PDA

View Full Version : Most UseLESS Spell

Alexander
01-03-2005, 09:54 PM
Counteracting the Most Useful Spell poll... What is teh most useless and idiot spell FROM ALL FFs?

IMHO is Jewel. By far. 4 MP to take Ore from a enemy... and it misses often. X.x

theundeadhero
01-03-2005, 10:13 PM
AMUT in FFI. It counters the mute spell. I've NEVER been muted in FFI.

TheSpoonyBard
01-03-2005, 10:22 PM
What is Dia/Diara/Diaga/Diaja? I havn't heard of that one. I agree Jewel is pretty pointless, but I think the most useless spells are Confu, Poisona, Remove, Shield, Sleepel and Silence, all from FFVII. I've played through hundreds of times (ok, maybe not hundreds, but definately dozens) and I've never felt the need to use any of them. The status spells in FFVIII are almost as useless, but they come in handy for ST-Def-J early on. On to FFIX now, and the only spells I use regularly are Eiko's Holy and Freya's Dragoon skills. FFX is more of the same, except with the addition of Cure/Cura/Curaga, Flare and Ultima.

Martyr
01-03-2005, 10:29 PM
I don't know what Dia or Jewel is (are?) ?

If somebody can explain those, I'd be obliged.

rubah
01-03-2005, 10:44 PM
I forgot about jewel-- never used it. but reading your description it seems to be fairly useless.

Confuse, berserk, slow, stop, and drain are all useful at one point or another in various games. Confuse is excellent for the turtapod trick when trying to do Angelo Search in ff8, berserk also comes in handy for those stupid monsters that you just need to physical attack, but it takes *forever*. might as well do a little bit more damage each time and just wander off:) slow is good for bigger monsters that can't be stopped, and drain for when your white mage has mysteriously disappeared.

You've got a lot of status spells up there, I guess that's because they're the ones that don't get used hardly.

Goblin punch can be a downright pathetic blue magic, especially in ff5, if I remember right. I really can't think of any. this is what I get for mostly using physical attackers:)

Flamethrower
01-03-2005, 11:34 PM
What is Dia/Diara/Diaga/Diaja?

They are spells from the DoS version of FFI (They're called HARM, HRM2, HRM3, and HRM4 in the original version). They only do damage to undead monsters. It's pretty useful considering there's a lot of undead monsters in FFI and it's the only offense spell White Mages can use besides Holy.

The most useless spell to me is Death. It usually only works on low leveled enemies who could easily be killed with another spell or even just a physical attack anyway.

Martyr
01-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Harm spells are badass!
I mean, with the amount of undead in that game, that spell is a must and a lifesaver when you have a White mage in the party.

The most useless spell is probably Lock from FF1. Mostly because it was a bug in itself and did absolutely nothing.

Otherwise, I think that most of the spells had a purpose which I have used successfully over the course of the games. I think that people who limit their spell selection aren't accessing the fullness of the game and, therefore, may as well not use magic.

The list spells are some very useful spells, however,

I think that the only one I can safely vote for, though, is poison. (Not to be confused with BIO)
Poison just never seems to do enough damage. It never saves or helps me, and, of course, Bio has the same effect with the chance of poisoning anyway, and is better all around.

Then, maybe I'd vote Slow. Slow just doesn't seem to work sometimes, and, even if it does, there always seem to be more fitting spells for the occasion than Slow. (Like Fast/Haste)

Confuse is also a difficult spell.

But none are really at all useless, IMO.

Edit: Wow. Lotta Harm Haters. Can't figure that out at all. No wonder so many people think that FF1 is hard. :D

Doors
01-04-2005, 12:14 AM
The most useless spell is Break!

Wolfmeister
01-04-2005, 05:15 PM
I choose Slow as the most useless spell.....

Most strong enemies cannot be affected by Slow. And I think it has no advantage to characters and for special occasions?

I would use Haste to speed up rather than using Slow to slow down enemy.

Zante
01-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Void in FFV was useless, I don't ever know what it does. Another one is doom, especialy when you also have death.

Braindead_Paul
01-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Lock (FFI) - doesn't do anything
Void (called "Mute" in the PSX version) (FF5)- prevents your party from using magic

Mirage
01-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Slow and/or stop. Bad status spells normally don't work when you really need them, like when fighting bosses or high levelled enemies.

theundeadhero
01-04-2005, 05:39 PM
They don't work on a majority of normal random monsters in FFVII either.

