PDA

View Full Version : Computer... so slow!

Jojee
12-20-2004, 03:50 AM
So I reinstalled Windows XP, hoping to clear my whole computer so that there would be no more parasites and popups and crap. Well it worked, kinda... =P

But now my computer is running sooo slow.... When I try to type things in the address bar, or when I try to move windows around, when I try to scroll down anything, or when I try to start something... it takes so long. >_> Temp internet files and temp files and everything are deleted. I cleared out all the space I could in my C drive and I've only used a couple GB (still have 30-some) so gah. What is wrong? It wasn't like this before I reinstalled XP. *shoots it in the face* *takes forever scrolling down to the submit new thread thing* xD

Dr Unne
12-20-2004, 04:05 AM
How did you reinstall? Did you format your hard drive? Did you start from scratch?

Also note that a newly-installed version of Windows XP, if connected to the internet without being patched first, will contract a virus in an average of four minutes, according to one article I read. I hope you have an external firewall, or a very new Windows CD, or a backed up offline copy of Windows patches.

Yamaneko
12-20-2004, 04:09 AM
Install new video drivers? MS video drivers are crap.

Jojee
12-20-2004, 04:21 AM
Yams - how?

Unne - o_0 @ the virus thing. Umm... I'll look to that, I think... As for installing... xD I just put the disc in and followed it through? I installed over my old version of XP so it replaced it....

RSL
12-20-2004, 04:22 AM
Jojo, you might want to consider a hard drive format. You'd have to back up a lot of stuff and reinstall everything, but it's the best way to go.

Jojee
12-20-2004, 04:24 AM
>___o how?

Yamaneko
12-20-2004, 04:24 AM
What video card do you have? Check by right-clicking on your desktop > Properties > Settings. It should tell you somewhere there what video card you have.

ATI drivers = http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html
Nvidia = http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

EDIT: Oh, I thought you did reformat. I read reinstall out of context. Yeah, reformat.

Jojee
12-20-2004, 04:29 AM
It doesn't say anything there, Sweet Potatoes :p

*falls over in confusion*

Thanks for helping, guys <3

RSL
12-20-2004, 04:30 AM
1. Back up everything.
2. Make a Windows ME bootdisk.
3. Start your computer with the boot disk in the drive.
4. type format c: (or whatever drive letter is appropriate).
5. Your hard drive should now be erased.
(optional step here: run fdisk from the bootdisk to partion your hard drive. Or just leave it as it is.)
6. Get into your BIOS and set it up to boot from a CD.
7. Enter your windows CD and restart the computer.
8. Follow the directions.
9. Once Windows in installed, install all your drivers and such.
10. Install everything else.

I recomment unplugging your computer from the internet while your doing all this. Get the windows updates asap.

EDIT: Of course, any and all advice from Unne or others that contradicts or improves upon this should be followed before listening to me. I have done this twice in the last two weeks, though.

Jojee
12-20-2004, 04:35 AM
I feel like such a n00b :p

1. Back up everything.
By everything, you mean...? XD I have everything that's important to me on a CD. Do you mean drivers and stuff? o_0 Cos' I have no clue how.

2. Make a Windows ME bootdisk.
3. Start your computer with the boot disk in the drive.
4. type format c: (or whatever drive letter is appropriate).
6. Get into your BIOS and set it up to boot from a CD.
....XD Elaborate please! *looks in confusion* PS I use windows XP.

9. Once Windows in installed, install all your drivers and such.
10. Install everything else.
Install drivers... .... how? o_0 Everything else = what?

RSL
12-20-2004, 04:37 AM
Everything means anything you want to save. You will lose everything on the computer. MP3s, movies, programs, love letters, anything and everything.

My computer came with a CD that has all the drivers on it. Of course, I bought it from Dell. I guess I don't know your situation in that regard.

EDIT: Go <a href="http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm">here</a> to make a bootdisk. You'll need it. Click on Windows ME and download the file to your computer. Click on it and follow the directions. You will need a formatted floppy disk for this. PS. it doesn't matter if you use WinXP.

Jojee
12-20-2004, 04:44 AM
Okay. o_0 bootdisc stuff still confuses me, but I'll ponder about it later... I'd need to go home first and get my driver CDs (if I can find them...!) first so that I can install drivers... o_< And that won't be til another week or two.

Dammit, now I ran out of things to procrastinate from studying calc about :p *dies* (Might as well be good, cos' computer would distract me so much anyway but now it's like GAH stfu cos' it's so slow XD)

Edit: ohok. XD And PS thanks~

RSL
12-20-2004, 04:48 AM
I'm not very good at explaining stuff. I wouldn't make a very good teacher. But yeah, I'd study up on how to do it before taking the plunge. It is fairly complicated.

Dr Unne
12-20-2004, 05:03 AM
Do not back up programs. Programs can/will contain viruses and spyware and won't work right if you try to restore them later anyways, because the Registry entries will be missing. Back up only data. MP3s, movies, text files, documents, emails, video game savegame files, etc. Burn all those files onto CDs or otherwise back them up.

Get Windows patches. I don't know which ones you need. If you just download the Windows XP SP1 (Service Pack 1) you should be fairly OK. Burn it onto a CD. You can download it from the Windows Update site somewhere probably.

Physically remove any cables from your computer which involve the internet. This would be an ethernet cable or phone line. Then put in the Windows XP CD and boot your computer from the CD. If your computer is unable to boot from the CD, check your BIOS. If you can't/don't know how, then you can make a boot disk like RSL said.

If the setup program gives you an option to "repair" Windows, tell it no. If it says you can install it right onto your existing partitions, say no. If it offers to install itself alongside your existing Windows installations, tell it no. You need to delete all your hard drive partitions and create new ones (or just one new one that takes up the whole drive probably). Windows tries to make this easy, and I don't remember what it says exactly, so just play with it. You may get an option for NTFS or FAT32. You may get an option for "quick" format. It doesn't matter much what you pick, so long as you format, and Windows says something like "OH DEAR SWEET GOD ARE YOU SURE?!??!1?!/1?!1?!" and you say yes and you see a big bar fill up as your hard drive is slowly erased.

Then procede to install Windows. Once it's done installing, install the Service Pack, to somewhat protect you from instant automatic virus download. Then and only then, plug your computer into the internet. Then you will have to reinstall all your programs from scratch. You should use CDs for this. Or download installer executable files from the internet from scratch. You will have to install all your hardware. You will use CDS for this, or (recommended) download drivers from the internet.

Then you should be good for another 5 or 6 months.

RSL
12-20-2004, 05:15 AM
Ah, I didn't really mean to say programs. I never backed them up. Really no good way to do that anyway.

Hmmm, I always formatted and then put the windows cd in, not formatted from the windows cd if that makes sense.

But yeah. Like I said, listen to Unne before you listen to me.

Jojee
12-20-2004, 05:32 AM
Unnie - thanks, I'll try that. I tried to create a new partition last time too though, and for some reason it wouldn't let me o_0 It wouldn't let me delete the old one either, and kept saying something to the effect that there were still vital files in there that Windows needed in order to reinstall or whatever, so I just installed over the old partition. I'll look into that though, thanks!