PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to shorten or remove the Guardian Forces sequences?

FinalBob42
12-31-2004, 05:30 PM
With a game setting, gameshark code, or something else?

Also, does anyone know any sites (besides gamefaqs.com) that have a very (very) basic tutorial on junctioning and drawing in the game and a guide to play the game without using guardian forces (assuming you have to watch their sequences every time).

rubah
12-31-2004, 06:05 PM
@.@ Just don't give anyone the GF ability. . .

They're not all that long. It's mostly so you can boost them and get their damage up tons higher. . .

TheSpoonyBard
01-01-2005, 02:45 PM
There is a way to get around the GF summoning sequence - don't summon them. Simple. They don't do much anyway. The game will give you a very basic tutorial regarding junctioning, and drawing is easy. Get into battle, select Draw, select enemy, select the magic you want, select Stock or Cast.

finalheaven
01-02-2005, 11:24 PM
lol yeah they are really long..eden man...i cloud probably go down and have dinner and by the time i got back..the dam thing would still be in sequence.there beautiful..but i got sick of summoning them..hmm..i dont think there is a way of getting round it sorry...but u dont relly need to summon them to be honest..u just need to junction them ^_^

Spatvark
01-03-2005, 03:04 AM
...why the crap would you want to shorten them? Eden was the only one I managed to max boost with before the animation finished... Eliminating the animations would make your GF's so much weaker...

BG-57
01-03-2005, 03:14 AM
I find GF's useful throughout the game for bosses and at the beginning of the game for random fights. But by the time you have the best GF's you can junction things like Auto-Haste, Initiative, and Stat-Atk-J, you can make mincemeat of most random enemies without resorting to summoning GF's.

Add the controller set to Memory and you can use brute force to pound away at the enemies until they're dead. At least that's my style of play. :D

ShivaBlizzard8
01-03-2005, 03:17 AM
I agree that the summoning sequences get tedious in during long battles (one of the reasons why I like X - you only have to summon Aeons once), but you can't shorten them - they occur in order for you to boost the GF's power. So don't watch the sequencs, start pounding away at that square button! :p

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 04:22 AM
I agree that the summoning sequences get tedious in during long battles (one of the reasons why I like X - you only have to summon Aeons once), but you can't shorten them Couldn't agree more. I honestly hate the boost feature for it causing that. It should be more like the power up + 10% +20% +30% abilities where it doesn't effect animation time. After rewriting the GF page on the frontsite (which won't be uploaded until the site revamp is done) you start to think like, man, it would be so much more convient if boost wasn't in the game.

rubah
01-03-2005, 04:48 AM
Yeah, but what if you want to use a GF that has a certain elemental attack so you don't completely kill an enemy?

If you're stronger than they are, and don't have item or magic junctioned, it can be sorta hard to take off hp without killing them. Solution? use quezacotl and shiva and the early ones and don't boost them.

one of my proudest accomplishments was boosting queza up to about 158. shiva doesn't get nearly as far, and hasn't yet.

But really, it was just a way to add interaction, at the cost of the tip of my left thumb. (it gets jammed really painfully into Select)

although it feels sorta cool when the vibration starts up and it rattles my teeth. because I have the other end of the controller against my chin. *shrugs* it's a fairly effective way of boosting.

FinalBob42
01-03-2005, 10:01 PM
What's that about using the square button to boost a guardian force's power? *sigh*

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 10:09 PM
Boost is an ability that most GF's have that takes 10 points to learn. After learnt, if you hold down select during a summon, theres a timed event where you can push square at the right times to boost power or at the wrong times to lower power. My first time through I didn't know about it either but the second time I learned about it and saw the incredible difference it makes.

PhoenixAsh
01-03-2005, 10:23 PM
To be honest if you don't know about boost, then I'm guessing you aren't going for a special type of play. In which case you really should be fine with HP-J and Str-J. I'm pretty sure you can give Squall both of those before leaving Garden. Leave characters on low health and keep pressing circle to get limit breaks, it's cheap, but Renzokuken with any kind of strength should walk you through the first three discs (Maybe four I usually stick at the end of disc three).

