PDA

View Full Version : A large disapointment

chaosknight
12-31-2004, 05:31 AM
Sigh...... I recently bought a copy of the game World of Warcraft. As I going to install it I was reading the game booklet. I was reading the part on account creations when I saw these wirds:
When you purchase World of Warcraft, you also recieve a free trial period during which you can play the game free of charge. At the end of this trial, you will have to assume the monthly subscription fee in order to continue playing World of Warcraft.
I was flabergasted. (Its my word of the day) We the buyers are already paying for our internet service, and we bought the game itself.
And yet Blizzard still wants us to pay them just to play the game we bought? That seems a little unfair dont u think?
Then I thought, well mabey I should just see how much it costs to play this game. Mabey its not a big deal. A small amount, simply to help keep up the sites and servers. How wrong I was. $29.95 a damn month.
Thats 30 dollars a month to pay a game that we bought.
If u think about it, they realy dont need that big of a fee if they are to have one at all. Thousands of people world wide are paying them to play their game.
So the only thing I see here is a big greedy disapointment. PLease tell me your opinions, or if u think im wrong. :mad:

SomethingBig
12-31-2004, 06:03 AM
Most MMORPGs have a pay 2 play policy, so it's no surprise to me.

MecaKane
12-31-2004, 06:32 AM
I was really dissapointed when I found out you had to pay money for food and crank, too.

theundeadhero
12-31-2004, 01:13 PM
It just really sucks. Being Blizzard, you would expect it to be free like battle.net. $30 is a lot to pay for an online game.

Doors
12-31-2004, 02:34 PM
It just really sucks. Being Blizzard, you would expect it to be free like battle.net. $30 is a lot to pay for an online game.
Holy sh*t blizzard is crazy.But think of the money their fanboys are going to bring in.
Thats 360$ per year and most likely thinking that most of them will play it for 3 years it would be 1080$ per fanboy.And think of the amount of people that are Blizzard fanboys.

Blizzard has the money rolling in.

escobert
12-31-2004, 08:11 PM
Most MMORPGs have a pay 2 play policy, so it's no surprise to me.
But most MMORPGs cost between $10-$15 a month not $30. I was very sad when I saw that it will cost money to play. That's why I'm waiting for guild wars to come out. It's going to have no monthly charge. :D

DMKA
12-31-2004, 08:20 PM
Holy sh*t blizzard is crazy.But think of the money their fanboys are going to bring in.
Thats 360$ per year and most likely thinking that most of them will play it for 3 years it would be 1080$ per fanboy.And think of the amount of people that are Blizzard fanboys.

Blizzard has the money rolling in.
I guess they kinda have to start now, seeing as they release a game once in a blue moon.

I was really dissapointed when I found out you had to pay money for food and crank, too.
Yes. :(

Lord Chainsaw
12-31-2004, 08:40 PM
30 dollars a month? I'm glad I bought Everquest 2 instead.

Ryth
12-31-2004, 09:03 PM
:eek: $30 a month THAT'S NUTS! I wat to play MMORPGs butbecause of pay 2 play I can't but if I did I'd stick to FFXI and Phantasy Star Online screw WOW.

chaosknight
12-31-2004, 11:06 PM
does everquest make u pay to play? and if so how much? what about the diablo series? I need more information before I return to walmart and exchange World of Warcraft for a different game.

Super Christ
12-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Every online game I've ever heard of is pay to play, although $30 a month is steep (about twice what they usually are). Anyway, the only "online" games I know of that are free are Warcraft 2, Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Diablo, and Diablo II. And even then, they're not really online games, rather just games with online capability. You get the same experience online or offline, there are just other people there (sometimes) on the online games.

Maxico
12-31-2004, 11:22 PM
Any online game with user operated servers is free.

Any online game with servers owned and operated by a company is usualy pay to play.

SomethingBig
01-01-2005, 01:27 AM
But most MMORPGs cost between $10-$15 a month not $30.
That's true. But Blizzard knows how to earn money. Thousands of people still play Diablo II. Why they do, I'll never know.

Shadow, I'm gonna keel you for that comment.

Ryth
01-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Ohhhh BURN big geez you just got SCHOOLED!

Doomgaze
01-01-2005, 09:05 AM
1)Too bad that WoW costs $13-$15 per month depending on how far in advance you play. Otherwise your little sob story might have some merit.

2) Wal-Mart is almost certainly not going to take back an open game.

3) You suck for shopping at Wal-Mart in the first place.

4) You're also naive for thinking that a MMORPG is not going to have a monthly charge. Furthermore, it says quite clearly on the box that it is pay to play. You might as well complain that you bought Doom3 and it didn't work on your Pentium 1.

5) Finally, if any of you think World of Warcraft should be free, you have NO idea as to how much work goes into these games. The development NEVER STOPS. They have no reason to keep people employed full-time working on this game for you if you're not going to pay.

Super Christ
01-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Precisely.

Zante
01-01-2005, 02:00 PM
I think paing to play game you bought is silly. At least the game should be free, as it is unusable if you don't pay the monthly fee anyway.

yo momma
01-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Woah 30 dollars that can't be right my friend said it was like 10 a month maybe it said like 30 dollars every 3 months or something

White Raven
01-01-2005, 03:52 PM
When the games stop charging for online stuff is when I'll start playing them.

*goes back to playing WC3:FF and Diablo 2 online*

:)

§håd0w
01-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Heh, then I guess you'll never be playing them then.

Endless
01-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Do you think tech maintenance on the servers you play WoW on is free? That bandwidth is free? That the physical servers appeared out of thin air and didn't cost anything, complete with cabling and a lot of disk space?

Do you think that the game masters work for free? That the designers who add quests/levels/characters/dungeons/etc... do it for free?