Zante
01-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Void (called "Mute" in the PSX version) (FF5)- prevents your party from using magic

What's the point in this? :D

ChaosCalibur
01-04-2005, 07:58 PM
Regen is beyond useless

One winged angel of death
01-04-2005, 08:22 PM
beserk. no use, no purpose, no need for it.

Martyr
01-04-2005, 09:08 PM

Beserk is the spell that, apparently, "void" should be. It has an excellent purpose:
To keep your enemies from casting spells. It almost always works, from my experience, since it isn't necessarily an offensive spell. You can use it on your own characters for some reason (I used to think that it upped attack, but now I'm not sure)
But when some enemy is just going bezerk with a horrible spell of life defying damage, beserk will usually shut him up far better than any Mute spell. (I've never seen a Mute spell work, by the way. Maybe that's the most useless spell.)

And who voted for float? Somebody who never played FFIV I'm sure.

Edit: Whoa, concerning my first post, it looks like I mis-saw the votes. Apparently, everybody hates Jewel, not Harm. Which makes lots more sense.

El Duderino
01-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Reflect and esuna were both complete jokes.

m4tt
01-04-2005, 10:10 PM
Float, you never actually need it as the fights against earth related creatures seem to be easy anyway.

Dirt Dragon in FF6 uses Quake almost every attack, that does a lot of damage if you aren't floating.

Reflect and esuna were both complete jokes.

How is esuna a joke? It cures almost everything!

Use berserk on a monster that's mainly magical. All they can do is attack with their low strength.

I've always thought break was useless, I never use it.

theundeadhero
01-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Float, you never actually need it as the fights against earth related creatures seem to be easy anyway.You can equip Gaia armor to absorb the attack too :D:
Float, you never actually need it as the fights against earth related creatures seem to be easy anyway.It's extremely useful in FFIV in the cave that leads the the land of summoned monsters.
Regen is beyond uselessWhile it's not necesarry, it can be useful in more than one FF game.
Jewel can be useful in FFIX because the more of a certain jewel you have the stronger your eidalons attacks will be.

Macp
01-05-2005, 01:04 AM
Float, float, float...
This spell is a joke. Protect agaisnt earth damage.
How many spells are earth elemental ?

Alexander
01-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Jewel can be useful in FFIX because the more of a certain jewel you have the stronger your eidalons attacks will be.

But Jewel only takes Ore. o.o

The Great Albino Hippie
01-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Regen is beyond useless

I love that spell. Reflect was crap making carbencle the most useless gf too

Captain Maxx Power
01-06-2005, 12:06 PM
Useless is defined as something that has no use. Since every spell in FF does something, then none of them are useless. If we're talking least used spell, then I'd say Scan. For me its either guesswork or guides. Course I disregard wall-change monsters. Then Scan is a necessity.

BG-57
01-06-2005, 01:58 PM
I voted Jewel. I have used every other spell except for that one. If I didn't miss it, I didn't need it.

Rini
01-06-2005, 02:48 PM
To me, Death and Doom are the spells that could go. Any time I've tried (in any game) they just wouldn't work.

Also I never used the status spells in FFIX, I used the status items to cure all those bad statuses and left Garnet's/Eiko's MP's for healing.

..And I've never even heard of Jewel :D

Crazy the Clown
01-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Final Fantasy I-AMUT spell is the most useless spell made for the game.

But don't take my word for it. Seanbaby would know better, since he makes it his life's mission to find useless powerups and the most horrible games ever created.

black orb
01-07-2005, 05:02 AM
>>> Doom.

Crazy the Clown
01-07-2005, 05:19 AM
>>> Doom.

Found it pretty useful against the Hoovers in FFVI.

UltimateSpamGrover
01-07-2005, 05:34 AM
I forgot which FF it from from , but I remember a Blue Mage (Enemy-Skill) spell where a hammer smashes the enemy , it was supposed to take MP, but never took any.

