PDA

View Full Version : Are they really bad???

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-01-2005, 10:36 PM
Okay, everyone knows the fairy tale bad guys right? Big Bad Wolf, the Giant, etc... But are they really "bad"?

Example 1: "Jack and the Beanstalk", Jack goes and stels the Giant's stuff (golden harp, and the hen that lays golden eggs). SO like any normal person the Giant chases after Jack, but Jack deciedes after he climbs down, to chop the beanstalk. The Giant dies, but he was only trying to get the stuff that Jack had stolen. Wher is the justice.

Example 2: "THe Three Little Pigs", This should be called instead: "The three Selfish Neighbours Who are so Stingy that They kill the Wolf who had a cold and wanted to borrow some sugar" . Okay maybe the wolf had a cold? that could be why he was hufifng and puffing, so he goes to his neighbors, the three pigs, to borrow so sugar and they say "NO!", and then he sneezes. In the end he gets killed, poor guy.

My point is that maybe the "bad guys" are misunderstood in fairy tales, maybe they aren't so bad after all.

Dking'squeen
01-01-2005, 10:46 PM
Some of them aren't bad, like that JAck and the BEanstalk example you gave. THE GIANT WAS A GENTLE SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The three little bears
renamed: Little theif girl who could
If i can remember correctly, the little girl, whatever her name was, BROKE into the bear's home, ATE thier food and sleep in their BED.
How dare she?
Who can break into another person's house and not get thier butts kicked?
She's the baddy i think
SHe deserved whatever happened *even though it didn;t*
a scence from the simpsons should have occured, i think

Dr.K
01-01-2005, 10:58 PM
The three bears - prime example. I mean, that girl was lucky those bears responded so leniently - had it been a rougher part of town (er, the country?) she may not have been so lucky. Come to think of it...i can't even remember what the moral of that story WAS. Don't break into people's houses and have the cheek to use it as a squat too?
Also, hansel and gretel - had they not had such a strong fondness for refined sugary foods, things may not have had to happen the way they did :)

theundeadhero
01-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Example 1: "Jack and the Beanstalk", Jack goes and stels the Giant's stuff (golden harp, and the hen that lays golden eggs). SO like any normal person the Giant chases after Jack, but Jack deciedes after he climbs down, to chop the beanstalk. The Giant dies, but he was only trying to get the stuff that Jack had stolen. Wher is the justice. The giant was holding a fairy prisoner in a cage. Jack freed it and and she mentioned that her harp was taken too. Thats when Jack went to get it.

Example 2: "THe Three Little Pigs", This should be called instead: "The three Selfish Neighbours Who are so Stingy that They kill the Wolf who had a cold and wanted to borrow some sugar" . Okay maybe the wolf had a cold? that could be why he was hufifng and puffing, so he goes to his neighbors, the three pigs, to borrow so sugar and they say "NO!", and then he sneezes. In the end he gets killed, poor guy.
The wolf didn't want sugar. He was trying to eat the little pigs.

You've been hearing some watered down fairy tales. I do wish they would win sometimes though.

yo momma
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
I guess noone thinks about it as much as you:p

The Summoner of Leviathan
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Fairy??What fairy???? I knew that the harp talked, but never heard about a fairy.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-02-2005, 03:12 AM
Also, hansel and gretel - had they not had such a strong fondness for refined sugary foods, things may not have had to happen the way they did :)They were two impoverished kids who only went out into the woods in the first place because their father could no longer provide food for the family and they didn't want everyone to starve to death.

Del Murder
01-02-2005, 05:40 AM
I thought the bears ate Goldilocks.

Shlup
01-02-2005, 05:57 AM
I liked that book when I was a kid. Now it kinda creeps me out though.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
01-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Its all a big misunderstanding really!

Cz
01-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Example 2 is based on an awesome book. :D

Not sure why it creeps Shlup out, though.

Chibi Youkai
01-02-2005, 08:02 PM
It's all the pov you use. Yeah, sometimes I think that the protagonists were worse than the antagonists.

boris no no
01-02-2005, 08:25 PM
my elves scare me.....

Martyr
01-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Wolves, Giants, Witches and the like are ALWAYS evil.

The only exception is Viola Gumdrop, the gigantic gingerbread werewolf witch who bakes cookies for little children and then doesn't eat them. (Gingerbread cannot thrive on tender kid flesh).

SomethingBig
01-03-2005, 11:27 AM
The three bears - prime example. I mean, that girl was lucky those bears responded so leniently - had it been a rougher part of town (er, the country?) she may not have been so lucky.
I think Goldilocks was portrayed as the villain for this fairy tale. The bears are nice people. They invited me over for some flesh soup.

Tanwen Strife
01-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Wolves, Giants, Witches and the like are ALWAYS evil.

The only exception is Viola Gumdrop, the gigantic gingerbread werewolf witch who bakes cookies for little children and then doesn't eat them. (Gingerbread cannot thrive on tender kid flesh).

What about the good witches like the Good witch of the north? hmmm? or was it really all a great plan by her to ge Dorothy to dispose of the Wicked Witch of the West and the Wizard so that she alone could rule Oz... the crafty bugger!

Captain Maxx Power
01-03-2005, 01:55 PM
If you want to talk morals, let's not forget little red riding hood. Never, under any circumstances, trust your grandmother. You never know if she might be a transvestite wolf ready to eat you.

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 04:01 PM
These questions can raise other questions, such as, are ideas truly original, or as Plato believed, is all knowledge known but stored deep away and only as we progress through our lives do we become aware of them?I never looked at grandma the same way again.