PDA

View Full Version : Worker 8

Jukri
12-21-2004, 02:18 AM
I'm right at the part where you get worker 8. I heard of him somewhere, but I don't know how to get'm. :cry: :cry: So could anyone here tell me how to get'm? I'm pretty sure SOMEONE can help me...I hope.

P.S. Could you tell me if he's even worth getting, if he is PLEASE tell me!

Despotus
12-21-2004, 05:09 AM
Yes, you definitely should get Worker 8, although you might consider getting rid of him after a while. You have to keep him long enough to get through the scene at Nelveska Temple. I am not sure exactly how far into this chain of events you are, so I'll start at the beginning.

1. Zeltennia Castle bar: listen to rumor about Cursed Island. That'll show you where Nelveska Temple is, but you can't go there yet.
2. Zarghidas Trade City: buy a flower from the flower girl.
3. Goug Machine City: Mustadio's father has discovered a large steel object.
4. Goland Coal City bar: listen to rumor about Ghost of Colliery.
5. Lesalia Imperial Capital: talk to Beowulf and help him on his quest for the Holy Grail... I mean Holy Dragon :D
6. Goland Coal City: fight battles in the Underground of Colliery, recruit the Holy Dragon.
7. Goug Machine City: the Zodiac stone will turn the mysterious steel ball into Worker 8.
8. Nelveska Temple: Here's where Worker 8 comes in real handy... or you can use the Holy Dragon for this trick instead. Move one of the gigantic party members next to each of the 2 pillars where the Hyudras were perched. Climb on top of the pillars with a 'Treasure Hunter/Searcher'. This 'searcher' must have: Move-find-item, Jump of at least 4, and a very low brave (10-20 is best). You will find a super Javelin and super Escutcheon in the pillars. These are some of the best items in the game. Check your item list after the battle and make sure you got the right ones. If not, reset and try again!!!

After this tough battle it is your choice whether or not to keep Worker 8. I personally don't use him much, but he is a unique character and kind of funny looking :cool: . Now go get Cloud!!!! :chop:

Off topic: Congratulations on beating Velius!!! :evilking:

UltimaLimit
12-21-2004, 11:20 PM
Keep Worker 8, he's alarmingly strong. I was fighting a Sacred, it hit Worker 8 for maybe 200 with the pickaxe and Worker 8 counter-punched him for about 900. Ouch. He's slow, but he's slow like a tank--able to take and dish out a LOT of damage. Also like a tank, he can attack long-range with Dispose. (Which, alas, is what he'll spend most of his time doing, since he isn't terribly fast and his Move is 3.) But if anyone does get too close 8'll put 'im in his place right quick.

EDIT: He does hurt himself with his Work skills, but he's got so much HP it really isn't much of an issue. Enemies can't hit him from afar with magic (Auto-Innocent), and if they try any melee attacks they get the http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif knocked out of them. Use Chakra or a potion if his HP loss worries you.

guardbreak
12-22-2004, 02:56 AM
LOL LIMIT

The Amazing Spiderman
12-22-2004, 03:16 AM
Worker 8 is a Beatdown Machine of Chaos, althought he's slow, and Innocent, something that I don't like that much.

He's good, more if you don't even use Mages.

Despotus
12-22-2004, 04:11 AM
All true and good points. Worker 8 is a mighty monster, therein lies his drawbacks. He cannot learn any secondary abilities, and you cannot remove or change his abilities (Work, Counter, Defense Up). He will always be what he is, a mean, slow-moving cannon. My approach to battles is usually not to see how quickly I can decimate the adversary (if it is my goal to waste 'em all asap, I just have a calculator hit them with Holy), but rather to see how much I can gain from each encounter. I steal and poach everything I can, and it really bugs me when W8 counters a Sacred because I miss the opportunity to get a Holy Lance or Ivory Rod from poaching it. I avoid Counter altogether because it often kills enemies I don't want to kill, yet, or even ends the battle before I want it to end.

UltimaLimit
12-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Do not think of Worker 8 as your average warrior, intent upon gaining EXP and JP so he can spend 23986 hours mastering various jobs. Think of him instead as your simple panic button--the little red button that commands the goofy-looking robot that likes to kill things. I generally save him for storyline battles and tough random battles, because if I'm outnumbered or outmatched, Worker 8 begins blowing stuff up, and suddenly it isn't so difficult anymore. Sort of like Orlandu, only... not Orlandu. :)

Worker 8 doesn't gain new skills, but the next time you're getting your ass kicked in a tough fight and the robot saves you, ask yourself--does he really need them? He gains EXP, levels, and more HP and PA, and really, that's about all he needs. (Though I'll be the first to admit a bigger move range would be nice.) Frankly, I'm glad I didn't have to make him gain JP to learn his Work skills--this killing machine comes locked and loaded, for only $2134.99*.

(Yes, I know, I really like Worker 8. But I've always had a soft spot for robots that kill people. And after he saved my ass in that boss fight *shudders at memory* I was ready to kiss his.)

* (Tax not included, but at least the batteries are.)

BG-57
12-24-2004, 03:11 PM
If he's powered by a Zodiac Stone, could you imagine what he'd be like with all 13? :eek:

Speaking of poaching, I learned the hard way that it's a bad idea to try poaching with Holy Lances. Ditto for spell Guns. :greenie:

RedCydranth
01-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Worker 8 is a tank and can make this game very easy, especially with a fully powered Agrias and Orlandu. If you are the kind of player who plays FFT because of the immense powering up of each Job and mastering of hundreds of skills, then Worker 8 isn't for you. If you only play the game to beat it, then he's your man.