TheSpoonyBard
01-04-2005, 01:55 PM
one of my proudest accomplishments was boosting queza up to about 158. shiva doesn't get nearly as far, and hasn't yet
You should try harder :D I don't have a turbo controller and I manage to get Quezacotl to 180, Shiva gets about 200, Brothers and Siren can reach 220 on a good day, and most of the later GFs (Alexander, Bahamut, etc) average around 230. Just a note for FinalBob42 - Eden cannot be boosted higher than 255. Trying to do so will cause the counter to reset to 75. The same thing will happen if you try to boost while the white hand has a red X through it.

rubah
01-04-2005, 11:05 PM
. . .

Eden refuses to be boosted past 250. It just stops adding numbers, and it has never reset it as far as I've seen.

now I feel like testing that-_-

Just loaded ff8 and summoned Eden.

250 max. No matter how many times I pushed square (when the red X wasn't there) it stayed on 250.

Don't know what version of the game you're playing:)

and now I must return to my dead imp. (those things are annoying-- they kept casting berserk on rinoa -_- and before that it was two stupid couerl things. I forget what they're called in ff8. kept casting lvl 5 death -_-)

Quistis Trepe
01-05-2005, 04:24 PM
You can only shorten the sequences in FFX. I recommend not using GFs at all. I don't mean not junctioning them, just not using the GF ability in battle!

Rampala
01-20-2005, 12:56 AM
...why the crap would you want to shorten them? Eden was the only one I managed to max boost with before the animation finished... Eliminating the animations would make your GF's so much weaker...

Really good point. I mean, if you don't want you use the boost ability that's one thing. But, if you do you need the introductions.

This is actually one of the Official FAQs on Square's site, and their reply was ecenssially: "No. Deal with it or don't summon them." I guess they got a lot of complaints about that one. :p

ShivaBlizzard8
01-20-2005, 05:22 AM
LOL - that makes sense, given how FF9's intros are a LOT shorter and have abbreviated versions.

BG-57
01-20-2005, 11:35 PM
And in FFIX you can equip abilities to get the longer summons, but I don't bother with them.

BTW, Jumbo Cactaur is perfect for those who hate boosting and long summon times. It's fast, doesn't need boosting, and does the second-best damage for any GF.

Skyblade
02-18-2005, 01:26 AM
and now I must return to my dead imp. (those things are annoying-- they kept casting berserk on rinoa -_- and before that it was two stupid couerl things. I forget what they're called in ff8. kept casting lvl 5 death -_-)

Are you referring to Toramas? (Just check the Torama card if you're not sure)

I like the animations, personally (All save Pandemona, which I don't like that much [I didn't like Typhoon in FFVII either. I guess wind summons just aren't that good :D ]). Tonberry's is hilarious, and most of the others are beautiful.

One thing about the Boosting technique mentioned by Rubah:

Yeah, but what if you want to use a GF that has a certain elemental attack so you don't completely kill an enemy?

If you're stronger than they are, and don't have item or magic junctioned, it can be sorta hard to take off hp without killing them. Solution? use quezacotl and shiva and the early ones and don't boost them.

Usually you can be even more effecient than this. Start boosting them, and press the Square button while the X is over the hand. It will drop the GF's power to 75, giving you a larger safety margin when you want to weaken but not kill enemies.

kawakami Gensai
02-18-2005, 02:54 AM
Hey while your on the GF topic how do you get the catuar GF? I didnt even know it existed.

BG-57
02-18-2005, 03:21 AM
South of Esthar you'll find a large desert island and small desert island togther. Land on the small one and equip Enc-None. Run around the island. See the little green guy that appears on the world map from time to time? That's Jumbo Cactuar. If you collide with him, you get into a boss fight with him.

If you beat him, you get the Cactuar summon. A mastered Cactuar does the greatest amount of GF damage second only to Eden, but he's much faster to summon. Definately worthwhile!

rubah
02-18-2005, 03:45 AM
don't they start at 75 anyways?

But I was referring to how if you were witful, you could get the number of times to boost down pat to do fairly consistant damage. I think, that was about a month ago^_^

And I was referring to toramas, yes. Coeurl is from playing ffx before these, and for some reason it's easier to remember faster^_^

(although now I wonder why heart had an l added to it, now that I've been in french for a whileX.x yay square and their play on foreign words)

Skyblade
02-18-2005, 05:58 AM
don't they start at 75 anyways?

