PDA

View Full Version : Squares play with words.

theundeadhero
12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't visit this forum very often but thought I would point something out. Seraph is a religous term meaning a 3 winged angel. The name SEPHiRoth is a play on words from this. At the end of the game Sephiroth becomes an Angel and his theme is One Winged Angel. Not really going anywhere with this I just wanted to point it out.

Mirage
12-23-2004, 07:30 PM
I thought Sephirot (without the 'h') was a religious term itself, and not supposed to be a variation of seraph.

JayDee
12-24-2004, 02:06 AM
Sephiroth means something else
some kinda tree I think
I think it's just a coincidence
also the Seraph comb is one of Red XIII's weapons

Necronopticous
12-24-2004, 02:08 AM
the term 'sephiroth' refers to the nodes on the tree of life.

Sepho
12-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Seraph/Seraphim references a six-winged creature in the bible often believed to be a serpent. They're supposed to be amongst the presence of God, or something. Seraphim was an Esper in FFVI. I may have seen it in earlier FF games, but I don't recall presently.

TheAbominatrix
12-24-2004, 08:36 AM
Seraphim (the plural form of Seraph) are six-winged angels who serve God. They're said to have four heads and be covered in eyes. They're spoken of in Revelations, the final book of the Bible (and I believe other places, particularily in Jewish lore, but Revelations was the first to come to mind and the only one I know specifically). The Sephiroth, as Jeremy stated, refers to the Tree of Life.

The FF series is full of religious and mythological references.

Sepho
12-24-2004, 08:46 AM
The FF series is full of religious and mythological references.

You're not kidding.

To add to the thread, I think the physical descriptions, and the majority of information relating to the Seraphim is found in the book of Isaiah. I'm no religious-nut, though, so the validity of that statement is questionable.

Zante
12-24-2004, 09:26 AM
Sephiroth means something else
some kinda tree I think
I think it's just a coincidence
also the Seraph comb is one of Red XIII's weapons

Look here (http://www.forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=49166)

feioncastor
12-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Sephirot is a religious term stemming from, I believe, Judaism.

Also some other neat things:

Shiva - Hindu Goddess of life (not water or ice...)
Indra - Hindu God of War (not lightning)

And there's a bunch more that I can't really think of right now...

Feion

rubah
12-24-2004, 07:23 PM
on the note of mythologies-- ffx-2 is *FULL* of persian mythology. I didn't know such a thing existed until I went to look up something like azi dhaka. and ahriman is also one. so interesting. ( pantheon.org is a decent site for mythology)

fenrir and odin and ragnarok are all from norse mythology, obviously, Eden (ff8) is probably directly referenced to the Garden of Eden, and there's the Sirens (like from the Odyssey), I think Ifrit was a djinn (similar to genie, I think?) in one of the middle east religions, leviathan was a huge monster mentioned in Job (from the Bible). . . et cetera et cetera.

I want to see a narwhal in one of the future ff's. A whale with a horn on its head, I mean, how cool is that?

Sud
12-26-2004, 03:12 PM
mmm interesting :)