PDA

View Full Version : What are faries???????

redxiiii
12-22-2004, 06:57 PM
cud sum1 shed some light on this subject please :D :D :D

Necronopticous
12-22-2004, 07:08 PM
"The words 'fey' and 'faerie' come from the French and started to replace the Old English 'Elf' during the Tudor period. Spenser and Shakespeare popularised the change. 'Elfland' and 'Faerieland','Elf' and 'Faerie' were and still are interchangable words. The spellings of 'faerie' are numerous: fayerye, fairy,fayre,faerie,faery,fairy.
Faerie is a world of dark enchantments, of captivating beauty,of enormous ugliness, of callous superficiality, of humour,mischief,joy, and isnspiration,of terror,laughter,love and tragedy. It is far richer than fiction would generally lead one to believe and, beyond that,it is a world to enter with extreme caution, for of all things that faeries resent the most is curious humans blundering about the private domains like so many ill mannered tourists. So go softly-where the rewards are enchanting, the dangers are real.

The myths and legends about Faerie are many and diverse, and often contradictory. Only one thing is certain-that nothing is certain. All things are possible in the land of Faerie. The mystery of Faerie has been, from the earliest times, a subject of human speculation. What are faeries? Where did they come from?
Norse mythology relates how the maggots emerging from the corpse of the giant Ymir transformed themselves into the Light Elves and the Dark Elves. Light elves, living in the air, are benign, happy creatures, but the dark elves, whose domains are the underground regions, are swarthy, evil and blighting.
The Icelandic version, on the other hand, states that Eve was washing all her children by the river when God spoke to her.In her awe and fear she hid those children she had not already washed.God asked her if all her children were there and she replied that they were. He then declared that those she had hidden from him would be hidden from man. These hidden children became the elves or faeries and were known as Huldre Folk in the Scandinavian countries. Huldre girls are exceptionally beautiful, but with long cowstails; or else they are hollow behind, presenting only a beautiful front. Thus they fulfil the deception of their origin.
Elsewhere faeries are believed to be fallen angels; or the heathen dead, not good enough for Heaven, but not evil enough to find a place in Hell-compelled to live forever'in between' in the twilight regions, the Middle Kingdom. In Devon for instance pixies are considered to be the souls of unbaptised children. However, these beliefs stem only from the advent of Christianity, baptism being unknown prior to that time, and hence cannot be considered reliable. Faerie is very ancient and predated Christianity by several millenia. Moreover it exists, and has existed, in varying forms, in many countries all over the world."

From the knowledgeable webmaster at http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/limerick/102/faerie.htm

rubah
12-22-2004, 09:53 PM
1) Snow.

2) Ellone's blasts to the past I believe.

ShivaBlizzard8
12-23-2004, 01:14 AM
1) Snow.

2) Ellone's blasts to the past I believe.

1) No - Selphie called the snowflakes "a gift from the faeries," not faeries themselves. I think faeries were mentioned to uplift a relatively depressing scene; the "magic" of a snowstorm harkening back to childhood fancies, like belief in faeries.

2) Nope again. That was called "connecting" by Ellone herself.

What faeries are is exactly what Necronopticous described - quite well, I might add. ;)

rubah
12-23-2004, 03:26 AM
No, I meant the snow thing was a joke:P (obviously the faeries have blessed us, because it snowed four inches here today^^)

the second bit was spurred by something Laguna said at some point, not Ellone.

ShivaBlizzard8
12-23-2004, 05:54 PM
1) LOL :p

2) Oh, I recall that part. It's when Squall is visitng the past and playing out the role of Laguna (caused by Ellone), that Laguna thinks the visitor in his mind is a faery, not his future son.

My bad. :) Although he might have also been refering to the fact he could suddenly use GFs, calling them the faeries. . . I've always wondered about that.

rubah
12-23-2004, 08:44 PM
'Oooh! Ain't she pretty, Ward?'

*diamond dust*

*KO*

I can just see laguna trying to summon shiva and having her knock him out instead of the enemy. *laughs*

I never thought about that before though@.@;;; That must be so freaky, you're just walking around in the woods somewhere, when suddenly, you find that you have this weird monster hanging around with you and hitting the enemies around@.@; That would totally freak me out.

I smell a catch-22.

ShivaBlizzard8
12-23-2004, 11:44 PM
'Oooh! Ain't she pretty, Ward?'
hahaha. . . knowing Laguna's luck with the ladies, that is a very distinct possibility.

I smell a catch-22.
I agree. Perhaps we should just chalk it up on the list of FF8's many blatent plotholes.