PDA

View Full Version : FireFox

Carnage
01-03-2005, 02:14 AM
I just got my computer set up with the internet and figured id try out firefox since everyones makeing a big deal about it. Its not much diffrent than IE. Except the little wheel on my mouse wont work. :mad2:

P.S. Makeing............Something just seems odd.........

escobert
01-03-2005, 02:15 AM
My "little wheel on the mouse" works just fine. I <3 firefox. It's safer then IE and you can get skins and such for it.

MoonsEcho
01-03-2005, 02:17 AM
P.S. Makeing............Something just seems odd.........

Probably seems odd because it's spelled 'making'. :spin:

Firefox is loads better than IE. No more popups for you! And it's much more secure than IE. :)

Carnage
01-03-2005, 02:22 AM
how do i get skins for it? If it cost money dont tell me.

Good i hate viruses and pop ups.

I learned how to spell a word yay! :D

escobert
01-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Go to tools then Themes then get more themes. And find the one you want just gotta download it and set it as your theme :D

I have attached a pic of my theme in use :p

DMKA
01-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Firefox sucks.[/troll]

Psychotic
01-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Whenever I used my mouse wheel on Firefox, it bizarrely kept opening up lots of new tabs. I don't use Firefox anymore.

Spatvark
01-03-2005, 03:37 AM
I've used Firefox since somewhere in the beta period, and it's always worked fine for me. Having had to walk my dad through some elementary problems with it, I've come to realise that all problems that people have with Firefox are caused by their own stupidity. Therefore, anyone bitching about it is stupid =D?

01-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Therefore, anyone bitching about it is stupid =D amen.

Chibi Youkai
01-03-2005, 03:44 AM
I've never had any problems with Firefox. And my mouse wheel works fine with it.
And I never know how I got aloung without the tabbing.

RSL
01-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Whenever I used my mouse wheel on Firefox, it bizarrely kept opening up lots of new tabs. I don't use Firefox anymore.

When you click on a link with your mouse wheel it opens a new tab with that link. Very handy, in my opinion.

Raistlin
01-03-2005, 04:12 AM
When you click on a link with your mouse wheel it opens a new tab with that link. Very handy, in my opinion.
Holy crap, I didn't know that! *tests it out*

OMG, that is the best thing ever. :love: :love: :love:

Yamaneko
01-03-2005, 04:14 AM
I found that out after I used Firefox (Phoenix) for five minutes. :D

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 04:34 AM
You've convinced me to try this. So far so good.

Dr Unne
01-03-2005, 04:39 AM
Holy crap, I didn't know that! *tests it out*

OMG, that is the best thing ever. :love: :love: :love:

That's like 50% of the reason I like Firefox. How could you have missed that? Well? How?

Leeza
01-03-2005, 04:39 AM
It's been ages since I've used IE (except for work, but that doesn't count) and I don't miss it one little bit. I didn't know about that thing about clicking on the wheel to open a link in a new tab though. Nice little feature. :)

DMKA
01-03-2005, 04:43 AM
Does Firefox actually work on a P4? Because it's effing slow on my 566mhz, which is why I say it sucks. Though I must say, I love tabbed browsing.

Dr Unne
01-03-2005, 04:45 AM
Works great on my old 550MHz. Maybe you should reinstall Windows.

DMKA
01-03-2005, 04:50 AM
Works great on my old 550MHz. Maybe you should reinstall Windows.
exdee

I think I reinstalled windows like 5 times once in a 2 week period...after that I vowed that I wasn't doing it anymore. Plus, I shouldn't have to reinstall my operating system to get a browser to work when there's another that will work fine, even if it lacks all the frills.

I'll just wait till my grant refund arrives and pickup a new PC and see if it actually works on that one.

Dr Unne
01-03-2005, 04:57 AM
Windows will happily waste as much RAM and as many CPU cycle as you're willing to throw at it. Maybe you should uninstall Windows.

DMKA
01-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Windows will happily waste as much RAM and as many CPU cycle as you're willing to throw at it. Maybe you should uninstall Windows.
And install what, may I ask?

Loony BoB
01-03-2005, 05:04 AM
What if you don't actually 'click' but rather scroll down a page and have your mouse cursor pass over a link? And if that would open up a new page in a new tab, could you turn that off?

I don't use Firefox but I intend on using it someday when I have IE accidentally destroy my computer. You know, around the time that it's too late and I get all pissed off and you all say "I told you so." So not just yet, but probably someday.

Mindflare
01-03-2005, 05:09 AM
He'll suggest Linux. =D

Anyway, the wheel mouse click feature is my favorite feature other than the general security of it.

