PDA

View Full Version : Yourself now vs. yourself 2 years ago.

Dingo Jellybean
12-17-2004, 06:34 AM
How would you compare yourself now?

2 years ago, I would've looked at the lottery to ending all of my problems. Now, I look at myself as the solution to all of my problems. 2 years ago I would've sat mindlessly playing games like FFX-2 or some crap like that. Now, I don't even play games. 2 years ago I would've thought my studies were boring, but now...I look at studies as pretty exciting. I squeal at a new chapter in a math text.

2 years ago I wanted to quit my cashier job and just let my mother pay for my tuition(thank god I didn't). Now, I can't imagine myself jobless and schooless.

I don't know what changed me, but I feel like I have some purpose in life now. It's such a great feeling. I love being able to pay for my own tuition, and I love the fact that I'll never play games again. It's so damn weird. 2 years ago I never would have said these things.

Honestly, if there's a billion dollars and not being able to teach compared to 35k/year teaching, I'd teach hands down(I know I've said this before). Don't you hate it when something changes you so much but you don't know what it is?

Shlup
12-17-2004, 06:37 AM
Two years ago I think I was more optimistic than I am now. That's about the only difference.

Jebus
12-17-2004, 06:40 AM
Two years ago I was angrier than I am now, and slightly more stable. Its like the angry part and the nice/happy part of my are trying to split into two separate personalities.

Jojee
12-17-2004, 06:53 AM
Two years ago I was even more happy-go-lucky and I was very naive and very very innocent and n_n

Now I've toughened up a bit! And become less naive! And less innocent! And sexier of course though I dunno how that's possible! ...*cough* Ok maybe scratch the last part. xD

And two years ago I was a monkey n_n

DMKA
12-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Hmm...2 years ago...I was *thinks* 17? Year was 2002, grade was 11th. Let's see what's changed:

2 years ago I was more concerned with how I was ever gonna get a PS2 so I could play FFX rather than my school work. Now school is practically my life and I don't play games.

2 years ago I was highly anti-military...just a few months ago I was in the military.

2 years ago I couldn't wait to turn 18...now I'm 19 and all the reasons WHY I wanted to be 18 haven't happened, but all the curses have and I am now dealing with them.

2 years ago I made a big deal out of Christmas and my birthday, and expected something significant on both days...now, they pretty much come and go without me or anyone else seeming to care much.

2 years ago I would have refused to listen to anything even relative to Britney, NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, ect., and would only listen to things like KoRn and The Offspring...now I just listen to whatever the hell I want to, which is a bit of everything.

2 years ago I could sit and play a new game for 10 - 15 hours straight...now I can barely sit and do anything for 1 hour.

2 years ago I wanted a car...now I'd pay you not to give me a car.

2 years ago I could care less how I looked when I walked out the door...now I seem to care alot about how I present myself.

2 years ago I hated Oklahoma...now I pretty much hate life in general, including Oklahoma and the entire southern region of the United States.

So yeah, a few things about me have changed mentally, but my life situation hasn't changed at all and has overall gotten worse.

Teek
12-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Actually, I just wrote about this in my livejournal, only it was about one year ago. :D

And two years ago, I was more stable but less happy... I guess.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Me 2 years ago hmmm....id like to say that the biggest difference is that right now....im pretty comfortable with myself....dont get me wrong there are some moments where im still trying to find myself n stuff but overall im just....alright with myself....still trying to take stuff not too seriously round home!!

2 years ago i was in grade 10.....Looking back i felt i was over the top....trying to be everyones friend and for a moment i was but thinking about i was being abit of a poser these days i just take a step back and breathe (literally and metaphorically speaking....free from exams yay lol)

....its all good

ps. AMAZING RACE WENT TO THE PHILIPPINES....IM IN LOVE WITH THAT SHOW!! :D

Rye
12-17-2004, 11:56 AM
God. Me at 12. I don't even wanna go there. I was insane and I posted terrible here like "^.^ lolz" and stuff. I was naive too. I prefer myself now. Plus when I was 12, I had a weird really low singing voice. My singing voice is much better now and I'm used to singing really high, so I wouldn't wanna change that/

Mindflare
12-17-2004, 12:21 PM
I was happier then. But I was a lot less intellegent. I've also become a lot more boring of a person.

I haven't changed all that much, really.

