PDA

View Full Version : Are online forums the oft sought after Utopia?

theundeadhero
12-19-2004, 08:11 PM
Think about that question a minute. Here at the forums theirs almost no discrimination. Your viewed equally without regards to race, gender, or ethnic origin. We have a heirarchy government that works very well. We have a leader at the very top (Cid), politicians (Administrators), then the fun police (Moderators), and at the bottom the regular posters. Cid pretty much watches over everything and makes sure it goes smoothly. The politicians (Admins.) take care of the problems. If something is wrong we can write them and they fix it. The fun police (Mods) enforce the rules on the occasion that someone breaks them but that doesn't happen very often. Everyone seems to pretty much abide by the rules. The regular posters are us. Everyone here contributes to our society in their own way showing through their individual personalities. We all add something to the mix. Neat, huh?

omnitarian
12-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Real utopias wouldn't have n00bs.

Shlup
12-19-2004, 08:34 PM
I discriminate against people with moogle avatars.

theundeadhero
12-19-2004, 08:46 PM
I spell stupid, can someone fix the title?

Jojee
12-19-2004, 08:51 PM
Nah, far from it :tongue: EoFF isn't perfect.

krissy
12-19-2004, 08:55 PM
in definition, utopia doesnt even have a leader or anything like that i think.
could be wrong.

also

Cid pretty much watches over everything and makes sure it goes smoothly.

lol

Yamaneko
12-19-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks! I usually pick up the other knights' slack. :cool:

Maxico
12-19-2004, 09:03 PM
A real utopia wouldn't need police because there wouldnt be crimes.

Shlup
12-19-2004, 09:23 PM
A real utopia wouldn't need police because there wouldnt be crimes.
I disagree. But I'm also hungry so bye.

Denmark
12-19-2004, 09:27 PM
depends on your opinion of what a utopia would be.

personally, I don't think EoFF is a utopia. It's nice, but 'tain't no utopia.

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-19-2004, 09:46 PM
Utopias aren't boring and filled with pointless threads. :mad2:

Shlup
12-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Utopias are boring and filled with pointless threads. :mad2:
You just saved me like almost a full minute of typing.

Cz
12-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Utopias are boring anyhow. There's no videogames in Heaven, y'know.

Calliope
12-19-2004, 10:34 PM
I discriminate freely against people who post stupid things, people I disagree with strongly, and those whose spelling and/or grammar offend me.

The staff, or your 'just government', have disagreed amongst themselves many times, resulting in spats, resignations, and 'breaks' from eoff.

Everyone seems to pretty much abide by the rules, because if they don't, they get banned from this 'utopia'.

If we were really viewed equally, there would be no flaming, no disagreements, and Yoshimi would not battle us pink robots.

theundeadhero
12-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Your taking Utopia in the literal sense. Be loose with it and you'll see this place is at least closer than a lot of other places.

Thanks! I usually pick up the other knights' slack.Cid's Knights are like politicians. They get in the way. /joking

Psychotic
12-20-2004, 12:17 AM
If you rename the "Police" to the "Fun Police" I will love you forever.

theundeadhero
12-20-2004, 12:20 AM
You owe me lots of lovin!

Mr. Graves
12-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Instead of being judged on appearances, you are judged on what you say and how you type. :)

Utopia, nah.

bennator
12-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Once you encouter your first piece of internet drama, you'll realize that the internet is no better than the real world.

Yamaneko
12-20-2004, 05:46 AM
It's easier not to care on the Internet, though.

The Captain
12-20-2004, 07:49 AM
I think, to a degree, we all still will judge each other, as Mr. Graves said, this time more with our words than our appearances. Though, I wonder if perhaps this is a better assessment of oneself since words are harder to form biases against when compared to looks.

EoFF is a great community, filled with many wonderful people who do indeed contribute in their own unique and profound way, but I think utopias are outside of the realm of possibility when you really can't get to know someone personally, but merely as an online image.

Take care all.

lordblazer
12-20-2004, 09:58 AM
Utopias are boring anyhow. There's no videogames in Heaven, y'know.
you sure about that?lol.

Anyway im pretty much new here and i can say it ain't perfect but you guys really aren't demanding of how a person types.Like complaining how a poster doesnt but spaces after his periods yeah small stuff like that.Then they pretend not to understand what you typed.Anyway compared to the many other forums i've been to this is th ebest but it isnt a utopia.Though there was one forum that was a true utopia man i loved it i enjoyed mysdelf there. it was called finalfantasycity.Also known as City Of Final Fantasy or coFF

Angel Rinoa
12-20-2004, 01:31 PM
I don't think so. It's just for people around the world to communicate and meet new people.

Del Murder
12-21-2004, 01:46 AM
It's close enough. The best thing about this society is that it's a lot easier to banish someone or correct something if it is wrong. So it has that going for it.

You're in good hands.

Yamaneko
12-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Del, it's Morals' Police, not Morals Police.

Meow
12-21-2004, 03:13 AM
EoFF is more of a benevolent oligarchy.

If we comprised some sort of hive mind, these things would be so much easier.

Del Murder
12-21-2004, 03:52 AM
I will not tolerate punctuation in my custom rank.

Meow
12-21-2004, 05:34 AM
Questionable orthography makes me woozy.

They've had to concede a few things since the time of Chaucer, you know.

-N-
12-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Your taking Utopia in the literal sense. Be loose with it and you'll see this place is at least closer than a lot of other places.
Let's also take "place", "closer", "least", and "loose" in a looser sense as well. Then we'll see... oh wait, that's right. Nothing.

Cid's Knights are like politicians. They get in the way. /joking
OH NOES TEH SHINRA!!!1111oneone

Jack
12-21-2004, 12:38 PM
How about we just enjoy what we've got and not wonder? The whole concept of Utopia is flawed anyway, with the definition "perfect" being impossible in a opiniated sense. I enjoy EoFF because it's a well organised forum with nice people. But a type of Utopia? Hmmm...