PDA

View Full Version : Say my name correctly, tool!

SomethingBig
12-18-2004, 07:14 PM
What stupid and/or ridiculous ways have you had your name pronounced and how have you reacted? Mine takes the cake.

Correct way to pronounce it: Ro-well
Stupid ways people have pronounced it: Rou-wull; Row-wull; Roll; Ra-wool; Roswell(How in the blazing Hell do you get Roswell out of Rowell?! :mad2: I've actually had a teacher write my name as Roswell...). This takes the cake: Roland. This one doesn't even deserve a comment. :rolleyes2

I usually swallow my pride, sigh in my head, and don't correct anyone when they say my name incorrectly.

m4tt
12-18-2004, 07:16 PM
My last name seems to be really hard to say.

It's Kolek, pronounced "Coh-leck". All the time I hear "Kah-lack" or "Coh-lack" or "Coh-lick". It's annoying.

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-18-2004, 07:22 PM
I get called Jeremy alot. I have no clue why. In what way does the 'iah' in Jeremiah form the 'y' sound? For Pete's sake.

Jojee
12-18-2004, 07:34 PM
Yuejiao.

I repeated it to Roogle over the phone like seven times and he STILL didn't even dare to attempt it. xD

Craig
12-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Name: Craig

Ways it's been pronounced: Crag, Creg, Greg, Graig.

Dking'squeen
12-18-2004, 07:55 PM
name: carmelita
pronunciation: car-ma-lee-ta
ways pronounced: carameleeta, carmaletta, carmella *how in the crimson hell does carmella come from carmelita?*, caramella *which is just bs*, even teachers get my name wrong which is also bs

SomethingBig
12-18-2004, 08:23 PM
Yuejiao
Yoo-jow? :confused: Is that the way it's pronounced? And what nationality?

Jelli, how do you pronounce your name? And Yazoo, I would love my teachers if they called me Caramella. :love:

Jojee
12-18-2004, 08:28 PM

Jelli, how do you pronounce your name? And Yazoo, I would love my teachers if they called me Caramella. :love:

Chinese. XD And no. People usually get jiao right, but no one can pronounce yue. i don't even know how to spell it out to pronounce in English. o_0

Edit: Ok. You-eh. Except really quickly so it's one syllable. And jiao is jiow. In a high monotone tone.

Phil
12-18-2004, 08:30 PM
Jacobson is my last name. Its really annoying when people spell it jacobsEn. Or when they pronounce it like weird and say my name jah-COB-sun. its JA-cob-son. Good gosh people!

Dking'squeen
12-18-2004, 08:39 PM

it's actually okay when my friends do it because they do it on purpose, but it's the wackos who say it Caramella to either be funny or because they're too stupid to know how to pronounce my name

I'm sure you would SB

louby_4eva
12-18-2004, 08:56 PM
My name is Louise Gallagher. pronounced lou ease <---like easy Gall a ger

I often get lou eece and I always get Gallaher, I mean there is a g GallaGher but ppl neva pronounce the G, dunno y, its usually teachers. It used to really annoy me but I dont bother too much about it anymore.

Doors
12-18-2004, 09:17 PM
Name:Kristian
correct way to pronounce:Krist-I-an
2nd correct way to pronounce KriST-jan
wrong ways:Krhaist-yan,Khreist-jan,Khrastian

Doesnt anger me a lot and I dont hear the wrong ways much because only the people outside from my country pronounce it wrongly, so I dont hear it often (:

SomethingBig
12-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Edit: Ok. You-eh.
I had that first! But then I thought, "Hm... Only the Japanese pronounce every vowel..." :rolleyes2

Denmark
12-18-2004, 09:30 PM
First name: I go by Rob.
Correct way: I think it's pretty obvious.
Mispronunciation: At least one person has called me Ralph, after I've said my name to them. :\

Last name: Tryson.
Correct way: Try-sun
Mispronunciations: Tyson, Tryon, Trysahn, Treason.

Rydia of Mist
12-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Hey hey. This is my kind of topic.

First Name: Mäjken
Correct Pronunciation: My-ken
What I've Heard: Madge-ken, May-ken, Ma-jik-en, Mek-in, Madge-kan, Mayj-ken, Madge-en (my k disappeared!), Mack-en, plus many many many others.

Don't even get me started on my last name, Gadouas... x_X

Agent Proto
12-18-2004, 10:57 PM
There's no problem with my name. ^_^ Maybe once in awhile they'll say jeff-er-ee instead of jeff or jeff-ree

Meat Puppet
12-18-2004, 11:29 PM
Le Ham.

Fuzakeru
12-18-2004, 11:36 PM
Lemme see. My frist name is Stephanie so there's no problem there. Stef-uh-knee

My middle name is Ann. If you can't pronounce than then have mercy on your soul.

