PDA

View Full Version : Japanese used video game stores for classics?

Flying Mullet
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
I'm going to be in Japan in March and I would like to try and locate some classic (Famicom and Super Famicom) games and their respective systems and buy them. I really don't know how to search for such a store on the web as putting in any search relating to japanese games just pulls up importers. I've also checked out http://www.yahoo.co.jp with little success. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of where to go? We are going to check out Akihabara but I have a feeling that that will be mostly newer games and PSOne, N64 games and systems will be as old as they have.

Lord Chainsaw
12-21-2004, 07:52 PM
I usually end up buying my classics on Ebay. I got another copy of Illusion of Gaia for 99 cents. Never been to Japan, but isn't there a difference between which games work on which systems, or is that only with the newer ones?

Flying Mullet
12-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Yeah, I've found a few places on EBay to buy the classics, but I thought it'd be fun to peruse a used game store in Japan that has the classics.

As to the systems, there are differences. The Super Famicom and SNES are almost identical but their cartridges have a slot/tab/groove in one that the other does not so that you can't interchange them (unless you remove the slot/tab). And of course you couldn't play games for the Famicom Disk System on your NES. :p

But I also want to try and pick up the systems too. You can buy third-party systems that play the old Famicom cartidges but I thought it would be nicer to have the original.

Maxico
12-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Im not sure but according to a japanese corrispondant theres a place in akihabara called shikis rom house that has loads of famicom and super famicom games.

Im not sure but Ill look it up for you.

Flying Mullet
12-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Awesome. :)

SomethingBig
12-22-2004, 09:55 PM
Mighty Max, look for the name of a store with 2-3 floors of nothing but video-games. I think it's in Tokyo, but I'm not sure.

Tidus Andronicus
12-23-2004, 03:56 AM
If your ever in Kudamatsu-shi (a city know for a star falling on a tree lol) in the Yamaguchi prefecture, I was there, in a store called Chameleon Club (or something like that). whatever it was called, it was accross the street from the kudamatsu city mall "The MALL" XD
^_^ It was awesome!
This store had a whole first floor of just CDs, and the second floor was all video games and anime! and they had used games that must sell for hundreds on ebay here. they even had a few Virtual Boys! XD
I saw stuff as old as Famicoms and even new Xboxs (for only like $30 mind you) I think i saw a wonder swan, and a lot of old handhelds too.
It was over 5 months ago, so I don't remember all that I saw, but it certainly was what your talking about.

Doubt you'll be in that area... I was only there, cause thats where my girlfriend lived... Still I'll never forget that town lol. =3