PDA

View Full Version : Thread refreshing

theundeadhero
12-24-2004, 03:29 PM
I've noticed that if you change the time or date on your computer back for any amount of time then when you come to the forums it causes problems. Threads still show they have new posts on in them but after you open them you have to push the refresh button to see any new post up until the computer reaches the time is was at before you changed it. I don't know if theirs anything at the site you can do to fix it buts it's still nice to know.

Loony BoB
12-24-2004, 03:45 PM
Sounds like something to do with your internet settings more than anything. I'll move this to the Help Forum. an you let us know what browser you're using, and if it's IE6, can you go to Tools, Internet Options and then click on the Settings buton and tell us what setting you have for how often IE checks for new pages?

crono_logical
12-24-2004, 04:09 PM
Might be something to do with a cookie on your computer saying the time you were last here, which will obviously screw things up if you wildly change your computer clock time. But that's just a guess, I don't know if that's one way vB uses to check your last time active :p

theundeadhero
12-24-2004, 05:33 PM
It is IE6 but I'm not sure how often it checks for new pages. I'm not sure if cookies are the right word for it, but I think it has to do with post times. If someone posts reply at your 2 pm and then you set your computer to 1 pm without updating your time prefernece in the user options than your computer won't pick up the post because it's not 2 pm yet. Why it would then work after refreshing it I don't know. Maybe because with refresh it reloads the page from scratch instead of using a timed setting. It's confusing and I don't know how to explain it.

Loony BoB
12-24-2004, 05:40 PM
I'd suggest deleting your cookie for EoFF and also checking the settings as I said earlier...

Click on Tools > Internet Options > Settings > the top options, one should be selected. I have it set to 'Every visit to a page', but I think the default is 'Automatically' (whatever that means).

theundeadhero
12-24-2004, 06:04 PM
It's fixed now. The time caught up with itself. I just wanted to point out that it does that because I didn't know if it would be just me or if it would do this for anyone who changed their time/date.

Dr Unne
12-25-2004, 06:11 AM
Changing the date/time on your computer will mess up a whole lot more stuff than just EoFF browsing habits. It's not a good idea unless it's really necessary. For example if you set your clock back, you'll likely have files on your computer that your computer thinks were created in the future. If you set it ahead, things that were supposed to happen at X time will never happen because X time never occurred. I guess I don't know how huge an issue it is in Windows, but in general it can cause a mess.