PDA

View Full Version : Does this Suck or Does this Suck

Adam 77
12-29-2004, 04:38 PM
OK who in the world likes this game i mean it is the most copy rited final fantasy ever!!!!!. sorry for those people who like the game in some far off country are they alright, i really HATE THIS GAME!!!! i am a big fan of the other final fantasy especially 7, 8. 10, but this game is a joke in my opinion please join me in this nobel cause join forces with me and give me more reasons to hate the game more than i already do.... come on the characters suck and the plot is poor just one of many reason the characters suck the main character zidane is supposed to be a thief i mean come off he can't even steal what a faggot!! i spent nearly a hour trying to steal something off a boss!!!!garnet would be a better thief, the only good thing about this game is vivi just for looking wicked but thats about it if any one agrees with me in this war join our side and crush this terrible game into the ground where it belongs but we love square any way but i thought this game was capable of a lot more. :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

m4tt
12-29-2004, 05:09 PM
You think the characters and the plot suck, yet you like FFVIII? VIII had so many plots holes and the characters were just awful.

Anyway, I loved FFIX. I thought the characters were perfectly fine, and the game is really fun.

And calling someone a "faggot" (be it a video game character or whatever) is not needed. Do not do that.

Adam 77
12-29-2004, 05:18 PM
but the characters on 9 were all rip offs of each other zidane and amarant, garnet and eiko shall i go on... but yeah i agree with u that ff10 characters and plot was good but please dont diss 8 over 9 because 8 is so much better than 9....

m4tt
12-29-2004, 05:24 PM
How were the characters rip offs of eachother?

Zidane and Amarant are nothing like eachother. Garnet and Eiko are similar yes, but that's only because they are related.

In my opinion, FFIX is a million times better than FFVIII. The whole Oh my god, we actually new eachother years ago but you all forgot, but I actually remembered but I didn't feel like telling you all until just now, isn't that neat!? event was really kinda dumb.

Adam 77
12-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Ok what about albert and freya i mean the only diffrence is he is male and she is female they both are knights of diffrent orders i mean come on....And FF8 characters were all diffrent in their own because you had variety a gunblade warrior, martial artist, gunner, i could go on unlike 9 that was trying to put each character with a equal for example garnet and eiko.

m4tt
12-29-2004, 05:39 PM
....Each character has their own class. With the exception of Garnet and Eiko who are both Summoners and White Mages.

Zidane = Thief Class
Steiner = Swordsman Class (or Knight)
Vivi = Black Mage Class
Freya = Dragoon Knight
Amarant = Monk Class
Quina = Blue Mage Class

I don't see how that makes them all the same.

Adam 77
12-29-2004, 05:43 PM
Steiner = Swordsman Class (or Knight)
freya= dragoon knight
it's there for you to see spot the difference
oh yes and eiko and garnet you said it yourself

m4tt
12-29-2004, 05:50 PM
Dragoon and Knight are two COMPLETELY different classes! Freya uses Lances and Spears. Steiner uses Swords. Freya Jumps and has skills that can either help the party or hurt the enemy. Steiner has skills that reduce the enemies ability to cause damage, or they just outright kill the enemy. He's a powerhouse. I don't see what you are trying to prove, the only similar thing is the "knight" title in their classes.

Eiko and Garnet learn different summons, and some magic skills that the other does not.

Flamethrower
12-29-2004, 05:57 PM
In FFVIII, all the characters were practically the same in battle. It really didn't matter who you choose since the only real difference between the characters were the limit breaks. At least in FFIX, the characters each have their own unique set of abilities, strenghts, and weaknesses.

Are Steiner and Freya similiar? In ways, yes. But I think those two are more different and unique then, let's say, Zell and Selphie are.

I dunno, maybe you would have had to of played the older Final Fantasies (FF1-FF6) to of appriecated this game, because in FFIX, Final Fantasy finally went back to it's roots. But even if you havn't played the older ones, I still can't see why you wouldn't enjoy it. It's a fun game with a great story.

FFIX > FFVIII.