My last name ( for now ) is Babb. This irks me.
Correct way - Buh-ab
Wrong ways - BABE, BabbS, Babbah ?!?!?!?!?!?!?? There's four letters and two of them are repeated. Get it right, kthnx.

escobert
12-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Robert Howe... Robert Hoe. God I hated Madam Zue

"Is Robert Hoe here? Robert Hoe?"
"It's Howe..."
"RIght Hoe."

Axamenta
12-19-2004, 12:32 AM
The problem with my name is it's Finnish and I'm Belgian, so people don't speak Finnish, they speak Dutch.

Name: Jarmo
Correct way to pronounce it: 'Iaar'-moh
Wrong way: 'Iarr'-mow

I have come to accept the wrong pronunciation, though. Only my parents manage to say it correctly.

kikimm
12-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Urgh.

First Name:Kristina
Not that hard to pronouce, no? But always, always, I get called Kristine, Kristy, Kristin, and other various forms of that. I should be used to it, I guess, but it bugs the crap out of me. Especially when people I know get it wrong. Ah, well.

I won't go into my last name. :mad:

:D

Logan
12-19-2004, 12:46 AM
Nobody has never mispronounced my name. Logan's pretty easy to say.

fire_of_avalon
12-19-2004, 01:22 AM
My name is Megan Powell.

Maygun Pow elle

Not Meegan Powers

Not Magon Powl

Not Jonesy BoB.

Meh-gan is ok too.

Denmark
12-19-2004, 01:56 AM
Nobody has never mispronounced my name. Logan's pretty easy to say.

but your middle name? :o not that many people say it out loud, but I was just curious if it's like "nole" or "no-ul" or "no-el" :o

Ryth
12-19-2004, 02:05 AM
I know people keep screwing my name up it isn't difficult it's Brennan not Brandon, Brendon, Brannan, Brannen, or Brejan (WTF?). IT"S BRENNAN DAMMIT!!!

Aurey
12-19-2004, 02:10 AM
My name's Aislinn. Despite the way it looks, it's pronounced ashleen. It's often pronounced ehslynn, asslynn and one time some person called me eileen. I've gotten used to people mispronouncing it, though. So, I never really see it as a big deal when people mispronounce it anymore.

My last name is pronounced right all the time, though. Because it's spelt the exact same way it's pronounced.

RSL
12-19-2004, 02:20 AM
I don't get too much problems. Most people can figure out Justin. Schuller isn't too hard. Shoe - Ler. The worst I can remember is my government teacher always said it to rhyme with duller.

I do have a problem with people thinking my name is Jason, though. That has happened to me at 3 different jobs. It's kind of annoying.

theundeadhero
12-19-2004, 02:30 AM
My last name is Johnston. JohnsTon, Almost everyone in the universe has said it as johnson at least once. What's so hard a bout a "t" people.

Jebus
12-19-2004, 02:34 AM
I don't even know how to pronounce my last name, but since its just a corruption of the name Calvert (my last name is Colvard), I just pronounce it COL-verd.

Daryl
12-19-2004, 03:30 AM
My last name gets mangled horribly on a day to day basis. It has a German spelling which seems prone to causing mispronunciations. Tsk.

Yamaneko
12-19-2004, 03:30 AM
Ivan = ee-vahn

Most people get it wrong.

Raistlin
12-19-2004, 03:35 AM
Ivan = ee-vahn

Most people get it wrong.
Really? I've been saying it wrong, then. xD

I've been thinking "eye-vin." That was my college counselor's name.

StarlightAngel
12-19-2004, 04:20 AM
No one misspronounces my name, but they always misspell my last name.

Correct spelling: MacKenzie

Others spell it as: Mackenzie, Mckenzie.

I remember my dad misspelled it on a video once. It was because he did the credits late at night. :D

Dking'squeen
12-19-2004, 04:22 AM
i don't think i've ever said a name wrong, what i hate is when people purposely say my name wrong and use it for something stupid like...."carmaletta you know betta than to come outside in that scarf slash sweata" i wasn't even wearing a scarf OR sweater, that's being stupid

Really? I've been saying it wrong, then. xD

I've been reading the names before i read how to prnounce them and got this and a few others wrong. :eek:

Maxico
12-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Last name: Van der Merwe.
How to pronounce: Van-dur-Merv-er
Stupid ways people have pronounced it: Van der Mer-wheee, Vun der mah-wer, Van der mer*mumble*, Max Van de... no just Max.

Pheesh
12-19-2004, 01:02 PM
My last name is italian. It bafile which is pronounced ba-feel-i. It has been pronounce ba-file, ba-fill and baffle

MoonsEcho
12-20-2004, 06:16 AM
Nobody ever pronounces my maiden name correctly unless they were born and raised in Louisiana.

My maiden name: Soileau
How to say it: swallow
What I've heard: You name it, I've heard it. Same goes for the rest of my cajun family. Guillot, Hebert, Ortego, Roudreaux...very few people ever pronounced them right.

Giga Guess
12-20-2004, 01:20 PM
Neither my first names seem to cause anyone any grief. But my stepdad's last name is awful for getting mangled.