Faris
12-17-2004, 01:07 PM
2 years ago, i had little respect for myself (shows how unhappy my past was)....now i've regained all the love for myself
i was afraid of the dark........ :love: the dark
was horrible in school.....i'm alot better now :D
had no internet........Yay! i do now :D
had little friends in the same class..........yay more friends now
i was quiet......now i won't shut up :D
shy like hell.......still the same :p
2 years ago I would've given just about anything to have what i have now :D

Cless
12-17-2004, 03:19 PM
Two years ago I was lot happier but I was was also an ignorant, judgemental, shallow person. I used to think very highly of myself, not that I would have acted arrogantly, but I was self-assurred to the nth degree. I would have not wanted to be seen in school with people that were seen as "uncool", even if I thought they were nice people. This was because I felt like I had a reputation to uphold. I became obsessed with my image, wearing only designer clothing and excercising until my bones ached. I would run away from the things about myself that I didn't like or rather, didn't think I should've liked.

For example, the fact that I played computer games and even more so that I preferred the "uncool" RPG genre. I changed the truth to suit myself. Told people what I felt they wanted to hear. All this seemed to work though. I was very popular in school, had a gorgeous (but also narrow-minded, shallow and judgemental) girlfriend that made me the envy of my friends, I was very good at sport and done well in school.
But, under the surface I felt empty. My girlfriend and I struggled to talk about anything besides petty stuff and I never really felt comfortable with her. I would hate it when she asked me things about my life. I didn't like the subject and didn't tell her things that I should have like the fact that I was bed-ridden for a year because of an illness when I was 14. Which is another kind of lie as I wasn't ill, just so disgusted at myself and wanting to die that I feigned illness for a year to not have to face the world. :cry:

Ok, drifting from the subject a BIT there! Overall I'm a better person now than I was two years ago. I couldn't care less about "reputations" or "image" now and don't care much for what anyone thinks of me but I was happier 2 years ago.

Citizen Bleys
12-17-2004, 04:30 PM
2 years, eh? I think I was a lot worse off 2 years ago than I am now, to be perfectly honest. 2 years ago, my life as I knew it was crumbling around me, whereas now I have a stable job (which allows me to surf the internet between calls!), a stable home, enjoyable hobbies, and a cute little kitten. 2 years ago, I was still on staff and already had lost the "magic" that being staff here initially held.

Make it 4 years ago, and you have a totally different story. Even though 4 years ago, I had limited internet access and no job, I was just as happy as I am now, albeit stupider and less self-sufficient. 2 years ago, the MTX lyric "A shadow of my former self, which wasn't all that great" applied to me. 4 years ago and today, I'm living a better life. Difference being, today I can afford lots and lots of beer, and I have a community on FFXI that matters to me as much as EoFF mattered to me 4 years ago.

Lindy
12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Me vs Me?

I think I could beat me from two years ago in a fight, easily.

...Wait, no I couldn't, I had a metal bat back then.

theundeadhero
12-17-2004, 08:52 PM
At this time 2 years ago I was in boot camp so I'll go a little farther back then that.
At the time I changed jobs every few months or so. I went between different fast food places and other minimal wage jobs where I was always low on cash. Now I have a garunteed paycheck and can afford to have a hobby or go out to have fun once in a while. I still play video games as a main hobby it's just nice to know I have other options. I play games a lot less.
At the time I was always partying with friends. Drinking plus ... seemed to be all their really was for us to do and it was fun. For a whole summer I only came home once or twice a week to sleep before going off somewere again. Many good memories came from it though. Now it varies, but a majority of my weekends are spent hanging outside the barracks with a beer or two with the rest of the barracks soldiers. It feels really empty.
At the time (and still) I had some great friends. I've known "Sweetpea" for 8 years now, Cher for 5, Rich for 8, Jeff for 3, and my cousin my whole life. Others were around but I considered these my real friends. I had a very close relationship with each of them in our own way and it was nice having the fellowship. Now, I still see them when I go home, but where I'm at I don't have any real friends. There's people I talk to and work with but no real friendsiip. It's pretty lonely.

All in all, I can say 2 years ago I was happier but now I have more of a future to look forward to. I loved my simple lifestyle and miss it very much but don't regret it. I knew I had to do something to start a future and started down it when the time came. Now isn't the best of times but in 2 years I'll go back home to a better place for me and have a way to live and I'll enjoy it very much.

escobert
12-17-2004, 09:06 PM
2 years ago I was a much happier person. I was much more carfree. But now I'm older and smarter :smash: and in college :p

Necronopticous
12-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Right now I would totally kick my ass 2 years ago.

Loony BoB
12-17-2004, 09:46 PM
Two years agoI wasn't jaded by love, hell, two years ago I would have been around eleven months into my relationship with Stefanie. I've spent about a year of being jaded by past relationships etc. now and have finally moved on for the most part. I'm more stressed than I was then, though.

