PDA

View Full Version : .sfv/MSInfo/.bin/.rar stuff

Shlup
12-23-2004, 05:35 AM
Everyonce in awhile when I download something it comes in a folder with an MSInfo file, a .sfv file, and a bunch of .rar files. I have no idea what to do with these so I usually just say fudge it and delete 'em and try again.

But I wanna learn how to actually use these and am sad and distressed. I tried to look up how to do it, and was unable to find it. I looked up .sfv at the file extension website and none of the links to programs for dealing with those kinds of files worked.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Shoeberto
12-23-2004, 06:36 AM
.sfv is...self extracting? I think.

.bin should be bundeled with a .cue, which is just a way of ripping CDs. .cue have the way to CD is to be written, and the .bin has all of the actual data.

With the bunch of .rars: Open one of them, and within Winrar, click the little .. folder that shows up at the top of the file list, then extract the first .rar in the directory, and it'll get all of them.

.nfo files aren't MSInfo, they're ASCII-art files. Usually telling you who ripped it and how to use it. Use DAMN Info Viewer to view them (you'll have to look it up youself. I'm lazy and it's late.)

Shlup
12-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Oo, I can read the .nfo file now. The .sfv file requires some sort of program to use; dunno what.

Now that I can read the .nfo file, it says to just unpack everything then burn it to a CD. I guess... that means the CD will work as if I had bought the program? I'll try it later. If anyone's done this before I would appreciate some info. <3

And, yeah, the .bins have some .cues with them in a few of the .rars.

crono_logical
12-23-2004, 10:15 AM
.sfv is a checksum file, normally containing CRC32 checksums. Basically, you use it to check files aren't corrupt. Yes, you need some sort of checksum program to use them, such as hkSFV (http://www.big-o-software.com/).

I usually open the .nfo in Notepad, works well enough :p And yeah, it'll usually give instructions on how to use the rest of the stuff, including any serials you might need and how to bypass any activation/registration needed :D As Hsu said, you can extract everything from the rars by just telling Winrar to extract the first one (might be part00.rar, might be the only .rar there with the rest actually numbered rar extensions, or some other sort of numbering).

Instead of burning to a CD though and possibly wasting a disc, I prefer to just mount the image file in Daemon Tools, a virtual CD drive, so I can use the CD directly off the HD without burning it yet. Alcohol 120% should be able to do similar.

Shlup
12-23-2004, 10:46 AM
Alright, I got as far as putting the image file in Alcohol 120%. Generally I would just screw around with the program and try to figure it out, but when I opened it up something about it screamed "GET READY TO MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER, DUMMY HAHA!"

Please tell me what to do. -_-;

crono_logical
12-23-2004, 11:01 AM
You might have got a fake virus copy of what you really wanted, I don't know since I don't have the files you have :p

Shlup
12-23-2004, 11:03 AM
I don't mean the thing, I mean the Alcohol program. I figured it out though.

Looks like this might work... Thank you Hsu and Munty. ^_^