PDA

View Full Version : new party

FinalLethal
01-02-2005, 06:40 AM
So i just started paying final fantasy VII again and i want some people to give me some ideas on what characters to use. Take into consideration that all i want to do this time playing is finish the game and not worry about all the extra secret bosses etc.

Obviously i need cloud, and i already know im using vincent, so can anyone give me an idea on who else to use please?

battousai9439
01-02-2005, 06:47 AM
As much as I hate to say it (i'm about to argue against my fav char.), don't spend to much time on Aerith, you know why...
And vincent is a little too weak (not counting his awesome limit breaks)

I would stick with Cloud, Cid, & Barret... Those are your doomsday guys if you like physical attacks.

For a magic party though... Cloud, Red XIII/Nanaki, & Cait Sith (even though I hate him)

Don't blame me if you get totally burned, though...

Naughty Tifa
01-02-2005, 12:46 PM
If you want good physical attacks, Cloud, Yuffie and Tifa cut it well. Tifa being that if you get the roulette right, she can deal tons of damage. Also, if you level Yuffie up allot, she can be stronger than Tifa in terms of attack.

novarta
01-02-2005, 12:53 PM
best thing to do is to level up more than 3 chracters, example if you want to morph some enemies in gelnika you better level up yuffie, and if you are going to fight with some boss you can have another party.

rubah
01-02-2005, 09:41 PM
cait sith is awesome fun.

Stick him the backrow and give him deathblow materia. it's fun:D

my parties usually consist of as many people I can cram in the back row as possible. == cloud with long range, someone with attacks that don't need to be in the front, and someone with long range weapons.

So there if you're using Vincent, he's long ranged weapon, and just find someone for back up-- barret until his best current weapon is short-range, then switch someone else in, or tifa, and give someone else counter that's in the back.. like cloud!:D
it seems they all level up together anyways-_-

abrojtm
01-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I pretty much used Cloud/Cid/Red XIII/Vincent.

Flamethrower
01-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Cloud, Yuffie, Cid

Why? Because Omnislash, Highwind, and Doom of the Living are the three best limit breaks in the game (Yes, Yuffie's level three limit break is better than her level four).

battousai9439
01-03-2005, 03:50 AM
err... the three "Doomsday" (no reference to you, doomsday!) limit breaks are Omnislash, Highwind, and Catastrophe

Carnage
01-03-2005, 03:54 AM
Go for cid

Raistlin
01-03-2005, 04:01 AM
I always used Cloud, Cid, and Tifa. Other good choices are Yuffie and Red XIII. The others suck.

Flamethrower
01-03-2005, 04:53 PM
err... the three "Doomsday" (no reference to you, doomsday!) limit breaks are Omnislash, Highwind, and Catastrophe

It's been a long time since I last played, but if I'm not mistaken, doesn't Catastrophe only hit one time, meaning the highest possible damage it can do is 9999? Whereas Doom of the Living hits something like 15 times, and it can do well over 9999 damage. It's like a lesser Omnislash.

Raistlin
01-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Yeah, Barret isn't a very good choice. Neither are Cait Sith, Aeris, or Vincent.

Dark Matter
01-05-2005, 03:40 PM
So i just started paying final fantasy VII again and i want some people to give me some ideas on what characters to use. Take into consideration that all i want to do this time playing is finish the game and not worry about all the extra secret bosses etc.

Obviously i need cloud, and i already know im using vincent, so can anyone give me an idea on who else to use please?
If that's the case, I suggest that you should place Aeris in your party!
Why? Since she'll die eventually, you should spend more time with her or you're going to regret later.
So, your party members are Cloud, Vincent, and Aeris.
After Disc 1, you could choose either Tifa or Yuffie to r-replace Aeris... :cry:

redxiiii
01-05-2005, 03:41 PM
:D Well I`m playin through again to so i`m just usin characters i haven`t used before except for aeris cos she`s dies so early on and vincent because you can`t change him back from 1 of his limit breaks unless u have a vaccine.
At the moment i`m usin cloud(obviously),Redxiii and tifa :D

Raistlin
01-05-2005, 08:40 PM
If that's the case, I suggest that you should place Aeris in your party!
Why? Since she'll die eventually, you should spend more time with her or you're going to regret later.
So, your party members are Cloud, Vincent, and Aeris.
After Disc 1, you could choose either Tifa or Yuffie to r-replace Aeris... :cry:
That strategy is not reccomended, as Vincent and Aeris are both horrible characters to have in your party. Anyone besides Aeris, Vincent, Cait Sith, and Barret will do fine, however.

m4tt
01-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Cid is the best! Use him forever and always.

Raistlin
01-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Cid is the best! Use him forever and always.

