PDA

View Full Version : UK vs USA Rock music

tomamar04
12-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Which country has the best rock music.
I'm going for the UK because

1. My 3 favourite bands ever are British (Queen, U2, Oasis)
2. My 3 current favourite bands are British (Keane, Franz Ferdinand, Coldplay)
3. Because I'm patriotic.

Aurey
12-15-2004, 08:50 PM
I've acutally recently found out that Canada has a lot of great bands and musicians out there, so I'm actually more of a fan of Canadian music than any of the above.

But, I guess I should chose between the two. So, I'll go with the UK. The Clash forevar, dood.

Cz
12-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Most of the American 'rock' that gets over here is the popular stuff, Good Charlotte and what have you. We don't get to hear any of the good stuff that they produce because it just wouldn't sell, so they don't bother to import it.

Likewise, they don't get to hear a lot of our best music, so your view will be affected by what you've had access to.

I voted UK anyway, since from what I've heard, it is the better music, but I can't really be a fair judge.

Interesting question, though. :)

Shoeberto
12-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Currently, UK bands seem to be all about '70s revival and US is all about the post/pop-punk movement. Or last time I checked, it seemed that way.

I'll say UK, just because two of my favorites came from over there.

Spritz
12-15-2004, 09:24 PM
UK of course! We invented rocks, unlike those lieing french would have you beleive with their drivvle about the "Ingenoius Igneious Ingenuity" of 1874.

Pointless, possibly fictional, ramblings aside. I voted UK rock!

We had;

The Who: Great, fun music, simple. Also, look up Keith Moon on a search engine and you'll see another reason why they rock.

Queen: Put simply, Freddie Mercury had one hell of a voice, kickass/amusing song and possibly the most played song in sports entertainment; We are the Champions.

Punk Rock: No, not a band. Punk rock originated in England. Take a look at 'The Clash', 'The Damned' and of course, the 'Sex Pistols'. Punk Rock also made England alot better. Many punk bands participated in racial equality events to raise awareness, for instance.

Spinal Tap(Acctually American... ah well.): We made a movie about rock... Turn those speakers up to 11 boys! =D Not really rock music, unless you... 'liked'... the songs they performed but still a big part of rock history.

Lastly. What made UK rock great wasn't just the music they made. It was the way it helped change our country. The way it made people act, think and feel. Quite simply, without rock music England would be a different county.

Fairplay to America, they've had some nice bands but UK rock simply outshines it in musical quality and back story. Although, these days America is pulling away from the UK in terms of rock bands. I don't think I've herd any decent rock bands from the UK in years.

As for classic American punk, yay for Crime, The bags and the Dead Kennedys.

Shoeberto
12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Spinal Tap: We made a movie about rock... Turn those speakers up to 11 boys! =D Not really rock music, unless you... 'liked'... the songs they performed but still a big part of rock history.
I agree with you on all points except for this...it was an American film making fun of everyone. The actors were American (a few SNL alumni) who just did a really good job of acting like they were British rockstars.

Spritz
12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
They fooled me! =D

theundeadhero
12-15-2004, 11:00 PM
I can't decide!
Beatles vs Grateful Dead
The Who vs. Jimmy Hendrix
Pink Floyd vs. The Doors

It's just too hard!

Jack
12-16-2004, 12:37 AM
US Rock. Because I just prefer more US Rock Bands. I'm from the UK and I admit our history whipes the floor with the US. And our bands are probably better. I just prefer more US bands at the moment.
I love lots of British stuff, it's just that my favorite bands, most of them are American based.

-Smashing Pumpkins
-Pixies
-Pearl Jam

UK is better. We had the Beatles.

escobert
12-16-2004, 01:05 AM
AFI > all so USA > all

White Raven
12-16-2004, 01:20 AM
this subject is too subjective to be solved, but...my point of view...

USA
~Elvis
~Jimmi Hendrix
~Jim Morrison (The Doors)

UK
~The Beatles
~Pink Floyd
~Led Zeppelin

In my opinion, the US contributed to revolutionary rock individuals and the UK gave us revolutionary bands. So I would have to say that they're equals in contribution....and they all bow down to Canada!!! The Guess Who, BTO, Rush, Neil Young, Kim Mitchell, Bryan Adams, April Wine, Trooper, Steppen Wolf, The Hip ....you Yankee's and Brits have nothing on us Canucks. :D

theundeadhero
12-16-2004, 01:24 AM
AWWW Shucks, the canucks! Well, if were talking about the Canadians we can't forget Avril Lavigne now can we?

Funny this would show up today cause I meant to make a new siggy with Jim Morrison, Jimmi Hendrix, Jerry Garcia, and Kurt Cobain in it tonight.