Edit: And BoB, it only opens the new tab if you click the wheel, not scroll. And also, IE is slowly killing your computer anyway. =D

CloudSquallandZidane
01-03-2005, 05:10 AM
With my new Firefox extension, one of many, EVERYTIME i click on a link it opens in a new tab, except my book marks. I love "Disable Targets for Download", " "Tabbrowser Prefernces", and "Adblock", all of which are available on the Extension site.

With AdBlock i will never see any annoying, or unwanted ad EVER AGAIN! and i can block all the ad servers i want! Praise the lord IE was never this good!!!

For themes i recommend Noia, or if u feel cluttered use MicroFox. After 2 months of using Microfox i realize how much wasted space, and how much more webpage i could be viewing.

And Pop-up, what the hell is that???

J.D
01-03-2005, 05:17 AM
IE Hast Tons Of Spyware
Im Usin Firefox At This Very Moment
And Believe Me
Its Safer That IE ^__^

rubah
01-03-2005, 05:32 AM
What I find annoying is all the people that refuse to put al ittle time and effort into designing their sites so that they work in firefox (ie, properly)

Heck, I made *SURE* that my site looks better in firefox than IE. and I'm proud of it^_^
(if only the people that keep yapping about 'omg you don't have colored scrolls! and your iframe scrollzzz!!!' would shut up. read the stupid w3 guidelines, newbs. (although currently it *does* scroll right now, but that's because of an image^_^)

I'm slowly trying to convince my parents to make the switch, but they're been disgruntled about it.

one of these days I'll switch their IE icons to open firefox instead. heh.

if only it didn't have so many issues with bookmarks-_- I'd like to be able to right click them again:P but it'll get fixed eventually^_^

Dingo Jellybean
01-03-2005, 05:40 AM
What I find annoying is all the people that refuse to put al ittle time and effort into designing their sites so that they work in firefox (ie, properly)

Heck, I made *SURE* that my site looks better in firefox than IE.
I'm slowly trying to convince my parents to make the switch, but they're been disgruntled about it.

one of these days I'll switch their IE icons to open firefox instead. heh.

I actually do put the effort into my website so that it's viewable in all browsers. It looks fine in Opera, MSIE, etc. All except Netscape. The slight grudge I have is how the horizontal bar appears, probably due to that popup by Geocities and I have no idea how to fix it.

As for FireFox, it's not really that great. Most of you people should use Slimbrowser. It's a shell for MSIE and it makes tabs for practically everything you do, like when you type a new address into the address bar, a new tab comes up.

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 05:46 AM
What if you don't actually 'click' but rather scroll down a page and have your mouse cursor pass over a link? And if that would open up a new page in a new tab, could you turn that off?It only opens automatically if you set it to do that, otherwise you have to push the wheely thingy down.

Dr Unne
01-03-2005, 05:52 AM

I only test my site(s) in Firefox.

I installed in on my parents' computer and removed their IE icons and they never noticed and/or cared.

And install what, may I ask?

Anything else.

It's a shell for MSIE and it makes tabs for practically everything you do, like when you type a new address into the address bar, a new tab comes up.

Does it fix IE so it can render CSS properly, and fix all the security holes, and let you use 3rd-party extensions, and themes, and things like mouse gestures and regex-based ad blocking? Lack of tabs is just one of many reasons not to use IE.

Dingo Jellybean
01-03-2005, 06:01 AM
Does it fix IE so it can render CSS properly, and fix all the security holes, and let you use 3rd-party extensions, and themes, and things like mouse gestures and regex-based ad blocking? Lack of tabs is just one of many reasons not to use IE.

It does allow you to import security certificates, at least on my version(it's over a year old). It does allow mouse gestures and regex-based ad blocking. As for CSS, I'm not tech-savvy so I wouldn't know what you mean...but it does display CSS properly for all sites I've seen like www.apple.com But Slimbrowser does allow tabs. I never browse without tabs now.

Mr.Mage
01-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Its not much diffrent than IE.

I feel like smacking you for that. It's A LOT different than IE in my opinion. Well the only that is noticeable is the massive increase in speed over IE on my computer. :<3: Firefox :<3:

DMKA
01-03-2005, 11:43 AM
Anything else.
Tell me something else that will run Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Virtualdub, and AviSynth...because I know Linux won't. Plus Linux is just a waste of time and crashes like crazy anyway.

Until I see Firefox load a page in less than 2 minutes I'm going to mark it as suck...plus it takes forever to open. It does have it's nice features, yes, but the most important aspects of a web browser are the worst in Firefox from what I've witnessed.

Rye
01-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I have FF and the wheel on my mouse works fine too. I'd die without the little wheel. xD

And it loads pages fast for me. Maybe it's because I have broadband.

DMKA
01-03-2005, 11:55 AM
I have FF and the wheel on my mouse works fine too. I'd die without the little wheel. xD

And it loads pages fast for me. Maybe it's because I have broadband.
Yeah, I suppose having dialup could play a role in the slowness...

