PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting my driver's liscence..

Precious Garnet
12-21-2004, 12:32 PM
First I gotta go through all these tests. My parents says I have to study before I take them. What do you guys think? Are the tests easy or hard? *Maybe it's kinda a stupid question but whatever* :rolleyes2

crono_logical
12-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Depends on the country, I guess :p Over here in the UK, I had one multiple choice test, then the practical driving test, and passed them both first time. I think it's changed to two tests before the practical now, I don't know, but I know someone who recently tried the practical and failed for their third time now :p

Are you in the US? You'll have it easy then, with the lack of roundabouts there, I think you only have something like two in the entire country or something :p

theundeadhero
12-21-2004, 01:34 PM
Whatever a roundabout is! If your in the US just pretty much concntrate on the road signs and speed limits and DUI/DWI punishments for the test. Theres a few odd questions in it but thats what it's mostly about.

Craig
12-21-2004, 01:37 PM
I've recently sent off for my provisional and should be getting a Crash Course for my birthday in january, does anyone know if the driving age limit is being put up in the UK or not?

Shlup
12-21-2004, 02:26 PM
Most of the people I know failed the behind-the-wheel test the first time. I don't see how... I thought it was easy.

I had to study for the written test though. It wasn't terribly hard, but I doubt anyone would pass without reading through the booklet.

Yamaneko
12-21-2004, 05:48 PM
The written test is common sense. The behind-the-wheel test is easy, at least in California because they no longer ask you to parallel park.

escobert
12-21-2004, 05:52 PM
In Vermont You take the written test which is 10 T/F questions when you're 15 to get your permit. Then when you turn 16 you take the driving test. I passed both first time. I lov eot drive :D

DMKA
12-21-2004, 05:55 PM
I took mine in Hell. In order to pass here, you're required to take a written test and a behind the wheel test. You're allowed to miss 15 out of 20 on the written test, and unless you kill someone, I don't think it's possible to fail the driving portion...

Yet most people around here still fail it on their first try or 2. O__o

Rabid Dogs
12-21-2004, 06:21 PM
Here in Georgia, I had to take two 20 question tests for my learner's and a driving test for the real deal. The multiple choice tests were harder than the driving test, because you have to get 15 out of 20 on each of the tests, and my first 5 questions dealt with "Operation Click It or Ticket," and other stupid junk like how drinking affects drivers, which is real since I was 15 and you have to be 21 to drink legally.I missed the first five and got the next 35 right. The driving for my real license was easy, but I did have about 50 hours experience behind the wheel, so that helped.

escobert
12-21-2004, 06:54 PM
I had about 3 years of experience behind the wheel. *waited until he was 18 to get his*

bennator
12-21-2004, 07:15 PM
In ohio, we had to get 38/50 on a "written" test (it was on a computer), drive for 50 hours, 10 of which at night, with a guardian, sit through 24 hours of classroom training, 8 hours on the road training, and then take a 2-part road test which includes a manuverability portion, and a street-driving portion.

I passed everything the first time, which is strangely rare.

rubah
12-21-2004, 09:22 PM
arkansas just has a 25 question test. Just have someone drill you on stuff in the book the night before. A lot of it *is* common sense, like what happens when the roads are wet, and when you need to have your lights on, etc, and they seemed to like the distances: 'how far back should you be? how can you tell how fast you're going?'

The guy wouldn't let me go more than 20mph around the block. I think if I would've ran one of the stop signs (he told me as soon as we went past the last one that the next one was coming up) he would've about killed me.

Far from difficult. The hardest part was getting them to tell us when we would be able to do all this crap.

NM
12-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Whatever a roundabout is!

There used at junctions instead of traffic light's.

It's kinda hard to explain how they work in words, so i'll post a link to a page where someone else tried. :p

http://www.eastmead.com/driving_uk.htm
(scroll down to the middle of the page.)

Kirobaito
12-21-2004, 09:58 PM
Are you in the US? You'll have it easy then, with the lack of roundabouts there, I think you only have something like two in the entire country or something :p

That's not true, I know of two in my city alone. Except we conserve our breath and just call them "circles." :D There's Bluebonnet circle which connects 6th street, Granbury Road, and University Drive. I don't remember the name of the other one, but it's on the east side. :p So there.

