PDA

View Full Version : The average work week

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 02:21 AM
What often does the average American teenager work while their still in high school? I've always wondered if I worked more than most or if what I did was normal. When I was a junior in high school at 16 I got a job at Wal-Mart and worked 3-4 days a week which seems like it would be about the same as everyone else. Then 2 1/2 months later I quit and got a job at McDonlads. I was 17. I worked Sunday through Thursday from 5:00 to 12:30. Pretty much every school night for 7 1/2 hours. I did that for 5 months. By then school was almost out and I took a break for a few weeks. After that I got a job at Pizza Hut and was working 50+ hours a week during summer. I loved that job at the time and I'm sure thats more than the average summer job. Once school started I was working 4-5 days a week at 6 hours a day. I took a 3 week break in October and then left in March. After 2 weeks I got a job at Taco Bell and worked about 25-30 hours a week up until I graduated. Is that about normal or was I working way more than most?

DMKA
01-03-2005, 02:52 AM
I'm 19 and still have yet to have a normal job (you know, where you work so many hours a week and have a based income?), so I really couldn't tell you.

Logan
01-03-2005, 03:34 AM
I'm 17 and I don't have a job. I should stop being lazy and get one.

RSL
01-03-2005, 03:54 AM
When I was in my teens, I probably worked 20-25 hours a week. I think it was something like 4 hours a day during the school week, 3 times a week and a longer shift or two on the weekend.

Dr Unne
01-03-2005, 04:44 AM
I worked maybe 12 hours a week in high school. Don't let work interfere with your studies would be my advice, unless WalMart is going to be your lifelong career.

Del Murder
01-03-2005, 04:47 AM
When I was in high school I worked 25-30 hours a week.

Shadowdust
01-03-2005, 05:54 AM
Well apparently the average would be 20-24 hours a week and that's what I fell into as well. After high school it got upped to 32 hours a week and finally after getting married to 40 hours a week.

Dingo Jellybean
01-03-2005, 05:56 AM
Believe it or not, when I was in my late teens I worked anywhere from 40-56 hours on average.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but not all of us have the luxury of rich parents.

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 06:03 AM
I know it sounds ridiculous, but not all of us have the luxury of rich parents.That was my motivation. There were things I wanted nad I diidn't like asking my parents for money. Even for stuff like deoderant or shampoo I hated to do it. One thigns for sure, it definately prepared me for living on my own. It wasn't much of a transition.

Dingo Jellybean
01-03-2005, 06:09 AM
That was my motivation. There were things I wanted nad I diidn't like asking my parents for money. Even for stuff like deoderant or shampoo I hated to do it. One thigns for sure, it definately prepared me for living on my own. It wasn't much of a transition.

I actually prefer to work for my own merits, even though some people think it's because I have no choice(though it's partially true). I don't care if my mom can buy me a Ferrari, I rather earn a Corolla. My mom gets so frustrated at me that I work sometimes, she wants to just pave the road for me. I HATE THAT. I rather walk in mud that walk on a road my mother paved me.

My iPod, it cost me $160...I treasure it like a newborn baby. It's mine...I earned it...and it makes it that much more special. Like my mom's TV...I don't really care what happens to it...even though she gave it to me. I actually love working for things I want, it gives me a purpose in life.

I think it's an actual blessing to grow up poor instead of all rich, ditsy, and http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif like Paris Hilton/Anna Nicole Smith.

Crazy the Clown
01-03-2005, 04:23 PM
For me, it should've been 40 hours, but thanks to insanely ignorant management when I was working at McDonald's, it was more like 45 hours for me.

I said to them, "Get another patsy to do the overtime. I gotta go home and feed my dog." My manager then said, "F--- your dog. Get back to work." It took all my restraint not to pull my clip-on tie off and beat his ass down. (Everyone working at that McDonald's had to wear a tie.)