PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy theory

Cless
12-13-2004, 02:06 AM
I'm sure that we are all familiar with the theory that your favorite Final Fantasy is the first one that you played. Although this does apply in a fair number of cases, It is quite an unreliable theory.

In my opinion (from the FF's that I've beat VI, VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2) the games are all of a similar quality and can all be enjoyed equally. However, then how do people enjoy some more and some less? What makes their personal favourite differ from the other FF's.

It could be that they relate to the characters through their own personal experiences. Maybe the setting, artistic direction and sound. Or is it just gameplay which defines peoples favourites.

To answer this I looked at my own favourites FFX and FFVI. And my least favourite FFVIII. And then it hit me!!! I realised that when I was playing FFX and FFVI my life was going brilliantly. I had a girlfriend (whom I loved), I was doing well in school and I was a promising soccer player. Life was great! Then when I contrast that to when I was playing FFVIII it doesnt compare. I was battling depression, drinking heavily and feeling very insecure as I played.

Does anyone see where Im coming from? What I am attempting to say is that IMO the final fantasy's are all of a similar high quality (judging from the diverse range of favourites) and your favourite may be the one you played when you were at your happiest in life.

So what is your opinion on the matter?

This is one of my first posts so go easy on me!!!

Trumpet Thief
12-13-2004, 02:14 AM
chaos: Nah, my mood didn't really effect the way I enjoyed a video game. If I was that depressed, I probably wouldn't even be in the mood to play a video game.

Rubedo: For you, it was probably a coincidence, or maybe, your timing was just right. For me, playing FFX-2 actually started getting me depressed. :D

Garnet236
12-20-2004, 10:56 PM
I played FF games when I'm happy...If I'm in a baaad mood, I wont play FF games at all! But sometimes I play FF when I'm all alone & I have nothing to do....