And the wheel is something I don't know how I ever survived without years ago.

Citizen Bleys
01-03-2005, 12:26 PM
Emphasis mine ~Bleys

But only if you've already installed it, because neither the latest release of Mouse Gestures nor any of the ones in the archives will install properly, it says that it's not compatible with 1.0 even if it is. If you want Mouse Gestures, you have to install an OLD version of Firefox (if you're lucky enough to have saved one instead of overwriting your old versions), install Mouse Gestures on that, and then upgrade to Firefox 1.0 and then reinstall all of your themes. Not a hemorrhoidal pain in the backside at all.

crono_logical
01-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Security certificates and security holes are completely different things. A certificate is used by the site to prove who they are to you so you can trust them, like if you're buying something online and need to provide card details, for example. A hole is a flaw in the code running behind the browser itself on your PC, and no certificate will fix that.

A malicious site that's gonna exploit a hole almost certainly won't provide you with a certificate asking you to trust them, no point bothering when you can exploit the poor user and take over their PC (or something equally bad) without any user intervention beyond navigating to the site in the first place :p

Tell me something else that will run Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Virtualdub, and AviSynth...because I know Linux won't. Plus Linux is just a waste of time and crashes like crazy anyway.VirtualDub and Avisynth are the two things that make me refuse to remove Windows from my laptop - I have much more power under Windows when it comes to multimedia editing and production with free software (except perhaps encoding MPEG/MPEG2, but I rarely do that).

Linux crashing like crazy though is something I've not experienced though. My PC is much much more stable with Linux on - it's only crashed once due to bad RAM, which I easily bypassed with kernel switches to tell it to avoid that area of memory. Any minor crashes or errors due to buggy programs or incorrect configuration haven't taken the system down, unlike in Windows, and almost all are repairable without a reboot, if you're willing to work out how. Error messages are generally more informative too making troubleshooting easier ont he whole. It's only a waste of time if you're not willing to learn the system, and you get much more out of it in the end anyway. I've set my PC up as a router, and I can do much more than what I was capable of when I used to use WinXP for the network gateway.

Chibi Youkai
01-04-2005, 12:31 AM
Tell me something else that will run Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, Virtualdub, and AviSynth...because I know Linux won't. Plus Linux is just a waste of time and crashes like crazy anyway.

Until I see Firefox load a page in less than 2 minutes I'm going to mark it as suck...plus it takes forever to open. It does have it's nice features, yes, but the most important aspects of a web browser are the worst in Firefox from what I've witnessed.

I have no problem with loading times. It loads quicker than IE, that's for sure. Then again, I do have broadband. But I've fixed computers before, and getting rid of IE really helps most of the problems.

CloudSquallandZidane
01-04-2005, 12:43 AM
Until I see Firefox load a page in less than 2 minutes I'm going to mark it as suck...

Download "Tweak Network 1.0" extension. then write down ur originals and set everything to max, and go down slowly to find the optimum level.

If ur comp. is slow dont do this, but if u have a fast processor add this code to ur user.js file

// Last value in milliseconds (default is 250)
user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

// Enable pipelining:
user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);
user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 100);

Got that from the site its great. U change it also by typing in About.config in ur console, and finding those settings.

Also http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1299854/posts helped me in my FF speed hacks.

Super Christ
01-04-2005, 12:51 AM
I love firefox. My singular complaint about it is that I can't remove the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder from my bookmarks menu.

[Edit] Holy crap, 8 posts between my hitting add reply and posting!

CloudSquallandZidane
01-04-2005, 12:57 AM
Well in my research i just found a what was described as a probelm with the things i just told u, but i NEVER had any probelms with doing these things. The issue was posted http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/007164.html

Raistlin
01-04-2005, 02:47 AM
I love firefox. My singular complaint about it is that I can't remove the Bookmarks Toolbar Folder from my bookmarks menu.
Why the hell would you want to do that? Mine's filled with sites!

rubah
01-04-2005, 03:29 AM

Um, I think I read something on the mozilla forums about that today X.x

something about going to bookmark manager, and selecting some other folder (like a random or crap or stuff folder) and going to edit - set as bookmark tool folder.

I don't know if you could delete the other then, I didn't try because I had a couple of links in there.

Mirage
01-04-2005, 04:24 AM

So I shouldn't remove mine because yours is filled with sites. Makes sense! :D

I find the bookmark toolbar annoying myself. Besides, I could delete it without any problems here.

Dr Unne
01-04-2005, 05:51 AM
Emphasis mine ~Bleys

But only if you've already installed it, because neither the latest release of Mouse Gestures nor any of the ones in the archives will install properly, it says that it's not compatible with 1.0 even if it is. If you want Mouse Gestures, you have to install an OLD version of Firefox (if you're lucky enough to have saved one instead of overwriting your old versions), install Mouse Gestures on that, and then upgrade to Firefox 1.0 and then reinstall all of your themes. Not a hemorrhoidal pain in the backside at all.

