PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports massive deal with the NFL

darkchrono
12-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Any of you who play sports games may have already heard about this.

EA sports and Sega have been in a real battle for the last several years with each other for sports titles. EA sports is the maker of the famous Madden series. And sega is the creator of ESPN 2k5 (previously known as NFL 2k series.

Both games have been very good (especially the 2k series which was starting to pull fans away from Madden). So just recently EA made this bombshell deal with the NFL (paying loads of money, not sure how much but it was alot) getting all the licenses from the NFL for the next five years. What this means is that for the next five years only EA sports will be allowed to use the names of the players, names of the teams, actual stadiums etc. etc. etc. etc. If sega wants to come out with another NFL game they will have to create a completely fictional league.

This will be a very devasating blow to sega sports as NFL titles are probably the most popular products they punch out.

And I am disapointed because I think the 2k games were better than the Madden games. And I am sure EA did this because they did not want to have to start creating much better games in order to compete with the 2k series.

escobert
12-20-2004, 02:39 AM
God I hate madden games. I really didn't liek EA before this now they just.. really suck. That's a low blow.

RSL
12-20-2004, 03:36 AM
This is being discussed about 10 threads down.

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53597