on the Jump technique, and his Dragon limit is similar to moves like Lance (FFV), which drained HP and MP. There is no Jump materia, or any other materia that would make Cid more of a dragoon. It's essentially an innate quality.

IPPSK
04-01-2005, 06:29 AM
If I want classes I'll play a game with classes, like Tactics, thank you veyr much. Still has Cloud!

Mercen-X
04-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Cloud: Knight, Tifa: Monk, Aerith: White Mage, Red: Monster Ally, Cait: Hazard (gambler), Barrett: Guardian, Yuffie: Thief, Cid: Dragoon

SadisticStreetSoldie
04-05-2005, 11:14 PM
monk? paladin? what are they?
Cloud: Warrior/master of overdrives (you gotta love his limits)
Barret: Long range gunner
Red 13:Black mage
Cait Sith: Guardian (I always put Cover in his weapon)
Yuffie: Summoner
Tifa: Thief/master of overdrives
Cid: Red mage
Aeris: White mage
Vince: Long ranger fighter/master of overdrives/black mage/summoner

robfinalfantasy
01-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Broadening the topic a bit:

FFII
Frioniel - White Mage
Maria - Knight (no magic)
Guy - Black Mage
4th Character - Whatever he/she comes as

FFVII
I usually make some random character one of the following:
Blue Mage, Knight, Monk, Thief, Ninja, White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner, Mediator/Tamer (Manipulate anyone?)

FFVIII
Same as FFVII:
Knight, Monk, Thief, Red Mage, White Mage, Black Mage, Summoner, Dark Knight-like class