Do you think that distributing the game in a box/colector's box costs $0 to Blizzard?

Did any of you (besides DG and SC) actually read the pricing info?

TasteyPies
01-02-2005, 12:24 AM
With some mmorpg the price reduces for different payment plans. Like pay 1/2 of a year ahead and only play $10 a month.

Doomgaze
01-02-2005, 03:04 AM
WoW doesn't get quite that cheap, but that was the low end of the price range I mentioned. $14.99 if you pay by the month, however.

escobert
01-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Did any of you (besides DG and SC) actually read the pricing info?
I did not and most likely never will as I never plan on buying the game. If it really costs $15 a month then that's fine as it is right where the other games are at. I just found it to be stupid to charge $30 when all the other games are $15. And guild wars has all that good stuff you mentioned and it will be free to play online ;)

Doomgaze
01-02-2005, 04:05 AM
as far as I know, Guild Wars plans on supporting itself by pumping out expansions (called chapters) like there's no tomorrow. I may be wrong, though.

Raistlin
01-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Which would suck just as much as a monthly charge does.

Anyway, WoW will just be the new EverQuest. Everyone will flock too it, which I'm grateful for, because the first peoples' attention that it will grab are the losers from other MMORPGs, so a better Ultima Online world for me.

People will play it, and within about 8 months to a year, people will begin to realize it sucks and that it's EQ with just a different name and no one has fun and that the only people that still play are completely obsessed and sleep-deprived. I know. I was once a sleep-deprived obsessed person playing EQ(played for about 8 months). Then I logged on UO once and realized how much else there is to playing an MMORPG than money and levels and items. Though it is occasionally sleep-depriving.

Meat Puppet
01-03-2005, 04:20 AM
If you get addicted to it, then paying regularly will seem like nothing. Just like crack!

Raistlin
01-03-2005, 04:27 AM
Indeed, it felt like nothing while I played EQ. However, also like crack, most people eventually wake up from the drug-induced haze and realize what retards they've been.

DMKA
01-03-2005, 04:59 AM
2) Wal-Mart is almost certainly not going to take back an open game.
.....................................................................................

You obviously haven't been to Wal Mart much.

Doomgaze
01-03-2005, 07:41 AM
*checks for mullet*

*mullet check negative*

No, I have not.

If this is true, though, it might be worth braving the unwashed masses to really rip Wal-Mart off.

DMKA
01-03-2005, 08:44 AM
*checks for mullet*

*mullet check negative*

No, I have not.

If this is true, though, it might be worth braving the unwashed masses to really rip Wal-Mart off.
:love:

Things I've returned to Wal Mart:

1) An opened, broken Lexmark 3 in 1 that I had for 3 months until my bro spilled Dr pepper on it and fried it. I got a brand new one.

2) Diablo II because when I opened it and put it in I realized the network firewall wouldn't allow me to play online. I got a full refund.

3) A CD player that I opened up and used for 3 days, then decided I didn't want it. I got a full refund.

4) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City after I played it for 2 months. I got a full refund.

5) A PS1 when I had it for almost a year and my bro broke it. I got a brand new one.

6) A PC mic that I broke on accident, and I deicided I didn't use anyway. I got a full refund.

7) Those cheap little $30 wannabe digi cams that take 640X480 crap images. I got a full refund both times which I took them back after usingf them for a week.

8) A television that was not plugged into a surge protector and got ruined by a storm while I was gone. I had it for 5 months. I got a brand new one.

9) Mario Sunshine that someone bought for me, but after playing it for 3 days I realized that I hated it. I got the money for it, thus I made money. :p

10) Many other things I can't remember at the moment.

I have never once been told "sorry, we can't take that back because *reason*" at Wal Mart. :D

escobert
01-03-2005, 09:24 AM
as far as I know, Guild Wars plans on supporting itself by pumping out expansions (called chapters) like there's no tomorrow. I may be wrong, though.

But you don't need to buy the chapters to play. You can just buy the initial game and never buy another chapter.

Doomgaze
01-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Yeah, theoretically. How many people will be able to resist new classes/armor/lands/etc, though? It's not a bad business model, really.

Raistlin
01-03-2005, 11:16 AM
But you don't need to buy the chapters to play. You can just buy the initial game and never buy another chapter.
Not necessarily. In most MMORPGs I've played(two of them), you've had to buy the majority of the expansions.

Doomgaze
01-03-2005, 07:07 PM
...which ones?

Raistlin
01-03-2005, 09:19 PM
The only two I've played: UO and EQ. :p

escobert
01-03-2005, 09:55 PM
This is from the guild wars site. "Am I required to buy the expansion packs to continue to play Guild Wars?

No. Every purchase you make in the continuation of the Guild Wars saga will be your choice. If you purchase expansion packs you will gain access to new regions of the world, new skills and abilities, new items, new professions, and much more. However, if you choose to not purchase a chapter, you will still be able to play the chapters of Guild Wars that you own, and you will have common areas in which you will be able to play with and against your friends who have purchased the other chapter(s)."

"Will I remain competitive if I do not buy the expansion packs? Will I be able to compete with and against others if I have only some of the Guild Wars chapters?

Yes. Purchasing the newer chapters of Guild Wars will not make you strictly more powerful. You will have access to many more strategic options, due to the expanding nature of the skills, abilities, items and professions that you enjoy with each chapter. It would be similar to building a deck in Magic: The Gathering™: The more cards you own, the more different playing decks that you can choose from to use in the game. When you buy the chapters of Guild Wars, you will acquire a larger collection of skills and abilities from which to build your skill set, but you will not gain more power. So if you purchase a chapter and your friend does not, you will still be able to play competitively against and with one another."