PDA

View Full Version : Unreleased Final Fantasy for n64?

Tidus Andronicus
12-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Just wondering if any of you have heard of the renderings Square did on the SGI test n46 hardware?
http://www.neomidgar.com/images/FF64/FF649.jpg

Comments? I have 2 videos. :p I know its old news... but I was curious.

Doomgaze
12-24-2004, 11:34 PM
It was a tech demo. No more.

DJZen
12-25-2004, 03:11 AM
Yes, I remember when those screens first circulated. It's not an unreleased game. It was a "what if". This is why it only uses FFVI characters.

Sepho
12-25-2004, 04:44 AM
Like Doomgaze said, a tech demo. It was supposed to demonstrate the power of the [then] up-and-coming Ultra64 hardware, which later became the N64. I remember seeing screens of the demo in an old, old GameFan magazine I was looking through not too long ago.

Thunday Man
12-25-2004, 06:21 AM
Yeah, not a game, a test demo.

ShunNakamura
12-25-2004, 12:39 PM
I dunno about the tech demo all I know is I like the SNES graphics better.... those certianally don't appeal to me at all.

theundeadhero
12-25-2004, 02:40 PM
I have to agree with that. I prefer sprites.

DJZen
12-26-2004, 07:44 AM
Well it wasn't meant as a state of the art tech demo, just a "hey, look how far along video game graphics have come!" You have yo remember, back in 1995ish when those screens came out 3D graphics in video games were still in their awkward developmental stages. The number of polygons featured here was pretty jaw dropping on a home console for its time. That's the key thing to remember here. For its time. The only 3D games we had back then had some pretty attrocious graphics. Even in comparison to those pictures they were bad. I mean, we'd barely gotten to the point where an arcade perfect translation of I, Robot could be made!

EDIT: If it's not too much trouble, could we sticky the info about this? I keep seeing threads like this pop up and I think it might be helpful if we had the screens in the FAQ with a note saying that it was just a tech demo.

m4tt
12-29-2004, 04:18 PM
EDIT: If it's not too much trouble, could we sticky the info about this? I keep seeing threads like this pop up and I think it might be helpful if we had the screens in the FAQ with a note saying that it was just a tech demo.
Done and done.