PDA

View Full Version : Don't you hate being social?

Dingo Jellybean
12-31-2004, 06:47 PM
I mean, IRL.

I'm usually not good around people. I can hardly look them in the eye. My family is just so damn social though. I'm always the odd one out.

I don't know why, but when my family asks me to eat out with them, I just get so angry. To some people, it's a fun occassion, to me...it's almost hell. I mean I like talking to just my friends(I only have a few), but other than that...I hate large groups. I.E., more than 4 people. My family thinks I'm "shady"(whatever the hell that means), and they say I should spend time with them because they're my family. I know I might get slack for this, but why should I spend time with them? I hardly know them, and just because they're my family doesn't mean I have to spend time with them. Then my mother gets angry with me because I didn't want to go to NY and complains that I never go anywhere(which is true, if you don't count friends' house, school, work). She has like, a billion friends...I have my life to worry about, since I pay my own tuition. She even gets angry at me for getting a delivery job...ALL BECAUSE I WANT TO SUPPORT MYSELF. Am I living in bizarro world? I mean, isn't trying to support myself without leaching off my mother a good thing? Tell me I'm right on this.

Personally, I like my friends more than my family. Even if they don't feel the same way that I do. Can't I just go to work and go to school in peace? But eh...maybe I'm making too much of this.

Del Murder
12-31-2004, 06:56 PM
I hate it when I'm forced to do it. When people don't start expecting me to say something is when I will be able to talk to them normally. This, of course, will never happen.

DMKA
12-31-2004, 06:58 PM
First of all, thank you for making an interesting thread in general chat since I'm banned from EoEO. :love:

Second, I can really feel you on the family thing. I can't spend time with my family willingly, though my reasons are most likely completely different from your's. I like going out with people and socializing, but I think I'm more accustomed to keeping to myself the majority of the time.

Do crowds and mobs count as large groups of people? I love mobs and crowds.

12-31-2004, 07:05 PM
im like the total opposite. my familys like anti-social and i always try to get them to go out once in a while but all they want to do is stay home and watch tv. we never watched a movie together or anything like that. and they dont like it when i go out to see my friends. or whenever my friends over at my house, they just ask me when theyre leaving.

Craig
12-31-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm quite similar to you Dingo, but I don't get angry when i'm asked to go places with my family I just feel very uncomfortable and my mum hassles me to get a job, not because I have one.

Xander
12-31-2004, 07:31 PM
I dislike social situations quite a lot unless I know the people really well and/or it's just a few people. I'd rather avoid them though. I usually just can't relax. Although sometimes a few drinks help that (not that I like to drink too much). I mostly just feel really uncomfortable around a lot of people though.

Craig
12-31-2004, 07:35 PM
I dislike social situations quite a lot unless I know the people really well and/or it's just a few people. I'd rather avoid them though. I usually just can't relax. Although sometimes a few drinks help that (not that I like to drink too much). I mostly just feel really uncomfortable around a lot of people though.

It's like looking into a mirror.

bennator
12-31-2004, 07:38 PM
I hate being forced into social gatherings like parties, or family gatherings...I just always feel uptight, and uncomfortable, like I need to be "performing" for the crowd in order to fit in.

theundeadhero
12-31-2004, 07:41 PM
When I was in your situation years ago I felt the same way. My family wan't the most sociable but at times they went out to dinner with friends. Going out to good food is always the plus. Being in the uncomfortable position all night and not saying much isn't too fun. Everyone just assumed that it was shyness that kept me from talking but thats not it at all. I'm only comfortable in small groups of my firends or by myself. It was kinda a 50/50 split though cause if you stay home with nothing to do your going to be bored all night. What I find amusing is that so many people in the real word are shy but when they come here it doesn't show much. What is it about this place that lowers our inhibitions?

Female Ryuichi
12-31-2004, 07:43 PM
If I'm being 'forced' into it, I really don't like it, or if I don't know anyone.

Of course, with a smallish group of friends, I'm on fire :love:

Polyonymous
12-31-2004, 08:14 PM
i dont like to socialize in real life, i dont know why... im kinda shy i guess, not quite sure. my family doesnt bother me though, we hardly do anything together at all, we dont even eat together. i have no problem at all socializing over AIM or MSN though, i dont get it. its the worst when i am in a small group, because it seems to me like i need to add to the conversation somehow. when i am in bigger groups i feel a lot more comfortable, cause i dont feel like i need to say anything. so i dont.

