PDA

View Full Version : final attack materia

figurehead
12-19-2004, 08:36 AM
hi, where/how do i get a final attack materia? i know it has something to do with fighting 'dio's special battle' , but what is that referring to exactly? when you fight for the keystone you don't get it, so i'm not sure.. can someone help? :confused:

Sepho
12-19-2004, 09:11 AM
Actually, it doesn't have anything to do with the Keystone event.

You likely won't be able to get it until Disk 3. In fact, I don't think it's available until Disk 3, but I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on that. Anyhow, here are the step-by-step instructions for getting the Final Attack materia:

You'll be fighting in the Battle Arena at Gold Saucer. A lot. You'll need to fight continuously until you have enough Battle Points (BP) to exchange for both the Omnislash limit manual and the W-Summon materia (you'll want both anyway). Note that when you leave the Battle Arena your BP is reduced to zero, so you'll need to have enough GP to be able to fight numerous battles without having to exit the Battle Arena to obtain more, so that you can amass enough BP at one time to purchase the above items. The Omnislash and W-Summon items cost 32,000 and 64,000 BP, respectively. BP can be obtained by playing the games in the Wonder Square, but the fastest and most cost-effective way to obtain it is by racing captured chocobos in the Chocobo Square. If you opt to engage in the chocobo breeding contest, and race all of your captured chocobos in S class (this all comes later, so don't worry if you don't know what I'm talking about) up until the point that you have a gold chocobo, you should have plenty of GP. An alternate means of gaining GP is to continously enter and exit the Gold Saucer (make sure you have the gold pass), until you see a person standing near the save point. This person will give you GP in exchange for Gil (up to 100 GP per exchange - I may be mistaken on that number). This may be a choice to look at depending on your progress on the chocobo breeding side quest at the time you decide to undertake this task.

As you already know, you have to deal with the slots at the end of each round in a series of fights at the Battle Arena. There's a trick to slow them down by rapidly tapping the [Square] button, which allows you to more easily select a favorable handicap. This gives you the freedom to make your fights easier. I have to point out, however, that a higher handicap results in more BP gained. Some rounds where all of your materia has been individually broken can earn you 11,000 - 12,000 BP if you're victorious, and this can obviously make your quest much shorter. The choice is yours.

Once you have gained the required BP and exchanged it for both of the mentioned items, talk to the person at the desk once again. This person tells you that you're invited to a special round of fighting for a reason that I can't remember off the top of my head (for demonstrating superb fighting skills, or something or other?). If you survive all 8 fights of this special round, you'll receive the Final Attack materia as your reward. It's not too difficult in relation to all the fighting you had to go through to get to this point. You fight a certain boss from the end of the second disk (which is my reasoning for thinking that Disk 3 is a requirement) in the eighth round, but that may be the only challenge you encounter. In closing, you can't obtain multiple numbers of the materia by completing the special round over and over again. After the first win, any subsequent victories will earn you a novelty (read: useless) prize, like a masamune replica. The only way to get multiple Final Attack materia is to gain enough AP to master it, in which case a new one will be born.

figurehead
12-19-2004, 09:26 AM
thanks for all your info.

I'm on the 3rd disc, and I've bred the gold chocobo--raced it up to s-class--etc, so i have gotten about 1000 gp from that. So basically i guess i just have to keep fighting in the battle arena and follow those steps you mentioned.

I also had another question-- i'm afraid i missed out on the w-item materia, because i didn't get it in disc 2 in underground midgar before i fought Hojo. Is there any way to get back to that area in disc 3 to get the w-item materia? or am i screwed?

thx again

Sepho
12-19-2004, 09:35 AM
You can't go back to Midgar, but there is another way to get the W-Item materia - go to Bone Village and dig. If you start searching on Disk 3, it should be one of the first items you turn up.

Raistlin
12-19-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm just pointing out that for the Special Battle, you have to use Cloud, and I think you also have to have Ultima Weapon equipped.

figurehead
12-19-2004, 08:59 PM
thanks you guys. I will try bone village for the materia and also the settings you mentioned for cloud Raistlin.

On a side note, have any of you seen the FF7 strategy guide by Brady Games? What a piece of crap... so many inaccuracies and things left out. In that book it says that you get the final attack materia as a prize for winning chocobo races...

Sepho
12-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I have the Brady guides for FF7, 8, 9, and Origins. I used to have it for Chronicles, too, because I used to run an FF site and used the raw data (Equipment lists, etc.) found in them.

The one for FF7 isn't as bad as the one for FF9, however. The content consists primarily of "Well, instead of telling you what to do, which is what this guide is supposed to be for, we're just going to tell you to go to PlayOnline.com everytime you come to a part that you can't figure out on your own". It defeats the idea of a strategy guide.

Originally posted by Raistlin
'm just pointing out that for the Special Battle, you have to use Cloud, and I think you also have to have Ultima Weapon equipped.

I never knew that :confused: .

figurehead
12-20-2004, 01:24 AM
I've just gained enough BP to get the omnislash and w-summon, bought them, but now when i go to the desk i still get the same message as before: "register for battle?..." I wonder if there is a certain amount of times i need to fight regardless? Also, can you leave the battle arena after you've bought the 2 items and then return to fight the special battle, or do you have to do everything in one visit ? thanks. btw that sounds lame about the FF9 guide..

Sepho
12-20-2004, 01:33 AM
Once you have the two items, you can leave at will. The only reason you have to stay in the first place is so you don't lose all your BP when you leave. Try leaving, and re-entering.