TheSpoonyBard
01-07-2005, 11:36 PM
The Enemy Skill you are referring to is Magic Hammer, and it is from FFVII. It reduces a single enemy's MP by 100, but it does not drain it.

turnitup5000db
01-09-2005, 11:21 AM
Ok, well, in FF4, float was a must in the sylph cave and the land of the summoned monsters (the floor basically poisoned you if you weren't floating), and Reflect was about the only way to beat asura in the same game(she constantly cured herself... just put it on her and you can beat her easily), so those are both useful. Slow can sometimes be useful early on, and was actually pretty good in tactics. Berserk was very versitile - you could use it to shut up a spellcaster or to make your tanks automatically attack at a higher rate and do more damage (+ about 20-35 pct), and I have literally NEVER had it fail. Stop was only decent in tactics, but even there it didn't last long enough. Harm in FF1 Roxored. Nuff said. Scan... was ok. Even jewel had LIMITED uses. But I have never, EVER found a use for the IMP summon spell in ff4. I don't care if it IS only 1 mp, its too much to pay for 12 dmg by the time you get it, considering that by the time you usually find it, Rydia is almost always at at least Lv 15.

Del Murder
01-22-2005, 06:50 PM
I don't think I've ever used poison on an enemy. The only ones it would be useful against have immunities.

Ichimonji
01-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I would actually classify Poison to be one of the most useful spells. I use Poison a lot in RPGs and I find it very effective.

For least useful, I'd have to say Scan. Nobody really *needs* scan. It's only for people who can't experiment, or strategize. It certainly can be useful along with every other spell listed here, but it's the least useful for me.

Apollo
02-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Barrier from FFII

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-16-2005, 07:05 AM
I never liked Merton from Final Fantasy VI since it always seemed to kill all my enemies and my entire party, rendering the last however long I'd been playing utterly pointless.

JuandiegoMoogleLord
02-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Does anybody, kupo, remember that spell (...I think that it actually was the esper called crusaders...) in FFVI that basicaly pulverized your party along with the enemies? Man, that magicite was great for it could teach you nice spells like meteor, but to summon the esper was suicide! That was too silly to do, so I think it could fit in this conversation. The sprite was cool too, but that doesnt make the fact that I kept on killing my self any better... kupoooOO.... :cry:

Oh yes, I think that it is the Merton spell provided by crusaders, I agree with Oblivious Unne-san. That was a terrible thing to do. :mad:

EDIT: Please use the edit button instead of double posting. -Tax Evasion

Rase
02-17-2005, 06:49 AM
AMUT from FFI.

DJZen
02-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Barrier from FFII

You must be crazy. Barrier saves your hide if any party members don't have high magic defense (which isn't uncommon). Wall was far less useful as it canceled out only spells which were not powerful enough to pose much threat.

Warp was actually very useless, believe it or not. In battle its effects were the same as Break, only with lower accuracy. If it didn't have function outside of battle there'd be absolutely no point getting it.

Along the same lines, Poison in FFII doesn't poison or envenom enemies, it just does poison element damage. The only way to poison an enemy is with the poison axe. It's not useless though, plenty of enemies are weak against poison element.

turnitup5000db
02-18-2005, 11:40 AM
You want a truly useless spell, try sight from FFIV. Man... 3 mp and you can look at the world map. REAL nice. No other uses. And damn, the map was simple enough as it was.

kalaspappa
03-03-2005, 03:04 PM
I never ever use magic in any Final Fantasy game,. eh...

But I must say, poison is a pretty damn useless spell in my opinion.

Rase
03-04-2005, 12:20 AM
So I take it you havn't beaten FFIV then, because I'd pay to see someone beat the final boss without using healing magic.

AhhXD514
04-14-2005, 12:07 AM
THe most useless spell would probably be...Vox/AMUT in FF 1. None of my party members got silenced once in the whole game.

Masamune·1600
04-14-2005, 03:52 AM
The Enemy Skill you are referring to is Magic Hammer, and it is from FFVII. It reduces a single enemy's MP by 100, but it does not drain it.

Actually, Magic Hammer in FFVII does drain 100 MP. In fact, of the four times Magic Hammer has appeared as Blue Magic in the series, FFVII contained the only version where it drained MP. MagHammer (Magic Hammer) in FFV halves an enemy's MP. It is not drained. Similarly, Magic Hammer in FFIX and FFTA damage MP, but do not drain it.