Adam 77
12-29-2004, 05:59 PM
I know what u are trying to say but thats is not the point im trying to prove the similarity of the characters like eiko and garnet both use summons and white magic i mean come off it i could go on the other final fantasy games each character was diffrent in their own way but FF9 its just to much the same for my taste. And the other thing i hated about this game was the fact you get to level 99 but u dont have 9999 HP at the end of it i mean that is stupid it proves that what is the point.

m4tt
12-29-2004, 06:05 PM
You keep saying that it is "too much of the same" but you won't give an example of WHAT is the same. If it's not the abilities or the classes, then what is it?

And why do they need to have 9999 hp at level 99? That would make the game too easy, none of the monsters even come close to doing that much damage.

Flamethrower
12-29-2004, 06:06 PM
Yes, they both have the same abilities, but they're still unique. Garnet has more/better summons than Eiko while Eiko has more/better white magic. (I think. It's been awhile since I last played.)

Sephex
12-29-2004, 06:49 PM
This thread is hilarious. Matt, I imagined you grabbing your head when you typed, "Dragoon and Knight are two COMPLETELY different classes!" That's classic.

Anyway, you have every right to dislike FFIX, but come up with clear reasons if you are going to bash a game.

Lon611
12-29-2004, 07:34 PM
wow u hate a lotta ff's.

i love x, prolly my favorite of all time, and i thought ix was almost as great. i mean the characters were dynamic, although il admit that the characters could've been developed a lil bit more. not that the were "rip offs" of each other, but the supporting characters outside of zidane, vivi, amarant, and dagger didn't really get a good showing. i mean, you don't get to learn about their past and their feelings on such as a deep level as u do as in vii or x, but the main quartet was something magical. best main cast ever, at least before i played x and vii. i really thought that the supporting cast sort of got left behind;you got them so late in the game, you could only do so muc with them. there should be a ffix-2, rofl. :rolleyes2

but its a great game. the whole philosophy about memories and planets assimilating each other isn't new,but its still great.plus the "vessel with a sole" thing has been done a couple times...plus, "guy with a tail sent down to destroy earth, but bumped his head and became a nice guy"....dragonball/dragonball z ne1?

and no1 can say nething abot the music. just go to branbal and listen. or just look!!the graphics, oh my gracious.

Armisael
12-29-2004, 07:45 PM
wow u hate a lotta ff's.

i love x, prolly my favorite of all time, and i thought ix was almost as great. i mean the characters were dynamic, although il admit that the characters could've been developed a lil bit more. not that the were "rip offs" of each other, but the supporting characters outside of zidane, vivi, amarant, and dagger didn't really get a good showing. i mean, you don't get to learn about their past and their feelings on such as a deep level as u do as in vii or x, but the main quartet was something magical. best main cast ever, at least before i played x and vii. i really thought that the supporting cast sort of got left behind;you got them so late in the game, you could only do so muc with them. there should be a ffix-2, rofl. :rolleyes2

but its a great game. the whole philosophy about memories and planets assimilating each other isn't new,but its still great.plus the "vessel with a sole" thing has been done a couple times...plus, "guy with a tail sent down to destroy earth, but bumped his head and became a nice guy"....dragonball/dragonball z ne1?

and no1 can say nething abot the music. just go to branbal and listen. or just look!!the graphics, oh my gracious.
same for me..

K-chan
12-29-2004, 07:47 PM
I dunno...I liked ff9's character, the plot...the only thing I didn't like was the end bosses because they were to easy! :p

Alexander
12-29-2004, 07:57 PM
I have only two words to say to Adam: STFU N00B! Ò_Ó
Are you dumb enough to don't notice that Eiko and Garnet are both Summoner/White Mages because both of them are from Madain Sari, THE VILLAGE OF LOST SUMMONERS
The only game that FFIX is related is FFI... and that doesn't change the fact that FFIX KICK THE FAT ASS of FFVIII.
In FFVIII all chars are the same -_- same commands, same magic, etc... Only the limit breaks change...

boris no no
12-29-2004, 09:04 PM
FFIX KICK THE FAT ASS of FFVIII.

damn right!!!
FFVIIIs characters were so limp! they didn't really evolve!
whist FFIX they all progressed and the characters changed!
noone disses FFIX in front of me *pounds fist in hand in a menacing way*

m4tt
12-29-2004, 09:12 PM
Are you dumb enough to don't notice that Eiko and Garnet are both Summoner/White Mages because both of them are from Madain Sari, THE VILLAGE OF LOST SUMMONERS
The only game that FFIX is related is FFI... and that doesn't change the fact that FFIX KICK THE FAT ASS of FFVIII.
In FFVIII all chars are the same -_- same commands, same magic, etc... Only the limit breaks change...