But I was referring to how if you were witful, you could get the number of times to boost down pat to do fairly consistant damage. I think, that was about a month ago^_^

And I was referring to toramas, yes. Coeurl is from playing ffx before these, and for some reason it's easier to remember faster^_^

(although now I wonder why heart had an l added to it, now that I've been in french for a whileX.x yay square and their play on foreign words)

If you do no boosting at all, they will be at 100. The number is a percentage of the total damage done without boosting. When you start boosting, the damage percentage starts at 75 (And I'm not sure if the first button press raises it or not, if it does it will effectively start at 76. I'll check this tomarrow), but if you don't boost at all, it will be 100%.

Yes, you can. That is especially true if you are dealing with level 100 GFs that have all of their GF Mag +% abilities learned. If you are using a GF for steady damage, and it levels up or learns GF Mag +30%, you will wind up having to recalculate everything.

Yes, that was why I recognized Coerul as Torama. I've played the other games, this one is just my favorite. Why they changed it for this one I don't know, especially since they changed it back for FFX, FFX-2, and FFTA.

Not sure what you mean by the last statement (the one in parens). Could you elaborate please?

Kawakami Gensei, don't bother equipping Enc-None. All you'll find on that island are cactuars, who usually run away, never do more than 1000 points of damage at a time, and who yield a whopping 20 AP each if you kill them (give Squall the Initiative ability, and Selphie if you have the Strange Vision. They evade like crazy, so only really accurate characters can hit them. Squall should be able to one hit kill them though). When you face Jumbo, draw Meltdown and cast it on him, then use Renzokuken. Each Renzokuken will hit 7 times (Jumbo Cactuar is one of the bosses where the Renzokuken strike count and timing is set), and he shouldn't last more than 3 if Squall has a decent Strength rating.

BG-57
02-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Without Enc-None you'll have to plow through random encounters before fighting Jumbo Cactuar. It'll take longer. I prefer to keep my boss fighting and leveling up of the party separate, but whatever works best for you.

BTW, Cactuars and Jumbo Cactuar are both weak against water, so junctioning Water to Elem-Atk increases the damage. Leviathan, being water based, also does a lot of damage.

rubah
02-18-2005, 10:24 PM
it'll take like, one encounter unless you're really bad at catching him.

you won't level up if you run into a cactuar. Not unless you're at 987 exp. they give like 3 a piece.

By the last one, I meant that the word coeur in french is heart, isn't it? coeurl? heartl?

But I dunno.

And every time you push to start boosting but don't, it always looks like it's at 75 to me. I don't think it's a percent? I think it's added onto their stats? But I really dont' know? Because I never notice failing to boost when you push it once or twice doing less damage? *shrugs* but i really don't know.

Skyblade
02-18-2005, 11:34 PM
It is a percentage (and you're right, it starts at 75). At 250 the GF will do 250% of its normal damage. This is why boosting is not a guaranteed bonus. If you press the square button while the X is on the screen, it will drop the GF's power to 75% of it's normal strength. This is why the GF's can all be boosted to at least 150. If it was just a number added on, then the first ones could've had a shorter sequence and only be boosted from 75 to 100 or so. They made them all able to boost to 150 so that it is worth the risk of boosting them, because you might lower their strength. Test it out, and pay attention to the numbers if you don't believe me.

ravob
02-19-2005, 10:29 PM
As most have stated there is no way to get rid of GF cutscene.
But it is faster and easier to beat almost any monster/boss just by junction of good magic, and keep Squall low health so he can limit break them to death.

For people who have not played and beat the game (minority), some of the cutscenes are worth watching EX: Tonberry's is funny, Edens is very long but is amazing, and Diablos is very cool.

Skyblade
02-20-2005, 12:54 AM
As most have stated there is no way to get rid of GF cutscene.
But it is faster and easier to beat almost any monster/boss just by junction of good magic, and keep Squall low health so he can limit break them to death.

For people who have not played and beat the game (minority), some of the cutscenes are worth watching EX: Tonberry's is funny, Edens is very long but is amazing, and Diablos is very cool.

