PDA

View Full Version : Inu-Yasha: Overrated?

Imperia
12-17-2004, 05:42 AM
Do any of you think that Inu-Yasha is overrated?

I think it is. Even though I enjoy most of the time, I think it's one of the most overrated anime to ever come to Western television. The fandom behind it is ridiculous. The Inu-Yasha fanatics act like the show is the best thing that ever happened to them, and they take the characters way too seriously (i.e. Inu-Yasha, Kagome, Kikyo, and Sesshomaru). I have had several Kagome fans chew me up because I can't STAND their favorite character. It sickens me on how they worship this fictional school-girl and treat her like she's some goddess, and they act like it's taboo to dislike her.

As for the show itself, I like the history and the mythology in it, and I like Kikyo and Sango, but lately, it's been getting very dippy. Kagome's dub voice is getting worse, and the character herself is getting more annoying to me (I'm at the point where I am close to actually despising her). Many of the episodes now are just "filler episodes," and it's starting to get a little monotonous.

What are your thoughts about it?

Trumpet Thief
12-17-2004, 06:03 AM
chaos: Definetly. I tried getting into it, really, I did, but I just couldn't.

Seifer
12-17-2004, 08:59 AM
I'd say part of the problem is there being too many episodes. This series would be much better if the number was halved...maybe even quartered.

TheAbominatrix
12-17-2004, 09:16 AM
I'd say part of the problem is there being too many episodes. This series would be much better if the number was halved...maybe even quartered.

Agreed. That's a common problem I find in Rumiko Takahashi's various series. Like Ranma 1/2 for example. I really enjoyed the first 30 or so episodes. But it goes on and ON, with the same four basic formulas, nd it gets very old.

As for Inu-Yasha, I think it's a wonderful idea. Very interesting, very mystical. But I couldnt stand it, because for me, I may have just as well been watching Ranma 1/2. In essence, it's the same characters, just in different forms. Inu Yasha and Kagome have the love/hate relationship of Ranma and Akane (which grates on the nerves very quickly. Get over the easily offended crap you two!), there's the lech and the tough, toy-boyish woman, and so on.

Now it's not to say that many other manga-ka, or creators in any field really, dont do the same thing. Sometimes it's quite enjoyable. But Inu Yasha just didnt do it for me.

And as for the fans, there's <i>always</i> a legion of annoying, obsessive freaks who love the same thing you do. I'm a huge Sailormoon fan, for instance, and there's always a sect of obsessive people who just bug the crap out of me. Or like, when I camped out overnight (with ShlupQuack and ButThePoncho nonetheless) for Attack of the Clones; there were some people that had been there just a few hours more than us, and those that showed up the next day; fun fans who could see the flaws in their own fandom and were well-versed but not psychotically knowledgable in Star Wars lore. <i>Then</i> there were the people who had camped out for 2 months (some of them very nice, mind you) who were... well... insane. I suppose it's something we have to deal with in everything.

Oooh I ranted.

Shockwave Pulsar
12-17-2004, 03:16 PM
I really liked the series, mostly because almost all anime shown in my country is kids-oriented. i was pretty into it, and about episode 60 the network moved the show from 5:00 o'clock in the afternoon, to 1:00 o'clock in the morning, obviously i couldn't watch it anymore. they say it was because parents complaints, but i don't really know why, the series was no worst than db (shown everyday for at least an hour, on primetime), yet they removed it. but, there has been very special occasions where i could catch an episode, and it seems to have gotten a little bit weird, like this guy in love with inuyasha, and i sort of understand, we are very conservative around here..

black orb
12-17-2004, 04:00 PM
>>> I dont know the anime studio behind it but the animation is very well done compared to other stuff I`ve seen. But yeah, I think Inuyasha is overrated..
There are more interesting titles on Shonen Sunday besides Inuyasha which hasnt been turned into anime yet, like MAR..
Damn, a MAR anime would be awesome.. :love:

crono_logical
12-17-2004, 06:06 PM
I think it's overrated, but not as overrated as Naruto :D

CloudSquallandZidane
12-17-2004, 07:27 PM
No i enjoy every minute of it to the fullest, why i dont know, so it must just be good.

Agent Proto
12-17-2004, 11:33 PM
I've learned to stay away from anime that consists more than 30 episodes. :D

And this is one of them.

Shoeberto
12-17-2004, 11:43 PM
Never liked it. Always gave me a reason to go to bed during the summer after Adult Swim's 12:00 block.

black orb
12-18-2004, 12:22 AM
I think it's overrated, but not as overrated as Naruto :D
>>> I think One Piece is even more overrated.. :D