Personal attacks are uncalled for. You do not have the right to call him dumb just because you don't agree with him. So knock it off.

And calling him a "noob" when you just registered 5 days ago doesn't make much sense, does it?

Lon611
12-30-2004, 12:10 AM
And calling him a "noob" when you just registered 5 days ago doesn't make much sense, does it?

rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!oh man, that made my day :p

UltimaLimit
12-30-2004, 12:22 AM
While I too was disappointed with FF9 in some aspects (discs played through too quickly, music was sometimes annoying, cards and Chocobos were a big pain), it was still a fun game, and I don't regret the time I spent playing it. FF8 I haven't played, so I can't compare it, but the real reason I don't love FF9 is because I played FF7 before it (and liked it better). There was already a thread recently comparing 7 and 9, so I won't repeat it all here, but my general opinion on the matter is that FF9, while not the greatest game, was still pretty good.

~ Graphics: Excellant, even you should admit that. Though I think some of the characters, like Zidane and Kuja, looked too feminine.
~ Soundtrack: Decent (IMO). There were some good tracks (Sword Of Doubt), but there are better. Really a matter of if you like the style or not.
~ Gameplay: Solid. I agree that it would be nice to be able to bring your HP to 9999, but as Matt mentioned, it's not necessary. I just wish Trance was more reliable, and you could get every skill-teaching item again. (I missed out on the Level 3 spells.) And super-bosses would be nice. (But if you go for the Excalibur II sword, every boss will probably seem like a super-boss.)
~ Character similarity: I kind of agree with you on Eiko--she always seemed liked a knock-off of Garnet to me--but I recognize that she's necessary for the story, and has some decent moves of her own. I don't like her, so I simply don't use her.
~ Stealing: Try Bandit. Or wait until later in the game when you have better stats. Stealing's nice, but not truly necessary.

Dragoon Kain
12-30-2004, 02:26 AM
damn right!!!
FFVIIIs characters were so limp! they didn't really evolve!
whist FFIX they all progressed and the characters changed!
noone disses FFIX in front of me *pounds fist in hand in a menacing way*

nonononononono. the 8 characters evolved!

squall went from a total badass to a complete WUSS! :D

rubah
12-30-2004, 02:49 AM
a much more lovable wuss though.

hmm, I dont' get what the thread starter meant by it being the 'most copy rited' game. Or why it matters what country the player lives in. Anyways.

I thought ff9 was rather boring, on the whole. I had made up my mind to do the sidequests, but I got tired of them and said 'heck, I'll go beat the game and come back'

That was a few months ago. I still havent' gone back to that save slot.

(It was pretty. and I liked Amarant's abilities. I'll give it that:))

Alexander
12-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Sorry for the "STFU n00b" and stuff, but say that the game suck using the most idiot reasons really makes me "go berserk" -_-

Azure Chrysanthemum
12-30-2004, 11:47 AM
I too would like to hear a real reason after the initial poster has been suitably lambasted by just about everyone else in the thread.

nik0tine
12-30-2004, 11:50 AM

That's five words.

YunaXTidus
12-30-2004, 12:24 PM
i liked 9 it wasnt my favourate but i have played it again since i first beat it, the reasons i liked it were:

all the characters were nicely developed and had personalities (unlike 8, i liked 8 but i personall felt that the characters, well except squall and rinoa where seriously underdeveloped)

the different classes, not everyone had the same abilities

i liked vivi and zidanes trance.

the ending was cute.

Adam 77
12-30-2004, 12:53 PM
Well it seems u all have made your points on here but here is my clear reasons for not liking this game firstly lets start with the rallyho thing in conde petie, they basically stole that idea from final fantasy 4 if any of you have played it you would know it already. After playing through 7 u can see a few similaritys that 9 have tried to go over for example cloud and sephiroth, zidane and kuja, cloud is a clone of sephiroth and then u have zidane which is a special type of genome you can clearly see here the similaritys they were trying to copy off FF7 which i found wrong because i thought FF7 had a much better plot unlike 9. I know it was the last game on the playstation and i know that sqaure was trying to make a final fantasy that resembled the others but they didnt have to steal some ideas from other storylines onto this game. This is only my opion some people like it and some people hate it, but there is no need to get nasty about it im only speaking my mind.

ALEXANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JayDee
12-30-2004, 01:07 PM
i really HATE THIS GAME!!!! i am a big fan of the other final fantasy especially 7, 8. 10, :mad2:

IX really isn't as great as everyone's been saying like you i prefered
VII and VIII but come on how can you like X it was so stupid
atleast 10x worse than IX
I think after IX they wont make any good games.

Cactuar King
12-30-2004, 01:29 PM
i totally agree with adam and what he says i back him 100% but every body is only speaking their minds and we all have the right to do this :)

Polaris
12-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Actually I also don't like FF9 that much.

Characters design: is horrible! Soory but who is going to remember to create a character with a tail and a horrible name that reminds me a football player that I hate (Zidane);

Vivi: A character with no head (that is disgusting) and with two big yellow eyes (that is scary), I mean how/where does the eyes hold?

Garnet would be the only normal character and in fact she is!

Quina: My tv is big and I bet that she doesn't fit in it!

Steiner: A bunch of tin that never gets rusty and his eyes looks like cartoon!

Queen smth: Simply horrible, the first time that I saw her i scared myself!

Kuja: Is it a girl or a boy?

Game:

Gaphics - They are ok
Battles - Ok too...
FMV - Very good if it wasn't the fact of the characters design be so horrible!

m4tt
12-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Well it seems u all have made your points on here but here is my clear reasons for not liking this game firstly lets start with the rallyho thing in conde petie, they basically stole that idea from final fantasy 4 if any of you have played it you would know it already. After playing through 7 u can see a few similaritys that 9 have tried to go over for example cloud and sephiroth, zidane and kuja, cloud is a clone of sephiroth and then u have zidane which is a special type of genome you can clearly see here the similaritys they were trying to copy off FF7 which i found wrong because i thought FF7 had a much better plot unlike 9. I know it was the last game on the playstation and i know that sqaure was trying to make a final fantasy that resembled the others but they didnt have to steal some ideas from other storylines onto this game. This is only my opion some people like it and some people hate it, but there is no need to get nasty about it im only speaking my mind.

ALEXANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is it stealing? FF7 and FF9 were made by the SAME COMPANY! Most of the same people were involved in making the game! It's not stealing! FF9 was considered a tribute to the older games.

There's something from almost every previous FF game in it. There is an NPC named Locke, does that mean they STOLE his name from FF6?

There is an item called "Une's Mirror" does that mean they STOLE Dr Unne's name from FF1? It's not stealing if it already belongs to you. And it's not like they were major parts in the story. You see those guys in Conde Petie like 3 times? Wow such a huge story arc. Zidane being a Genome has nothing to do with Cloud and Sephiroth. This seriously makes my brain hurt.

crono_logical
12-30-2004, 03:02 PM
I liked it when Valkyrie Profile nicked loads of music tracks from Star Ocean 2 for it's bonus dungeon, then Star Ocean 3 went and did the same to Valkyrie Profile. :monster:

boris no no
12-30-2004, 09:54 PM
the rallyho thing in conde petie, they basically stole that idea from final fantasy 4 if any of you have played it you would know it already.
but they made the game....it's not as if they were stealing the idea...plus as meantioned they wanted to go back to their roots. if using an old word is that...theres nothing wrong!
anyway! IX is amazing so :tongue: there!

DrkFenix912
12-31-2004, 09:59 PM
yes, all of those were only refrences, and how would they go back to the roots of final fantasy if they didnt make any of those, so it cant really be considered "stealing"

(i personally loved ff9, or maybe i just feel attached because it was my first final fantasy)

oh, and the original saying for the dwarves was "tally ho"

UltimaLimit
01-02-2005, 12:21 AM
Cloud -- Sephiroth
Zidane -- Kuja
HERO -- VILLAIN

Need I say more?

