PDA

View Full Version : Best story?

FinalBob42
12-31-2004, 10:14 PM
I personally like Final Fantasy 7's story. It has a nice background scenario and some interesting plot twists.

DaggerFlux
01-01-2005, 12:02 AM
i liked 10s story best

but i wud say that cuz its my fave game of all time lol

Alexander
01-01-2005, 01:25 AM
You can feel like killing me, cutting my head off, etc, but I voted FFIX.

DaggerFlux
01-01-2005, 01:47 AM
You can feel like killing me, cutting my head off, etc, but I voted FFIX.

that was actually my favourate one untill X came along lol

Ryth
01-01-2005, 01:51 AM
I say FFVII is the best. It's great.

Lon611
01-01-2005, 02:42 AM
i liked 10s story best

but i wud say that cuz its my fave game of all time lol

that was actually my favourate one untill X came along lol

wow. no1 has ever completely said what i wanted to say before. lol

i think ffvii is too rushed and sometimes confusing. there were times i don't remember wth they were talking about...ie...dio. but i think vii comes in second to ffx

EDIT:i messed up quoting u the second time daggerflux, but it actually looks kinda kewl :p

Lord Chainsaw
01-01-2005, 07:09 AM
I had to go with Final Fantasy Tactics on this one

Not to be confused with my favorite story, which would happen to be Final Fantasy VII.

theundeadhero
01-01-2005, 07:57 AM
Tactics. No doubt about it. Deep political and religous overtones make this the greateest FF story in my opinion.

Wolfmeister
01-01-2005, 04:35 PM
FF VI.

Very rich in story and characters' past, personality, and the development. There are death, sad memories, sad tragedy, mad ambitions, love, sudden betrayal, humanity, and mystery!, etc.

Garnet236
01-02-2005, 04:35 AM
I voted FF9

Cless
01-02-2005, 05:19 AM
FFVI

For the same reasons mentioned by Wolfmeister.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-02-2005, 05:34 AM
7 :)

maybe because it was the first ff i played and finish and i will never forget it...but as for the story goes i loved it....im in the middle of 6 but i lost my memory card while moving houses!! :(

Lain
01-02-2005, 12:29 PM
I say FFVII is the best. It's great.

Chris
01-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Final Fantasy VII has the best story of 'em all, but my favorite Final Fantasy has to be a tie between FVII and FVIII.

louby_4eva
01-02-2005, 05:18 PM
I voted for FFIX. Really hard choice though, between VIII IX and X.

Martyr
01-03-2005, 04:40 AM
I voted FF1. Maybe it doesn't exactly have the BEST story, but it definately has the most detailed and intensively written story and plotline.

J.D
01-03-2005, 05:08 AM
FF VII For Sure
That Was Just The Right Story For FF Players At That Time ^__^

Lon611
01-03-2005, 09:03 PM
I voted FF1. Maybe it doesn't exactly have the BEST story, but it definately has the most detailed and intensively written story and plotline.

sarcasm?i can't tell, lol

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 09:50 PM
If a little imagination is put into it instead of just reading the lines I could see that. The game doesn't spell out every detail but it gives a good overview and leaves the rest for you to conclude.

*~Nirvana~*
01-04-2005, 09:50 AM
I voted X simply because I thought it was the best. It was, in a certain way - quite simplistic and to me it was like a breath of fresh air(after bombarding my fragile brain with complicated storylines, etc,etc of other games I played before). It wasn't quite so simple until you could classify it as the typical "sacrifice your life and save the world" kind of thing. And I really enjoyed it as well, so X got my vote :)

ForsakenStrife
01-08-2005, 06:20 PM
FF7 has the best story the others just don't compare.

Yuffie514
01-09-2005, 07:59 AM
i like FF8's 'cause it has the happiest ending (well, so does FF9). FF-10 is among the saddest.

RedCydranth
01-13-2005, 08:19 AM
Tactics with ease.

One thing I find funny is that while I post this there is a thread pittig FF games against each other. It seems that FFX and tactics are getting voted out, but yet a lot of people are voting them to have the best story lines.

So my question is why are you voting X and Tactics out of that thread but here say those games are great?

At this point the best story goes to FFX
Second FF7, Third tie between Tactics and 8

So, out of those 4 top storylined games 8 is already voted out and T and X are soon to be gone. What is your criteria for greatest game?

One Highly resounding question in my mind is HOW IS FF3 STILL NOT VOTED OUT??????

turnitup5000db
01-13-2005, 10:12 AM
It was close to a three way tie, but in the end, I had to give FFIV the gold and let VII and Tactics split the silver. Yeah, tactics was a very rich, detailed, and twisty turny storyline, and yes, VII never let you know what was really going on untill the end, and even then you weren't sure. But neither of their stories stuck in my head the same way IV did. It had some seriously great characters, and the main point in its favor is that you can look at the story from different angles and find different themes staring back at you. It wasn't graphically very pretty (though I'm trying to fix that with a re-write, see the "my little project" thread if you want more info) but if it had been done with the same graphics and script detail level of FFVII or VIII, it would be a must in every gamers library.

