PDA

View Full Version : yes ff8 is my fav of them all and yes i am new....

nugun
12-18-2004, 09:16 PM
the only reason most of u like 7 more is because u played that one first.....if u compare stories you'll clearly see why 8 is superior to 7,9,and 10....not to say those are bad games just that i think 8 has the best story

Lain
12-18-2004, 09:52 PM
FF8 have really good story indeed...but...this game is full of mysteries, secrets and nothing else so it's game just for once. FF7 isn't so mysterious but u can play over and over and evry time u play u get know smth more. I also liked ff7 music more than ff8. Besides that I didn't like grey menu. True, ff7 was my first FF but I like other finals even I was playing them after ff7 and ff8 I don't. So sorry but I have to disagree with u nugun

Wrong forum anyway. u should put it in 'genaral final fantasy'

BTW Is your nick from soad's song?....lol I love that song

Ryth
12-19-2004, 02:13 AM
Um why is there an FFVIII thread in the FFX thread? I personally dislike FFVIII because I hate the junction system, it made me so angry. I didn't even bother playing through the game the story did seem interesting I tried but the junctioning was so painful I'll get too it eventually but not for a while. Also the whole first thing doesn't apply to me I started with FFIX and played others as time went on and I liked FFVII best.

Lain
12-19-2004, 02:18 AM
I hate the junction system it made me so angry.
Oh true, I forgot about that

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-19-2004, 03:50 AM
How in the world did this end up in the FFX forum when the FFVIII forum is CLEARLY visible right before this one :confused:

Sorry if I'm stealing your line DJzen.

As far as the topic, FFVIII irritates me, and thus I haven't delved far into the storyline. FFVII has a good storyline, as does IX and X, but VI outstrips them all. Xenogears is better than any Final Fantasy, however.

Auronhart
12-19-2004, 04:20 AM
I tried but the junctioning was so painful I'll get too it eventually but not for a while
Try the no junction challenge then. :)
I hope you guys know that you can easily win FF8 without drawing.

Dking'squeen
12-19-2004, 04:28 AM
I hope you guys know that you can easily win FF8 without drawing.

I know i did

welcome nugun

i like VIII because that was the first one i played, i liked the weapons and GFs and.....well....that's about it. Squall was cool, Zell was cool, Angelo was cool...there was that. I thought that they talked too much, but if they didn't i'd never know what was going on. I like VII a lot *played it second* i think i liked it a little more than VIII, but i liked the GFs in 8 more than 7's summons *except the 3 bahamuts*

I like Xenosaga i think better than those two *probably because i've played it recently*

finalheaven
12-19-2004, 04:25 PM
what?!?1how CANu say 8 is better then 7?? 7 rule not because we played it first..but i think because it the one that had the most work on..'story wise and graphix wish..as SE moved from 2D to 3D. 7 has a better epic story ..but im not saying 8 is crap..it its just not as good as 7. 8 is more of a love story and the junction syteem is quite unique..almost as good as the materia system in 7. doomsday i agree with you totally. but the junction system..did any1 even bother with them...i just ended up using the auto junction after hlfway thru disk 1 beacuse it was annoyinggggg......^_^

Ryth
12-19-2004, 10:33 PM
[QUOTE=Doomsday]I never really liked VIII. There are way to many plot holes, and it never really lets you know what the hell is going on especially with the whole Rinoa = Ultimicia. I mean, I've heard of leaving the person in suspense, but eventually they tell the person what's going on. Here they don't They don't actually explain everything, and the closest thing we got is Big D's explanations, which even though are informative don't answer all the questions.

This means either a sequel or maybe Square screwed up (I'm leaning toward the latter).

Auronhart
12-19-2004, 11:22 PM
I personally don't mind when they leave some stuff unexplained, it allows me to form my own opinions. (or just listen to Big D's explaination :) )
FF8 trumps FF7 in basically every aspect.