The Dude Abides
01-02-2005, 04:09 AM
To be honest i never really liked this game either but i don't side with you adam. I don't understand how you can complain about characters being too similar....hello!!! one was a big ugly piece of tin one was an alien with a tail, one 2 feet and black,i would go on but i fell i need say no more. As for the things were stole theory i'm sorry but you are clutching straws there mate, every final fantasy has things passed down through tyhe generations and this one was the ultimate tribute. But these refrerences you put forward have nothing to do with the plot or character development,unless which you pointed out the personalitys are to samish. Well i thought they blended in the different chareacters gorgeausely. I'm sorry but your argument came across as ab it of a stupid ramble with no substance to it please think before y ou post. ;) .

For me i never liked the weapon system, my mates did but it never really suited me i'm much more of a sphere grid man myself. The thing were you lost hp when you were ko'd was a serious bummer to. And i hated it that eidelons sucked :mad: thatwas a biggie, i cant ever recll using them much to much mp for nothing of note.

p.s adamb your kuja - seperoth thing, dont get you there, if you are stating that they stole the good guy saves the world against evil guy routine tghen please sssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

Naughty Tifa
01-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Well, as it is obvious, and has been stated, anyone can speak their minds as long as they don't bash someone else's opinion. Whether the reasen may be not be mature, it doesn't really matter...

Now, getting back to the point, this game I had played because of my friend. He had gotten it by suprise and we were both exited because we never played this Final Fantasy before. But when he let me borrow it and I played it it was pure magic. Fun, colorful environments and a lovable main character! I can see why it is so over rated unlike FFVII. Don't get me wrong, VII is my fave, but you HAVE to give this one a chance. FFX sucks compared to this! It is pure genious. Going back to the roots of Final Fantasy I think was a wise choice. Just don't bash the game because of the short characters...please...Try to look past that. As I had once made that mistake...

JayDee
01-03-2005, 02:14 PM
Characters design is horrible! !

Totally agree
They should've stuck with the original sketches
(can't remember who they're by..... The ones on the discs)
They would actually look pretty cool especiall Steiner, and
even Quina wasn't too bad. Amarant still looks like a dick though.
I like Kuja's hair but come on cover up

K-chan
01-03-2005, 09:26 PM

I liked the cartoony look of FF9. ^^ Its cute!
Even though I still think Amarant looks like a red-haired version of Bob Marley ...

Renzokuken
01-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Dont worry, I thought that FF9 sucked, simply because it does! I mean the main character has a tail???!!! I mean what the hell is that all about, at least ff8 characters were human! Final Fantasy 8 in terms of reality and gameplay IMO is a superior game. FF9 just tried 2 be too complex and fell flat on its feet. I want a game I can just pick up and play, not a game where I have to cringe and puzzle at the fact my character has a tail, and Freya??!! What the hell is she? come on squaresoft you've been good so far, keep your characters real people!Look at PCgamer magazine, think that will just show you that FF9 was a disaster! I've been a gamer all my life, since I grew up in its development, doesnt make me an expert sure, but still emotionally and pleasingly for me final fantasy hits you harder than ff9 ever does. My opinion remember!

FinalBob42
01-03-2005, 10:53 PM
I thought we could have a solid discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of this game...I was wrong. In fact, this is easily the most idiotic thread I've seen in these forums so far. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

Arguing about the tail the main character has is childish and pointless. How can you judge a game based on that? It's not even worth mentioning. Final Fantasy 7's characters were nothing but a few blocks of polygons thrown together and rarely do people complain about that 'round here. Heck, most characters looked kind of funny and/or colorful in every game up to and including Final Fantasy 7.

If you want to have my take on Final Fantasy 9, here it is:

Pros
-the art direction is amazing; cutscenes and 2D backgrounds all look fantastic
-good soundtrack overall (with some ups and downs)
-characters that are at the very least creative and strange
-well done English translation (the best Square has done so far)
-plenty of fun if you can get into it (and that's what matters)
-an ability system that takes a different approach from the previous Playstation games and makes a lot of sense

Cons
-a few of the music tracks get on my nerves, especially the default battle theme
-battles could go faster
-rarely can you create your own party (especially in the first half of the game)
-not enough mini games like the ones in FF7

Doors
01-04-2005, 12:10 AM
if any one agrees with me in this war join our side and crush this terrible game into the ground where it belongs
This sentence is so funny when you think adam 77 really meant this.