Otherwise not much has changed. Maybe I'm more blunt.

Yamaneko
12-17-2004, 09:52 PM
I'm two inches taller. I rather than not be two inches shorter.

Cz
12-17-2004, 09:58 PM
People don't turn much between ages 13 and 15, at least that's my experience of the period. Sure, my musical tastes have changed, as have the clothes I wear and the food I eat, but I'm essentially the same person I was then. A lot of things in my life have changed, but I don't think I've changed very much with them.

My online personality has certainly changed, though. When I see a post from my newbie days I realise what an inarticulate jerk I was, and how annoying I must have been. It seemed that I was more concerned with appearing 'cool' online, and becoming popular at the message boards I frequented, than I was about actually talking to others. I guess you could say that I act a lot more like my real life self online.

The ironic thing about this thread is that were another to be made in two years time, we'd all be looking back at our former selves with a similar disdain. Personalities do evolve much quicker than we think (which rather negates my opening sentence, to be honest), and it's not uncommon to look back on your past actions with more than a little bit of regret. It would be interesting to see just how a future thread of this sort might turn out, actually. I hope someone starts one in 2006. :)

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-17-2004, 09:59 PM
An interesting thing to note is how we tend to look at ourselves as having changed a great deal over x amount of years, when, in actuality, such a change may not have truly come to pass.

StarlightAngel
12-17-2004, 10:05 PM
Two years ago I did the least bit I had to do for school. Now I do my best.

bennator
12-17-2004, 10:09 PM
2 years ago I was in the depths of depression, friendless, unsociable, and pretty much just all around screwed up. I'm now happy, have friends, socialize, and well, have traded my old screw ups for new quirks.

fire_of_avalon
12-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Two years ago I was in highschool, chasing a boy who is now pretty freakin close to me and had very little to worry about. Now, I'm pretty much half of the support of my family, and trying to do school from home. Nothing's easy anymore, I guess.

But I'm still hot.

Agent Proto
12-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Two years ago, I was 20. Hmmm. What's different from them and now? Well, now I guess I'm more mature. I guess that's where the difference go, I guess. I don't know. ^_^

SeeDRankLou
12-17-2004, 11:36 PM
Two years ago I was kind of lost, toward the end of the drug use phase of my life, and pretty depressed. Since then, I have fixed a lot of stuff. A lot more needs to be fixed, but I'm a much better person now. Still single though.

Craig
12-17-2004, 11:38 PM
2 years ago, I was a childish dweeb, now i'm like Dingo 2 years ago, not for long I hope.

Shoeberto
12-17-2004, 11:48 PM
I've changed, but who hasn't?

I've learned to be more mellow about things, and that the answer to a lot of life's problems are to take a step back, look at how it fits into the big picture, and realize how unimportant whatever squabbling is to every subsequent event in your life.

Nemesis
12-17-2004, 11:54 PM
Two years ago I think I was more optimistic than I am now. That's about the only difference.

Same here, It's interesting how much you can change in so little time

- Nem

Casey
12-17-2004, 11:55 PM
Two years ago I was a dumbass.
Two years ago I didnt lift weights.
Two years ago I used to play videogames alot.
Two years ago I was heavily depressed.
Two years ago I was a skinny weak :love: :love: :love: :love: .

Aurey
12-17-2004, 11:56 PM
Two years ago I was a stupid kid who liked to spaz out in shopping malls and act like a jerk to everyone I knew and sometimes people I didn't even know very well. But I was kind of shy, really.

Now I'm more calm and a lot more shy and a lot more smarter. I'm a lot more happier now, too. But, I don't know if I'm not a jerk anymore, I feel like I come off as one to people sometimes.

But, yeah. I think the me right now could beat the crap out of the me two years ago.

Craig
12-18-2004, 12:15 AM
Two years ago I didnt lift weights.
Two years ago I used to play videogames alot.
Two years ago I was heavily depressed.
Two years ago I was a skinny weak :love: :love: :love: :love: .

That is also me now.