YunaGirl05
01-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Most people like me. but i find lots of people annoying.

Kirobaito
01-01-2005, 01:15 AM
Meh. I'm not up for doing anything, really. I'm not gonna complain about going out though, once in awhile.

Tonight, I have to go to a church lock-in. I don't have any friends at my church (I'm Baptist, and strictly so, and all of my friends are either atheistic, agnostic, or other denominations, so I can't change churches). Doing social things with my church is difficult because I've always considered myself different from them. Perhaps it's because I'm a cynical Christian. So tonight will be difficult. There will be a DDR tournament, though, so I can dominate there (no one else there plays it, so it'll look like I'm dominating, compared to them).

Agent Proto
01-01-2005, 01:25 AM
I can be social with people I am familiar with. If it's with a bunch of stangers, I would cringe at the thought. I'm not very social with strangers I don't know.

Dking'squeen
01-01-2005, 01:36 AM
For some reason, the only people that i really like to talk to are my cousins Janay and Shana. At family gatherings, our moms call us unsocial because we don't feel comfortable around them. I don;t like it when they try to get e to talk, that only makes me even more uncomfortable, and since I'm already scared that what i say sometimes makes me look stupid. Besides my cousins, my best friends are the other people i can speak freely and not feel stupid. I don't really talk to my mom and family because they'll look at me like, "wtf is wrong with you?" so i just keep my mouth shut.

Ryth
01-01-2005, 02:02 AM
It isn't easy for me it isn't fun especially around the oppisote sex that seem to like to stare at me which makes me very uncomfortable. It's much easier here on the net when people can't see you and you can edit beofre anyone can see or erase. So I hate to soicalize.

rubah
01-01-2005, 03:59 AM
I don't like the idea of getting out of the house-- it's a lot of trouble and worry, and yeah.

So while I enjoy *doing* stuff, it's just a lot of hassle;_;

I'm sure there's some sort disorder you could classify that as, but I don't want to. I'll just keep saying 'no' (my friend eventually told me that I didn't have to make up excuses if I didn't want to do stuff, but I still find it hard to say a straight no. Except to her sister. her sister is weird.)

Mr. Graves
01-01-2005, 04:04 AM
I find that it depends on the person, and how well I know them. I can strike it up with a stranger if I really wanted to, but I just don't have the attitude for that to just come naturally, y'know? Taking in a group if people I don't know is when the fear really takes over.

DMKA
01-01-2005, 04:42 AM
If I'm being 'forced' into it, I really don't like it, or if I don't know anyone.

Of course, with a smallish group of friends, I'm on fire :love:
Yep, smae here. We should be a smallish group of friends. :love:

Mirage
01-01-2005, 05:04 AM
I can be social with people I am familiar with. If it's with a bunch of stangers, I would cringe at the thought. I'm not very social with strangers I don't know.

What about strangers you do know? :P

Me? I'm pretty much antisocial. I rarely go to parties, and I prefer knowing those who are around me and talk to me rather good, I also don't make new friends quickly. Most of my old friends don't live nearby anymore either :/.
I don't have a problem with being at a mall for example, where most people don't know each other and mind their own business for most of the time.
I have no problem spending time with my family though. I live alone when I'm studying, and it's good to come back home like 3-4 times a year.

Silmaril
01-01-2005, 08:05 PM
I like to go to social gatherings where I know and like people. I get on great with most of my cousins so I like when my family gets together. I like going out with my friends but I don't mind a family outing.

I dislike going to parties or gatherings of my parent's friend's coz it's guarranteed to be boring.

boris no no
01-01-2005, 08:19 PM
i really hate being with people i don't know. it makes it hard to make friends :cry: i have very few
my family arn't really close at all. the thought of us all going out??? too horrible. i've just had a home cooked meal with my whole family...the third one in a year...one other was at christmas
the friends i do have have to be wary of me though. i hate being in places i don't know which is a pain when i'm on a night out i have to go home which is a £20 taxi journey
i can't go up to people and talk, because i know that they woudn't want to talk to me :cry:
plus i make a fool of myself all the time