Tama2
01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
I really liked FF7. It brought a tear to my eye when RedXIII found out who his father really was and when he saw him. :cry:

Memorylight
01-13-2005, 04:18 PM
My favorite game is FF7, 8 and 10... To hard to choose so I just chose out the ones that are my three favories....

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/yamahaman/lostboy/ff8gifs/Fuujin.gif (http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php3?client=SorceressKnight)
You are Fuujin! You've dealt with a lot of problems, and may
be more introverted now than you once were. The wounds have
healed but scars are still there. You've got a bit of a temper,
which might make it hard for you to form lasting friendships.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here! (http://www.selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php3?client=SorceressKnight)

Mirage
01-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Final Fantasy 6.

BudSoda02
01-13-2005, 06:00 PM
FFVII
FFVI
FF Tactics
FFIX
FFX
FFV
FFX-2
FFIV
No place for: FFI, FFII & FFIII
Thanks- BudSoda02 BudSoda02@yahoo.com

mythus
01-13-2005, 09:55 PM
FF VI Hands down!
Who could not like a story with Kefka in it?

Sr. Tobias
01-13-2005, 10:10 PM
I chose 7, but I never played fft, nor cc... and I never played th ffs prior to 7 thoroughly, so I'm not sure... I think 6 would be runner up, if I had finished it, but there might be some stupid turn of events I haven't come across yet that would ruin everything...

plz, tell me there isn't...

finalheaven
01-13-2005, 11:20 PM
ohhh a tie between 7 and x...^_^ well 7 always have and will does it for me ..did i say that right?annway i 7 IMO has the best storyline..so dark and twisted and deep.ff8 had a nice story but too love concentrated ..^_^

Croyles
01-16-2005, 12:25 AM
1st choice: FF10
2nd: FF7
3rd: FF8
4th: FF9
The worst in the world: FFX-2

Del Murder
01-22-2005, 10:58 PM
Tactics. No doubt about it. Deep political and religous overtones make this the greateest FF story in my opinion.
:up:

Sepho
01-22-2005, 11:08 PM
FF6, for reasons more or less explained by everyone else that has already voted for it. FF7's story is just recycled from that of FF6, and FF8's is quite good (but FF6 still beats it out). I've played through FF9 three times, and I still have no clue where I stand its story. Finally, the story of FF10... Um, no.

I still have to finish Tactics.

Destai
01-25-2005, 06:24 PM
VII no doubt.

Slade
01-25-2005, 10:25 PM
My fav is FF8's story :D

bkkguy
01-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Disclaimer: I only play FF8 until the end of Disc 1, the plot is quite good but that doesn't count because I haven't finnished it yet.

The best story for me has to be FFT but three of my favorite stories are FF6, FF9, and FF 10

Dreddz
01-26-2005, 07:44 PM
I chose FF9 It had a very good simple story. This was a calming game after the screamingly confusing FF7-8 stories which had my brain twisting all over the place. If not then FF1 as it didnt have the complex storys of all the characters unlike others. Dont know why people chose FF10 . It had a stupid story. Time travel??? What have then FF writers been thinking

rubah
01-26-2005, 11:48 PM
*coughs*

Time travel? In ffx?

Go replay it.

strawberryman
01-26-2005, 11:56 PM
Of course that might be because this was the authors last hope for video game survival. Had we not loved FF1, there would be no later FF's ,or in fact Eyes on Final Fantasy!AHHHHH! Just thinking about it scares me!

kikimm
01-27-2005, 02:34 AM
Ugh, don't make me do this. All of the ones that I've played (minus FF1...*sigh*...) have had wonderful stories. Beautiful. That's what I play these games for. My favorite is, of course, VIII, but X, IX, and VII have excellent stories as well. X, because it was different---tragic, which I love. VII, for the same reason. IX....I don't know what it is about IX, but it is great. The characters are excellent, the villain just might be the best out of them all....it isn't as depressing as I would like it, but with those people, and the setting, the cheery vibe works better, and to its advantage.

Hell, I'll just go with VIII, since the story's the reason why it's my favorite.

:D

Sepho
01-27-2005, 01:10 PM
I chose FF9 It had a very good simple story. This was a calming game after the screamingly confusing FF7-8 stories which had my brain twisting all over the place. If not then FF1 as it didnt have the complex storys of all the characters unlike others. Dont know why people chose FF10 . It had a stupid story. Time travel??? What have then FF writers been thinking

For the record, time travel worked splendidly in Chrono Trigger. Ocarina of Time also had a bit of time travel and was incorporated quite well. However, there is no such element in FFX; I think you may be confused.

