PDA

View Full Version : Naming your characters

one.winged.angel.
12-15-2004, 03:26 AM
how do you name you characters, do you name them after your freind people you know or what

Doomgaze
12-15-2004, 03:40 AM
People who rename characters make the baby Jesus cry.

Despotus
12-16-2004, 04:03 PM
I renamed the soldiers that I recruited at the Soldier's Office in FF Tactics, and you can't rename the characters you pick up during game play. The names I gave to my recruits were usually some "mean" sounding, made-up names: Diemetra, Bane, Deathangel, Kalebann, Overkiller, Bloodmaw, Tzilogoth, MaryJane, Dillanger, and The Beast have been a few :joey:

Captain Maxx Power
12-16-2004, 05:16 PM
Maxx = Leading Fellah/Team Leader
Edge = Any ninja type character
Celes = Leading lady/Team Leader
Rosa = Any healing type character
Kane = Anyone really freakin' cool
Nuke = FF1 only, BM name

escobert
12-16-2004, 05:45 PM
random stupid names.

Martyr
12-16-2004, 08:09 PM
If there isn't a name supplied (Or if I disapprove of the name supplied), I'll think of somebody I know with the game character's characteristics and give it that name. Otherwise, I'll think of a name that I find fitting.

For example, in CT, the name "Ayla" for the cave chick just... wasn't... good enough. Considering her style and appeal, her name, and such, I decided that her real name must actually be "Layla!" Not Ayla. Ayla sounds like a baby noise.

Or, also in CT, the name "Robo?" That's a crappier name than his serial number (Whatever it is. Trivia Question!). I named him Jaxon (For some reason, I see Robo as fulfilling the mandatory "black" person/type character. Affirmative action, I guess. Anyway, he was named after Samuel L. Because the only famous black dudes that I can think of are comedians. And Robo was about as comedic as death). Yes! The X gives the name a robotic twist! Nonalcoholic!

I renamed Butz Mark. 3 or 4 letter names with no real significance are always good for lead guys. Mark. Max. Matt. Sam. Dirk. Chuck. etc.

Dark Ekonis
12-16-2004, 08:33 PM
Jester always Jester, just so midievil. Fits the fantasy theme.

louby_4eva
12-18-2004, 09:40 PM
I neva rename ppl, but my GF's in ff8 all have names of my friends.

Doors
12-18-2004, 10:30 PM
random stupid names.
The way to go ;)

Del Murder
12-19-2004, 02:04 AM
I name them after our lovely Eyes on Final Fantasy personalities.

Jojee
12-19-2004, 05:21 AM
i name the FFT soldiers after my friends ^^

Sepho
12-19-2004, 09:45 AM
I generally keep the default names in most cases, but there are a few exceptions, especially in some of the PSOne FF games, where I'll change the default name out for, say, a real name not mentioned until later in the game, or one that's secret. Examples (spoiler):

In FF7, I change Red XIII to Nanaki (after his real name), and Cait Sith to Reeve (after the Shinra employee that controls him).
In FF9, I usually change Dagger back to Garnet or Sara (after her real name) when I get the Namingway card, and sometimes Steiner to Rusty (after Zidane's nickname for him). I also changed Amarant to Coral in one of my early games, but I decided I liked Amarant better).

Dking'squeen
12-19-2004, 04:06 PM
sometimes i use names from other games *Fayt, Dart, Zell, Albel* or i'll use names either from 'on the spot' naming or from names in my stories like in tactics

name: Rhoan *from story Lord of the Crimson Night*
chocobo: Fayt
trusted dragoon: Faris
trusted geomancer:Zell
trusted knight:Rose
*trusted means people that are on my team*
i also come up with random names like Sasquach, or names that have nothing to do with the game, suck as PIKACHU

DJZen
12-19-2004, 08:30 PM
I name the lead character "Mullet" whenever possible. Not only does it usually fit their hair style, but it always fits their personality as well. I ran into a problem in FFVI though 'cause there isn't really a lead role. The other characters I name based on what seems like it would be the most horrible name for them. For example, Red XIII became Yellow V. I also tend to name at least one girl something like "Laticia" or "Shaniqua" or something like that. Just 'cause.

bakabakabaka
12-19-2004, 11:18 PM
dont really change them! if i have to it'd have to be ruphio and any other random names!

