PDA

View Full Version : FF7 based on a book?

WhiteMateria
12-29-2004, 07:54 PM
I was playing through FF7 (again) and I noticed that the credits said "written by _____ and ______ ", But it was followed by a segment that said "based on the story by _____ and _____" . Does this mean that FF7 was based on another story? I mean Parasite Eve was, and they came out within a year or two of each other. Does anyone know the name of this book?

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
12-29-2004, 08:05 PM
I think it says based on the story by Hironobu Sakaguchi, who made FFI. That's the 'story' they are alluding to.

You're right; Parasite Eve was based on a book, and they also made a movie. I wanna get those!

tls
12-29-2004, 08:14 PM
The Parasite Eve movie is available in the U.S. with English subtitles, but don't expect it to be much like the game. It has a couple things in common but it's really a totally different story. amazon carries copies of it.

I believe the movie is more closely based on the book than the game was, but as the book is to the best of my knowledge only available in Japanese, I can't say for sure. (Whereas I do own the movie.)

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
12-29-2004, 08:23 PM
I think the movie is about what Maeda talks about, the incident that happened in Japan. The game takes place after the movie.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
12-29-2004, 09:25 PM
It says it's based on a story by Hironobu Sakaguchi and Tetsuya Nomura. Nomura had nothing to do with FFI.

The Dude Abides
01-02-2005, 04:15 AM
The Parasite Eve movie is available in the U.S. with English subtitles,

The americans spoke the english language last time i checked

Shoeberto
01-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Exactly why there would be an English subtitled version of a Japanese-spoken movie.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-02-2005, 06:52 AM
You can search it on amazon.com, and you don't have to be in amazon japan. I think it's on DVD, so naturally English subtitles would be on it. Exactly why there would NOT be?

-N-
01-02-2005, 06:56 AM
It says it's based on a story by Hironobu Sakaguchi and Tetsuya Nomura. Nomura had nothing to do with FFI.
Also, just because these two made the story doesn't mean it was originally a book. It's just another way of saying "envisioned by" or "conceived by", really. Nothing more.

Cless
01-02-2005, 07:25 AM
Exactly why there would be an English subtitled version of a Japanese-spoken movie.
Because people who do not speak japanese may want to watch a japanese movie without having to learn the language.

The Parasite Eve movie is available in the U.S. with English subtitles,

The americans spoke the english language last time i checked
I don't understand what you're saying. :confused: Are you insinuating that they should have said "American subtitles" instead of "English subtitles"?

Captain Maxx Power
01-02-2005, 12:33 PM
I think he was making a point that the large majority of americans, when asked what language they speak, would answer "American". There is no such language as American. There are many coloquialisms based within America, but America's only unique languages is that of the Native Americans, many now lost.

-N-
01-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Really? I'd imagine they'd answer English. But then again, I live in America, so what do I know?

Raistlin
01-03-2005, 02:46 AM
I think he was making a point that the large majority of americans, when asked what language they speak, would answer "American".
I've lived all over the US and talked to thousands and thousands of Americans and not one has ever said "American" instead of English. That's just not true.

Anyway, a good distinction was made when someone pointed out the difference between "story" and "book"(too lazy to look up who).

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-03-2005, 03:55 AM
(Americans speak English.)

I think it's just based on the story/game FF1. But if it also says Nomura, maybe he had the story in his head before he joined the team. Don't know for sure.

DJZen
01-06-2005, 08:53 AM
The story of FFI and the story of FFVII are so dissimilar it makes one wonder how these two games are related. Really the credit just means that Nomura and Sakaguchi came up with the story to FFVII.

One winged angel of death
01-06-2005, 12:13 PM
well it's a possibility, i've seen comic book's pictures on google, it's mainly staff or fans that created them. It could've been produced to a comic in japan and i even saw, a picture of Sephiroth he looked like an anime character, normal but anime, like yyh or inuyasha. I don't truely know but i'm hypothosizeing. So uhh. yeah, that's all I think.

Shoden
01-13-2005, 06:06 PM
the first Final Fantasy has no rlation to ff7 at all ff is medieval ff7 is futuristic.

Dante WolfWood
01-17-2005, 05:54 PM
umm, actually, it isn't TOTALLY incorrect when someone says they speak american, its just nother way of saying "english with american slang" if someone says they speak english and someone says they speak american, I know its not proper, but I would be able to determine the difference between them.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
01-17-2005, 07:09 PM
Sure, in casual conversation, saying I speak American is sort of satirizing how Americans speak the same language as the British do, but we have a lot of different expressions.

Anyways, have we resolved the primary topic of this thread, or should it be closed?