But I won't disagree that FFX's story is really rather horrible - it lacked any amount of depth at all with the addition of voice acting and the incredible reduction of dialogue. I can't believe it's 1 vote short of tying with second place. But then again, I'm saddened that FF7 is in the lead also.

Destai
02-05-2005, 01:54 AM
I really liked X and VII. Now VII is just naturally brill so I wont bother commenting on it. In X I thought the voice acting was good for so much dialogue and they suited the characters well. What I didnt like about the story was the way there was several groups of summoners with the same mission while in other FF's you played an individual group with a mission but the plain story became much more detailed throughout the game. um..yup

Apollo
02-05-2005, 02:40 AM
I voted for VI.I loved that game so much.the story was great,I could really feel for the characters.My second favorite FF storyline would be (please don't kill me!)FFII.I guess I just have a thing for a band of rebels fighting against an oppressive empire, And as you can tell from my sig,I love maria! :p

Destai
02-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Rebels against an empire sounds like ALOT of FF's. II, IV, VI, VII, IX, and in slight ways, VIII and X.

Destination0
02-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I am surprised to see FFT getting very few votes...
I think it had the best story of all FF series...
everyone thinks that delta is hero in the war...and the real hero was someone else...
It was full of surprises, betrayal, etc...
FF7 is so overrated...may be a good game but defiantly not the best story...

feioncastor
02-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics has the best story, and anyone who has played all the way through it must think so.

For those who selected FF7 or higher, I'm curious if you all ever really played FF1-6.

I just want to remind all of you FFX fans out there that they made 6 of them before FF7 came out.

Jeez, I'll shut up now.

Feion

Destai
02-05-2005, 09:09 PM
Im not interested in how great FFT was mainly because Square wasnt interested in letting me or any other europeans play it.

VI was a great game but I prefer VII.

V was a mediocre game and VII's better

IV was alright, VII was great,

II was BAD, VII wasnt

I was amusing but not that great, I pick VII.

VII wins.

rubah
02-06-2005, 06:34 AM
Feion, I started with ff5 if it makes you happy.

And I've played all three of the snes ones (and most of ff2^_^)

I still like ff8 best though:)

ff4 is dull. I can't say much for it.

Quina
02-08-2005, 04:15 AM
I think FFIX had the best story. Well, ok that looks obvious, but it really did. Best love story, well-developed lead character, awesome villain with his own inner conflict, multiple worlds, it's got it all!

turnitup5000db
02-08-2005, 12:42 PM
This was something RUBAH said.

Feion, I started with ff5 if it makes you happy.

And I've played all three of the snes ones (and most of ff2^_^)

I still like ff8 best though

ff4 is dull. I can't say much for it.

I simply fail to understand how ANYONE could find FFIV dull. Yes, the translation was mangled and the script itself could definitely use a re-write, but if you look at just the straight up plot... hell, the characters were interesting, the interactions were definitely there, even if a little garbled... the story was twisty turny with political intrigue and several unlikely alliances on both sides... if it had better dialogue and graphics, I have a feeling that most of the FF community would be on their knees worshiping it. Second, maybe third best overall if you look at it from that point of view, but no lower than that, certainly, and DEFINITELY an overlooked game.

rubah
02-08-2005, 11:56 PM
*Shrugs*

The graphics were fine. I just thought it was boring, for most of the same reasons that I think ff9 is.

I'm just not a medieval fan, I guess.

Dark Warrior
02-09-2005, 12:50 AM
I think that all FF storylines are great (1-9), (I didn't played 10, 10-2, tactics,... yet) But my vote is for FF2, cause has a really great moments.

I think that all of us had to imagine every FF like a book (a really good one). In that way we don't make the desition based in graphics or something else.

****IF YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ANYTHING OF WHAT I'M SAYING******
****IS CAUSE MY ENGLISH SUCKS (sorry)***********************

Faith
02-10-2005, 04:55 AM
1st) FF VI
2nd) FF X
3rd) FF 7
Worst)FF 8

The Man
02-10-2005, 02:14 PM
IV, closely followed by VI. IV has the most interesting character interactions, by far.

Destai
02-10-2005, 04:24 PM
I have to ask, How?

The Man
02-10-2005, 04:38 PM
Because virtually all the characters in the plot have a tremendous amount of interaction with each other. Cecil stole Rosa, the girlfriend of Kain, who gets mind-controlled by Golbeza, who kills the girlfriend of Edward, who incited Tellah's wrath for stealing his daughter, and it goes on and on and on. All the characters have strong reasons to like or dislike one another; if any of the characters had been absent, the game would have changed significantly. Which is a big change from the other games, because let's face it, if Cait Sith or Umaro had been written out, all we'd lose is a couple of side quests.

