PDA

View Full Version : Difference between PSX and original japanese version?

Sephirothvsvader22
12-23-2004, 02:27 PM
What is the difference? Is the original worth playing?

ShivaBlizzard8
12-23-2004, 05:46 PM
They only difference is that the PSX FF5 has 2 added FMVs; one at the beginning and one at end. Things that naturally went with the move to PSX from SNES were improved audio and control. Also, obviously, the text is translated into English. I played the PSX version, and enjoyed it very much.

Now, I'm not sure what you mean by "original" version - the SNES cartriage that came out in Japan, or the fan-translated ROM that you can download on a PC.

If you mean the Japaneses SNES cartriage, go for it if you can read Japanese, I guess, and have a working SNES that will play Japanese cartridges. If you mean the ROM, most diehard FF5 fans prefer that fan translation as opposed to the offical Squaresoft one on the PSX, but that's just personal preference.

As far as graphics (aside from the added FMVs) and gameplay go, the two are exactly the same.

mike without a hat
12-23-2004, 06:39 PM
Theres a couple diff names, on the ps the guys name is Bartz but the original his name is Butz. :D Also i think the girl is Lenna/Renna.

Mirage
12-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Nonono. Butz and Lenna are fan translated names. So unless you know Japanese, and know that it would be pronounced "Butz" and "Lenna", you can't know.

ShivaBlizzard8
12-23-2004, 11:36 PM
Right - the names "Butz" and "Lenna" and all the other "alternate" FF5 names are from the fan translation. Bartz, Reina, ect. are the names from the offical PSX translation.

Actually, I think our main man's name sounds like "BATZ" in Japanese, but since I don't speak nor read the languge, don't take my word on that one. ;)

XxSephirothxX
12-24-2004, 03:42 AM
Watch out if you play the game on a PS2. It often has graphical glitches when you enter the menu, and it makes it very difficult to save your game at times.

ShivaBlizzard8
12-24-2004, 04:51 AM
Also correct - FF Anthology is one of the handful of PSX games Sony has listed as incompatable with the PS2.

Braindead_Paul
12-24-2004, 12:08 PM
In the PSX version you can walk faster without having a thief in your party or having the dash ability equipped. The thief's dash ability allows you to walk even faster.
On the SNES you can only walk slow or fast (with dash ability).

Mage_of_Fire
12-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Yeah the different names are confusing to me as I just started last night. Got through with the first world though.

I named the main character after me though, but it is Lenna and Faris and Cara is the guy's daughter in my rom. Lol he just left and I already forgot his name. Fargah or something, though I'm sure you guys know it.

I don't like the name Reina. It sounds wierd. And all the japanese names on the EOFF walkthrough make it hard just to try to figure out which stairs to take. (Course eventually I figured out that the walkthrough didn't TELL me that, so I had to wander around in that stupid floating city for a while).

But I digress.

Sephirothvsvader22
12-24-2004, 09:08 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :p

...whew...

It's Galuf ;)

Fargah... Heheheh

MJN SEIFER
12-26-2004, 08:28 PM
Anthology is one of the handful of PSX games Sony has listed as incompatable with the PS2.

It works just perfectly for me. :p

DJZen
12-27-2004, 08:11 PM
I shudder to think which games will be listed as incompatible with PS3... *SHUDDER*

Bartz's original name is commonly written as "Butz". This is the name that's used in every official piece of litterature on the subject AFAIK.

The other official names are, if memory serves...

Lenna

Faris with her real name being Sarisa

Galuf

Klulu

I understand the reasoning behind changing Butz to Bartz though. Butz is indeed pronounced with a short U meaning the name is pronounced more like "butts" than it is like "butch" or "boots".

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-28-2004, 01:46 AM
It's actually Batz, pronounced "bahts," as in "robots."

DJZen
12-28-2004, 01:56 AM
That'll show me for listening to those ROM hackers.....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-28-2004, 02:08 AM
I admit it CAN be construed as "Butz," but that's like translating "beisuboru batto" as "baseball butt." It's just counterintuitive.

DJZen
12-29-2004, 06:27 PM
....If not F'ing brilliant....