Enigmatic Creation [EC]
01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
*Peer* With party members like Orlandu, Razma, and Cloud, who needs the worker 8? And what UltimaLimit said, it does not gain any actuall abilities rather useful to you whatsoever. I personally believe this mech is the worst character ever...but hes still in my formation because of his rarity. You're better off with a black chocobo.

Worker 8
01-22-2005, 02:29 AM
']*Peer* With party members like Orlandu, Razma, and Cloud, who needs the worker 8? And what UltimaLimit said, it does not gain any actuall abilities rather useful to you whatsoever. I personally believe this mech is the worst character ever...but hes still in my formation because of his rarity. You're better off with a black chocobo.

HAHA You think Cloud is Better than ME? Orlandu and Ramza, Yes. Cloud is NOT better than Worker 8. Cloud's Limit skills are worthless in Tactics. Worker 8 has MUCH more use than Cloud. Hell, I feel Rafa and Malak are of more use than Cloud because Rafa as a Preist rocks with her uber-faith and Malak with his High Brave makes an efficient Ninja or Samurai. Cloud makes a good... decoy.

Yeah, Worker 8 is definitely useful if you want to make this game end faster. If you are playing to master it, then only use Worker 8 to plow through battles you don't feel like playing out.

la monk
01-25-2005, 10:27 PM
im gonna agree and say i dislike clouds abilities. although finish touch is very good.and theres no point in using him if he doesnt use the limits. i only have him because he is the only soldier.

UltimaLimit
01-26-2005, 02:02 AM
Black Chocobos don't gain any skills either, and while their movement and speed are superior, they tend to wreak havok among enemy lines--until they get killed a few turns later. Worker 8 doesn't move as much, but he has longer range and better accuracy, and is immune to magic, not to mention superior in melee. His higher HP alone makes him valuable.

Cloud takes too much effort for too little reward, as far as limit breaks are concerned. The best ones take far too long to charge, and since they can't lock onto enemies they're useless. (Cloud does do decent in other jobs, though.)

Rafa and Malak aren't worth the trouble, IMHO. Uber-Faith (good) + no Brave level worth mentioning (bad) + randomly targeting spells (worse) = a giant pain in the ass.

Moral: use Worker 8 if you need a long-range attacker and excellent brawler, or if you're against magic-users. The other 4 teammates can make up for his shortcomings (Ninjas for speed, Summoners for magic, Monks to heal Worker 8 with Chakra...)

BG-57
01-26-2005, 03:18 AM
Worker 8's immunity to spells means that to cure him you need either Wish or potions. Not a big deal though.

Up until a week ago, I'd agree that Rafa is useless, but her naturally low brave makes her perfect for treasure hunting by Move-Find. I groomed her as a Mediator/Chemist and had her Threaten herself in Nelveska Temple to lower her brave to 11 (just shy of chickening out) and I managed to get the Javelin II and Escutcheon II and Sasuke knife without much trouble.

Still haven't found a use from Malak though.

RedCydranth
01-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Malak's only major use is his high brave and low faith. He's the Anti-Rafa. High brave makes him dish out a lot of damage physically, and low faith allows him to be virtually unstoppable against magic users. Not often does an opponents time magic or yinyang magic work on him. Nor does he recieve significant damage from summons and black magic. His usefulness is limited because high brave makes him succeptible to physical attacks. He makes a great Samurai becuase his high brave makes Blade Grasp overly effective. Malak as a Ninja with the Samurai Blade Grasp is a great combo for Malak. Since most basic fighter's brave isn't nearly as high as Malak's he's worth keeping as a ninja/samurai. Rafa makes a great White mage/Black Mage combo. Just keep her away from opponents magic.

Malak is the closest human equvalent to Worker 8 because Worker 8 has no faith and Malak's is the lowest in the game (without mediatiion manipulation). The best difference between Malak and Worker 8 is Worker 8 is always useful.

BG-57
01-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Meliadoul is like that as well: only rarely useful. She's great in boss fights against human opponents, lousy against random monsters.

I find Worker 8 is more versatile than either Malak or Meliadoul. Once I got him, I used him in almost every battle.

Edgar
01-31-2005, 03:41 PM
First off, Malak and Rafa are way too random to depend on.

Second, you don't really need Meliadoul since those Zodiac monsters do not wear armor anyway.

Thirdly, Worker 8 is very versatile. Unfortunately, I only use him as a ladder to climb in order to get Cloud's Materia Blade.

Forthly, Faith and Brave can be adjusted via Mediator skills.

Lastly, Squire Ramza will beat them all.

Thank you =)

RedCydranth
01-31-2005, 05:39 PM
Sure Rafa and Malak's original skills suck, I never said they did. Although Mediators can manipulate Faith and Brave, you don't need to go through that hassle much with Rafa and Malak. For those who are purists and must use every crucial character to the max, Like me, Rafa and Malak aren't the hell (no pun intended) everyone claims. Sure there are MUCH better characters, but they aren't useless.

Again, Meliadoul is like Rafa and Malak, useful if trained properly. Most of the time I do not have her as her designated job. She makes a sweet basic Knight. Sub Item or monk skills and she's very formidable. Only when going into a known human opponent battle do I switch her over to Divine Knight, but even then I sometimes don't because I have Orlandu for that.

Squire Ramza is better, no one said he wasn't.

BG-57
01-31-2005, 11:18 PM
Thirdly, Worker 8 is very versatile. Unfortunately, I only use him as a ladder to climb in order to get Cloud's Materia Blade.

Just out of curiousity, how do you get on top of the pillars of Nelveska Temple without Worker 8? It has some of the game's best goodies. :)

Despotus
01-31-2005, 11:59 PM
To get onto the pillars, use any large monster: Dragons, Behemoths, and maybe Morbols?