PDA

View Full Version : Insultingly stupid movie physics

Dr Unne
12-14-2004, 06:50 AM
This goes here rather than the Lounge because it isn't about movies, it's about physics. I found this site extremely funny. I apologize.

http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/

Strider
12-14-2004, 06:59 AM
People like that make Baby Jesus cry.

Seriously, movies are all about opening up your imagination to all of the things they portray. Those people should learn that.

krissy
12-14-2004, 07:02 AM
nothing wrong with the site
its educational

Leeza
12-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Good site. It is very educational and I'll be looking at movies a little differently now. :) *saves*

Jojee
12-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Hmm.... but I like the bad physics movies... ^_^ movies != real life. It's amusing though.

And I did badly in physics class so... meh.

Rainecloud
12-14-2004, 07:12 AM
The section entitled "The Sound of Movies" is especially entertaining.

:)

Cz
12-14-2004, 05:44 PM
That's a very interesting site, and quite amusing too. Thanks, Unne. :)

Dr.K
12-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Haven't been on a site that refreshing in a while, i'll keep that in mind next time i watch terminator!

Sephex
12-14-2004, 06:22 PM
I knew most of that. There is nothing wrong with improper movie physics as long as the movie makes it LOOK realistic.

Lindy
12-14-2004, 06:37 PM
I stopped reading after the word "technonerds".

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-14-2004, 07:01 PM
Even though I skipped all the mathmatical formulae by means of not understanding (or wanting to understand) a lick of it, I found it quite amusing.

Spritz
12-14-2004, 07:43 PM
Movies are about using are imagination but honestly, read 'The Core' reveiw. I think lack of imagination is really the base flaw in that movie.

On a side note; Where my I obtain some Unobtanium? It sound spretty useful! =D

Captain Maxx Power
12-14-2004, 07:51 PM
It's all very interesting stuff to read, but I think most of us have hit the nail on the head by saying "It's just a movie!". I can imagine if you were to recount this information at a party, or worse outside a cinema, or one lower DURING the film, then you'd become very unpopular very quickly.

Dr Unne
12-15-2004, 05:52 AM
I don't care much about movie realism; it is a movie, and there is poetic license. But for example when I see a "hacker" in a movie I can't help but cringe, because of how ridiculous they're portrayed, and because of the fact that it IS almost insulting that they expect me to believe that crap. And when a movie gets it RIGHT, for example in the second Matrix film where someone uses a real honest-to-goodness SSH exploit to hack a computer, it's very nice to see that the movie-writers actually took the time to get it right.

For a physicist I imagine they can't help but cringe at the stupidity of movie physics. If you know everything about cars, and a movie has someone open the hood and there's a cardboard box with "ENGIEN" written on it, and the people in the movie act like it's a working engine, you'd probably be a bit put off about it too.

Really though it's just a funny site. I have no illusions about that site being anything other than a place for geeks to wallow in their own geekery.

Shlup
12-15-2004, 05:54 AM
This site would be far more entertaining if it didn't make me think so much.

Necronopticous
12-15-2004, 06:34 AM
Oh my god this is pure genius, I love Dr. Unne.

TheAbominatrix
12-15-2004, 06:47 AM
There's a difference between 'opening up your imagination' and accepting sheer, overdone, underthought crap. Some stretches are fine, but there's a lot of stuff, little stuff especially, that bothers some people.

The glass section really impressed me on the site, because movies piss me off with glass. They have plate glass windows in cars and people diving through plate glass... and with my family in the glass business, it PISSES ME OFF. It just irks me. Always has. ;)

Though of course I'm not smart enough to get the math crap. :D

-N-
12-15-2004, 06:22 PM
YOUR TORQUE IS R CROSS F
YOUR R IS TOO SMALL

Seriously, every person at my school makes fun of The Core.

gokufusionss1
12-15-2004, 07:18 PM
these guys are not fun, and bitter as well notice the corpious use of the phrase "cool guys" with distain.
They've obviously been beaten up too many times for there braces and bowl haircuts, Get a girlfriend losers.

bennator
12-15-2004, 09:12 PM
It's quite a nice site...if you like it, check out http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/index.html ...it's sort of like that site, except about bad space scenes in movies and the like.

Meat Puppet
12-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Mmmmm... candy windows.

Kossage
12-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Nice site. :)

Raistlin
12-15-2004, 11:23 PM
For a physicist I imagine they can't help but cringe at the stupidity of movie physics. If you know everything about cars, and a movie has someone open the hood and there's a cardboard box with "ENGIEN" written on it, and the people in the movie act like it's a working engine, you'd probably be a bit put off about it too.
That made me laugh. xD

edczxcvbnm
12-16-2004, 03:58 AM
Thank God my action movie will never get made. It would be about a trillion times worse than the core. I am inspired to add more action to the movie. It already has outer space battles and sky diving battles through the atmosphere! Why not throw in guns with unlimited ammo the size of a sky scrapper. Or have the bad guys have baseball bats with broken shards of glass all over it. Not to mention we blow up the moon. Such an awesome movie.