=Angelus=
12-18-2004, 01:45 AM
i was quiet......now i won't shut up :D
shy like hell.......still the same :p

Shy.. but won't shut up.... hmm.... scary..... *steers clear of Faris*:D

Two years ago.. i couldn't draw properly.. sometimes i look through my folder and wonder "Who on earth draw such !@#$% ?" then i look at the signature under it and realise... Hey!.. its min....its about time to burn this so no one will ever know :D

Logan
12-18-2004, 02:15 AM
Two years ago I didn't like myself (I still don't, but I disliked myself a lot more then), I was dealing with my problems in a stupid way, and I weighed like 25 pounds more. I had more friends, though. And I was really quiet, really shy, never talked in classes, and now my teachers can't get me to shut up. :)

Demon eye
12-18-2004, 02:20 AM
A drunk teenage FAT GUY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh u mean years ago a TRAMP ORPHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy the Clown
12-18-2004, 02:21 AM
I'd kick my old self's ass for taking a job at McDonald's. The management rode me the hardest, just because I was one of the few who spoke fluent English. Denied breaks, overtime, and working the speakers were a few of the tortures they had me going through on a daily basis.

Demon eye
12-18-2004, 02:22 AM
I am sad and still an ORPHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen Bleys
12-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Hmmm.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=orphen

doesn't seem to be a word

Del Murder
12-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Not much has changed.

nihowma buffet
12-18-2004, 08:04 PM
hm... two years ago. i was just coming out, and had my first boyfriend. god i was naive about the whole thing back then. i used to be a bitter, cynnical person. i'm a little less judgemental of the idiot masses now, and have been with a great guy for the past year. i'm also happy to be nearly done with school. rock!

Doors
12-18-2004, 09:19 PM
2 years ago I wanted to commit suicide,right now I want to live a thousand years :D .

Mr. Graves
12-18-2004, 09:20 PM
I was an asian freak culture freak and I was taking an active interest in skydiving (still am interested in taking the plunge one day). I was new to EoFF, and I was a lot less mature than I once was. I had some emotional issues, mainly with holding grudges against people both off-line and off. I'm still like that to a select few people, but none of them are on-line people anymore, and I've grown up beyond the point where I hold grudges, so that's cool. I've grown up as a person, in a major way.

Back then, I was only 20, and I wasn't even driving. I was working at UPS under a greuling 5:00-10:00 AM work schedule, was completly unsure on where to go in life, and I had very little freedom to do what I want whenever I wanted, because of the obvious lack of a license. I was generally unhappy with life, society, and the way my life was, and I had no ambition to correct it. Posting at forums became my main hobby; even more so than playing video games, which is kind of ironic, since most of the forums I was posting at was based on video games in one form or another.

Now, I'm going to college full-time, I can drive myself wherever, I'm looking into going to California in May to see my brother and his new wife, making more money, and I'm actually getting along with my family better than I ever have. I really like person I am now as opposed to the one I was back then.

Rydia of Mist
12-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Two years ago, I was working, in a blossoming and lovely relationship, looking at attending school with a full scholarship, and enjoying an adventurous new life.

Now, I'm back in Vermont, but enjoying it very much. I'm not in a relationship, and though that is awkward, it's not all bad. I'm not working, but at the same time, I just got here and haven't had a chance to begin my job search. No school, but that will come in time.

Today, I'm building up again.

Venom65437
12-19-2004, 05:35 AM
2 years ago I was with a girl I totally loved, in college, finally 18, had no money worries, and was just a pretty happy person in general.

Now I'm single, still totally in love with her (she's also my best friend), I need a job, I'm glad it's break from school, and I'm overall a pretty sad person. Not depressed, but not happy...

Oh well, if I could go back 2 years ago and do things differently, I definitely would. Hell if I could go back 6 months ago and do things differently I would.

Calliope
12-19-2004, 06:59 AM
Two years ago I used less caps, ate more meat, and was generally less guarded and more outgoing.

Today I am more selective about the company I keep.

Fledge
12-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Yeah I hear you, Dingo. Two years ago I would have been spent hours perfecting my mid-rail on Q3's Longest Yard. But I've since gone off gaming too. I'm not sure what happened. Increasing industry derivation or just growing up?

Studies are pretty cool ever since I abandoned the sinking ship that was my Comp Sci degree. I'm now polishing off a Bachelor in Arts with majors in communications and cultural studies. Without a doubt this has changed my world view. I've acquired a taste for Foucault, the french postmodernist, international politics and media studies. Career is uncertain although an academic position would be nice.

Hmm, some of you may remember me as an annoying Christian fundamentalist :) That was two years ago when I was an EoFF regular. Delicious irony, I have since renounced my Christian faith and float somewhere between agnosticism and Taoism. The difficulty of living outside 'established' religion is that core principles (morality, divinity, purpose, etc.) are left to individual estimation. Even so, my thoughts are my own and that is enough. My life does lack direction but perhaps that is the challenge of it all.

Now have a job and driving license. Also a girlfriend and maybe I'm a little nicer because of it? :)

Respect to Unne and co. for keeping this place alive.