PDA

View Full Version : New battery info on the PSP.

Tidus Andronicus
12-27-2004, 02:23 AM
http://psp.ign.com/articles/574/574557p1.html

I was actually shocked when I read this... I seriously thought Sony would have done better. xD

Basics of what the articall says:

Ridge Racers running at around 60fps, with advanced visual effects, full brightness on the screen, and full sound, no WiFi and low disc access; the battery lasted a whopping 3 hours, 32 minutes.

Then, on low intensity games, like Mah-Jong. With the screen and volume on full (volume using headphones this time), freaquent disc access, and again no WiFi; the battery lasted 5 hours, 9 minutes. So it would seem that a game that doesn't use great amount of intense processes, lasts a little longer.

With the system in complete sleep mode, the battery life on a full charge, it lasted more than 24 hours... But so can the DS (if not longer)

Running Ridge Racers in WiFi mode with full brightness and volume will earn you an action packed 2 hours, 46 minutes of play.

And they also test the MP3 battery life of the PSP (with screen off and volume high, and constant memory stick access) and came out with 10 hours, 39 minutes... thats good for playing MP3s... but who is gonna use their PSP to just play MP3s...

Well, thats pretty much what the artical says.
Even with the most basic games it doesn't do much better than 5 or 6 hours... pfft...
*hugs Nintendo DS* I'll be much happier with my cheaper DS and its 12 hours of battery life. :p

Shlup
12-27-2004, 10:04 AM
I heard about this. Not surprising. Nintendo rules all.

Rostum
12-27-2004, 10:10 AM
I never use hand helds for more than 2-hours, and if I ever do I'm at home so I'd just hook it up to the wall. So what's wrong with this? Nothing to me.

The only time I'd really take it around for more than 2-hours would be to play MP3's, that's assuming I don't buy myself an iPod or something similar. 10 hours is defenatly a decent amount for playing music outside.

In conclusion, battery-life has no effect on me.

Erdrick Holmes
12-27-2004, 05:45 PM
Is it gonna have a built in battery like the GBASP or do you have to buy batteries for it?

beyondthegrave
12-27-2004, 05:58 PM
I never use hand helds for more than 2-hours, and if I ever do I'm at home so I'd just hook it up to the wall. So what's wrong with this? Nothing to me.

The only time I'd really take it around for more than 2-hours would be to play MP3's, that's assuming I don't buy myself an iPod or something similar. 10 hours is defenatly a decent amount for playing music outside.

In conclusion, battery-life has no effect on me.

Same goes for me I really don't need to worry about it diein in the middle of a game.

Maxico
12-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Now you dont need to make 3 threads about all of the flaws in the PSP when the other ones are less than a month old.

edczxcvbnm
12-27-2004, 06:45 PM
Yes he does!

This is once again some awesomely bad news for the PSP. This is just another device I don't want to have plugged in all the time just to use it.

Symphonic
12-27-2004, 07:51 PM
I noticed that they didn't run everything at once; the closest they got was the first test. No test that had full screen brightness, full volume with speakers, maxium WiFi players count being tested (they used just two, they said so themselves, with not bots or ghosts), high UMD access, and high memory card usage. No test that i could see strained the PSP to its maxium settings all at once. They do not want the system to look bad, but of course they criticized every flaw with the Nintendo DS they coul find. I'm decidedly Not a nintendo fanboy, but IGN is biased, leaning towards alaways saying good things about anything not nintendo.
Such as them not testing the PSP with everything at max settings

Tidus Andronicus
12-27-2004, 08:01 PM
Read those test a little bit more... c_C they did run most the test with full volume and full brightness...
I believe the way they tested the games is exactly how most people will play the games. With handhelds, I always have max brightness and volume... those other specs they listed like disc access and such are just things that occure with the certain games you play.

One piece of good news... it looks like Sony has done something simmilar to the Sony Digicam I have (I do like Sony, don't get me wrong). It appears that the batterys for the PSP will be purchasable... so you can buy extra batteries... and charge them in addition to the one in the system, to get a little more play time, but you still would have to turn off your game and I'm assuming unscrew the battery case to swap them out... they are a propriatary formatt... just like the DS (and you can buy extra batteries for the DS as well ^_~)

Jolts
12-28-2004, 03:36 PM
Read those test a little bit more... c_C they did run most the test with full volume and full brightness...
I think you should pay attention to what you read before you criticise it. He was merely stating that they didn't test everything together, only separately. They didn't test full volume and full brightness along with everything else in one test.

Anyway, like a few have already said, I usually don't play for too long at a time, and when I do, I'm at home, so I would just hook it up to the wall and play forever and a day (or until I get bored :lol:).

Tidus Andronicus
12-28-2004, 05:50 PM
I think test 4 is as close as they could get to testing everything.... cause they used the wireless, and full volume, and full brightness.... unfortunetly... it doesn't account for memory card or disc access... but whatever...

Symphonic
12-28-2004, 06:30 PM
While test 4 was one of the better tests, and I can see why they cannot have memory card and UMD access at the same time, there are still flaws with that test. I said it once already: they only used two players for the WiFi test, not the maxium of 8, and did not use any bots. That would have taxed the systems more, resulting in even shorter battery life.

Tidus Andronicus
12-28-2004, 08:23 PM
ah yes, I see your point ^_^;

But can you imagine how bad the battery life would be with 8 players at full distance, and such... @_@ maybe 1:30 hours

Soo is 8 the max amount of players the PSP can handle? cause I know the DS can do like 16 XD (maybe thats just chat, but I think it depends on the game)

ZeZipster
12-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Dude, I sleep for 12 hours. You won't play the DS for a straight 16 hours.

Tidus Andronicus
12-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Where did that come from...? c_C 16 referrs to how many people can play wirelessly... not hours... >_>

ZeZipster
12-28-2004, 10:15 PM
Oh.. I'm an idiot =D.

Tidus Andronicus
12-28-2004, 10:19 PM
^_^; heh no prob... i do that a lot too xD

While no one would play for that many hours at once... its still nice to have a system that you don't have to plug in every couple of hours.
And you can go days with out charging a DS cause you really only play for an hour or so at a time.

ZeZipster
12-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Yeah I'd really like to see what accessories come out for both though.

Rostum
12-29-2004, 10:02 AM
ah yes, I see your point ^_^;

But can you imagine how bad the battery life would be with 8 players at full distance, and such... @_@ maybe 1:30 hours

Soo is 8 the max amount of players the PSP can handle? cause I know the DS can do like 16 XD (maybe thats just chat, but I think it depends on the game)

I still don't see why I'd want to play with 16 people at the same time? I usualy get handhelds for when I'm on the move (i.e. train or car). I'd rather set up a console to the internet or get the PC going.

That's just me though. It's not like I'm going to find 16 people to play one single game on a handheld with.

Sephex
12-29-2004, 06:34 PM
I saw this coming. Nothing against Sony or the PSP, but they don't know how to build hardware. I am not talking about video games only, by the way. Pretty much everything they manufacture sucks.

XxSephirothxX
12-30-2004, 10:01 PM
I'm definitely a major supporter of Nintendo, but I haven't bought a DS yet because there simply aren't any games for the system I want. The PSP LOOKS awesome, but it seems that, under the hood, it's not so hot. One thing of interest to note is that the DS has continually sold better than the PSP, even during the Playstation Portable's launch week.