PDA

View Full Version : I need someone to translate this to Japanese.

Fantasy_Dragon
12-27-2004, 02:19 AM
"mourn the death"

I don't have a Japanese Language pack or whatever, so the symbols or whatever won't work. (Sorry, I don't know anything about other languages. :D )

Necronopticous
12-27-2004, 03:10 AM
死を嘆きなさい

Don't go getting this tattooed on you before checking it out with someone more knowledgeable in the Japanese language than me.

Dr Unne
12-27-2004, 05:37 AM
I'd be sure to ask a Japanese person. Translating from English to Japanese and vice versa is complicated, because the languages are so different. If you just take an English phrase and exchange the English words for Japanese words, you end up with Japanese gibberish. Interestingly, if you do it the other way around, you end up with http://www.engrish.com . Imagine having something like that permanently engraved upon yourself.

Fantasy_Dragon
12-28-2004, 07:50 AM
lol

Well, thanks, both of you.

Now, can anyone translate it to Latin? :tongue:

Necronopticous
12-28-2004, 08:25 AM
Have to ask Unne about that one.

Citizen Bleys
12-28-2004, 02:20 PM
That's easy, it translates to "hentaiyarou"

Dragon Ash
12-28-2004, 03:40 PM
never actually had to translate english to latin before in the 5 years that i studied it but i'll give it a go. *blows dust off latin dictionary*

mourn - lugeo
the - no equivalent in latin!
death - mors

lugeo mors?

oh by the way, thats only the basic nominative forms of the words. if you want the proper endings, you're gonna have to ask someone who has the time and patience to figure it out!

Fantasy_Dragon
12-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the help! I'm not going to need this for a few more years *cough* so take all the time you need. (No, seriously. What I want for this may never even happen.)

Necronopticous
12-28-2004, 08:14 PM
What <i>is</i> this for?

§håd0w
12-29-2004, 12:52 AM
never actually had to translate english to latin before in the 5 years that i studied it but i'll give it a go. *blows dust off latin dictionary*

mourn - lugeo
the - no equivalent in latin!
death - mors

lugeo mors?

oh by the way, thats only the basic nominative forms of the words. if you want the proper endings, you're gonna have to ask someone who has the time and patience to figure it out!

Actually, in Latin the verb comes last. In this case, mourn is in the imperative form, not the indicative. It's been a while, but I think in this case it's lugere, and not lugeo.

Correction : It is lugere, and mors is in the accusative. So it would be 'Mors lugere.' That would translate into Mourn the death.

Quick explaination

Mors is 3rd declension Neuter, so the accusative is the same as the nominative. And mourn is a command, making it an imperative, in which case you drop teh ending and add -ere for the 3rd conjugation. Henceforth: 'Mors Lugere'

Dr Unne
12-29-2004, 05:53 AM
I thought imperative for lugere was lugê. That should be a straight bar over the ê, but this is the best I can do with HTML right now, and I'm too lazy to look it up. My dictionary lists lugêre as 2nd conjugation, not 3rd, so for plural it'd be lugête. http://www.dl.ket.org/latinlit/grammar/imper.htm for example. This corresponds to what I remember, and to my Latin book. Also it says on that site that "horatory subjunctive" may be the right thing to use for something like this; I honestly have no idea. I do know that proverbs and such things in Latin are often fairly non-standard grammar, or else use grammar that's more advanced than anything I know. It's been a while since I studied Latin though.

§håd0w
12-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Huh, is it now? I thought it was third conjugation? That could explain my error. :rolleyes2 Yeah, it's been a few years since I took Latin in school, so I'm not too fresh on it as well.

Dragon Ash
12-30-2004, 02:36 PM
shows how much attention i paid in latin!

§håd0w
12-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Heh, its's understandable. I've been inactive in the language for about 2 years now. I should remember quite a bit, since I took it for about 8 years. Intro, I, II, III, IV, AP Lit., and AP Vergil. Ok so 7 years; but I should still remember everything or at least most.