PDA

View Full Version : Ending Interpretation. (Spoilers)

Ichimonji
12-22-2004, 03:53 PM
What are you're thoughts and or interpretations on the ending. The game leaves a lot open and there's a lot of room for debate so I figure there will be a lot of different opinions. I'll give my personal quandary after I hear a few views.

BG-57
12-22-2004, 04:22 PM
By the ending are you referring to Ramza and Alma riding off on chocobos or Delita's touching farewell to Ovelia, or both?

BudSoda02
12-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Well there was a little openness... I'd like to see what happened to Mustadio, & Agrias.
Thanks- BudSoda02

Ichimonji
12-22-2004, 05:45 PM
Both. I guess I'll get the wave flowing... First up, I would like to say that I enjoyed the ending. It was a very fashionable end for such a marvellous game. FFT had one of the best stories in FF history, and the kind of confusing conclusion tied the knot. It wasn't really an open ending but it is an ending very much open to debate. Anywho...

After destroying Ajora/Altima on the Graveyard of Airships, it totally annihilates the land that they stand on. Now obviously Alma and Ramza survived because Olan saw them race by on Chocobos. How they got out of there, I'll never know. It's actually a case of *if* they got out of there. Because all history thinks of them as deceased, except for Olan. So he writes it in his little journal which is eventually carried on to his descendant Alazlam, whom tells this entire tale. That comes later though. But what if, Olan was hallucinating, and he didn't really see them... Or he could have just thought he saw some random people, and assumed it was Alma and Ramza just so it would give him hope that they survived. Or what if in the transition between Olan and Alazlam, some writing was taken out of context and got mistranslated. I personally have no opinion on whether they survived or not. I'd like to think they did though. But how but would they manage to do that?

Now about after the Epilogue, the scene with Delita and Ovelia… I believe that because of Alma and Ramza's "deaths", Ovelia went insane out of grief for them. This is why she stabs Delita. She lost her mind, got paranoid and thought Delita killed Ramza and was about to kill her too. So appalled and surprised at this, Delita kills Ovelia because of instinct. Then he says "What did you get?" or something. Now this can be interpreted many ways... Because we truly don't really know what he's trying to say. It would help if we got to hear how he said it, which would make it a little easier. Maybe he's asking Ramza in his mind, how his life turned out... I don't know.

So Olan becomes a heretic for writing about Ramza, then Alazlam finds his writings and tells the story. Obviously Olan's writings couldn't have been 100% accurate... So when Alazlam read the writings, some of the events were probably exaggerated or left out. So I don't think we played the game in 100% truth.

That's my opinion and interpretation. Just something to think about.

The Amazing Spiderman
12-22-2004, 10:07 PM
I always thought they survived because of the Zodiac Stones.
Remember that Zodiac Stones do miracles or disastrous things depending the person who has it.

Example. Rafa reviving Malak.

And Ramza and Alma never revealed to the people because the remainings of th churches would go after them.

What Happened to the ohter units? who knows...maybe they'd survive, and go on separate ways than Ramza and Alma.

dodhungry
12-23-2004, 03:49 AM
Personaly I did not like the ending beacuse it was so open. But in any case: I think Ramza and Alma survive. This is mainly due for the final video of the two riding on the chocobos. As for the rest of the party, well... you would think Orlandu would want to see Olan or Mustadio see his father but....oh well.
From the way I seen it, Delita killed Ovelia. I belive he had this in mind all along beacuse of the way he always seemed to talk down to her.
In all it is a great story but to me the ending could have been dealt with better.
Oh if you ever have seen a Jap version of the game it has MANY differences, including battles and possibly endings.

BG-57
12-24-2004, 02:53 PM
I made this point about FFVII as well. Having an open ending is good because it allows you to come to your own conclusion what happened next. For example, I would like to believe that Ramza and Meliadoul become an item (her statement when you click on her name sure gets me wondering) and the vague ending allows for that possibility. As in the movies, if a character supposedly dies offscreen, you can't be sure that they truly died.

As for Delita, I don't think he planned to kill Ovelia. I suspect he planned to keep her in the dark about how much he used her. Of all the characters, Delita strikes me as the saddest. He gets all the power in the world but is still unhappy. Maybe the game is saying that you can be good and true as long as your sister is alive.

BudSoda02
01-03-2005, 03:09 PM
That Oveila Delita killed was a fake, you know. She Probably volenteered for it just like another person to clear Cid's name from history & to stop the church from chasing him. The real Oveila was now free of pursuers & can lead a peacful life.
* Sorry for me being gone, the holidays blocked me from gettin on the net. *
Thanks- BudSoda02 BudSoda02@yahoo.com

feioncastor
01-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Doesn't anyone ever wonder what came of Rafa and Malak, or do you all not care about them just as much as I don't?

Feion

dodhungry
01-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Rafa Malak who.....oh thats right no one really gives a rip if they died or lived at the end. Only Ramza, Delita, Ovelia, TG Cid, and Alma matter. But it is a good point to brink up in a different thread.........

BG-57
01-06-2005, 01:30 PM
And they were last practitioners of Truth and Untruth! I guess their nearly useless random panel attacks are lost to history.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-06-2005, 01:40 PM
I like to think Ramza went up into the Ivalice equivalent of the Himalayas to study with some monks for the rest of his life. Alma stayed by his side taking care of him and churning butter until she was married off to a comely yak herder.