ANYWAY...yeah, my test was easy. In Texas we have to go to three weeks of driver's education, which is two hours a night. We have to go to 7 driving sessions with an instructor. We only take a written test to get our permit, which is simply as all getout. Just roadsign recognition. The driving test is just residential areas. :D

escobert
12-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Yeah I know of several roundabouts.1 in a couple towns up from me, and one in the town my college is in.

Zell's Fists of Fury
12-21-2004, 11:04 PM
I never took the tests. Hurray for Driver's Ed.

Meat Puppet
12-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I had a written test that I could take when I was 15, and another practical test which came 6 months later, and then in twelve months I could get the full one after another pointless practical. I took the written when I was 17, and took the practical quite recently. I am allowed to drive by myself now, but have to wait 12 months or so before I can drive passengers. Cute.

beyondthegrave
12-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Well I live in California,US I must say it is really easy to get one here even when so many people get into accidents and they don't even care like when I was at starbucks and some girl dented my bumper with her nissan and speed off it angered me :mad2:

Shoeberto
12-22-2004, 12:02 AM
In ohio, we had to get 38/50 on a "written" test (it was on a computer), drive for 50 hours, 10 of which at night, with a guardian, sit through 24 hours of classroom training, 8 hours on the road training, and then take a 2-part road test which includes a manuverability portion, and a street-driving portion.

I passed everything the first time, which is strangely rare.
That makes it sound like a lot. I guess I just didn't notice.

I got like 39/50 on my permit exam. Everything else I passed with flying colors.

Kalen
12-22-2004, 03:42 AM
I failed the writen test the first time and had to go back because I didn't read the little booklet. Which you really do have to read because there's all these questions like "what happends the second time you get a DUI and how many days for blah blah blah" I forgot already, but the behind the wheel test was easy. I passed the first time.

Skogs
12-22-2004, 09:28 AM
There are three tests in Victoria (Aus). The first is a multiple choice test for your L plates which is pretty easy if you've read the VicRoads manual a couple of times. Before you take your practical test there's a 'hazard perception' test where you are given a command to carry out (e.g. turn left, slow down, u-turn...) and you see a video of a driving situation - you have to click the mouse button when it is safe to carry out the task. It's a bit crap because the screen is dark and you can't see anything and its nothing like driving. The driving test is third.

I passed all three first go, though I just scraped through on the hazard perception...

DMKA
12-22-2004, 09:49 AM
I never took the tests. Hurray for Driver's Ed.
What? I took drivers ed, and I still had to do it all....O__o

*Hates this place more*

crazymcjoe
12-22-2004, 12:39 PM
I can't take my tests when I get to 17, cause they cost so much in London :down: ...damn you all :whimper:

Sacred Phoenix
12-22-2004, 06:34 PM
In Ontario, Canada, you have to take a written test(G1), than you can drive with a parent(assuming your parent can drive) or someone who has had their licence for 4 years or more, you have to wait 8 months with driving school, a year without, then you can take you G2 test. (which is pretty much your full licence, except it expires in four years, plus you can't drink AT ALL, and if you let it expire you go back to your G1) and then after a year you can take your G test which is your full licence.

I passed all three with out failing. YAY me!!

Fate Fatale
12-22-2004, 09:43 PM
I've driven... its not that hard... You turn, you speed up, you slow down... its really simple... I had a friend recently take the test.. he failed the written part but got it on the 2nd time...

Mr. Graves
12-22-2004, 10:16 PM
The written test is common sense. The behind-the-wheel test is easy, at least in California because they no longer ask you to parallel park.

I took my behind-the-wheel test about 8 months ago in Michigan, and I was never asked to parellel park. Dunno if it's national or what.

I remember missing 6 questions on my 20-question written exam, but I still passed. Here is one rule of thumb I learned about behing-the-wheel: Never get nervous. Getting nervous while driving will affect how you do, bigtime, and not in a good way. Oh, and stop for stop signs, too.

Good luck to ya.

DMKA
12-22-2004, 11:40 PM
I've driven... its not that hard... You turn, you speed up, you slow down... its really simple...
Yeah there's no stopping, parking, going with traffic, signaling, following signs, lights, traffic signals, and watching out for everything else while abiding by all the rules of the road to do. :)