Meat Puppet
12-16-2004, 06:08 AM
I like action movies because they aren't realistic. If I wanted to see a real action movie that obeyed physics, puzzle pieces and other whacky stuff, I'd go outside.

DeBlayde
12-16-2004, 07:23 AM
shoot. I was kinda hoping that they'd have something on that Keanu Reeves movie "Chain Reaction."

I watched that when I was a Junior in Highschool, and noticed after the thing blew up, that all the metal debris was glowing and flashing, seemingly electrostatically charged as from what happens after an EMP. But, as far as I knew, and EMP is created only from Nuclear explosions. Asked my chemistry teacher who used to be a physicist for the NASA Jet Propulsion labs (and quit cuz he got bored. :screwy: ) and he didn't know because he hadn't seen the thing.

but ah well. I'm a Psychologist, not a Physicist, and apparantly operate under a flawed method of research, so I probably couldn't understand the thing anyways. <-- self deprecating sarcasm.

Peegee
12-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Read it eons ago and the only thing it could possibly serve is to have you not imagine impossible things. Too bad it doesn't work as I often imagine myself doing impossible things (like stopping buses with my 1/2000x mass). Anyway, having read that, it is quite true, though...if things were made to be realistic I don't think movies would be all that entertaining...they would be like plays or something.

So Dr Unne is really conspiring to have plays forced down our throats >:oooo

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-16-2004, 09:59 AM
So Dr Unne is really conspiring to have plays forced down our throats >:oooo

Hey, plays are awesome you blasphemer!

Peegee
12-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Plays bore me to tears. They used to be cool when I was like...12 and a 'gentleman'

Cz
12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
The good thing about plays is that they are generally written by intelligent people, not people who think that having a character announce a twenty-four hour deadline builds suspense. :)

Dr Unne
12-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Anyway, having read that, it is quite true, though...if things were made to be realistic I don't think movies would be all that entertaining...they would be like plays or something.

There's an old axiom in fiction writing which says it's okay to ask a reader to believe the impossible but not the improbable. For example, it's okay to say that a maniac has activated an antimatter bomb in the wall safe, but it's not okay to say that someone miraculously guessed the right combination on the first try.

I think that quote is about right. Read the review for the movie <em>A.I. Artificial Intelligence</em>. I like reading fantasy novels. People shoot giant fireballs out of their hands. I don't say "OH NOES TAHTS NOIT POSSIBAL IN FIZIKS" when I read it, because it's a story about a different sort of world. There's a difference between that, and making mistakes out of ignorance. When Arnold Schwarzenegger dives face-first through a window and has nary a scratch to show for it, either the writer of the movie is too stupid to realize that in real life it'd kill you, or else the writer is relying upon the audience to be too stupid to realize it. Suspension of disbelief is a necessary part of enjoying a movie, and when the world doesn't behave logically or consistently, it's distracting at the very least. I'm not SUPPOSED to be thinking "Well, this movie apparently takes place in an alternate dimension where physics doesn't apply; how stupid". I'm supposed to be paying attention to the plot.

Also I hate plays.

Baloki
12-16-2004, 10:23 PM
The good thing about plays is that they are generally written by intelligent people, not people who think that having a character announce a twenty-four hour deadline builds suspense. :)

Your only saying that because you know your going to die in 24 hours!

DMKA
12-16-2004, 11:14 PM
*looks at site*

And I thought I had alot of time on my hands.

Crazy the Clown
12-17-2004, 12:26 AM
What's wrong with bending the reality rules a little? X-Men and Spiderman did it, and were both dope.

Meat Puppet
12-17-2004, 12:28 AM
Yeah, it's hard to explain how nerds get hot chicks just because they can shoot web. Bah.

Cz
12-17-2004, 09:15 PM
What's wrong with bending the reality rules a little? X-Men and Spiderman did it, and were both dope.Spider-Man is a film about a person who receives web-shooting powers after having been bitten by a radioactive arachnid. Anybody who walked in to that theatre expecting a realistic depiction of the laws of physics would have been extremely idiotic.

DeBlayde
12-18-2004, 05:04 AM
last play I saw was written by a nobel prize winner. Very brilliant man.

the thing lacked any semblence of plot whatsoever, just some random collection of lines tossed out there for people to examine. I arrived 10 minutes late, but that didn't help. the first 10 minutes were more of the same.

also, the performance was so GodAwful horrid that I've not been to a stage production since.

movies are better. They are distraction. they are shiny. they are a means for the government to exert control over the masses!? oh god! movies are bad now too.

:D

Crazy the Clown
12-19-2004, 01:00 AM
Spider-Man is a film about a person who receives web-shooting powers after having been bitten by a radioactive arachnid. Anybody who walked in to that theatre expecting a realistic depiction of the laws of physics would have been extremely idiotic.

I dig. I walked in, expecting the whole crew to think outside the reality box.

Peegee
12-19-2004, 05:25 AM
wtf teh halk weighs mor dan a tank no wei how he throw so far!?