I never use mouse gestures, I just threw that in there randomly.

Plus Linux is just a waste of time and crashes like crazy anyway.

Works fine for me. I never had a crash in Linux that wasn't recoverable (no reboot required), and even that kind of crash is extremely rare. Waste of time though, yeah, if you don't like tinkering.

DMKA
01-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Works fine for me. I never had a crash in Linux that wasn't recoverable (no reboot required), and even that kind of crash is extremely rare. Waste of time though, yeah, if you don't like tinkering.
Yep...it's probably because I didn't know what the hell I was doing, but I'd rather spend my time using my computer rather than setting it up.

Of course, some people say Windows is always messing up, which isn't the case, with me anyway.

Super Christ
01-04-2005, 06:39 AM
Um, I think I read something on the mozilla forums about that today X.x

something about going to bookmark manager, and selecting some other folder (like a random or crap or stuff folder) and going to edit - set as bookmark tool folder.

I don't know if you could delete the other then, I didn't try because I had a couple of links in there.
Hey, sweet! That worked, thanks!

I don't use my bookmark toolbar - I prefer to keep things as minimal as possible, and use the bookmarks menu. I guess I just don't like clutter - for instance, ideally, the only things I've ever got on my desktop are my Recycle Bin, and shortcuts to my music, documents, videos, and pictures folders.

And that's another reason I like firefox better than IE - I can make the interface smaller than I ever could make IE's. Check it out - that is one sexy little interface!

Mirage
01-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I can make my IE interface that small too :p. That is, two or so pixels bigger, but that doesn't really matter.

crono_logical
01-04-2005, 10:23 AM

[Edit] Holy crap, 8 posts between my hitting add reply and posting!View > Toolbars > untick the Bookmarks Toolbar :p At least, it works in v0.8 which I use on the laptop :p

Oh, I lied about what I said about linux crashing/going crazy in my last post - it's done it exactly one other time, and that's when one of the IDE drives failed on it :p It had decided to unmount root for some reason too, so I couldn't start anything new, but everything currently running that didn't need a HD during operation (like IRC or iptables/router functions) continued running all the way through. And it was in this messed up state for 6 hours because it happened when I was asleep :p Still better than Windows though, the one time that happenned when Windows was running, the entire machine froze up immediately :D

Mirage
01-04-2005, 10:33 AM
That reminds me of when we set up a linux machine in my class. The graphics card wasn't fastened properly, and it got half-dragged out of its socket when connecting a monitor. We just pushed it back in. Linux didn't seem to be affected at all, except we got graphical glitches until it was rebooted. :p
Windows machines BSOD instantly if something like that happens. :]

Citizen Bleys
01-04-2005, 01:17 PM
I never use mouse gestures, I just threw that in there randomly.

I'd say "you gotta try it!" but you can't, so I won't.

theundeadhero
01-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I dowloaded the smiley extension but I have no idea where the online database is or whether you can use them here or not. Anyone know?

Leeza
01-04-2005, 03:40 PM
View > Toolbars > untick the Bookmarks Toolbar :p At least, it works in v0.8 which I use on the laptop :p
Or, on mine, which is v1.0, you can right click on the Menu Bar and uncheck Bookmarks Toolbar. :)

crono_logical
01-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Ooh, that works in mine too :p

escobert
01-04-2005, 06:17 PM
Yes it does <3 leeza

Mirage
01-04-2005, 06:57 PM
Old news plz :p

rubah
01-05-2005, 12:45 AM
Not talking about the bookmarks toolbar itself, but rather the folder inside the bookmarks drop down:)

my bookmarks toolbar hasn't seen the light of day since I first installed firefox^_^

Raistlin
01-05-2005, 01:17 AM
Which only goes to show you do not truly know how to take advantage of some of Firefox's best features. I have all of the forums I vists plus my LJ in the toolbar folder, and I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

escobert
01-05-2005, 02:38 AM
I just set mine up because you have shown be the light Raist. The only reason I don'y liek it is because sometimes i hit it when trying to hit the back button. Not a big problem just annoying.

rubah
01-05-2005, 02:41 AM
I find it takes up too much space^_^ I prefer the way that it handles the recent links vs. frequently visited links in the address bar dropdown thing^_^ just type about three letters and there they are.

Moomba Misstress
01-05-2005, 02:48 AM
I love the "little wheel on my mouse". :love:

In regards to FireFox, never used it. :sweatdrop:

:moomba:

theundeadhero
01-05-2005, 03:22 AM
With the right extension you can right click and select a back option. It's so nice. Much faster than the actual back button.

Yamaneko
01-05-2005, 05:03 AM
Or you can get a four-button mouse.