To be honest I think FF9 was mediocre.

boris no no
01-04-2005, 12:22 AM
Totally agree
I like Kuja's hair but come on cover up
i think the character design was the best of the lot (VII was close behind tho!)
i mean...VIII they're all so simular to X! at least in IX they looked different!
when fully animated zidane looked amazing! so cool! plus eiko looked so much better in the game then the concept art!
IX forever!!!!!!!! :love:

Trumpet Thief
01-04-2005, 01:13 AM
chaos: Perhaps Adam should learn a few things before actually bashing FFIX. Especially after he made a second account, who praised him for bashing the game. :rolleyes2

Rubedo: Adam, if you indeed think that FFIX stole ideas, and that it kept repeating the same thing, and that everything was the same, look at FFVII and VIII. The characters, with the exception of their attitudes, and Limit Breaks, were exactly the same as their attacks were based on the materia/magic that they attached to themselves. In FFIX, at least they each had their own skills.

Trowa: We also got a main character, who, after two sets of depressed macho-men, was more cheerful. His change in Pandemonium was great, and perfectly timed. The music was great too; I didn't have a problem with it at all *Sits and stares and sits and stares*

chaos: Also, I found the character design way better than the other FF's. They were all very different, in a realistic way. I especially liked Garnet's design. She was a strong female lead, and I am happy she acted the way she was in FFIX.

Rubedo: IMO, the game was great. Get some valid reasons before bashing it so much you declare it a "War". :p

boris no no
01-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Trowa: We also got a main character, who, after two sets of depressed macho-men, was more cheerful. His change in Pandemonium was great, and perfectly timed. The music was great too; I didn't have a problem with it at all *Sits and stares and sits and stares*
:love: :love: :love:

-N-
01-04-2005, 05:17 AM
Matt, you just went up a notch in my book.

You're on notch 1.

:<3:

Old Manus
01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
THE FLAME THREAD FROM HELL

El Duderino
01-04-2005, 09:27 PM
FF9 was avarege at best and never really gave me that get up at 6 in the morning and dont stop playing for hours feel, dissapointing. And in some parts a real annoyance

UltimaLimit
01-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Matt, you just went up a notch in my book.

You're on notch 1.

:<3: LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

chocomog33
01-05-2005, 01:58 AM
"Does this Suck or Does this Suck"

Yes, you suck.

nik0tine
01-05-2005, 02:09 AM
chaos: Perhaps Adam should learn a few things before actually bashing FFIX. Especially after he made a second account, who praised him for bashing the game.

LOL!

DJZen
01-05-2005, 02:21 AM
OK who in the world likes this game i mean it is the most copy rited final fantasy ever!!!!!.

What the heck does that mean?

AvarielGriever41
01-05-2005, 04:40 AM
:trout: Wow. Unfortunately, I must agree with you. Not only was it boring and time-consuming, but the animation was horrible. I find it quite offensive really, seeing as how I am no longer three years of age and most certainly do not require kittens and birdies to hold my attention. *snip*

Wow, I've never seen someone get so worked up over a game to use such harsh personal insults. Nice knowing you. ~Your dear matty pie

AvarielGriever41
01-05-2005, 04:41 AM
Yay! I'm new and I'm already making friends! ....yeah, that's sarcasm...

AvarielGriever41
01-05-2005, 04:54 AM
It is legally impossible for Squaresoft to "steal" from Squaresoft, therefore that argument is immediately discarded. Also, they have ALWAYS used the hero-villain act because it is a Final Fantasy T-R-A-D-E-M-A-R-K.

Examples:

Squall-Seifer
Cloud-Sephiroth
Zidane-Kuja(obviously)
Tidus-Seymore

Lon611
01-05-2005, 04:56 AM
before they take away you to "the chamber" lemme just say to edit ur post using the EDIT button instead of posting a bjillion messages. thank you and have a lovely day!

DMKA
01-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Wow...I gotta say, some people certainly know how to make hilarious threads.

