PDA

View Full Version : New Mars Volta album leaked

The Man
12-15-2004, 09:40 PM
Anyone else heard it yet? I'm inclined to conclude from this record that progressive rock is alive and well.

Yamaneko
12-15-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm listening to it right now. It's got its high points. I probably need to run through it a couple more times before I make a solid conclusion, but may I ask what's progressive about it besides the long track times?

EDIT: I can see some prog elements. Eh, I'll just listen to it more.

The Man
12-15-2004, 10:47 PM
The fact that most songs have multiple movements, for starters. xD

Cygnus....Vismund Cygnus

a. Sarcophagi
b. Umbilical Syllables
c. Facilis Descenus Averni
d. Con Safo

The Widow

L'Via L'Viaquez

Miranda, That Ghost Just Isn't Holy Anymore

1. Vade Mecum
2. Pour Another Icepick
3. Pisacis (Phra-Men-Ma)
4. Con Safo

Cassandra Gemini

a. Tarantism
b. Plant A Nail In The Navel Stream
c. Faminepulse
d. Multiple Spouse Wounds
e. SarcophagiTo be honest, this album probably won't make nearly as much sense if you're not familiar with TMV's other work, which is much more accessible. ;p

Casey
12-16-2004, 01:33 AM
Ive started listening to it. So far "The Widow" sounds good, like the guitars and the saxophone on that one song. Im going to buy this album when it comes out. :)

radyk05
12-16-2004, 03:15 AM
the mars volta is the greatest progresive band ever... like for the first ten minutes. then it just gets annoying. must be the singer's voice (just like at the drive in).

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-16-2004, 03:53 AM
Mars Volta = At the Drive In, actually.

The Man
12-16-2004, 03:56 AM
To clarify Spiff's post, it's Cedric and Omar from ATDI; the other three members of ATDI are now the principal members of Sparta. Sparta sounds a hell of a lot more like ATDI than TMV does, though; TMV goes in a completely different direction.

And I honestly like Cedric's voice a lot. I find him a lot more tolerable a vocalist than, say, Geddy Lee (who also fronts a prog band and has a similar vocal range).

radyk05
12-16-2004, 04:27 AM
Mars Volta = At the Drive In, actually.
they're not quite the same. see the man's post. their MUSIC and LYRICS are awesome, never-the-less, it's just cedric's voice... i can't stand it!! anyway, is the second album theme-based (like the first one)?

Yamaneko
12-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Rick Wakeman likes them. So I guess they must being doing something right. Then again, he also likes Incubus. :(

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-16-2004, 06:28 PM
I like "pre-political Incubus".

The Man
12-16-2004, 07:07 PM
anyway, is the second album theme-based (like the first one)? Even more so than the first one, actually. It turns out that the five tracks that are on suprnova right now aren't quite the entire album, either; initial pressings, at least, are going to come with a fifteen-minute, one-track single containing the title track, which is reputed to put the rest of the album into context.