DarknessFromAbove
12-19-2004, 11:30 PM
I was about 8 when we got FF7, and never played it untill I got this demo for FF8, so technically FF8 was the first FF I played. . . But I love 7 dearly. . . 8's my second fave(yay Squall!) :love:

Kamrusepas
12-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Can't help but still think that VIII is the greatest thing ever.
I love the story, the characters and the world. And I didn't find the junction system hard or annoying.

abrojtm
12-20-2004, 06:44 AM
FFVIII is my second least favorite in the series (unless you include CC). No, my first FF wasn't FFVII, it was FFI. FFVI is my favorite, and I pretty much like most of the rest of them pretty well.

Slade
12-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Ok, first up im going to say that it is impossible for there to be a best ff. They are completely different games, saying one is better than the other is like saying that Dumbo is better than the Matrix.....they are completely different so you cant campare. So theres no such thing as the 'best' ff, but of course you can have a fav ff.
Second thing, i agree in most (I SAID MOST) cases that the first ff a person played usually (I SAID USUALLY) ends up being your fav. For me, I played VIII first and I love it so much :love: i could graft it onto my skin for all eternity :eek: ..........errr....yeh ;) heheheh

finalheaven
12-23-2004, 06:38 PM
lol...gosh slade..trying hard not to be PC lo..ur a cudie...awwwwww

rubah
12-23-2004, 08:41 PM
I dunno about you guys, but I liked junctioning..

Maybe I have some weird obsessive-compulsive disorder, but being in charge of all your stats appeals to me (which is why I like ffx too I guess, because it's relatively easy to have utter control over those stats as well)

As for seven being better or worse than eight, I'm not all the way done (finishing the sidequests before heading to the crater currently) but at this point I don't like it better than eight. Materia is fun, but it just isn't as interesting as junctioning is *shrugs*

Really though, I had read all those reviews and there were always as many people that hated ff8 as loved it, so I figured I'd play it with an open mind (I was really expecting something more western, what with irvine and squall's outfits (especially irvine) and a mediocre AMV I saw. I figured junctioning would be way more confusing, so that was a relief. Really, I had this intricate system thought up that I thought it'd be like, that looked a lot more like the spheregrid, except sans spheres.)

But, to fit the original statement, I should like ff5 the best, as it was the first I ever played. It's good, but not the best:)

Xxiawakin
12-23-2004, 10:00 PM
what?!?1how CANu say 8 is better then 7?? 7 rule not because we played it first..but i think because it the one that had the most work on..'story wise and graphix wish..as SE moved from 2D to 3D. 7 has a better epic story ..but im not saying 8 is crap..it its just not as good as 7. 8 is more of a love story and the junction syteem is quite unique..almost as good as the materia system in 7. doomsday i agree with you totally. but the junction system..did any1 even bother with them...i just ended up using the auto junction after hlfway thru disk 1 beacuse it was annoyinggggg......^_^

There are so many things wrong with this post...and I'm not including Grammer or Spelling...

First: In HIS opinion, 8 is better, you cannot disprove that.

Second: The Story? I found VIII's to be far deeper than VII's...(7: Typical guy wants to destroy world for whatever reason. 8: Woman wants to bring ruin to the world, later revealed that she was a puppet of someone who wants to not destroy everything, but compress time, sort of moving it to another place.)

The Graphics in VII are better than VIII's? Are you stoned? VII's characters were blocks of one or two colors that formed a crushed person...

The Systems: Materia System is rather straight forward and boring, there's little to do with it, the Junction System had a vast array of things to be done with it...

And to answer your question; yes, I did use the Junction System, quite effectively, in fact.

I'm done.