Flying Mullet
12-20-2004, 04:56 PM
I name the lead character "Mullet" whenever possible. Not only does it usually fit their hair style, but it always fits their personality as well. I ran into a problem in FFVI though 'cause there isn't really a lead role.
You could always name Edgar "Mullet", because he kinda looks like he has one.

crono_logical
12-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Defaults are good :p

Faith
12-22-2004, 06:54 AM
When my cousin first started playing FFVI (his first rpg) he renamed Terra, 'Farthead' as a joke, not knowing he couldn't change the name later. Turned out that he ended up finishing the game, (since he liked it so much) with Farthead winning the last battle. *sigh* Other than that, I always keep the default names.

rubah
12-22-2004, 07:01 AM
I named my characters the two and only times I've ever tried to play ff1 after my friends. who all have four letter names/nicknames so it's all good anyways. Aust, Matt, Rick, and Deri.

I changed aeris' name to aerith (didn't work, I still think of her as aeris) when I started ff7, and one game I had Tidus as T'Kevil (never finished that one.. wonder why) after my friend's boyfriend (kevin) and started naming the aeons after her cats (Sierra, Boogerbear)

Usually I like the originals:) frioniel who doesn't fit all the way!

(I enjoyed naming my chocobos in ff7 after my favorite characters:D I decided to change in the middle though, so I have a good yellow one named squall that I refuse to throw out until I get my ultimate gold chocobo--rinoa (. . . I screwed up and named my first female chocobo boko. Leave me alone:P) there are others such as locke, rydia, yuna, pants (for tidus, because that's what my dad calls him), auron, terra, and maria, and when I get around to it, nooj as goldie #3 I like chocobos.)

DJZen
12-22-2004, 09:03 PM
When my cousin first started playing FFVI (his first rpg) he renamed Terra, 'Farthead' as a joke, not knowing he couldn't change the name later. Turned out that he ended up finishing the game, (since he liked it so much) with Farthead winning the last battle. *sigh* Other than that, I always keep the default names.

"Farthead" doesn't fit the spaces they provide you.

finalheaven
12-22-2004, 10:01 PM
yeh i dont really change the name's either ..i dint know that u couldent rename them back either so when i named own name as apposed to cloud in my first ff...it was soooooooo annoying throught out the game..oh in ff9 when u had to rename Garent as Dagger ..i just renamed her Garnet lol..yeha well..um dats it.......

Faith
12-23-2004, 12:31 AM
"Farthead" doesn't fit the spaces they provide you.
He must have spelled it incorrectly. If you knew him, you could understand how a 17 year-old could manage that. Just curious, how many spaces are you provided with then? Want to know how badly he butchered it. :)

DJZen
12-23-2004, 02:44 AM
You only get 6 spaces. I guess "FartHd" would fit, but..... yeah......

finalheaven
12-23-2004, 07:58 PM
loo......so precise

Flamethrower
12-23-2004, 08:16 PM
I almost always keep the default names. Ocassionaly, I'll change the main character's name to my name, just so it feels more like I'm a part of the story, but that's it.

FF7 is an exception. Since I've played that game god knows how many times, every now and then I'd change up the characters names. One time I named them all after my friends. Another time I named them all after Dragon Ball Z characters. :sweatdrop (forgive me, I was young)

In FF1, since there are no default names, I usually name them something that resembles another FF character's name. Like, I'll name the fighter Kane (reference to Kain), the black belt Ying (reference to Yang), ect.

one.winged.angel.
12-23-2004, 11:42 PM

You can change the names ny gettinh a rename card

Ryth
12-24-2004, 01:12 AM
The default name.

moron
12-25-2004, 10:28 AM
I name my characters after parts of my anatomy and then I hack the game and change the monster names to parts of the female anatomy.