Did I like FFIX? Not very much. It's one of if not my least favorite. Why? Because I didn't like the way anything looked, I didn't find the story interesting, and it lacked any challenge. I heard that Ozma was supposed to be super hard (he's, according to Square, the toughest baddie in the game) and I whooped him with ease on my first try at level 45. I didn't like the characters...they all just lacked that spirit...that thing that I'm not quite sure of, but it makes me really get into FF characters. FF8 lacked this too for me, and the whole thing about the characters' past really made me mad cause it just felt so silly and cliche.

I don't think it's a bad game by any means...I just don't care for it very much, and as for the initial post of this thread...I have no idea what you mean by "character ripoffs" and "the most copy rited game". O__o

nik0tine
01-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Someone's gettin' banned.

Anyways, I have just one thing to say:

DAMN SQUARESOFT FOR COPY RIGHTING THIR OWN PRODCTS!!!!11one WHO DOES THAT NOWADAYS!??!?!?!?

DMKA
01-05-2005, 09:20 AM
Someone's gettin' banned.
I hope it's not me.

sayen
01-05-2005, 10:11 AM
Ff9 is better than ff8 in there is a diffence between ekio and garnet ekios summon are for emerganceys cause she relies on white magic where as garnet relies on her summons which is why ekio can lern holy and has dubble white mag trance and garnets sumoons get more powerfull in her trance. There is also big diffence between the knight and the dragoon dragoons specalise in fighting in the air and has some curative ability the knight is a like a tank that can only do big damige to enermys. Vivi the black mage is the only one who can use black magic In the game wich cam make him more powerful than stiner and frya and possibly garnet cause the reflect ability can make his attack do 4x damige. Zidane can steal anything but you have to be a high level with lots of speed I think mug is better than steal as it dose dameige. The magor diffence is that amanent shuld be a ninja clas casue of his claus and his thow abilitys. The only thing that’s wrong is the final bosses are compleat n00bs and can be beaten by people without any experance of ff games or any type of rpg game out there.

Renzokuken
01-05-2005, 10:28 AM
I thought we could have a solid discussion about the strengths and weaknesses of this game...I was wrong. In fact, this is easily the most idiotic thread I've seen in these forums so far. I'm sorry, but it's the truth.

*No actually I think thats probably a certain Aeries Thread and its continual accerance*

Arguing about the tail the main character has is childish and pointless. How can you judge a game based on that? It's not even worth mentioning. Final Fantasy 7's characters were nothing but a few blocks of polygons thrown together and rarely do people complain about that 'round here. Heck, most characters looked kind of funny and/or colorful in every game up to and including Final Fantasy 7.

*The reason why FF7 has polygon characters is because that was all the graphics at the time where capable of, thats why people dont complain, just goes to show that you dont need a good graphics game to be a successful game*

If you want to have my take on Final Fantasy 9, here it is:

Pros
-the art direction is amazing; cutscenes and 2D backgrounds all look fantastic

*WHAT? Anybody can stick some characteristics on the back of a 2D background, thats not graphics, Rome total war is graphics, FFX is graphics not this, it certainty doesnt rate high*

-good soundtrack overall (with some ups and downs) *Yeah I'll give you that*

-characters that are at the very least creative and strange *No, disagree, they seem sloppy and not extremely creative at all*

-well done English translation (the best Square has done so far)

-plenty of fun if you can get into it (and that's what matters) *Your opinion*#

-an ability system that takes a different approach from the previous Playstation games and makes a lot of sense *Yeah, whatever! Just because people are too lazy to work out FF8 Junction system, its not hard*

Cons
-a few of the music tracks get on my nerves, especially the default battle theme
-battles could go faster
-rarely can you create your own party (especially in the first half of the game)
-not enough mini games like the ones in FF7

Sorry mate this is just my opinion

UltimateSpamGrover
01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Totally agree

Yos hitaka Amano

Polaris
01-05-2005, 11:53 AM
I still prefer FF8 to FF9... At least characters in FF8 didn't seem to be ran over of a truck! Opps sorry but really FF9 seems a Zoo... Cid was a FROG, ok? A FROG??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell were they thinking...???

m4tt
01-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Yeah okay this thread's gone on long enough. Thank you everyone who didn't use the warn button when I was flamed. Real nice.

And also here's a warning to everyone who was flaming other people. Don't do it.