Jebus
12-16-2004, 01:49 AM
I voted UK since four of my top five bands are British (Queen, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin) Although I absolutely <3 Jim Morrison.

GhandiOwnsYou
12-16-2004, 01:54 AM
both would suck pretty good if it weren't for the other. We all bounced stuff back and forth for years. Plus, remember that Punk wasn't all brit. granted, they started the movement. but We did hardcore up right. Ramones, Black Flag, DK, the casualties..... you got to give up for that. and unless i'm mistaken (which i highly doubt) we did start Hip Hop. Which, granted, is a festering pile of doo as of late, but it rocked back in the day. and it has influenced nearly everything since.

theundeadhero
12-16-2004, 02:09 AM
You forgot the original Misfits blast you! *shakes fists*!

Meat Puppet
12-16-2004, 03:24 AM
Belgium!

Oh. Then I guess I'll go with UK.

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-16-2004, 03:49 AM
U2 is Irish.

Meat Puppet
12-16-2004, 06:22 AM
I suppose this scenario is if the entire world got destroyed, excluding the U.S.A and U.K. Use your imagination.

krissy
12-16-2004, 06:44 AM
i'd be dead and can't vote :-[

Rusty
12-16-2004, 08:56 AM
I like Australia's rock music more than the UK and America's. But I'll vote for the UK because I love U2.

NM
12-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Overall i'd go with the UK. But at the moment I don't really like any of the new British band's. Especially Franz Ferdinand and if you can even class them as Rock, The Darkness. (I just don't like either of 'em.) Keane are ok but I wouldn't say there anything special. I don't really know what's come out of America recently aside from The Killer's who again aren't bad but nothing special. Austarila have produced some half decent band's recently as well the best one being The Vine's if you ask me.

Imo Britains best band at the moment would be Feeder. Grant Nicholas is probley our best songwriter from the past 10 years.

My favourite American band of recent time's are Filter. I don't think many people in the UK have heard of them even though they've been around for about 9 years.

Project G
12-16-2004, 12:35 PM
I can't vote, I like equal amounts of both I'd vote finnish

Rye
12-16-2004, 12:44 PM
Both are pretty good in different ways. I think I may vote UK just cause you don't have the "I'm so rebel cutter punx" bands in UK like Simple Plan.

Devourment
12-16-2004, 02:15 PM
I don't really want to slag the Americans because i don't really like anything pretty much to do with America(that is that i will say no more :cool: )
i would say British rock
Muse, Coldplay, Radiohead, Franz Ferdinand, Queen, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin
Althogh one great band that came out of America i'd say is Jimi Hendrix, i must say Avril lavigne....*Bollocks*.....ahem...crap.

jrgen
12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
I ususally don't like british or american music.

Cz
12-16-2004, 03:38 PM
You know, it's really refreshing to see that this thread is a serious discussion of music, rather than a US vs. UK flame war. This is what all internet conversation should be like. Well done, guys. :)

Devourment
12-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I ususally don't like british or american music.What music do you like then?

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-16-2004, 06:22 PM
African.

Rye
12-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Actually, Avril is from Canada. God, I think if Avril was from America I'd move to Mexico.

jrgen
12-16-2004, 06:33 PM
What music do you like then?
European music.(Excluding British)
Mainly German.

Pure Strife
12-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Maiden and Sabbath mate, Maiden and Sabbath. But then 'tallica and Megadeth. Both places have a slew of great bands, but how many American musicians have pissed on the Alamo?

Whatever the case, I'd say it's about tied.

Spritz
12-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Imo Britains best band at the moment would be Feeder. Grant Nicholas is probley our best songwriter from the past 10 years.

! How could I forget? xD I currently have Feeder - Perfect Day stuck in my head and I'm loving it xD

Also... Avril... ew ; ; I wish Canada would recycle her.

You know, it's really refreshing to see that this thread is a serious discussion of music, rather than a US vs. UK flame war. This is what all internet conversation should be like. Well done, guys.

but teh UK have teh GUItar and teh lootE!!!!!!111 j00 all r teh suCk0rz and eye R0ck0rz =(... or something. =o

tomamar04
12-16-2004, 08:08 PM
I'd like to point out one thing (I should of really said this when I originally posted the topic)

I'm know I haven't included other great musical countries (Canada, Australia, Germany, Finland etc.) but me and a friend were having an argument the other day, I said UK, he said US, so I made this poll.

By the way, I also think Feeder are great.
And yes, Avril Lavinge is the worst thing to ever come out of Canada (along with Ice hockey)

Aurey
12-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Actually, Avril is from Canada. God, I think if Avril was from America I'd move to Mexico.

