PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy One???

feioncastor
12-15-2004, 09:06 PM
As you know, recently FF DoS has been released, which features FF1 and 2 for the GBA.

What is your opinion of this?

Some people label it to be almost blasphemy because FF1 is/was an excellent game and it should've been left alone. A lot of video game 'buffs' are upset because there was a time when only the true FF fans had played FF1, and now a bunch of "FFX-2" players suddenly think they know what Final Fantasy is all about because of FF DoS.

Then there are those who think it is a wonderful idea and are glad to see FF1 opened up to a new audience. They are happy that a whole new generation of gamers will get to enjoy the wonderful game that is Final Fantasy 1.

Personally, I'm on the fence about this one. I've been playing FFs since 1991 so I feel that I am among the experienced FF players, and it troubles me that all these newbies are trying to talk about FF1 when really, they've probably never played, or hadn't played it, until DoS. But I also love to see remakes, for example, Final Fantasy Origins. I loved the new sound and graphics, and it really wasn't that popular so mostly old-school FF fans actually bought it. I haven't played DoS yet, but I will be buying it, simply because I need to own every FF title, and this is an FF title.

I'm just kind of upset that everyone thinks they know about FF games now that these remakes are coming out like this. I was playing them over 10 years ago, and I didn't need advanced graphics or any of that. The games were already good games; why did they have to re-do them? They're already cool, so if it isn't broke, don't fix it. These games didn't need to be fixed, and Square did anyway, and I'm worried that they are going to spoil the classics, much like they spoiled the FF name (from 8 onward).

Here I go, rambling again.

Captain Maxx Power
12-15-2004, 09:27 PM
The thing that I would imagine would irk many of us "old-skoolers" is the fact that the DoS version of FF1 has almost been reworked from the ground up. Many of the old elements are there (story, dungeons, spells, classes etc.), but they've taken a lot of liberties (the side dungeons, new equipment, new MP system, Ethers - This was a MASSIVE change to me in FF1). FF2 has remained pretty much intact, with the exception of a tweak of how spell/stat experience is gained. the DoS versions certainly aren't the exact copies that Origins were, but they are damn good fun all the same.

As for the "new-skoolers" thinking they know everything, then let them. After all we know better. :)

Martyr
12-15-2004, 09:57 PM
It's a friggin' desecration!

Who desecrates themselves?!

Bah!

I think that the Enix in Square is sabotaging Square's soul. Final Fantasy 1 was thair savior! To do this...

It's absolute blasphemy!

Sephex
12-15-2004, 10:02 PM
I was one of the few who played FFI when it came out. I was into RPGs for a long time. I don't mind these slight remakes at all. Just let people have their fun!

Craig
12-15-2004, 10:24 PM
Ok I can see how FFnoobies talking like they know it all would be annoying but the way i see it is is that its a game and anyone who likes final fantasy games should have as much chance to play it as oldbies did it isnt their fault they were born later.

theundeadhero
12-15-2004, 11:06 PM
These "Noobers" will be no better or worse than the ones that came around with the origins release. At least with the differences you can still tell who the "Hardcore" ones are. I say it's great because now I can play FF I and II when I go to Iraq!

DJZen
12-15-2004, 11:23 PM
It's a friggin' desecration!

Who desecrates themselves?!

Bah!

I think that the Enix in Square is sabotaging Square's soul. Final Fantasy 1 was thair savior! To do this...

It's absolute blasphemy!

Aren't you tired of sounding ignorant yet? Enix was a consistent company when it came to the quality of their games, which were always awesome. I can NOT think of an Enix game that hasn't totally engrossed me. Act Raiser is, to this day, a game that simply astounds me. Square gave us Tom Sawyer. That should tell you something about Square's "soul" right there. Square has ALWAYS been a very "hit or miss" company. If you don't like what they did, you've got no one to blame but Square. Even internally the two former companies are pretty much separate camps under one banner, minding their own business. Even within Square and Enix there's always been different development teams responsible for different products. This is how they churn out so many games.