Destai
02-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Point taken.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 05:18 PM
definatly VII the story is brilliant great sidequests and most of the Characters are the best ever X was excellent but it ties with VIII yes i have played I,II,IV and VI and still find modern FFs better

BEST: VII
2nd. X
3rd: VIII

feioncastor
02-11-2005, 06:17 PM
I hafta ask now At what point do you learn that Rosa was originally with Kain? I know that Kain tries to steal her from Cecil, while she's being held in the tower of Zot, but I never heard anything about Cecil stealing her from Kain...

Feion

Destai
02-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Same here, Ive never heard anything like that.

ShivaBlizzard8
02-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Top Three:
1. FF10
2. FF6
3. FF7

GooeyToast
02-11-2005, 07:01 PM
FF7 definetly has the most well developed and well written story out of all the ff's, and pretty much every other rpg. The chracters were classic, each with their own backrounds and distinct personalities. And also, they all were in your party for a reason. The story was so very complex and intriguing that you kept wanting to play it for days on end (at least I did) and the game opened up so many diiferent conclusions as to what went on (along with numerous twists).

I did love ff6, f9, and ff8's story, but I felt that in 8 the love story with Rinoa and Squall just popped up somewhere in the middle of disc 2 and all of a sudden, Squall had feelings towards Rinoa without any real reason. Did anyone else notice this while playing?

I felt that 6 and 9 were tied for second because both had great villians with reasonable motives, along with superb charcter interaction and great settings.

10 was very good by its own right, but the characters just weren't as endearing to me as 6,7,8 or 9 was. The story was well written and had its own dramatic and sad parts, but it just wasn't as memorable s the previous installments.

I have yet to complete 4 because I'm stuck in the game (it's freakin' hard!), but what I've played of it, it wasn't bad by any means. I haven't played fft yet and I'm not sure if I ever will (I'm not really into strategy games).

All in all, my favorite stories are as listed.

1. ff7
2. ff9 and ff6
3. ff8
4. ff10

Feel free to post your opinions on my views.

Shoden
02-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Rosa and Cecil where always together in the game kain was never involved with Rosa if you think so give me proof and quotes

The Man
02-12-2005, 11:33 PM
It's a detail that was included in the Foundation Guide, a written supplement to the game that was released only in Japan. I made several threads about it years ago, but they're doubtless pruned by now.

Destai
02-13-2005, 01:27 AM
Is it a lifetime of hardwork to learn to speak japanese :( ??

The Man
02-13-2005, 05:55 PM
I have no idea; I've only had the existence of the mentioning of this relationship in the Foundation Guide confirmed to my by multiple independent sources, and since it fits nicely with the awkward scenes with Kain and Rosa throughout the game, I'm able to believe it. I wish I could speak Japanese, sometimes, but it would just be too much effort, I think xD

Sepho
02-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I really liked X and VII. Now VII is just naturally brill so I wont bother commenting on it. In X I thought the voice acting was good for so much dialogue and they suited the characters well. What I didnt like about the story was the way there was several groups of summoners with the same mission while in other FF's you played an individual group with a mission but the plain story became much more detailed throughout the game. um..yup

Ah, I should have mentioned that voice acting in general is just something I don't care for; it's just personal preference. I prefer sans-voice dialogue in RPGs for the same reason that most people who like books better than movies, like books better than movies. Voice acting forces voices and emotions into the players head, and effectively takes away your freedom to imagine the characters' voices and emotions as you want them to sound and appear.

And in FFX's case, it seemed like a considerable reduction in overall dialogue was the tradeoff for the addition of voice acting. I may be wrong, but I just get the feeling like there should be so much more dialogue than there is.

GooeyToast
02-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I agree with Sepho_z0 that voice acting forces you to hear what the charcters sound like, whereas text allows you to imagine exactly how the charcters feel and respond to certain situations.

For example, in 10 the charcters often felt overacted as far as the voices go, and it just didn't feel the same way it would have if there would have been text dialogue. That's probably part of the reason 10 isn't in my top 3 ff games.

KeybladeMaster503
02-22-2005, 02:02 AM
FFX , I understood everything, all the emotion and risks. Oh so dramatic, I took a tear or 2 at the end, not my fault!!

Masamune·1600
02-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Final Fantasy VII, followed closely by Final Fantasy Tactics.

Maya
02-27-2005, 01:10 PM
I like ff7s story because its so interesting. I have always liked ancient things. And that story makes you think. It never reveals everything.
Personally I would have liked more things about the Ancients and Aeris past. It was so sad when she died. Thatīs why people like it so much.
When I start to think about it, itīs the only story where someone so important to the story actually dies for good. I donīt know about ffX or X-2 is there something like that, but still.
That story ís not about love or something common. Itīs real fantasy.

kalaspappa
03-03-2005, 02:47 PM
I don't know which one has the best story, all I know is that the story of Final Fantasy 7 is best told. Superb.