:love: :love: :love:

~Tenderness~
01-06-2005, 12:50 AM
xD yeah Cid's great :love:

I know from plenty of experience of using them that Aeris, Cid, Cloud, Tifa and Yuffie are all great characters in battle :)

Don't use Aerith if you think free healing sucks, the ability to cure status effects sucks, or the ability to give her allies more chances to use their limits sucks, or invincibility sucks, or the ability to completely restore hit points and magic points and fully revive allies sucks, or the ability to completely restore magic points + hit points + make everyone invincible sucks :)

Also don't use her if you think high magic points, high magic, spirit and vitality stats and being able to get weapons with high critical attack power or triple attack power which make up for a low strength stat sucks :)

From the experience that I have had with them albeit less than the five I've already mentioned I think Barret is alright, Red XIII is great and Vincent and Cait Sith are the worst. Although that might just because I haven't used those two enough ;) Maybe they will improve if I give them more of a chance :)

The Great Albino Hippie
01-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Mysuggestions - Barret for long range atacks from back row and he very sttrong

Cloud - duh!

cid - he is great and strong also, i like phsiscal atack

I hate the final fantasu women in my team, sorry to all females on this bored

Raistlin
01-06-2005, 02:26 AM
Michi:

Invincibility doesn't suck, but I, personally, have never stayed on disc 1 long enough to get her level 4 limit. :p Waste of time. Also, to get many of those limits you mentioned, you have to level Aeris up an insane amount, which isn't worth it.

You can heal and cure status effects easily enough with items and materia without wasting a limit break.

No, you're right. Vincent and Cait Sith are the worst. Next are Barret and Aeris. And then Yuffie and Red XIII. And then my personal party: Cloud, Tifa, Cid. If I had to pick another party member, I'd have trouble deciding between Yuffie and Red XIII. They're both solid in battle, and I admit to picking Cid over them hands-down because Cid just rules. :p

~Tenderness~
01-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Michi:

Invincibility doesn't suck, but I, personally, have never stayed on disc 1 long enough to get her level 4 limit. :p Waste of time.

Her first level three limit break also casts the invincibility/peerless status and that can be gained as early as the Mythril Mines without too much bother. I've already had it in Midgar before along with all of Tifa and Cloud's limits bar their fourth but that was whilst power levelling which can be a bother in Midgar :p

"Also, to get many of those limits you mentioned, you have to level Aeris up an insane amount, which isn't worth it."

Level thirteen which is the lowest I've gotten all of them bar the level four one is insane? xD

"You can heal and cure status effects easily enough with items and materia without wasting a limit break."

Items and materia aren't as effective for healing on disc one though meaning there's the possibility that they'd have to be used multiple times to heal the entire party adequately which instead of wasting a limit break would waste rounds :p

No, you're right. Vincent and Cait Sith are the worst. Next are Barret and Aeris. And then Yuffie and Red XIII. And then my personal party: Cloud, Tifa, Cid. If I had to pick another party member, I'd have trouble deciding between Yuffie and Red XIII. They're both solid in battle, and I admit to picking Cid over them hands-down because Cid just rules. :p

You know what? Just for the hell of it I'm going to agree with you on the ranking you listed in that last part ... at least over the course of the entire game :p Since despite all her good points Aerith loses them all at the end of disc one anyway and Yuffie, Red XIII, Cloud, Tifa and Cid all have chances to continue to improve whilst she does not ;) However if she had lived then perhaps this debate would rage on :p ;)

Raistlin
01-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Her first level three limit break also casts the invincibility/peerless status and that can be gained as early as the Mythril Mines without too much bother. I've already had it in Midgar before along with all of Tifa and Cloud's limits bar their fourth but that was whilst power levelling which can be a bother in Midgar
Are you nuts? I don't get level 3 limits until disc 2. xD

Level thirteen which is the lowest I've gotten all of them bar the level four one is insane?
Not the levels, but the fighting. You have to kill an absurd amount of monsters with each character, and use each first level limit a certain amount of times. Doing that is a huge time-waster. And for what? Aeris with limit breaks is not worth hours of work. You can easily get past the first disc without her. :p

Items and materia aren't as effective for healing on disc one though meaning there's the possibility that they'd have to be used multiple times to heal the entire party adequately which instead of wasting a limit break would waste rounds
White Wind is available on disc 1. It's basically an Aeris limit break in and of itself.

You know what? Just for the hell of it I'm going to agree with you on the ranking you listed in that last part ... at least over the course of the entire game Since despite all her good points Aerith loses them all at the end of disc one anyway and Yuffie, Red XIII, Cloud, Tifa and Cid all have chances to continue to improve whilst she does not However if she had Spoiler: lived then perhaps this debate would rage on
Not really, since the other characters only get better after disc 1, wheras Aeris would just gain levels. The other characters would continue to catch up to her attack power, and she would continue to lose offensive effectiveness. Plus, the edition of leveling up the Magic Plus materia would basically make her magic stat a moot point.

DJZen
01-06-2005, 08:40 AM
The lovely thing about FFVII is that you can use absolutely ANYONE because the differences between characters in combat is so minimal that with the right materia combos, it just won't matter at all. I've taken characters who don't come reccomended at all and absolutely destroyed the toughest bosses.

~Tenderness~
01-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Are you nuts?