Otherwise, is the Ultima Weapon equipped?

figurehead
12-20-2004, 01:57 AM
i tried leaving/re-entering with no luck. ultima weapon has been equipped the whole time..

maybe i need to have w-summon equipped and teach Cloud omnislash before i can fight the special battle? i have w-summon equipped, but i can't teach cloud omnislash because of the infamous 'limit glitch' in the game...

EDIT: Don't double post. -Murder

Raistlin
12-20-2004, 03:13 AM
thanks you guys. I will try bone village for the materia and also the settings you mentioned for cloud Raistlin.

On a side note, have any of you seen the FF7 strategy guide by Brady Games? What a piece of crap... so many inaccuracies and things left out. In that book it says that you get the final attack materia as a prize for winning chocobo races...
The guide mixed up Final Attack and Sneak Attack, I believe.

Sepho
12-20-2004, 09:37 PM
maybe i need to have w-summon equipped and teach Cloud omnislash before i can fight the special battle? i have w-summon equipped, but i can't teach cloud omnislash because of the infamous 'limit glitch' in the game...

That'd be my best guess. I've personally never experienced this problem, so I can only speculate.

figurehead
12-20-2004, 10:06 PM
I even got an additional 65000 BP and still no luck. I tried buying omnislash and w-summon again but it says 'we are out of this prize currently.' I'm about to throw this #%$@ game out the window! The only thing i can think of is that maybe there's something i need to do in the game first before i can get the materia, like fight ruby or emerald weapon (though you almost need the final attack materia to fight them), but i'm at the final part of the game where you go inside the crater, so i don't know... does anyone know what to do ? thanks

Raistlin
12-20-2004, 11:04 PM
Requirements for Special Battle(I think):

1. Be on Disc 3
2. Have bought both W-Summon and Omnislash
3. Taught Cloud Omnislash
4. Have defeated Ultimate Weapon
5. Have Ultima Weapon equipped on Cloud
6. Get 65,000 BP again(I think)

I think that's it.

figurehead
12-20-2004, 11:24 PM
thanks raistlin. the only thing i cannot do is teach cloud omnislash, because of that unforgivable 'limit break glitch' in the american game. Has anyone ever gotten the final attack materia with the limit glitch?

Sepho
12-20-2004, 11:28 PM
I'm absolutely positive you don't need any amount of BP before engaging in the Special Battle. Otherwise, the rest of those requirements sound legit, though I seem to recall not filling several a few of them and still being able to fight in the Special Battle. I'm honestly flabbergasted right now. I've never heard of anyone having trouble with this.

I'll look into it, but from personal experience, I don't have any further advice at this time. I hope you figure it out.

figurehead
12-20-2004, 11:32 PM
thanks for all your help

Sepho
12-20-2004, 11:36 PM
The fact that Cloud doesn't know Omnislash is likely your problem.

Explain this Limit Break glitch to me? Is it the one where you learn the first limit of the next level instead of the second limit of the current level?

figurehead
12-20-2004, 11:50 PM
the Limit Break glitch i'm referring to is the one where the game doesn't let you use limit break manuals on your characters. For instance, when i try to teach cloud omnislash, he says 'nope, i don't get it,' or something to that effect. you can only get the first 3 levels of limit breaks for all your characters.

The glitch is supposedly only in the american game, and it doesn't always happen. You can get around it by resetting your game accordingly, but it's a pain in the arse to restart the quest after you get so far as finding your first limit manuals. I found out about the glitch in the K.M. walkthrough/FAQ on this site.

Sepho
12-20-2004, 11:58 PM
I apologize if I'm asking a silly question - so, your characters all have only Level 1 limits? They can't naturally learn them up to Level 3?

figurehead
12-21-2004, 12:00 AM
sorry, i meant to say the first 3 levels of limit breaks.

Raistlin
12-21-2004, 12:03 AM
I'm absolutely positive you don't need any amount of BP before engaging in the Special Battle.
I don't think so, either. But I was just adding other requirements that I'd read earlier in the thread that sounded possible since he was having trouble with the only ones I knew(Omnislash, W-Summon, Ultima Weapon).

Oh, and I've never experienced this limit glitch, so I don't know if there's a way around it.

figurehead
12-21-2004, 02:11 AM
for a second i had a glimpse of hope, because i realized you couldn't learn omnislash unless you've naturally gained all the limits up to level three (cloud is still stuck at level 1 cross-slash). So i thought maybe i didn't have the glitch after all. Then i killed 120 consecutive enemies with cloud to try to get the level 2 blade beam limit break, but i never gained it. So i do have the glitch, and the glitch also entails that you can't learn any new limits after level one.

Sepho
12-21-2004, 02:27 AM
Ouch. Sorry we couldn't help you any further, and about the situation you're in. I wouldn't want to start over after going through all that... ah, hell, who'm I kiddin'? I'd start over in an instant.

figurehead
12-21-2004, 03:33 AM
haha, that's the spirit!

I guess i'll just have to get through the game without the final attack materia and limit breaks. It has been done before...

kingmonkeyman
09-05-2005, 06:58 AM
Hi, this isn't related to Final Attack but, my party is Cloud(63), Vincent(62) and Cid(61) and I'm fighting Sephiorth. I can get to his last form and he kills me. I have Kotr but only at lvl 1, and I'm too lazy to level it for another 46000 Ap. Any tips on beating him? I've dealt him around 150k damage total in 1 go before, Kotr, BahaZERO, Neo, Baha, Phoenix, F2, I2, B2, Q2, Bi2, Haste>, Shadow Flare ES, Aqualung ES, Magic Breath ES, etc. He just won't die!!