PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever seen this before?

nik0tine
12-21-2004, 11:49 PM
In FFVII, has anyone ever entered a battle, and as soon as the battle started a character attacks for no reason, without you telling them to, and there is a caption that says "X was caught by surprise" Where X represents the character attacking? I have never seen this before, out of all of the times that I have played. I was in the area where you get Typhoon, and suddenly Tifa casts flare on an enemy without me telling her to, and the caption read "Tifa was caught by surprise" Anyone heard of this?

Captain Maxx Power
12-22-2004, 12:06 AM
I think you may have Sneak Attack paired with Contain. That would allow you to attack first in a round. The only other thing I can think of is that you may have got lucky sevens (7777 HP), but I think that makes you attack constantly for 7777 damage per round. Apart from that this would be a first to me.

Sepho
12-22-2004, 12:16 AM
I've never heard of this. Sneak Attack allows you to attack first, but you still have to select a command. And I've gotten Lucky 7's once, and it does as Maxx describes.

Necronopticous
12-22-2004, 12:20 AM
This is new to me, and I've played through Final Fantasy VII 6 or 7 times.

-N-
12-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Counter Magic, perhaps?

UltimaLimit
12-22-2004, 12:59 AM
I agree with what everyone else has said so far, but have a few questions:

1) Has this happened every battle, or just once?

--- IF EVERY BATTLE ---
~ Do you have Sneak Attack equipped, or anything that gives Tifa an automatic status? (ie: Fury Ring gives Auto-Berserk)
--- IF JUST ONCE ---
~ Was it a boss battle? (If so, which boss?)

2) Where were you fighting? (If it was the GS Battle Arena I wouldn't be too surprised, glitches abound.)
3) Were you cheating in any way? (GameSharks, codes, W-Item, anything?)

I'm confused too. Give as much info as you can and maybe somebody will figure it out. Or maybe it's just a glitch. :confused:

nik0tine
12-22-2004, 03:47 AM
Well, right now im almost 100% sure that it does have to do with sneak attack because I did have sneak attack paried with contain. I changed the paired magic, and it changed what happened, although Tifa still attacked first and i still got the "Tifa was caught by surprise" message. Ive never seen that message on any other playthrough before though. And no, I was not cheating, and it started happening in almost every other battle or so, but it was at random.

UltimateSpamGrover
12-22-2004, 05:19 AM
I've had that with Aeris, but I played this game so long ago, so basically my post is irrrlevant.

JayDee
12-22-2004, 02:24 PM
This is my first post in these forums............. :) Hooray.......... :|

Anyway. I'm surprised no ones given a straight answer yet :eek:
You have ovbiously equiped Sneak Attack with Contain.
There is NO other way that could possibly happen.

The End.

Ultima Shadow
12-22-2004, 02:55 PM
You have ovbiously equiped Sneak Attack with Contain.
There is NO other way that could possibly happen.

The End.
Great first post and I totally agree. ;)