Shoden
12-23-2004, 10:42 PM
well i preferred FF8 over all overs the junction system was great the materia system sucked bad, the summons sucked too except knights of round neo bahamut and bahamut zero. the graphics in 8 owned 7 but i say 8 had a crappy storyline compared to 7 s but the characters in 7 were rubbish except sephiroth cid and vincent the chars from 8 that i hated were quistis and kiros. i say 8 was my favourite but had a bad story 9 was an embarressment to all final fantasy games 10 was a rip off made for kids bah. but good news for you all they're remaking 7 8 and 9 on ps2. what do you mean ff7 had better music you deaf Liberi fatali owned one winged angel the soundtrack of 8 had a much higher rating and the limit break and battle system from 8 was the best Renzokuken and Lionhart owned omnislash 100% omnislash was only max 12 Renzokuken + lion heart was maximum 23 dealing up to 9999 damage. 7 and 8 had differences but 7 was better than 8 in some ways and 8 was better than 7 in others i hear final fantasy 12 is supposed to be better but those are rumours

Necronopticous
12-23-2004, 10:46 PM
VIII is your favorite, eh? I like you already. You'll be the first and probably the last to receive two newbie cookies from me at once.

:cookie::cookie:

UltimateSpamGrover
12-23-2004, 10:49 PM
Why did I hate VIII? Junctioning system

Shoden
12-23-2004, 11:01 PM
well i say people shouldnt argue as Each final fantasy game is better than others in it's own way

rubah
12-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Aww, but arguing is fun.

Shoden
12-23-2004, 11:18 PM
no fighting is even funner you get to see a broken nose black eye in making its fun

Sephirothvsvader22
12-23-2004, 11:35 PM
the only reason most of u like 7 more is because u played that one first.....if u compare stories you'll clearly see why 8 is superior to 7,9,and 10....not to say those are bad games just that i think 8 has the best story

Actually I played VIII first, but I like VII better. I played IX first and it's one of my least favorites. I was touched by VIII's story, but was not as awed as I was by VII (I like all that conspiracy stuff like the Da Vinci Code).

Shoden
12-23-2004, 11:45 PM
8 only needed a good story the characters and setting was great but they shudda put diamond emerald and ruby weapons into the game and more hidden areas i never managed to complete 7 my game was laggy and when i played it it was about 4 years ago so i wasnt a good gamer then i didnt understand it so i quit after i was released from the chocobo racing place the gold saucer i think

rubah
12-24-2004, 03:36 AM
bleh, I'm a ninny though, so broken noses != good.

Maybe more people would've liked ff8 better if it didn't have [that arrangement of] blue fields for background music..

I got *so* sick of that song, whereas I liked both of the overworld themes in ff7 (although the first was awful thematic.) However, I try not to judge based on background music;) (sometimes)

Shoden
12-24-2004, 09:19 AM
i played 7 first i liked it but i never understood it as i was about 10 and my disc started lagging so is topped on it the music on 7 is all tiring except one winged angel which is good but the ff8 soundtrack owned 7s 2B to 0.000000001

RinoaLuver15
12-24-2004, 04:03 PM
FF VIII was a love story. There was like barely any romance or anything close to it in FF VII. I mean yeah there was Tifa and Aerith but nothing really happens with that. The one way that FF VII beat FF VIII is that I'm sure that everyone cared when Aerith died. Either you fully leveled her up (like me) and got pissed because you wasted your time or you liked her as a character. FF VIII didn't have as touching of a moment. I think because it's a love story it would appeal to more female players. :love:

Shoden
12-24-2004, 05:43 PM
i agree but some of the characters and the setting werent very good in 7 Selphie Irvine Squall and Seifer are good examples as replacements i think

UltimateSpamGrover
12-24-2004, 08:19 PM
if FFVIII had MP instead of that crappy Junctioning/Drawing system, I might actually like that better than FFVII

rubah
12-24-2004, 09:26 PM
what's so great about mp?

All it ever did was discourage me from using magic and focusing on physcial fighters. I'd rather have a mage smack around for low dmg than have to waste mp, and then ethers just to do a spell.