Yes :p

I don't get level 3 limits until disc 2. xD

I get all the limits it's possible to get for everyone on disc one xD

Not the levels, but the fighting.

You said it was the levels before >:O ;-)

You have to kill an absurd amount of monsters with each character, and use each first level limit a certain amount of times. Doing that is a huge time-waster.

I find that time is there for a wasting ;) Apart from when I'm doing challenges I like to do as much as it's possible to do on each disc. I don't think of it as a waste of time because I get easier and quicker boss fights through good usage of the skills of the limits I learn, a good amount of gil that covers every single character as far as buying them new equipment is concerned and my materia increases it's effectiveness meaning I don't feel the loss of Aerith's healings skills as much later.

And for what? Aeris with limit breaks is not worth hours of work.

It doesn't take many hours. Really for the amount of use I get out of them it doesn't take that long at all. Also for me personally it is worth it because Aerith with limits makes boss fights easier and quicker like I stated before. Having Fury Brand also helps other characters learn limits quicker and gives them more chances to use them too :p

Besides if you want to learn limits for characters you're going to have to use up time eventually anyway. I just prefer to do it sooner rather than later ;)

You can easily get past the first disc without her. :p

You can easily get past the first disc with her too :p

Might I ask you though do you ever have problems with her in the temple of the ancients?

White Wind is available on disc 1. It's basically an Aeris limit break in and of itself.

The point is my dear Raistlin is that Aerith is spoiled for choice :) She has all of her own limits and then on top of that she has items which like I said in l-j she never has to use but the option is there if there is ever any call for it, restorative materia is also an option if I want to equip it *and* White Wind. The skill Wind Wind has chances of not being as effective at healing as her limits anyway since it costs magic points and only heals characters for the amount of hit points they have left so if they only had one hit point left it would only heal them for one hit point :p However it can be effective if it's use is timed properly or the enemy doesn't get critical hits in. I get it as back up so I'll have something to fall back on after disc one.

Not really, since the other characters only get better after disc 1, wheras Aeris would just gain levels. The other characters would continue to catch up to her attack power, and she would continue to lose offensive effectiveness.

I mean if she had lived and the game didn't act like she was dead :p If she had been meant to continue on with the other characters then there are chances that there would have been new weapons available for her so she would have been able to continue to improve :) Thus she wouldn't have to lose offensive effectiveness and would also have a wider variety of offensive options available to her on the later discs than she does on disc one such as the chance to equip the counter materia and more counter attack materia more chances to counter attack, a higher chance of finishing her attacks up with deathblows, two times cut, four times cut, slash all, flash :) Or if going the magic route she could chose from all the high level spells and summons that become available on the later discs and materia such as the magic counter, quadra magic, w-magic and w-summon materia.

Plus, the edition of leveling up the Magic Plus materia would basically make her magic stat a moot point.

It would also boost her already high magic stat and the Strength Plus materia would continue to increase her attack power making other character's strength stat a moot point :p

The lovely thing about FFVII is that you can use absolutely ANYONE because the differences between characters in combat is so minimal that with the right materia combos, it just won't matter at all.

I completely agree DJZen :)

I've taken characters who don't come reccomended at all and absolutely destroyed the toughest bosses.

Same here :D

Lady_luck_lulu
01-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Well I'm just saying who I personally have found better for fighting bosses and normal battles:
Obviously I have to use Cloud (until disk 2 when you have to use Tifa then Cid).
I use Yuffie because she has alot of attack power and if you complete the Pagoda in Disk One she can get All Creation (while I was on the Pagoda I got her Level 3 2nd Limit Break so I could easily use All Creation!).
And well I use Vincent and Cid alot :D I think I neglect alot of my characters I barely use Barret or Red XIII.
Well that is who I have found most useful. :) :blahblah:

Raistlin
01-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Lessee...

Not everyone wants to spend years leveling up to be able to use a character effectively. :p

Also, no, I didn't have any problems with her in the Temple of the Ancients, because it's an easy-ass dungeon with Cloud and Cid.

You still haven't commented on one of my observations:

Yes, Aeris has very high attack power with the Umbrella. However, you can't even get the umbrella until halfway through disc 1, and her ultimate weapon even later(and it has no materia growth, so sucks in disc 1). That makes her only as effective as you say for half of the disc, and heavily dependent on what she has equipped. The other characters don't have that dependency - Tifa, for example, is effective with whatever current weapon you just got at the store.

The lovely thing about FFVII is that you can use absolutely ANYONE because the differences between characters in combat is so minimal that with the right materia combos, it just won't matter at all.

There is still one very important difference: limit breaks.

DJZen
01-06-2005, 10:07 PM
It's not that important though. If it does damage, it does damage. If it heals, it heals. If you want to do more than 9999 damage, all you need is a KotR materia.

Raistlin
01-06-2005, 10:26 PM
Limits are no big deal? Omnislash can do more damage than KotR! All of the good level 4 limits do very high damage(in excess of 50,000). That's why it's important to choose characters with decent limits. Bad ones include Vincent and Cait Sith.