PDA

View Full Version : Limited arrows or unlimited arrows?

robfinalfantasy
12-12-2004, 07:40 PM
I like the idea of limited arrows because it is more realistic. It also makes the game a bit more challenging, as you must raise gil for your arrow stock.

Necronopticous
12-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Limited arrows in Final Fantasy IV was insanely annoying, it wouldn't have been so bad if the arrows auto-equipped a new stack after running out.

Sefie1999AD
12-12-2004, 08:26 PM
Probably unlimited arrows. Limited arrows vastly discourages me to use bows. You'll run out of arrows so quickly, and it costs a lot to restock them all the times.

DJZen
12-12-2004, 10:16 PM
What Seph said. I find myself attacking less with people who use bows just 'cause running out of arrows is such a pain.

Auronhart
12-13-2004, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I never use limited arrows.

Necronopticous
12-13-2004, 12:59 AM
We deserve better than this limited arrow garbage, you and I...

We're good people!
We do what we can.

I'm telling you. We deserve better.

Jojee
12-13-2004, 01:24 AM
Unlimited, cos' I'm lazy ;)

UltimaLimit
12-13-2004, 04:18 AM
I say unlimited, except maybe for the ultimate bows (that need a special arrow sold only in a few places). Late in the game, you've probably got more Gil than you know what to do with anyway.

Flashback007
12-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Unlimited arrows, ofcourse. What various people already said. If you run out of arrows, it's going to be a problem. Maybe it's then a better idea, just to sell kind of arrows, but that they can used unlimited. What I mean by that is that people not only can buy a stronger bow, but also arrows with a certain powers, which ofcourse then can be equiped. That way you don't got a problem, that you think that a Fire-Bow is stronger but then go into a Fire-cave with the Firebow. No, you will have a bow with no extra elemental or status effects but you can choose your own arrows. For the Firecave you then can use Ice-arrows.

Ryth
12-26-2004, 05:59 AM
Unlimted although I agree that limited arrows would make it more realistic but it would just be waaaaay too annoying. So no limited arrows suck.

limited arrows < unlimited arrows

Zante
12-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Unlimited. In a game with monsters and magic, there realy is no need to be more realistic.

Quantum
12-29-2004, 05:18 AM
You have limited arrows for the same reason you have limited magic, as a balance so that you have to save powerful attacks and not use them 100% of the time. In FF4, the arrows that you use in the beginning are can be bought at stores for cheap, so you can use them all you want. Late in the game, you save the really good arrows just for tough floating monsters because they do a lot of damage.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-29-2004, 05:27 AM
I've always liked the concept of equipping the bow on one hand and the arrows on the other hand. It doesn't really matter to me if the arrows are actually limited or not, though.

rubah
12-29-2004, 06:02 AM
A better idea would be to attach a string to an arrow and just retrieve it everytime.

It'd make for some interesting gameplay, having your archer using a turn, or having to dash up close to the enemy for a short while, being more susceptible to attacks.

Unlimited, definitely. possibly earning upgrades, instead of finding them. 'you have shot this arrow 100 times!, the foil wrapper wears off and you find it's made out of silver!'

UltimaLimit
12-29-2004, 09:01 AM
That's an interesting concept, but it'd be even more annoying than limited arrows if every other turn was spent retrieving the darn thing. Maybe take an idea from Final Fantasy Tactics and charge the attack to make it more powerful. (If you just shoot the arrow, no string. If you Charge the arrow, more powerful and then you retrieve it.)

Here's another idea building on yours. If the character's in the back row, the arrow is gone, no questions asked, and the attack cannot be countered. However, if the archer is in the front row, he can try to retrieve the arrow automatically (sort of like Steal, success % based on Dexterity/Speed), but risks a counterattack from the monster.

I think that would keep it fairly realistic without the nuisance arrows present in FF4. I'm playing through that game right now and I always buy arrows only to have them sit unused in my inventory (unless I get a new party member but have run out of melee weapons or something).

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-29-2004, 10:12 AM
If arrows auto-equipped when you run out, then I wouldn't mind it so much. Except that I can never seem to get my archers to do any good damage.

UltimaLimit
12-29-2004, 08:17 PM
If arrows auto-equipped, you would risk having crappy arrows or arrows with the wrong elements loaded, and then would have to waste a turn correcting the situation.

Maybe if, upon running out of arrows, a prompt appeared asking you which type of arrow you want to equip. That might be better.

SomethingBig
12-29-2004, 08:21 PM
I never really used arrows, so... But if I had to choose, I'd choose unlimited. I hated/would hate having to waste gil on arrows instead of more useful things.

Flamethrower
12-30-2004, 12:35 AM
Limited arrows are a huge pain in the ass. In FFIV, I always equipped Rosa with a staff instead of arrows unless it was a boss fight.

Captain Maxx Power
12-30-2004, 01:56 PM
Unlimted arrows, but still have the ability to equip different quivers for tactical purposes.

Lain
12-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Unlimited......arrows so expensive

RedCydranth
01-07-2005, 12:40 AM
I'm in favor of unlimited. But if you want to make it realistic (no one chases after their arrows, seriously) make the number of arrows limited, but to prevent people from not using archers or bows, make it so you have to repair weapons as well. That way everybody has to pay more for their attacks. Or perhaps make the arrows limited, but do a Zelda thing and make it cost x gil to shoot each time (the stronger the arrow, the more it costs per shot).

But, my preference is still unlimited arrow usage.

rubah
01-07-2005, 01:12 AM
You run after arrows if you're doing target practice:P Or at least I did, because I only had one arrow. (and no bow, and my dad took the tip off the arrow. I was seven after all. . .)

and if they miss, then well, then they can go get them. otherwise it could just dissolve in the enemy?

PearlRose
01-08-2005, 05:58 AM
Upon actually playing FFIV and having to deal with said limited arrows - they're a pain.

I either end up buying too many and having them go to waste when a character suddenly leaves the party (I keep forgetting to unequip them first, silly me.) or they sit in my inventory, where I wish I could just throw them at something. :p

UltimateSpamGrover
01-08-2005, 10:16 AM
Unlimited......arrows so expensive

especially in the later FF's *cough*XI*cough*

Rase
01-10-2005, 02:12 AM
Limited, though only in FFIV. Dunno why it's such a "problem", I never needed money for them since only Rosa used them and only then because of Aim.

turnitup5000db
01-10-2005, 02:20 AM
I thought limited arrows were pretty cool. It added an element to the game where you had to pay attention or you lost a small chunk of your firepower. Made the experience more engrossing. But hey, that is just my opinion...

Martyr
01-10-2005, 04:06 AM
Arrows never appealed to me. They weren't as effective as swords and they were weaker than spells.

The arrows should have a more useful and original purpose. Then they'd be a novelty, and then they should definately be limited and expensive.

But under current systems, they may as well be unlimited.