Whereas, in FF8, magic has no restrictions:D Even if you have it junctioned, it takes several casts to bring your stats down any. Plus, some monsters have it conviently embedded spells that can be effectively used against them (i.e. malboros and demi:D excellent for devouring. Use a couple of limits to get the majority of their 147k hp down, then demi it down until it's edible. and voila, spr+1:D)

using magic instead of items for healing is also pushed in ff8, because heck, by disc three, you start to run out of room for curaga and you're happy to use them up so you can draw more.

the only real annoying point is waiting in battle while the galbadian soldiers are going nuts against you in timber (or wherever else) while you steal their cure and elemental spells early on:D

Rostum
12-24-2004, 10:29 PM
That junctioning system was easier than a mana pool system. Sure the MP way is more fun, but the junctioning system is torelable enough to play through the game.

Whoever said they didn't play through the whole game must really lack any skill in an RPG. Junction was the easiest and was tolerable.

SadisticStreetSoldie
12-25-2004, 10:32 PM
I thought that junctioning was the most boring thing in the whole entire world especially with Selphie it took so damn long for three characters to fully stock something simple like Fire and the most that Selphie could stock was 3! :mad2:. My favourite magic system was the materia system it was so simple and even the biggest klutz (I.E. me) could use it properly

Slade
12-26-2004, 04:40 AM
what's so great about mp?

Nothing. Its been overkilled and i think they need more games without it.

Auronhart
12-26-2004, 07:29 AM
I thought that junctioning was the most boring thing in the whole entire world especially with Selphie it took so damn long for three characters to fully stock something simple like Fire
You need a higher magic stat to draw more easily. However, the game can still be extremely easy without drawing any magic. A lot of people seem to not know this, and get frustrated.

Nothing. Its been overkilled and i think they need more games without it.
Exactly, I like the innovative junction system. (I tend to like different battle systems)

JayDee
12-26-2004, 01:11 PM
The games before it are all better (4,5,6,7 dont know about 1,2,3)
but 8's better than all the games after it (10,10-2,11, and most likely 12)
I think that the majority of people's first games are their favs
which is why 7's so popular

7's story is superior to all

SorceressMemorial
12-26-2004, 03:32 PM
I think FF VIII is the best FF ever. And the best game ever. Followed closely by FF VII. The lack of MP doesn`t make the game bader, in fact; I liked junctioning better than MP. The story is great, and the battles are awesome.
IRMC.

finalheaven
12-28-2004, 11:00 PM
i like 8 ..but to me it comes second to 7.... yeah 8 had a more unique style as in battle wise and the love story was pretty good.(tho i like the love story in X more)but to be honest the junctioning...it was a good idea..but afte hte start of the 2n disc..i couldnt be bothere any more..so i just used auto junction ..i guess sucking all the magic out as opposed to leveling up as a drawback...any way 8 is good..just not as good as 7

LastCetra
12-28-2004, 11:23 PM
I will agree that junctioning was the worst thing that ever happened to final fantasy. It was annoying and clumsy and we knew and they knew it didn't work otherwise they wouldn't have changed it for IX. Final Fantasy VII dug deeper into characters than ever before and Sephiroth is the greatest villian ever! Watching his desent into madness was my favourite part of the game. Then he killed Aeris...... goddammit.

nugun
12-29-2004, 04:10 AM
wow....i leave for a while and i get 30+ replys.........in my opion the story in 8 was alot deeper then in 7...and the whole thing about aeris dying really wasn't all that heart breaking as many people made it seem

SorceressMemorial
12-29-2004, 05:15 AM
FF VII was a great game, and it still is, no doubt. Actually it`s as close as you`ll get to perfection, with the exception of FF VIII.

MP; I don`t realize why you guys miss it so much. Almost every RPG contains a MP part. So who is better than Squaresoft to take us to the next level of greatness.

Draw; Dull, your forth time around. But it was so much fun gaining better stats that you gained the times before.

Junction; work of art. Argue if you want, but it`s a masterpiece.

Story; "I don`t care" "Whatever".... Someone who didn`t care about anything nor anyone, got the one thing who was missing in his life, love. He experienced friendship, closeness and sacriface. Bad story?? Nooooooooooo!!!!

FF VIII is the best game I`ve ever played. And FF VII is the second best game I`ve played. My first Final Fanatasy experience was FF IV.