"Doink!" :D

Actually, having any of the characters at low health can get you through the game easy. Quistis has Degenerator and Shockwave Pulsar, Selphie has everything from Full-Cure to The End, Irvine has his awesome ammo shots, Zell has the limitless damage combo, Rinoa has Invincible Moon, Wishing Star, and the awesome Meteor-Angel Wing combo. Anyone's limit breaks can do more than the GFs can.

kawakami Gensai
02-20-2005, 06:18 AM
I dont know about that, Skyblade, a high level GF can really kick some butt, and you can use it many times over, as opposed to the Limit Break which can be exuasted fairly quick. Also leaving characters at low health is not recommendable. What if something casts like berserk on your whole party? Then you may be fairly screwed.

Skyblade
02-20-2005, 07:26 AM
Well, that's what I use Stat-Def Junction for... :D

Your point is well taken. I was just pointing out that Squall is not the only one who can unleash massive devestation with his limit break. All of the characters have the capability to inflict major damage. And unlike the GFs, there is no summon time (in fact, they happen ASAP after they are selected).

BG-57
02-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Aura allows access to limit breaks without compromising the party's health. Although I use it only for tougher bosses like Ultima Weapon.

rubah
02-20-2005, 07:47 PM
Aura takes an extra turn to cast though. and you don't have it in the beginning of the game as much (plus if you've got it junctioned after you cast about four or five, your stat starts to drop)

The most useful way is probably just leaving squall in critical. Although I think in a successive game I'll use quistis for everything, mostly to keep squall's level down so I can pump his stats more later on:)

aura with rinoa with auto haste with speed+ with topnotch magic is definitely good for more than just bosses.

elnoyles come to mind. they're friggin' annoying to kill, but a few angel wings with meltdown, lvl3 magic and the occaisional flare/meteor/ultima really helps to take those suckers down fast. Energy crystals for all!

now, what was the way to junction auto-aura again? ;)

seiyuimore
02-20-2005, 11:00 PM
Well, thru my game, I only junction the GFs and never used them and I still survive. Once only I used each of them to watch the short CGI but then its fine.

I think Summoning GFs frequently could increase your GFs compability and you will no need to wait for the ATB to go down. Once my Squall managed to have 1000 compability for Shiva, and when I summon Shiva, it only need 2 seconds to wait for the ATB (The action Bar for GF summoning)

Skyblade
02-21-2005, 05:21 AM
Yes. That's 2 seconds that wouldn't be there if you used a limit break. What's more, the limit break is always the next attack used, even if other characters had other moves selected first. The limit breaks activate immeadiately. Yeah, it's not much of a difference, but it can be those 2 seconds to summon Eden that let Omega let off a Terra Break that kills you, while a Shockwave Pulsar would have saved your @$$. Even seconds count.

BG-57
02-21-2005, 05:12 PM
elnoyles come to mind. they're friggin' annoying to kill, but a few angel wings with meltdown, lvl3 magic and the occaisional flare/meteor/ultima really helps to take those suckers down fast. Energy crystals for all!

You can also junction 100 Deaths to Stat-Atk and get an insta-kill that way.

rubah
02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Um, Skyblade, wouldn't eden block the attack so that you'd still be alive? Or at least whoever was summoning? And you're assuming you're within ~ of killing omega anyways:)

and I've got all my deaths junctioned to luck anyways-- who wants to play the easy way anyways? ^^;;;;

Skyblade
02-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Um, Skyblade, wouldn't eden block the attack so that you'd still be alive? Or at least whoever was summoning? And you're assuming you're within ~ of killing omega anyways:)

and I've got all my deaths junctioned to luck anyways-- who wants to play the easy way anyways? ^^;;;;

Actually, I'm not sure that Eden would. Agreed, I could have thought of a better example (and I probably would have if I hadn't had a splitting headache), but Terra Break is a multi-hit move. Couldn't it kill Eden and then continue to hit you, killing you as well? Even if not, it would reset your ATB gauge, and Omega might get in another move before you can try another attack.

Anyway, what I'm trying to point out is that the few seconds it takes to summon a GF might be the few seconds that take you from victory to defeat. If you need lots of damage done quickly, Limit Breaks are a better bet than GFs. GFs are powerful, and very useful (and they look cool as hell), but the Limit Breaks are faster and often do more damage. Of course, with GFs you don't have to worry about the command not coming up when you need it, since the GF command is always there if you junction it, and you don't need to be at low health to use the GF command. So, as I said, each has its purpose.