PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference...

Sephirothvsvader22
12-23-2004, 02:28 PM
...between the original SNES version and the PSX version. Are they both worth playing?

theundeadhero
12-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Both are worth playing but if you have a choice go with the SNES version for the faster load times.

TheSpoonyBard
12-23-2004, 04:58 PM
The PSX version has 3 FMV sequences plus a Bonus section at the main screen with original illustrations and a bestiary, plus some more additions that are unlocked upon completing the game.

UltimateSpamGrover
12-23-2004, 11:05 PM
if you're talking about gameplay, theres nothing different between the two

feioncastor
12-24-2004, 03:26 AM
Everything as far as playing the game goes is the exact same. Same graphics, same music, same gameplay, same controls... The only difference is the horrendous load times in the PSX version. Seriously, when you push Triangle to get to your menu, it takes like 5 seconds to actually get to the menu. And of course, your menu is something you access often. Also, the load times for getting into and out of random battles is insane. I would often think that the game froze and then it would just pop right up after a few seconds. It's nuts.

But the PSX version comes with some cool rewards like FMVs, illustrations and such.

All in all, the SNES version is better because of the fact that it is a classic and really can't be improved, since it's already the greatest game ever made for any system. Ever.

Feion

Doomgaze
12-24-2004, 07:34 AM
Also Biggs' name is corrected in the PSX one, from Vicks.

That's about it.

Zante
12-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Can't Shadow only be saved in the PSX version? If yes, then that is a good reason to play this one instead of the original. And also the graphics look slightly better on PSX.

Braindead_Paul
12-24-2004, 12:04 PM
No, I saved him on my SNES! :D

feioncastor
12-24-2004, 04:52 PM
Actually, the graphics don't look even slightly better on the PSX. They look the exact same. And you can save Shadow on the SNES version.

Feion

DJZen
12-25-2004, 03:14 AM
There was a subtle dialogue tweak that has no bearing on gameplay whatsoever. Also, they took out the part where you can revive General Leo No, I'm lying. That was NEVER in the game.

Doomgaze
12-25-2004, 07:30 AM
You can save him at the Floating Continent in both games. Nothing you can do saves him in the ending of either vrsion, though.

theundeadhero
12-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Shadow that is. Not Leo.

Sepho
12-25-2004, 09:29 PM
I like how FF6 has a lot of little secrets that one would likely stumble upon only by chance. Such as the above said Shadow thing, and the Genji Glove thing when you first meet up with Banon

DJZen
12-26-2004, 07:32 AM
I've completely forgotten to mention again that the load times can be cut down if you have a PS2. The method is a little annoying but less annoying than waiting 5 seconds every time you want to open the menu.

feioncastor
12-27-2004, 03:36 AM
I've completely forgotten to mention again that the load times can be cut down if you have a PS2. The method is a little annoying but less annoying than waiting 5 seconds every time you want to open the menu.
How do you do this?

Feion

theundeadhero
12-27-2004, 03:52 AM
Turn your PS2 on without a game in it and you can set it to run PS1 games at PS2 speeds in the settings.

Mirage
12-27-2004, 05:23 AM
The default is set to PS1's loading speed, to maintain compatibility issues. Some games won't start with faster disc access, some games stream audio too fast.
Start the PS2 with no game inserted, push triangle twice to get to the Playstation driver settings. Set the disc speed to fast. If you're playing a game with textures, you should also set texture mapping to smooth. makes the games look a little better.

DJZen
12-27-2004, 08:15 PM
Please note though that you'll need to do this every time you start your PS2 since it doesn't save that particular setting for no apparent reason. It's annoying, but not as bad as 5 second load times.

theundeadhero
12-27-2004, 09:15 PM
I've heard that doing it causes the game to glitch up a little but I don't know if it does. I've never tried it.

m4tt
12-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Wow, I wish I had known that little speed up fix. The slow load times kept me from playing FF: Antologies. That's awesome!