That way I can play FF4 for a while and then call my mom and tell her I was in the Mist Cave beating on "Twat"s with "Dong" and "Danglers" and I leveled up.

Nanakiroth
03-28-2005, 11:14 PM
I like to name mine after my favorite foods. And sometimes my favorite Swearwords. And sometimes, I just call them by what their hair looks like. And one time, I called everybody their normal names, but just added FACE to the end. Like, CloudFACE, BarretFACE, TifaFACE. Just that, I think Red XIII Ended up being something like, Red XIIIFAC Like that. But it was still cool.

RedCydranth
03-29-2005, 06:02 AM
I usually name the Main character Red and leave the rest default. My video game persona is ALWAYS Red. It has been for years, ever since the days of Dragon Warrior, Crystalis and Final Fantasy I. When Pokémon became popular and the main character of Pokémon Red's default name was Red, it aggrivated me. Sometimes I name my Rival Bleu (after Shining Force I's Dragon, NOT Pokémon again). Yes Bleu, like the cheese.

Masamune·1600
03-29-2005, 06:23 AM
For example, in CT, the name "Ayla" for the cave chick just... wasn't... good enough. Considering her style and appeal, her name, and such, I decided that her real name must actually be "Layla!" Not Ayla. Ayla sounds like a baby noise.

Ayla was probably based on the character Ayla (an Ice Age-era woman) from Jean M. Auel's series of prehistoric novels, Earth's Children. The best known among these is likely The Clan of the Cave Bear. I'll admit I've never read any of these, but the link seems fairly apparent. If Ayla isn't consistent with the Japanese name, then we likely have Ted Woolsey to blame.

DarkLadyNyara
03-29-2005, 03:36 PM
I name my characters after parts of my anatomy and then I hack the game and change the monster names to parts of the female anatomy.
You've got issues. :D :D :D
I generaly default.

Breine
03-29-2005, 05:45 PM
I keep the default names the first time I play through the game, but after that I sometimes give the characters names. I'm creative so I try to come up with names for the characters myself, which often turns out fine.

KoShiatar
03-29-2005, 08:13 PM
I leave defalut names, except when I really don't like one at all or there is no name. In that case, I mix up people I know, characters I like, invented names or silly sounding words. For instance my current FF I team is composed by:

-Nico (named after Nicola, a boy whom I happen to like a lot :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: )
-Yank
-Nyan (Meow in Japanese)
-Onji (From a song's name) ;)

TheSpoonyBard
03-29-2005, 08:45 PM
I'm similar to Sepho in that I change the names of characters to their 'real' names (Red XIII, Cait Sith, Garnet, etc.) but other than that I keep them default.

However, there were some confusing flashbacks in FFVII when I changed Cloud's name to Zack and Barret's name to Dyne, but that was only after I had played through several times.

Holycow81
04-01-2005, 11:00 PM
I usually keep the default names, except for the main character, which I name after myself (I share a PS2 with my brother, we need to know which game is whose). Except in FF6, in which the main character was Terra, and I'm a guy, so... yeah. However, in a recent game of FFVII, I named Barret Mr. T just 'cause I couldn't help it any longer. I didn't think of what would happen later in the game: "Aeris: Thank you, Mr Mr. T."

My friend always come up with stupid name that I can't help but laugh at... he names Tidus "FARTFACE", Cloud "CloudPEEh (pee head)" Barret "Buttboy", etc.

Someone on this forum mentioned calling Aeris "my balls", so I suggested it to him (he didn't mind hearing spoilers, and like the idea for her name)

I also eventually called Red XIII "Nanaki", and the next time I play through, I'm using the idea of calling Cait Sith "Reeve".