Anyway, back on topic... I'm not at all worried about the "n00bs" liking DoS. If anything I'm glad people are taking an interest because it spurs further interest in the older games in the series, which are my favorites. And maybe the reason they talk about FF1 like they know it is because they think they DO know it. It should be your duty as an old schooler to show these people their roots. Let them make up their minds from there, but don't fault them simply for not knowing.

Martyr
12-16-2004, 03:34 AM
Aren't you tired of sounding ignorant yet? Enix was a consistent company when it came to the quality of their games, which were always awesome. I can NOT think of an Enix game that hasn't totally engrossed me. Act Raiser is, to this day, a game that simply astounds me. Square gave us Tom Sawyer. That should tell you something about Square's "soul" right there. Square has ALWAYS been a very "hit or miss" company. If you don't like what they did, you've got no one to blame but Square. Even internally the two former companies are pretty much separate camps under one banner, minding their own business. Even within Square and Enix there's always been different development teams responsible for different products. This is how they churn out so many games.

Chill out. I don't know anything about having sounded ignorant in the past. It's recent news to me that square joined Enix. If there's Enix haters that I don't know about, then I'm sorry I brought this up. It was more of a joke/conspiracy comment to add some slight, if purposefully false, backing to my argument.

You get on my case too much, by the way.

Caster Black Wizard
12-16-2004, 12:04 PM
G,day fellas
just to say origins was okay but square shouldnt have gone this far!
It all comes down to this........
Why fix something thats not broken?[U]

Sephex
12-16-2004, 05:47 PM
G,day fellas
just to say origins was okay but square shouldnt have gone this far!
It all comes down to this........
Why fix something thats not broken?[U]

They aren't trying to fix anything. They are simply putting old, classic games that are modified. Some people enjoy the difficulty while others don't. Like I said before, just let people have their fun. Video games have never been about being difficult or easy. It's always been about having fun.

Garland
12-17-2004, 12:10 AM
Oldbies, newbies, hardcore NES FF Vets, FF7 starters - in the long run, noone will care. When FFVII was released, the small group of FF loyalists from the 2d era were in an uproar because their small private hobby was popular - some people just like to do the unpopular things solely because they're not popular (underground music vs pop, action games vs RPGs, etc). God forbid RPG's became popular, because then these people were no longer special. However, they still clung to the Japanese only FFV, and touted it the best game ever, till it was released and people realized how unspecial it really was. Many people are upset at FF1 becoming accessable to the mainstream for the same reason - it dilutes their claims at being "Old-skoool l33t g@merz" or however you spell it. "I've played every FF ever made" is no longer a real point of ego to club over the head of people who started with the PS1 games. Ah well, they can always denounce 3d graphics as a sell out, and go back to FF6 or something. Most of the real world won't care. We'll just enjoy FF1 DoS for what it is, an easier renovation of an old classic with enough new features to stand on its own feet.

theundeadhero
12-17-2004, 12:27 AM
I cling to it because all the little geeky things I like are slowly becoming popular. NES, ninja turtles, lunch boxes, the list goes on and on. My world is slowly being devoured by the mainstream and there's nothing I can do about it... :cry:

MecaKane
12-17-2004, 12:32 AM
At least losers can still claim downloadin the FFIII ROM is some big accomplishment, untill they release totally remade full 3D III-VI on PS3 on some super awesome blueray disk, like they must be planing, since they never exploited any of the SNES games onto the GBA. :)

Seriously, though. People aren't allowed to play a game because it came out before they were born, or something? I was 13 when I started playing Final Fantasys, that's being born in 1992 now. By the time they could've held a controler NES was dead and burried.

ljkkjlcm9
12-17-2004, 12:41 AM
uhm, who cares?

So what if people are playing FF games, I mean yeah FFI is different now, but at least you know you played the original. Oh and FFIII is being released on the DS so that won't be special either, and guess what, it will only be a bit of time before IV, V, and VI and realeased on the DS or the PSP even, depending on which sells better, more likely the DS.

Either way, old school is cool now, what difference does it make. I mean, you can still brag and say, i have my copy of FFI NES and it is still in working condition, like I do.

FF is a great series and everyone should enjoy it. I'm actually glad it's being re-released so people realize what made a great game back in the day, yeah it's been tweaked but c'mon what difference does it make in the long run, they are just games, forms of entertainment.