I don't really like how some people think that all Canadian music is Avril Lav- I can't spell her last name, Celine Dion, Anne Murray, Shania Twain and other popular Canadian bands like Simple Plan, Billy Talent, Barenaked Ladies and Great Big whatchamacallit, because it's seriously not. There's so many other bands that were made in Canada that actually have a lot more talent than that (I'm not saying that all the popular bands/musicians don't have talent, they're just not that great at things musically). You just have to look in the right places, which isn't MuchMusic (or MTV, yatta yatta yatta) or the most popular radio stations in your town. The underground music of Canada is all that I basically listen to now. It's really some great stuff.

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything like that, I really don't like how Avril is Canadian either, but I can live with it. I just ignore her.

Cz
12-16-2004, 08:16 PM
I don't really like how some people think that all Canadian music is Avril Lav- I can't spell her last name, Celine Dion, Anne Murray, Shania Twain and other popular Canadian bands like Simple Plan, Billy Talent, Barenaked Ladies and Great Big whatchamacallit, because it's seriously not. There's so many other bands that were made in Canada that actually have a lot more talent than that (I'm not saying that all the popular bands/musicians don't have talent, they're just not that great at things musically). You just have to look in the right places, which isn't MuchMusic (or MTV, yatta yatta yatta) or the most popular radio stations in your town. The underground music of Canada is all that I basically listen to now. It's really some great stuff.The problem with the good bands is that they don't get any airplay outside of Canada (at least, not in the UK), and that limits their sphere of influence in the US and elsewhere. The popular crap is all that we get, and that's why our opinion of Canadian music is rather low. We're just incredibly uninformed, that's all. :)

Rye
12-16-2004, 08:21 PM
I don't think all Canadian music is Avril Lavigne. I like Sum 41 a lot. They're great. Shania Twain is talented too. I just said that she's from Canada, not the US.

Aurey
12-16-2004, 08:26 PM
The problem with the good bands is that they don't get any airplay outside of Canada (at least, not in the UK), and that limits their sphere of influence in the US and elsewhere. The popular crap is all that we get, and that's why our opinion of Canadian music is rather low. We're just incredibly uninformed, that's all. :)

Ah, yeah. I didn't think about that. Silly me. :P I know I shouldn't get all steamed up about these kind of things, but I guess it's kind of a programmed reaction for me. Sorry if I was being a little too offensive.

But, thanks for clearing that up, Czech. :)

Cz
12-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Oh no, I'm not offended. Just thought that I'd point out how unfair it is that the rest of the world can only judge Canada on its mainstream artists when there's obviously such a vibrant music scene over there.

Don't worry about it, just count yourself lucky that you've got access to it all while we're over here wallowing in Avril Lavigne and Celine Dion. :)

Dingo Jellybean
12-16-2004, 09:19 PM
I don't think all Canadian music is Avril Lavigne. I like Sum 41 a lot. They're great. Shania Twain is talented too. I just said that she's from Canada, not the US.

Don't forget Alanis Morrissette. Nelly Furtado is Canadian too, but she died off.

I like Australia's rock music more than the UK and America's. But I'll vote for the UK because I love U2.

U2 is Irish.

Heh. Many Aussie bands never make it out of their borders, but I do like Powderfinger.

Dante WolfWood
12-16-2004, 09:25 PM
IDCare, america has RHCP, thats all I need.

USA Rulez!!!

BUT, UK came close bc of MUSE.....>.> hmm

Rye
12-16-2004, 10:06 PM
Yeah, Nelly Furtado is pretty cool. I like Celine Dion too, she's a BRILLIANT singer.

theundeadhero
12-17-2004, 12:22 AM
I was joking about Avril Livigne and Canada, sorry for the confusion. Ozzy might of pissed on the Alamo but Motley Crue can hold thier own against him in a crazy contest.

Meat Puppet
12-17-2004, 12:24 AM
African.

Jack Hammer for life.

fire_of_avalon
12-17-2004, 12:42 AM
U2 is Irish.

PAY ATTENTION WHEN SPIFF TALKS HE IS SMART.

I agree with White Raven, there's really no way you can place one above the other.

But for voting purposes, the United States invented rock music.

*wins.

Rusty
12-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Heh. Many Aussie bands never make it out of their borders, but I do like Powderfinger.

Jet did :) Jet and Powderfinger are some of the best rock bands I've listened to.

Cz
12-17-2004, 09:06 PM
But for voting purposes, the United States invented rock music.
And the Dutch invented the internal combustion engine, but that didn't stop the Germans going on to make a car out of it, did it?

Not that I'm suggesting US rock isn't any good, of course. Just that first isn't always best. :)